Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eastenders [News, Spoilers and Discussion]

Options

Comments

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I think Carla in Corrie called the cops straight away or pretty fast after Frank Foster raped her and also did Little Mo too when she was raped in the Vic by the customer

I forgot about Carla but yeah Little Mo in the end gave Trevor a belt with the iron

• Registered Users Posts: 85,108 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I forgot about Carla but yeah Little Mo in the end gave Trevor a belt with the iron

Little Mo was raped twice first by her husband Trevor whom she killed I think

Little Mo was raped twice first by her husband Trevor whom she killed I think

and was attacked again by some random closing up the vic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭wdmfapq4zs83hv

your kids shouldn't be watching Soaps there not for children its up to the parents to make sure there not watching unsuitable content

My child is 3 & well tucked up by soap time ;)
    Watershed is there for a reason

My child is 3 & well tucked up by soap time ;)
    Watershed is there for a reason

Red Wine & chocolate at the ready then :D

• Advertisement

Dean even remembered the song Pretty Flamingo, it was like he was substituting himself in for Mick, does he not think he did anything wrong :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

I reached for a tissue I knew it was gonna happen but with her kids
    downstairs I was like no he wouldn't dare then the music started blaring
    Dean took his chance.Nancy knew he was fixated with her I was hoping she would check on her Mother
    :( episode really upset me

I'm watching again and Linda heavy breathing is creeping me out its sounds like she is shivering

putting bleach on your skin not bad for you ?

Dean even remembered the song Pretty Flamingo, it was like he was substituting himself in for Mick, does he not think he did anything wrong :mad:

I feel so bad for Dean even though he is a monster now all those things he said before hand showed how messed up he is

I forgot that Kevin was not his real dad ? who is his real dad ?
    losing his brother at a younger age
    losing contact with his sister
    Mother left him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭emanresu esrever

same thing applies here Soaps are not for children

Its on at 7.30 in the evening. You dont put an 11 year old to bed at that time. What do you do. Tell them to stand in the hallway?! A rape scene shouldnt have been on before 9 in my opinion.

• Advertisement

I feel so bad for Dean even though he is a monster now all those things he said before hand showed how messed up he is

I forgot that Kevin was not his real dad ? who is his real dad ?
    losing his brother at a younger age
    losing contact with his sister
    Mother left him

Shirley never said who Dean's real father was, I take it she slept around a lot and don't know Dean and Carly's father(s) are

There is no way back for Dean to redeem himself no matter how messed up he is

I think once Mick discovers what happen he will kill Dean

I think once Mick discovers what happen he will kill Dean

maybe thats how the secret gets out if Mick does kill him Shirley will scream and say you killed your brother

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭masonchat

I thought it was badly written ( im going to get slated for this), i understand some women or men can totally freeze in this situation , but i would have thought the shock she instantly went into as soon as dean put his hands around seemed unrealistic to me given the situation.

Linda is a tough cookie havin given dean a smack before when he tried to kiss her.

She is already on her guard with dean after the first incident, i dont think she was in a situation grave enough not to fight back i.e her life wasnt at risk pub full of people downstairs.

maybe thats how the secret gets out if Mick does kill him Shirley will scream and say you killed your brother

I can see Phil telling Mick all about his mammy Shirley but he probably wont believe him

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I do agree it should have been shown after the watershed

It was done in a way that no child would have a clue what was happening.

masonchat wrote: »
    I thought it was badly written ( im going to get slated for this), i understand some women or men can totally freeze in this situation , but i would have thought the shock she instantly went into as soon as dean put his hands around seemed unrealistic to me given the situation.

Linda is a tough cookie havin given dean a smack before when he tried to kiss her.

She is already on her guard with dean after the first incident, i dont think she was in a situation grave enough not to fight back i.e her life wasnt at risk pub full of people downstairs.

He closed the kitchen door and put the music up load so presumably when Linda did scream no one down stairs heard and he was stronger than her plus she was pushed down on the table frontwards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭MelanieC

Ann22 wrote: »

I agree. We were disturbed by the scene because we understood what was happening but it was understated enough to not affect or frighten an innocent child,hence the pre-watershed showing. It was very subtly done imo,I was expecting & have seen a lot more graphic scenes than that before,both in EE & in other soaps.
    Dean is seriously messed up,felt so sorry for him up to then,but that's the point I guess. He obviously doesn't think he did anything wrong & that they both wanted it. I must've missed the bit about Kevin not being his & Carly's real dad??? I was always sure he was....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭SweetChaos

was thinking that also the hole family is messed up

for some reason I was getting incestuous vibes from Bebe

hole family is fcuked up

There was an episode where Bebe went home to her house got 2 glasses and walked into her sitting room and said something to someone who wasn't shown

Tonight Shirley noticed tins of sweets and said her mother used to buy these and Bebe kinds tried to change the subject

I think the person that wasn't shown is Shirleys mother it only ever said she left them nothing about her dying.

Tonight's episode was very uncomfortable viewing and it should not have been pre watershed

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Its on at 7.30 in the evening. You dont put an 11 year old to bed at that time. What do you do. Tell them to stand in the hallway?! A rape scene shouldnt have been on before 9 in my opinion.

It's a good thing then that they didn't show a rape scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

your kids shouldn't be watching Soaps there not for children its up to the parents to make sure there not watching unsuitable content

yes. nothing drives me madder than parents demanding that things be altered or censored to save them having any responsibilities or parenting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

get real. Dean pushed Linda onto a table.....thats what they showed, implied rape not shown rape....you'd swear they showed it all in its entireity how some of ye are going on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

SweetChaos wrote: »
    There was an episode where Bebe went home to her house got 2 glasses and walked into her sitting room and said something to someone who wasn't shown

Tonight Shirley noticed tins of sweets and said her mother used to buy these and Bebe kinds tried to change the subject

I think the person that wasn't shown is Shirleys mother it only ever said she left them nothing about her dying.

Tonight's episode was very uncomfortable viewing and it should not have been pre watershed

Yes I think you are right re Shirley's mother. I forgot that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Apparently tuck into the red wine :cool:

The watershed is that time where content which is either adult or overly suggestive in nature should be shown after that predefined time. Whether a parent 'allows' their child to watch soaps or not, the content in that episode was suggestive and adult in nature and should not have been shown before 9pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Ann22 wrote: »

You really think a 10-11 year old wouldn't have understood that something was wrong in those scenes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

In relation to her freezing and the fact she could have called for help with her kids downstairs, I thought it was pretty realistic. Trying to fight him off unsuccessfully and after everything that had happened earlier in the evening calling out to her kids to help her may have seemed almost unfair on them (its their family, nancy had asked earlier if he had been trying it on and linda said no so there's the issue of blame there too almost, they'd have to witness it all and help without mick being there, she had only told them earlier too that she wouldn't let anything happen to them iirc), just all those types of things going through her head and then just freezing and zoning out because once she didn't call out in the first few minutes she had no other option.

Like i think the music was to show that she may have either called out and nobody heard her or that dean knew he wouldn't get caught cause nobody would hear what was happening so regardless of how she acted or struggled no one could have helped.

I dunno if they gave one or not but i think a warning beforehand of distressing scenes would suffice tbh. Most viewers were expecting a storyline of that nature so no point messing around with times because of it but a notice that it was being shown in that episode for those that didn't know would have been enough imo.

It's a good thing then that they didn't show a rape scene.

Kids arent as stupud as you think. She even picked up her underwear after. I personally wasnt offended but for the sake of one episode put it on a tad later this once. They have large enough audience to justify this. How do you explain a man forcing himself onto a girl, kissing and physically molesting her without her consent and very much agInst ber pleas, shoving her on the table and thrusting from behind and then leaving her in shock as be pulls up his jeans.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭kilkenny12

Kids arent as stupud as you think. She even picked up her underwear after. I personally wasnt offended but for the sake of one episode put it on a tad later this once. They have large enough audience to justify this. How do you explain a man forcing himself onto a girl, kissing and physically molesting her without her consent and very much agInst ber pleas, shoving her on the table and thrusting from behind and then leaving her in shock as be pulls up his jeans.

Eh.. no need to explain it to children if you turn it off as soon as something like that starts to happen...?!!?

People just love to have something to complain about.

kilkenny12 wrote: »
    Eh.. no need to explain it to children if you turn it off as soon as something like that starts to happen...?!!?

People just love to have something to complain about.

But what was the point of havimg it on then if you nees to turn it off straight away! Surely the logical thing is to have it on post watershed and then it can be viewed.

If you disagree thats your perogative but it makes sense to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

But what was the point of havimg it on then if you nees to turn it off straight away! Surely the logical thing is to have it on post watershed and then it can be viewed.

If you disagree thats your perogative but it makes sense to me!

Its definitely not post watershed stuff, if it had been after the watershed it would have been much more graphic than it was. I think a simple warning to parents at the start that it contains graphic material. It's the responsibility of parents to monitor their kids tv consumption not the scheduling folk at the bbc.
    Also older children should be told about rape, they have to be aware of what happens in the real world, something like this creates the opportunity to talk to your children about rape, and consent in a responsible way rather than hiding it from them.

• Advertisement

Its definitely not post watershed stuff, if it had been after the watershed it would have been much more graphic than it was. I think a simple warning to parents at the start that it contains graphic material. It's the responsibility of parents to monitor their kids tv consumption not the scheduling folk at the bbc.
    Also older children should be told about rape, they have to be aware of what happens in the real world, something like this creates the opportunity to talk to your children about rape, and consent in a responsible way rather than hiding it from them.

Again difference of opinion. There is no right\wrpng answer really as to what we find suitable viewing for children. My point was a reply to the point a poster made that it wasnt a rape scene. Which it clearly was. Was there a warning beforehand?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement