Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eastenders [News, Spoilers and Discussion]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭emanresu esrever

Its definitely not post watershed stuff, if it had been after the watershed it would have been much more graphic than it was. I think a simple warning to parents at the start that it contains graphic material. It's the responsibility of parents to monitor their kids tv consumption not the scheduling folk at the bbc.
    Also older children should be told about rape, they have to be aware of what happens in the real world, something like this creates the opportunity to talk to your children about rape, and consent in a responsible way rather than hiding it from them.

Again difference of opinion. There is no right\wrpng answer really as to what we find suitable viewing for children. My point was a reply to the point a poster made that it wasnt a rape scene. Which it clearly was. Was there a warning beforehand?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Seriously, all we saw was Dean put her down on the table and then her shocked reaction afterwards. Everything was implicit rather than explicit. Also, all emanresu esrever ever does is complain on here, so I'm finding this faux outrage a bit difficult to take seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭masonchat

Tasden wrote: »
    In relation to her freezing and the fact she could have called for help with her kids downstairs, I thought it was pretty realistic. Trying to fight him off unsuccessfully and after everything that had happened earlier in the evening calling out to her kids to help her may have seemed almost unfair on them (its their family, nancy had asked earlier if he had been trying it on and linda said no so there's the issue of blame there too almost, they'd have to witness it all and help without mick being there, she had only told them earlier too that she wouldn't let anything happen to them iirc), just all those types of things going through her head and then just freezing and zoning out because once she didn't call out in the first few minutes she had no other option.

Like i think the music was to show that she may have either called out and nobody heard her or that dean knew he wouldn't get caught cause nobody would hear what was happening so regardless of how she acted or struggled no one could have helped.

I dunno if they gave one or not but i think a warning beforehand of distressing scenes would suffice tbh. Most viewers were expecting a storyline of that nature so no point messing around with times because of it but a notice that it was being shown in that episode for those that didn't know would have been enough imo.

I think the back of her head to his face would have helped, thats what i would have prefered to have seen.

I get where they want to take the story , but linda has no physical fear of dean and due to that would most likely imo at least try to fight him off.

If a little old lady walks up to me and asks for my wallet im going to say no, if she tries to take it i will resist because i dont fear her, give her a gun or a knife and she can have my wallet.

Dont forget she has a war vet downstairs is in her own home has no fear of dean i just dont get it and i wonder if it sends the wrong message

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Again difference of opinion. There is no right\wrpng answer really as to what we find suitable viewing for children. My point was a reply to the point a poster made that it wasnt a rape scene. Which it clearly was. Was there a warning beforehand?

if it means so much why didnt you just wait till 9 to watch it? theres that rte+1 channel on saorview....then you get to watch it after the watershed? then no reason to complain.

Seriously, all we saw was Dean put her down on the table and then her shocked reaction afterwards. Everything was implicit rather than explicit. Also, all emanresu esrever ever does is complain on here, so I'm finding this faux outrage a bit difficult to take seriously.

No need to get personal. Its not outrage anyway. Im just stating my opinion

• Advertisement

if it means so much why didnt you just wait till 9 to watch it? theres that rte+1 channel on saorview....then you get to watch it after the watershed? then no reason to complain.

I think you are completely misinterpteting what i am saying . But gang up if you will. I didnt find it offensive viewing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

masonchat wrote: »
    I think the back of her head to his face would have helped, thats what i would have prefered to have seen.

I get where they want to take the story , but linda has no physical fear of dean and due to that would most likely imo at least try to fight him off.

If a little old lady walks up to me and asks for my wallet im going to say no, if she tries to take it i will resist because i dont fear her, give her a gun or a knife and she can have my wallet.

Dont forget she has a war vet downstairs is in her own home has no fear of dean i just dont get it and i wonder if it sends the wrong message

But its not the fear of the person that causes that reaction, its the situation, especially if its involving someone you haven't feared previously. Its shock and then fear. Not fear for your life necessarily just of what is actually happening.

The fact that lee is downstairs doesn't mean anything to her in that moment tbh, hes just her child and no mother wants their child to either have to protect them or see them in that position, not to mention witnessing their "cousin" doing it and then the fallout of that. I honestly think its extremely realistic. Not necessarily the only way they could have went with it but I wouldn't see any problems with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

It was watched on BBC NI in our household (This it what UPC broadcast) and there was a warning on beforehand

but in fairness if you were switching over from another soap you could have missed it

Plus pretty sure there have been topics like this dealt with in Home and Away over the years which is on much earlier and more likely to have younger viewers and I don't think it has scarred too many children, if they are old enough to watch a soap then they are old enough to ahve these things explained to them

Despite being shown before the watershed I don't think things that go on in most soaps such as murders and violence are really suitable for young kids anyway

278 people complained about last night Eastenders oh piss off is what i say to you

Here is the remote change the channel

as for you parents if your child is in the room while something unsuitable is on its up to you to turn off the tv or change the channel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

278 people complained about last night Eastenders oh piss off is what i say to you

as for you parents if your child is in the room while something unsuitable is on its up to you to turn off the tv or change the channel

I echo this completely!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭kilkenny12

But what was the point of havimg it on then if you nees to turn it off straight away! Surely the logical thing is to have it on post watershed and then it can be viewed.

If you disagree thats your perogative but it makes sense to me!

You sound silly.

Btw, they can't just change the time of a regular tv programme cause people expect it to be on at 7.30 or 8 and people have other things to do/watch at 9pm.

kilkenny12 wrote: »
    You sound silly.

Btw, they can't just change the time of a regular tv programme cause people expect it to be on at 7.30 or 8 and people have other things to do/watch at 9pm.

Listen can we just drop this. Its just going round in circles. I am entitled to give my opinion. I am not saying anyone is right or wrong. Its all about standards and i just felt the scene merited post watershed viewing. I dont think its a travesty that it wasnt shown an hour later. I just think if there is a watershed, should a rape scene, whether graphic or insinuated (as in this occassion) not be included.

As i said there is no right/wrong here. All about opinions and standards of what you deem acceptable prewatershed.

I would appreciate if you would respect my right to an opinion and i will yours ( although you calling me "silly" probably means you think you are right anyway, which is fair enough.

Now can we leave it there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

Hope we are not in for months of Linda nearly telling Mick ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

EE is so depressing, I occasionally enjoy it at one or two certain fun moments, mainly involved the Mitchells or something like that but that stopped being the case years ago. I guess lots in the south of England like it because they can relate to it (I certainly know idiots like characters in EE. Sadly.) but how come you guys in Ireland like this nonsense? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,291 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

It was well advertised what was going to be shown last night, it's up to parents to make sure kids are out of the room if they don't want them seeing things.

The actor who plays Dean was apparently not happy with the storyline and needed a lot of convincing to go ahead with it.

fr336 wrote: »
    EE is so depressing, I occasionally enjoy it at one or two certain fun moments, mainly involved the Mitchells or something like that but that stopped being the case years ago. I guess lots in the south of England like it because they can relate to it (I certainly know idiots like characters in EE. Sadly.) but how come you guys in Ireland like this nonsense? :D

Passes an evening away when there's no Football on etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Passes an evening away when there's no Football on etc

Surely Fair City is better, if only for the comedy acting? ;)

fr336 wrote: »
    Surely Fair City is better, if only for the comedy acting? ;)

Fair city could be the most genius show ever. Car crash of the highest order!!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭wilddarts

Dextaaaaw!!! Yay........

• Registered Users Posts: 85,108 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

There has been worse shown on EE, like drug taking, violence, animal killing, baby dying, murders etc., which were far more graphic and more shown

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Lola18

"There has been worse shown on EE, like drug taking, violence, animal killing, baby dying, murders etc., which were far more graphic and more shown"

Almost exactly what i was going to write...phil has just been shot that wasnt really suitable for kids to watch either. There have been numerous scenes a lot worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Sharon's still wearing that jasus dress!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭maurv1

How many times now is that Phil has been shot? And as usual, no one wants to tell the old Bill exactly what happened.

Did the Carters not notice their mums complete change of personality over night. Just carrying on ... well being the Carters I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Why is it that whenever someone is about to confide in someone, that person always talks over them?

E.G:

Linda: "Mick, about last night.."
    Mick: "What, hungover were you?"
    Linda: "Mick..."
    Mick: "You OK to clean up downstairs?"

The other person ALWAYS talks over/interrupts the person who wants to confess something. But it NEVER happens normally.

Do we have to tolerate Linda's sourpuss and going around not saying anything to anyone for month on end?

Or will she just tell her husband what happened and put us all out of our misery?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

yellow hen wrote: »
    You really think a 10-11 year old wouldn't have understood that something was wrong in those scenes?

Of course they'd know there was something wrong (as there is in a lot of scenes!) I never said that..it's just imo it's not likely they would cop what was happening. It just showed him grabbing her and pushing her down on the table but it changed scenes straightaway. I think it was dealt with really well. It wasn't nice viewing for a child but none of it is. How many violent scenes have we seen?
    Tbh it was well publicised that there would be a rape Mon night, anyone easily offended should've switched off or recorded to watch when kids were in bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

fussyonion wrote: »
    Why is it that whenever someone is about to confide in someone, that person always talks over them?

E.G:

Linda: "Mick, about last night.."
    Mick: "What, hungover were you?"
    Linda: "Mick..."
    Mick: "You OK to clean up downstairs?"

The other person ALWAYS talks over/interrupts the person who wants to confess something. But it NEVER happens normally.

Do we have to tolerate Linda's sourpuss and going around not saying anything to anyone for month on end?

Or will she just tell her husband what happened and put us all out of our misery?

The suspense is killing me. :rolleyes:

And other times they're like mindreader extraordinaires, like: "hey your tone of voice sounded a bit strange just there. Tell me what's going on, I know something's up".

Gee_G wrote: »
    Sharon's still wearing that jasus dress!!!

Now that should be post watershed

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

I couldn't believe Dean just walked in and sat down and also the text message he sent to Linda does he think he's done nothing wrong?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,340 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I was sure she was going to tell him there and then but seems like she keep it quiet for a while the poor thing. He have to find out some how but could be weeks yet. Thought dean was a bit creepy. Why she didn't tell mick straight away even if he was talking over her and bothered over shirley. Does kat find out or is it something else I saw somewhere was it on this that she finds out something.
    like a secret?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

If you follow Eastenders, you would be well aware that this storyline was coming up, apart from it being advertised, it was kind of obvious where Dean's intentions were going to lead, and there was a warning at the start of the show.
    Eastenders is also repeated on BBC3 at 10:30 so if you didn't want to put your child outside the door when the show was on (although why you would be watching any of the soaps with your children is beyond me) you could've watched the later showing.

I thought the scene itself was very well put together. Rape scenes don't always have to be about graphic over the top violence. I thought the scene where Linda washes herself with the bleach was a good portrayal of exactly how it affected her rather without having to show exactly what happened.
    I agree with everybody else though, Mick not asking her what was wrong or even copping that something was up was very unrealistic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement