Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi stoppage 24hour

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

oisindoyle wrote: »
    NOOOOOOOOOoooo its doesnt move any quicker if the car is going faster

it's on one of two things

distance or time right?

so if your doing 70 on the m50 and th m50 is a longer route but you do the distance quicker because of the speed

then surley you make more money for going the longer distance route which is the m50 but you clock up the distance quickeer because of the speed?

can you clear it up?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Well, it does, as you cover the kilometre in a shorter period of time... if you're doing 60km/h it ticks over your 1.03 in 1 minute, if you're doing 120km/h it ticks it over in 30 seconds...

You pay the same amount for the distance no matter what the speed is (once moving above 21km/h obviously); so while the M50 at clear times and without the roadworks would be faster; it'd cost more.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Would you care to post a video to back that up.......???
    So in other words if you drive for half an our at 100KPH & half an hour @ 20KPM the fare will be the same????

Its no wonder people pay no attention to the taxi mens disputes....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

koolkid wrote: »
    So in other words if you drive for half an our at 100KPH & half an hour @ 20KPM the fare will be the same????

lol lol lol This is just too much ,,,LOL LOL Im off to bed ,,,,,,,

lol lol lol This is just too much ,,,LOL LOL Im off to bed ,,,,,,,

lol lol lol lol?

don't go, you're the craic,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

half an hour at 100km/h = 14 km at 1.03, 15 at 1.35 and 1 at 1.77; half an hour at 20km/h = 30 minutes at 0.36

Quid a big difference!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

MYOB wrote: »
    Absolutely not. From Ballymun, continue up the Ballymun Road under the M50, turn right, down the side of the aiport, turn left - you're there. Frequently no traffic there either vs. heavy traffic at the M1/M50 interchange. Reverse that for the quoted direction obviously...

But Dub's know that you...
    MYOB wrote: »
    Dubs vs. non-Dubs knowledge of the city probably (I take it you're a Dub? If not my point falls apart entirely...)

As a non-Dub the road down the side of the airport *is* the most obvious route :D

Driver OVER the M50 junction two of the M50 and not under it!.

;)

Mairt wrote: »
    But Dub's know that you...

Driver OVER the M50 junction two of the M50 and not under it!.

;)

Indeed you do, I was, erm.... yeah... *slinks in to the distance*

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Just to clarify one or two things....

The meter will clock up the same amount for the same distance regardless of the speed as long as the speed is in excess of 21 Kph.

The route to Ballymun from the airport IS shorter by going down the side of the airport as long as it is Ballymun and not some of the areas surrounding it like Ballymun Plaza Land and Santry Avenue, but also to note would have been the temporary lights that were at the junction of the Dardistown cemetry, they were having a significant effect on the fares if you caught them on red and while temporary lights are on there I would always give the customer the option of which route they wanted...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Just to clarify one or two things....

The meter will clock up the same amount for the same distance regardless of the speed as long as the speed is in excess of 21 Kph.

The route to Ballymun from the airport IS shorter by going down the side of the airport as long as it is Ballymun and not some of the areas surrounding it like Ballymun Plaza Land and Santry Avenue, but also to note would have been the temporary lights that were at the junction of the Dardistown cemetry, they were having a significant effect on the fares if you caught them on red and while temporary lights are on there I would always give the customer the option of which route they wanted...

In typical Taxi man style theres always a logical reason :rolleyes:
    When your giving the option do you always explain it may be twice the price :rolleyes:
    Anyway lads I was just posting an example of our overpriced taxi service.
    Wasn't expecting this response. To all the taxi men , enjoy your day off, sure its a quiet enough day, yis wont be missed. A quick tip for the future if you want to make an impact try going on strike Friday afternoon till Sunday evening. Although I'm sure there is an excellant reason why yis won't.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Passed plenty of taxis on the way in, for hire not heading to protest. Also was stopped alongside one where the driver was working and had taken off his roof sign! Yellow discs, meter so definately a taxi not a hack. Must have been working off a radio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Yeah, saw a fair few myself this morning. Was listening to radio 1 news and whatever reporter they had said there were very few but I think he just stayed around Heuston station as there were lots all over the place. Also noticed there was no taxis picketing the Sackville Terrace rank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭MiniD

I came across the city this morning and saw lots of taxis in service too. I spotted a good few in the bus lanes on the quays and loads around college green and along the canal too. There doesn't seem to be the complete stoppage as was suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

All the ranks on Patrick st in Cork were empty bar one, which had 4 drivers having a chat outside their cars. They had a couple of small protest signs up, and in the 90 seconds or so it took me to walk past, I saw them turn 5 fares away.

i thought most drivers have their "Monday Club" this morning anyway?

MiniD wrote: »
    I came across the city this morning and saw lots of taxis in service too. I spotted a good few in the bus lanes on the quays and loads around college green and along the canal too. There doesn't seem to be the complete stoppage as was suggested.
    ya see there is money to be made driving a taxi, if your prepared to work insted of moaning about it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mad Finn

They initially were going toprotest later in the week but it was then moved to join with the ICTU ,That was cancelled so the taxi one remains ,,,,,
    People only strike/protest as a last resort ,,Dont understand why many on this forum are so hate filled,,,its pathetic really

Disagreeing with somebody's point of view does not automatically mean one is "hate filled."

Those of us who remember what it was like in the days when there was a cap on licence numbers are pretty determined that we don't want to go back there. We don't like that idea. In fact, some of us hate it. But it's a case of hating the sin, not the sinner.

Over 200 taxi licenses issued last March. Only about 30 issued in February. Doesn't seem much of a case for a new cap to me.

So, no. I don't have any sympathy for the aims of this stoppage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

So the fare on the meter doesn't go faster if your driving faster???:rolleyes:
    thats the funnist thing ive ever heard,,,thanks for the laugh

Sometimes its 'tis better to be thought of as muppet than too open your... Oh you know the rest without me resorting to insults I'm sure :P

From the fare card (I took it from the regulators website)..

Lower left corner..

attachment.php?attachmentid=76040&stc=1&d=1238423468

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Mairt wrote: »
    Sometimes its 'tis better to be thought of as muppet than too open your... Oh you know the rest without me resorting to insults I'm sure :P

From the fare card (I took it from the regulators website)..

Lower left corner..

attachment.php?attachmentid=76040&stc=1&d=1238423468

It's amazing that it seems to be the taxi drivers who don't understand the fare system.

10 minutes at 60km/h is 10km and charged accordingly. 10 minutes at 30km is 5km and should cost half as much. Therefore the meter increases more quickly the faster you are going.

You can get someone along a route in a quicker time but a greater distance due to the quality of the road.

In this case it will cost the customer more for the same journey to take the quicker option.

What is so difficult about that?

So the faster you drive the faster the fare goes up...
    I could have sworn thats what I said.

Mairt..
    If I drive the shortest route from the Airport & it takes 15 minutes we will call that fare A
    If I drive the longer route from the Airport via M1 , M50 R108 & it takes 5 minutes we will call that fare B
    Are you saying fare B will not be dearer than fare A???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

ntlbell wrote: »
    i thought most drivers have their "Monday Club" this morning anyway?
    aye, tis a busy day generally on the various golf courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I saw the report on TV3 news. Some of it here. Taxi driver said that working from 9AM to 6PM, he would be lucky to get €40 to €50, before expenses such as fuel. Surely that's not right? Seems to be an element of racism present too.

That video doesn't include the section about how the union apparently don't allow non-nationals in. The reporter seemed a bit surprised when he was told this by a foreigner who was actually working. He then confronted some Union guy, saying "Isn't this illegal?" and got some half-arsed excuse about their union rules not having changed. Like union rules overrule the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Well I think the drivers are fairly hacked off with the unions at present as well. These protests are apparently done without union involvement but the unions are trying to piggyback onto them and claim credit.

Kahless wrote: »
    Taxi driver said that working from 9AM to 6PM, he would be lucky to get €40 to €50, before expenses such as fuel. Surely that's not right? .

Its not ... Its absolute rubbish. Maybe thats what they are declaring :rolleyes:
    For 9 hours on the road they only actually have fare for about an hour...
    Amazing!!!
    Yet anytime I'm going anywhere (day or night) I have to falg about 20 empty taxis before one stops.
    Mybe they should all stop drinking coffee in the garages, ya wont pick up a fare there. Incidently in my experience its the foreign nationals who make the money because they are happey to work for it. A few weeks back looking for a taxi to Dunboyne from Blanchardstown Centre rank. The first 3 irish lads were too busy & wern't going my way. The 4th ( a foreign national BTW) was more than happy to have the business (€30+€5 tip for 20 minutes work). Every business is the same in the currant climate you have to make the effort to get your share of the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

If you wanted a taxi in Dublin today you could have got one easily.

Not as many taxis around but plenty were working.

And wasnt it fantastic the speed of the bus without the taxis clogging up the bus lanes.
    I thnk taxis should be banned from the bus lanes. It would make taking the bus so much faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

If you're going from Ashbourne to the airport I guarentee they'll go on the M50 instead of the back road to the airport. The M50 is about 8km longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭scorpioishere

Those taxis drivers who are protesting are the ones who own mercedes, houses in spain, france , thailand, who goes on holidays 5 times a year, who have expensive little luxuries. Its obvious the poor ones were working today. I know all their tricks as they told me themselves. Few years ago i was getting taxis to go to work for 1 year by my company as i had to work early shift so during our chat in the car they told me about their lives. Holidays somewhere, buying this, selling that...

They look like a clown at the airport roundabout. So stupid, arrogant and lazy ****ers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

A lad in work was getting a taxi with his wife and kid from the airport to Clarehall on Saturday after arriving back from holidays.
    The taxi driver swore at him because it was "not worth me effin' time, I've been queuing for hours and get this poxy fare"

I asked the guy did he get another cab. He replied no. He took that one because the driver would then have to go to the back of the queue after dropping him off and it would serve him right for being so ignorant.

Quint wrote: »
    If you're going from Ashbourne to the airport I guarentee they'll go on the M50 instead of the back road to the airport. The M50 is about 8km longer.

I'm not one for sticking up for them.

but you can decide what route you wish him to take.

you just have to open your mouth.

In my personal experience with taxi drivers they always ask me what way I'd like to go, especially for longer journeys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

It's amazing that it seems to be the taxi drivers who don't understand the fare system.

10 minutes at 60km/h is 10km and charged accordingly. 10 minutes at 30km is 5km and should cost half as much. Therefore the meter increases more quickly the faster you are going.

You can get someone along a route in a quicker time but a greater distance due to the quality of the road.

In this case it will cost the customer more for the same journey to take the quicker option.

What is so difficult about that?

What? You drive 10 Km at 60Kph or you drive 10Km at 30Kph the distance is the same and unless you are at a speed lower than 21Kph then the fare is the same, now if you are trying to say that the hourly rate that would be calculable is higher then say that, don't muddy the water............

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement