Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi stoppage 24hour

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I can't believe the difficulty the taximen seem to be having with this basic concept.

A longer journey (also known as 'taking the scenic route') makes more money for the driver. Using a longer but faster route like erm, a motorway or two o your scenic route means the passenger is none the wiser as the journey feels faster yet the distance covered is greater ergo a higher fare.

The faster you drive, the faster the meter increments!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

murphaph wrote: »
    I can't believe the difficulty the taximen seem to be having with this basic concept.

A longer journey (also known as 'taking the scenic route') makes more money for the driver. Using a longer but faster route like erm, a motorway or two o your scenic route means the passenger is none the wiser as the journey feels faster yet the distance covered is greater ergo a higher fare.

The faster you drive, the faster the meter increments!!

Look lets put this to bed once and for all...

The meter measures on distance if the speed is over 21Kph, it measures on time below 21Kph, if the distance travelled is the same at 60Kph or 120 Kph then the meter will read the same.

I'm not talking about someone taking you the scenic route, just the facts of how a meter works.

If a driver takes you the scenic route at 60Kph the meter will STILL read the same as if he took you the scenic route at 120Kph, therefore you pay more for the scenic route not for the speed

I (and I think everyone here) knows that. The point being made (and which seems beyond taxi drivers) is that the meter clocks up km's faster when moving at 120km/h than say 60km/h, so although the journey might take less time going via the longer M50, it will cost more than going the slower, shorter route. Driver wins on both accounts 1) higher than neccessary fare and 2) faster than shorter route so back at rank sooner.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I (and I think everyone here) knows that. The point being made (and which seems beyond taxi drivers) is that the meter clocks up km's faster when moving at 120km/h than say 60km/h, so although the journey might take less time going via the longer M50, it will cost more than going the slower, shorter route. Driver wins on both accounts 1) higher than neccessary fare and 2) faster than shorter route so back at rank sooner.
    I think the Taxi Drivers can grasp it allright. If they didn't understand it they would not be so eager to take the longer but quicker route.
    I think they just like to confuse the issue.
    Anyway their day off is over an apart from 3 or 4 fools standing at the Airport roundabout I doubt anyone missed them. There was a big line of semi strikers at Omni Shopping Centre. I say semi strikers because they were only on strike till a fare came along & then the next driver in line went on strike. I LMAO it was the funniest strike I ever seen. I think the bit that taxi drivers fail to grasp is that they are self employed. Its a bit like my local shop keeper going on strike. The only person he'll upset is himself. Its as simple as this lad, The Taxi drivers had their own Celtic tiger for years but like the rest of us the good times are gone. Yis held us to ransom for years when this was an elite circle & everyone had to Q for hours for the privledge of giving you our custom. We are never going back to that so get over it & go out and earn a crust like the rest of us. If there is no longer money to be made from driving a taxi then people will stop investing in plates. Its basic economics.. As for the moaning about part timers, this one really has me baffled.. These guys are able to taxi part time still pay the car loan, the tax, the insurance etc & are able to make money.. Seems to me the full time drivers could learn a thing or 2 from these guys.

MYOB wrote: »

You mean as opposed to this route ( BTW ) your route actualy doesn't go to departures....

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=R108&daddr=53.418357,-6.252723+to:Swords+Rd&hl=en&geocode=FVLELgMdBGqg_w%3B%3BFQg2LwMdYdCg_w&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=15&via=1&sll=53.415492,-6.253667&sspn=0.012687,0.038624&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=15
    or this route
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=R108&daddr=53.418357,-6.252723+to:Swords+Rd&hl=en&geocode=FVLELgMdBGqg_w%3B%3BFQg2LwMdYdCg_w&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=15&via=1&sll=53.415492,-6.253667&sspn=0.012687,0.038624&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=15

7.9Km as opposed to 6.2 Km a difference of 1.7Km at €1.03 per Km = €1.75 hardley equates to a double the fare and if anyones measured it on their mates car or whatever and they do get double the fare then I suggest you tell your mate to get his meter calibrated or put the right size tyres back on the cab :rolleyes:

BTW seeing as the waiting time would accrue at 36c per min you would only need to be stuck at those temporary lights they had at Dardisdale for just over 4 and a half minutes to make up the difference....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

So according to your perfect calculations & you perfectly calibrated meter what would those 2 fares be???
    BTW the works on the Swords road weren't there at the time so stop blaming road works for taking the screnic route.. Last time I looked there are more roadworks on the M50 than anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

10 minutes at 60km/h is 10km and charged accordingly. 10 minutes at 30km is 5km and should cost half as much. Therefore the meter increases more quickly the faster you are going.
    It increases 'more quickly, yes. But you've also travelled twice as far!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Ste.phen wrote: »

Yeah, was walking and typing on my phone at the same time. My mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

mikemac wrote: »
    Taxi regulator sets the fare, not the drivers in fairness.
    Though most don't give discounts

Taxi regulator sets the MAXIMUM fare that is all. Any taxt can charge what he or she wants up to this maximum.

Taxi drivers have just decided to charge the maximum.

Ste.phen wrote: »
    But the original point is that the journey does not need to be as long in the first place, ie, the driver is taking the scenic route which just happens to be a motorway where the speeds are higher and so the journey is faster. Faster and more expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

ntlbell wrote: »
    I'm not one for sticking up for them.

but you can decide what route you wish him to take.

you just have to open your mouth.

In my personal experience with taxi drivers they always ask me what way I'd like to go, especially for longer journeys

I tell them to go the back way, it's just other people that get the shaft

koolkid wrote: »
    See my previous post ..
    Via back road €15
    M50 €25-30
    Ok if the fare comes to €28.50 its not quite double, providing your prepared to wait while the driver fumbles for the change waiting for you to say its ok..

Would you not agree 5 minutes going at speed makes makes more than 5 minutes going a shorter distence???
    So according to your perfect calculations & you perfectly calibrated meter what would those 2 fares be???
    BTW the works on the Swords road weren't there at the time so stop blaming road works for taking the screnic route.. Last time I looked there are more roadworks on the M50 than anywhere else.

Why would I know what the actual fare is, all I'm proving is that
    a/ You're wrong when you say the fare is double going the M50
    and
    b/ Like most people never let the real facts intrude on an argument

But the original point is that the journey does not need to be as long in the first place, ie, the driver is taking the scenic route which just happens to be a motorway where the speeds are higher and so the journey is faster. Faster and more expensive.

BUT You still miss out on the point you are able to reasonably direct the driver, also jsut as a little pointer as to why taxi drivers get realy pissed off with the regulator....
    As a SPSV operator it is your responsibility to:

Not to unreasonably refuse service for journeys under 30k; (please note that this requirement does not apply in the case of pre-booked services).
    Not charge more than the metered fare unless a customer has waived, in writing, their right to have the fare charged on the meter.
    The driver of a taxi or a wheelchair accessible taxi shall not operate as a small public service vehicle unless the taximeter fitted to the vehicle he or she is driving is properly calibrated in accordance with the current maximum fare.
    When a maximum fares order is made by the Commission for Taxi Regulation, the holder of a taxi or wheelchair accessible taxi licence has a period of 21 days from the date on which the maximum fares order comes into operation within which to calibrate his or her taximeter in relation to the current maximum fare.
    Not charge more than the agreed fare when travelling by hackney or limousine;
    Follow direction or route chosen.
    Carry a guide dog/mobility aid at no extra charge;
    Be courteous and helpful;
    Be well presented;
    Know the major routes and destinations;
    Drive a clean and roadworthy vehicle;
    Display a Tamper proof disc when such a disc has been provided;
    Display new licence number within 28 days of issue;
    Comply with regulations in relation to seatbelts.
    Give a printed receipt on payment for taxi journey, and to give a written receipt on payment at the end of a hackney or limousine journey. Read more information on receipt requirements.
    Display driver identification card with required info as determined and when supplied by the Commission for Taxi Regulation
    Display in-vehicle information as required and supplied by the Commission for Taxi Regulation. Information referred to includes:
    The rights and obligations of consumers relevant to the class of small public service vehicle concerned;
    In taxis, details of the current maximum fare;
    The vehicle licence number;
    Such other information as may be determined and supplied by the Commission for Taxi Regulation

Not one word on taking the shortest route, so in theory if you don't direct the driver and he took you via the Malahide Road and N32 he would be within his rights to obtain payment from you for that journey and your only "LEGAL" recourse is to pay it, obtain a receipt and then complain to the Taxi Regulator......good isn't it!

knipex wrote: »
    Taxi regulator sets the MAXIMUM fare that is all. Any taxt can charge what he or she wants up to this maximum.

Taxi drivers have just decided to charge the maximum.
    Now theres an idea why dont the full timers start a price war with the part timers??
    Spook_ie wrote: »
    Why would I know what the actual fare is?
    Exactly...
    BUT You still miss out on the point you are able to reasonably direct the driver
    Ohh silly me its the customers fault....:eek::rolleyes:
    Is the taxi man not supposed to have a knowledge of the best routes??
    I could have sworn that was part of the test:rolleyes:
    What happens the poor visitors who come to our country & don,t know the best route? Thats right its their fault. How dare you not know you way for that I'm going to rip you off. Hmm your going to Malahide your best bet would be the M50 to Bray back down the N11 over the East Link & Under the Port Tunnell that will be €100 oh did I mention the 3 tolls.:rolleyes:
    And still taxi drivers wonder why they get no support from the public. You will get about as much support as a poor banker or a poor property devoloper:D

I note there was no answer as to why the part timers are able to make money but the full timers can't.. Also no answer as to why everyone keeps investing in taxi plates if there is no money to be made..
    I know quite a few taxi men who are making a very good living, I dont know any who are not.(except the ones I have to listen to every time i need a cab)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

funny that. im a cab driver and got a call from churchfields ash today and went the old n2 and the back of the airport? dont think you can say that about all us cab drivers 27 euro was the fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Well it's all a bit of an issue out of nothing really. If price is such a key issue then get the bus home from the airport. Usually when even going on holiday or on business there is no shortage of people waiting to rip you off so why not the taxis get a piece of the pie too?

The same people complaining about this difference in price from the airport have probably spent the last week drinking cocktails at ten bucks a pop in Ibiza and bought a Ryanair sausage roll for €6 and a drink of water from Hughes and Hughes for €3.

Now theres an idea why dont the full timers start a price war with the part timers??

Exactly...

Ohh silly me its the customers fault....:eek::rolleyes:
    Is the taxi man not supposed to have a knowledge of the best routes??
    I could have sworn that was part of the test:rolleyes:
    What happens the poor visitors who come to our country & don,t know the best route? Thats right its their fault. How dare you not know you way for that I'm going to rip you off. Hmm your going to Malahide your best bet would be the M50 to Bray back down the N11 over the East Link & Under the Port Tunnell that will be €100 oh did I mention the 3 tolls.:rolleyes:
    And still taxi drivers wonder why they get no support from the public. You will get about as much support as a poor banker or a poor property devoloper:D

I note there was no answer as to why the part timers are able to make money but the full timers can't.. Also no answer as to why everyone keeps investing in taxi plates if there is no money to be made..
    I know quite a few taxi men who are making a very good living, I dont know any who are not.(except the ones I have to listen to every time i need a cab)

Why are you going onto me about it, I haven't taken charge of the taxi regulators office, I'm merely pointing out that before the advent of the TRs office the onus was on the taxi driver to KNOW the most expeditious route ( note this may/may not be the shortest! ) the onus now is as the excerpt from the TRs website says, you ( the customer ) have the right to dictate the route. If you don't know the route and the taximan doesn't know ( or pretends not to know ) where do you go from there.

Part of the protests aims are to highlight the ineffiencies and vagaries of the TRs system especialy with regard to driver licensing and area knowledge. Not wanting to enter into racist mode ( which means it's going to sound racist to some ) but answer me this question, If you are meant to do a written exam for the Dublin area, with a pass mark of 80%, how come I ( and other taxi drivers ) hear so many complaints of drivers who can't/won't/don't speak English or Irish? Back off the potentialy racist side and answer me this question, how come so many drivers of taxis (particularly on a Friday/Saturday night don't/won't show their driver IDs in the correct manner ( so that you can see the area they are licensed to work in )? Answer me another question, how come you now see more and more taxis where the background to the yellow sticker has been trimmed so that all you have is a square sticker? Answer me this one, why are the Gardai and TRs team of 9 ( yes 9 ) enforcement officers concentrating on doing drivers for being at the back of a queue for a rank ( admitted it is a broken law ) instead of concentrating on the bogus drivers out there ( bogus can mean not licensed for a particular area or not licensed at all )? A lot of questions but TR/Gardai and Dempsey are very short on answers......

Now to your questions, the one about taximen supposed to know the best route, have a look at the above questions and you might find part of the answer in there.
    Part timers able to make money, ( assumption that you are refering to double Jobbers ) they may have the same overheads as full time taxidrivers with regard to the vehicles, what they don't have is the requirement to be able to pay for their own sickness time ( entitlement to sickpay ), they don't have the requirement to take any holiday as unpaid ( all PAYE employees are entitled to statutary holiday pay ), they ( at the moment ) don't have any requirement to honestly declare if they worked 1 weekend in 4 or every weekend, yes I know that this is going to generate the usual comments of some fulltime taxidrivers not declaring all their income but the revenue have no way of identifying if a part time driver has worked or not, whereas the likely hood of a full time driver working is nearer to 100%, if a part time driver is on 42% tax then the "losses" of running a taxi can be offset against other taxable income.....want me to go on?

As to investing in taxiplates, God knows, maybe they keep listening to the part timers in the pub telling them how easy it is to top up their PAYE, maybe they just don't listen full stop, maybe they have just been made redundant and think it'll be a nice earner to tide them over until they get a better job or maybe the SW have induced them to enter the workforce by means of the BWEA (Back To Work Enterprise Allowence ) and get them off the live register (11% of BWEA were for taking up jobs in the transport industry, but no record was made of it being in courior/taxi or delivery services! ) Your guess is as good as mine, but if it's because they think it's a path to riches they'd do better to think again.

I think you need to get your taximen mates drunk and pump them for the real info

The same people complaining about this difference in price from the airport have probably spent the last week drinking cocktails at ten bucks a pop in Ibiza and bought a Ryanair sausage roll for €6 and a drink of water from Hughes and Hughes for €3.

Quite the reverse actually..
    Getting a taxi 12k from Airport in Lanzarote for only €9.50
    And getting meal & drinks for a lot cheeper as well... but thats another story.

As for complaing about not having the entitlements of full time workers...
    Thats what come with being self employed. If its so terrible & you cant hack it then get out of the business. Anyone whos self employed is in the same boat. If you can't make a living find a new career & stop blaming everyone else. I never seen a group of people with such a chip on thier shoulder about people having 2 jobs. If a lad works 40 hours & then does another 20 driving a taxi to get an extra few bob then fair play to him. Jezzzz such a bunch of begrudgers.
    PS I dont need to get my friends drunk. I know thier telling the truth.

Quite the reverse actually..
    Getting a taxi 12k from Airport in Lanzarote for only €9.50
    And getting meal & drinks for a lot cheeper as well... but thats another story.

As for complaing about not having the entitlements of full time workers...
    Thats what come with being self employed. If its so terrible & you cant hack it then get out of the business. Anyone whos self employed is in the same boat. If you can't make a living find a new career & stop blaming everyone else. I never seen a group of people with such a chip on thier shoulder about people having 2 jobs. If a lad works 40 hours & then does another 20 driving a taxi to get an extra few bob then fair play to him. Jezzzz such a bunch of begrudgers.
    PS I dont need to get my friends drunk. I know thier telling the truth.

That's what I don't understand about some people's attitude, they think it's perfectly fine for the business to find it's own level, but then they condone factors that won't allow it to find it's own level. I've said it before and I'll say it again, "If I'm competing on a level playing field and I can't hack it, then I'll gladly get out " but until it's a level playing field I'll support any protests until someone steamrollers the lumps out of it, and if that includes anybodies mates down the pub then so be it because I can't see why anyone would support double jobbing unless they have a vested interest.

Working two jobs to take care of kith and kin is highly admirable to the rest of society. To a 'proper' taximan evidently it is like being a 'scab' or somesuch. Just shows how far apart taximen are from the rest of society.

Keep up the 'strikes'. The government is ignoring you as you have zero support from the electorate and that's all that counts to governments.

• Advertisement

"If I'm competing on a level playing field and I can't hack it, then I'll gladly get out "
    Define a level playing field?? Is limiting competition a level playing field.?
    So if you owned a newsagents in Dublin & business gets bad do you blame the government & protest untill they put a cap on the number of newagents in the country?
    Even on what you call a level playing field you do not compete for business you all charge the highest price allowed. if you want to be self employed & successfull then get some business savvy. Why not use that sign on top of your car & advertize cheaper prices. If I work 40 hours a week & don't make enough to provide for my family then I get of my arse & work more. If that doesn't work I'll get a job that will provide for us or work 2 jobs.
    I can't see why anyone would support double jobbing unless they have a vested interest.
    Jeezzz get over yourself will you.. If people get out and work 2 jobs to make a better life for themselves what is your problem?
    Is that going to be your next set of demands ? put a cap on the number of jobs someone can have?
    Even your strike is half arsed..(besides the fact that ye are self employed) Pick a time when ye are not busy anyway.
    Why was your strike not on a Friday night or Saturday night?? Oh yeah!! you might have lost a few quid.

Define a level playing field?? Is limiting competition a level playing field.?
    So if you owned a newsagents in Dublin & business gets bad do you blame the government & protest untill they put a cap on the number of newagents in the country?
    Even on what you call a level playing field you do not compete for business you all charge the highest price allowed. if you want to be self employed & successfull then get some business savvy. Why not use that sign on top of your car & advertize cheaper prices. If I work 40 hours a week & don't make enough to provide for my family then I get of my arse & work more. If that doesn't work I'll get a job that will provide for us or work 2 jobs.

Jeezzz get over yourself will you.. If people get out and work 2 jobs to make a better life for themselves what is your problem?
    Is that going to be your next set of demands ? put a cap on the number of jobs someone can have?
    Even your strike is half arsed..(besides the fact that ye are self employed) Pick a time when ye are not busy anyway.
    Why was your strike not on a Friday night or Saturday night?? Oh yeah!! you might have lost a few quid.

You can't define what I might or might not do given a level playing field ( one where interference from Government subsidies interfers ) but a level playing field is something far from what is in situ at the moment, but your idea of advertising a discount on the roof sign isn't allowed by the taxi regulator, I could put a sign on the doors but then you wouldn't see this until after I had driven past you, so would seem to be pointless. However if the protests acheived an increase in rank spaces then it might become more viable as at least I would be able to stop the cab and wait for passing custom to read the sign. Of course I could just put the sign up and park illegaly ( which seems to be another constant source of irritation about taxi drivers ) and risk the €250 fine.

If I owned a newsagent in Dublin and someone wanted to open up near to me the 1st thing I would be doing would be delaying him by objecting to any planning consents he needed for shop alterations, signage etc. Objections on the traffic problems likely to be caused by cars stopping outside their shop etc. Because even in your simplistic view of the world you are not likely to get news agents opening adjacent to each other.

As for getting off my arse and working more or working two jobs, what do you think driving a taxi for 60-70 ( some guys reckon they do getting on to 90 hours ) hours a week is, it's a job and a half based on a normal working week, even though officialy by law we aren't supposed to work excessive shifts of over 11 hours in any 3 days, but we do it because we are competing on an uneven footing with part time double jobbers and BWEA applicants.

As for getting a life for myself, I have one, but that doesn't mean I can't see the folly of allowing people to double job in the taxi industry, if you wanna drive a taxi, fine, but if you wanna drive a taxi in addition to a PAYE job then don't expect me or any other full time taxi driver to agree with allowing people to cherry pick the weekends and force us into working ever longer hours to stand still..

Working two jobs to take care of kith and kin is highly admirable to the rest of society. To a 'proper' taximan evidently it is like being a 'scab' or somesuch. Just shows how far apart taximen are from the rest of society.

Keep up the 'strikes'. The government is ignoring you as you have zero support from the electorate and that's all that counts to governments.

If you need to take on a taxi job part time as well as your PAYE job to take care of kith and kin, then why not just do the taxi job full time, after all we're raking in the money, ah, but I forget then you'd have to be playing on a level playing field without the advantages of being PAYE and having to stand on your own two feet without having something to fall back on when things go awry..

• Registered Users Posts: 5 merc330

Spook something I'm not getting here.

You come across as a decent chap on this forum, but then you host a forum IRISHTAXIDRIVERS.COM which is blantly racist with a level of bullying and intimidation which would shame even stormfront.

I dare anyone to spend 30 minutes browsing that site, its pretty damn disgusting. Your allowing your members to constantly mouth off about anyone from part timers (you have one member asking for your guys to rat these out by PM'ing him with plate numbers, names & addresses, vehicle type, their full time job discription etc) to chinese grandmothers and 'African scammers' and almost every other minority group in this country who might try tip their toes into the waters of the taxi industry.

Then your allowing other's to post up details of "SCABS" (a term thrown about regularly this week on your site) including at least one photo of a taxi out working during the protest, or would you prefer now to call it a "strike"?.

I really don't get you and your members.

Was this a 'strike' or a 'protest', tbh your site is nothing but a shower of bottom feeding pond life.

As I said, you come across here as a decent and honest driver so why do you risk associating yourself with the type of scum on your forum?.

your idea of advertising a discount on the roof sign isn't allowed by the taxi regulator,
    Then advertise on the raido, give out cards to customers with you number 10% discount next trip etc... If you want business drum it up, thats what other self employed people do.
    If I owned a newsagent in Dublin and someone wanted to open up near to me the 1st thing I would be doing would be delaying him by objecting to any planning consents he needed for shop alterations, signage etc. Objections on the traffic problems likely to be caused by cars stopping outside their shop etc.
    That statment alone shows exactly why Taxi drivers will never get the support of the public. Who do you think you are that you should be allowed do business but others arn't...Your mentality here baffles me:confused:
    As for getting off my arse and working more or working two jobs, what do you think driving a taxi for 60-70 ( some guys reckon they do getting on to 90 hours ) hours a week
    Hang on a sec!!!!!
    Isn't that the taxi drivers argument against part timers??
    One one hand you argue that part time drivers are a health & safety issue because of working long hours & fatigue & tiredness is dangerous. but at the same time its ok for yous to work that lenght:confused:
    Again you want everything your way
    we aren't supposed to work excessive shifts of over 11 hours in any 3 days, but we do it because we are competing on an uneven footing with part time double jobbers and BWEA applicants.
    Please explain what is so uneven??
    If you wanted to do a second job do you think anyone else would be out moaning??
    As for getting a life for myself, I have one, but that doesn't mean I can't see the folly of allowing people to double job in the taxi industry, if you wanna drive a taxi, fine, but if you wanna drive a taxi in addition to a PAYE job then don't expect me or any other full time taxi driver to agree with allowing people to cherry pick the weekends and force us into working ever longer hours to stand still..
    And why do you think you have the right to determine the level of competition in a given industry??
    In every other business companys or individual compete or go out of business. Again I ask why should taxis be any different...
    Honestly though if you are out 90 hours a week and not getting a wage your doing something wrong. I have spoken to 4 friends yesterday who make €500- €600 part time. And no they are not drunk & they are not telling me lies. An hour in a taxi could be around €50, so for your 90 hours working your must be only actually working 20 or so.. Too much gossiping & reading the paper on the ranks I'd imagine.

PS I looked at that site. Its a discrace & its really not doing yis any favours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

Then advertise on the raido, give out cards to customers with you number 10% discount next trip etc... If you want business drum it up, thats what other self employed people do.

That statment alone shows exactly why Taxi drivers will never get the support of the public. Who do you think you are that you should be allowed do business but others arn't...Your mentality here baffles me:confused:

Hang on a sec!!!!!
    Isn't that the taxi drivers argument against part timers??
    One one hand you argue that part time drivers are a health & safety issue because of working long hours & fatigue & tiredness is dangerous. but at the same time its ok for yous to work that lenght:confused:
    Again you want everything your way

Please explain what is so uneven??
    If you wanted to do a second job do you think anyone else would be out moaning??

And why do you think you have the right to determine the level of competition in a given industry??
    In every other business companys or individual compete or go out of business. Again I ask why should taxis be any different...
    Honestly though if you are out 90 hours a week and not getting a wage your doing something wrong. I have spoken to 4 friends yesterday who make €500- €600 part time. And no they are not drunk & they are not telling me lies. An hour in a taxi could be around €50, so for your 90 hours working your must be only actually working 20 or so.. Too much gossiping & reading the paper on the ranks I'd imagine.

PS I looked at that site. Its a discrace & its really not doing yis any favours.
    I have read all your comments on this thread with both amusement and interest.
    But I can tell you this ,hand on heart ,NO driver is making 50 euro an hour. and i also dispute "your friends" making 500 -600 euro part time.Even the biggest spoofers in the taxi business dont make that kind of money .
    I can tell you HONESTLY I work days i am a full time driver and my average amount of fares in a 12 hour shift is 4.
    Yesterday I started at 645am and finished at 6, i had 3 fares all day ..
    Now if you would like to give me your part timer friends phone number i would be delighted to ask them how they are doing so well .Go on please do ,PM me

oisindoyle wrote: »
    I
    Now if you would like to give me your part timer friends phone number i would be delighted to ask them how they are doing so well .Go on please do ,PM me

I would advise against that, as Koolkids friends risk this information being passed onto 'GERRY' in this thread over on spooks forum; http://s3.zetaboards.com/Irish_Taxis/topic/7149736/1/

Be advised Koolkid, there are nasty people over on that site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

that taxi driver forum should be made more public so that joe customer can see what kind of life form they support if they pay their journey fare...

that taxi driver forum should be made more public so that joe customer can see what kind of life form they support if they pay their journey fare...

In fairness the few there who are very obviously the very worst examples don't (I hope) represent the majority of taxi drivers in this country.

However Spook (as the site owner) must shoulder some of the blaim for their behaviour, no matter how decent a driver he comes across here.

I can't help but wonder does he condone in some small part their views?.

Spook, Monday gone, was it a protest or strike & are the driver's who worked "SCABS" (a quote taken from YOUR site, although not used by you).

Racists, thugs and bully boys thats what your associating with when you use or host a forum like that thing.

• Advertisement

I have read all your comments on this thread with both amusement and interest.
    But I can tell you this ,hand on heart ,NO driver is making 50 euro an hour. and i also dispute "your friends" making 500 -600 euro part time.
    Disput all you want, all I can say is I know they are. They are level headed people & have no reason to spoof.
    I can tell you HONESTLY I work days i am a full time driver and my average amount of fares in a 12 hour shift is 4.
    Yesterday I started at 645am and finished at 6, i had 3 fares all day ..
    If the business is that bad then get out of it. As there is no cap on the number of licences (Thank God) they will be plenty who will take your place. I don't know why you arn't making money, as a self employed person it is up to you to figure out what you are doing wrong insted of blaming the government & everyone else. HONESTLY if it is so hard to make a living then you shouldn't have to worry about a cap on licences, people would not be getting into the industry if things were that bad.
    You say you worked nearly 12 hours yesterday & got 3 fares?? I find that hard to believe. Where & what way are you working? Are you joining a rank with a big long Q??? I just left Blanchardstown centre & there was about 100 cars just sitting there. Seriousally??? Whats the point ? Wait a hour & then complain when you get a local fare??
    There are other industry's struggling to get business at the moment but you don't see them having half arsed protests for the government to put a cap on their competition. I am still waiting on an answer why taxi's should be singled out for special protection..
    I am still waiting on an answer as to why people doing 2 jobs are a danger from working long hours but taxi drivers ar'nt.
    Look trough the different threads here honestly why do you think the taxi drivers are getting no support?
    You are all in denial... Someone makes a point deny it!
    Someone is making money driving a taxi ,deny it
    The level of service is much better from taxi's since deregulation, deny it.

Any chance of some answers ? or just more denial!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement