Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next for Dunne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Please tell me you are a betting man!

Not really, I very rarely place bets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

Guillermo Rigondeaux to debut next month! and he'll probably be a SBW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

Guillermo Rigondeaux to debut next month! and he'll probably be a SBW

Did they ever fight as amatures? Surely anything involving him and Dunne will be a long way off.

In other sbw news, Vasquez has said he hopes to return in August / September and it will likely be at featherweight. Cabellero is also looking at fighting Gamboa at featherweight.

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=19645

• Registered Users Posts: 55,008 ✭✭✭✭walshb

They never did fight as amateurs. Dunne didn't make it in 2000 and would have been a 57 kg fighter, Rigo won his first gold at 54 kgin Sydney

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

If vasqeuz is making his comeback in september and bernard has been calling him out then this is the fight to go for. Vasquez will be rusty and dunne has sparred plenty with him before so if he has one shot at greatness then this is it.

Bernard would need everything to go right for him but a long layoff from vasquez might just have taken enough of the edge off him for dunne to stand a chance. Plus, bernard does genunely seem to think he's in with a shout and when a fighter truely believes the other guy wont beat him it can give that extra few percent thats needed.

I say go for it bernard, strike while the iron is hot. You never know...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Daroxtar wrote: »
    If vasqeuz is making his comeback in september and bernard has been calling him out then this is the fight to go for. Vasquez will be rusty and dunne has sparred plenty with him before so if he has one shot at greatness then this is it.

Bernard would need everything to go right for him but a long layoff from vasquez might just have taken enough of the edge off him for dunne to stand a chance. Plus, bernard does genunely seem to think he's in with a shout and when a fighter truely believes the other guy wont beat him it can give that extra few percent thats needed.

I think its a question of whether Dunne would even last one round with Vasquez. He is a monster and would knock Dunne out fast ring rustiness or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Johner wrote: »
    I think its a question of whether Dunne would even last one round with Vasquez. He is a monster and would knock Dunne out fast ring rustiness or not.

A great claim with absolutely no substance to it

john47832 wrote: »
    A great claim with absolutely no substance to it

How has it no substance to it? It's a view that can only be proved if it happens and it wouldn't be at all surprising if it did happen, going on statistics and what we have seen from both men. Kiko did it and Dunne's chin
    is quite fragile. Now, Vasquez can bang and is aggresive and if he lands clean, he can follow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

walshb wrote: »
    How has it no substance to it? It's a view that can only be proved if it happens and it wouldn't be at all surprising if it did happen, going on statistics and what we have seen from both men. Kiko did it and Dunne's chin
    is quite fragile. Now, Vasquez can bang and is aggresive and if he lands clean, he can follow up.

Mike you can be funny sometimes.

Daroxtar wrote: »

Hey if Vasquez wants to comeback at Featherweight I think Dunne and his team should encourage him and wish him all the best, because that along with Caballero reportedly moving up to Featherweight to fight Yuriorkis Gamboa spells opportunity for Dunne. Juan Manuel Lopez has said he'll be sticking around at Super-Bantamweight for a year or two yet, that's the only negative there.

if you're interested in the belts that would leave Dunne as WBA champion(with Hernandez or Kratingdaenggym as interim), Nishioka as WBC champion, Lopez as WBO as champions.

The IBF has Steve Molitor fighting Heriberto Ruiz in an eliminator next, with Caballero defending his title v Jeffrey Mathebula tomorrow(2 months before that bout). Should Caballero announce his intentions to move up after the fight, that eliminator could become for the vacant title.
    If not the winner of that eliminator would face the highest ranked challenger, which currently would be Mathebula, however if he loses I doubt it'd be him. After him is Gonzalez, but he's going down the WBC route, so that leaves Rendall Munroe next. Kiko Martinez amazingly is #7 in the IBF ratings as a matter of interest. Of course if Mathebula wins tomorrow this all becomes redundant.

Now Nishioka or Molitor would be very tough bouts for Dunne but they are winnable, and if Lopez was to move up aswell, it would leave Dunne with the potential opportunity to become the true Super-Bantamweight champion of the World.

Anyway here's how things stand for the top guns at Super-Bantamweight:

Israel Vasquez-The Super-Bantamweight Champion of the World looks to return in the Autumn, and seemingly now up at Featherweight.

Celestino Caballero-defends his WBA and IBF titles v Jeffrey Mathebula tomorrow. This may be his last fight at Super-Bantamweight as he looks to challenge Featherweight sensation Yuriorkis Gamboa.

Rafael Marquez-fights a WBC eliminator v Jose Francisco Mendoza, a 37 year old Colombian.

Jhonny Gonzalez/Toshiaki Nishioka- face in Mexico in a defence of Nishioka's WBC title.

Steve Molitor/Heriberto Ruiz-face in an IBF eliminator

Poonsawat Kratingdaenggym- faces Rafael Hernandez for the vacant interim WBA title

Rendall Munroe-faces Isaac Nettey for the vacant Commonwealth title

Juan Manuel Lopez-will struggle to find meaningful challengers, he looks an absolute machine, and I doubt most of the other big boys will be too eager to face him.

Bernard Dunne-planning a defence of his WBA title, the opponent could be anyone at this stage

Daniel Ponce De Leon-has scored two wins in his comeback since losing in a round to Lopez, hard to know which route he'll go.

Antonio Escalante-looking very impressive at the moment, gunning through the divisions 2nd/3rd tier guys at the moment, he just might be in against Lopez soon.

Oliver Lontchi-continuing the defences of his NABA title and recovering from the slip up draw to Eduardo Garcia, his camp will be looking for an eliminator or a title shot soon.

Ricardo Cordoba-will be looking to make a comeback from his defeat to Dunne, but probably won't fight for a few months.

• Advertisement

Take Cordoba out of the equation. Guy couldn't even last 12 rds.
    Dropped from bloody exhaustion!
    Bernard himself alluded to this.

Molitor won't get by Ruiz. It will be a KO win
    for Ruiz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭sston

Take Cordoba out of the equation. Guy couldn't even last 12 rds.
    Dropped from bloody exhaustion!
    Bernard himself alluded to this.

Why take him out of the equation? He holds a win over Caballero, his only loss prior to Dunne was a very close split decision loss in Thailand to Poonsawat, another guy listed there and he was probably only seconds away from retaining his title in Dublin had the bell not saved Bernard in the fifth. There is no doubt that Cordoba is a quality, world class fighter but perhaps it sickens you too much to admit it after Bernard beat him.

sston wrote: »
    Why take him out of the equation? He holds a win over Caballero, his only loss prior to Dunne was a very close split decision loss in Thailand to Poonsawat, another guy listed there and he was probably only seconds away from retaining his title in Dublin had the bell not saved Bernard in the fifth. There is no doubt that Cordoba is a quality, world class fighter but perhaps it sickens you too much to admit it after Bernard beat him.

I say take him out because I didn't see anything special in the guy before Dunne or with Dunne. The man who impressed me was Dunne. Not Cordoba.
    And I happen to think that Ricardo will not be beating the likes of
    JMM or Vasquez anytime soon!

I never once said prior to the fight that I thought Ricardo was a great fighter.
    He never impressed me or showed me that he was the worlds champion.

Look, if we keep going back to his ONE win over Cab, then that's like saying that Alex Higgins is still a threat in snooker because he won the world title in 1982.

BTW, after that effort in the 5th, he had pretty much nothing left.
    Seriously, I at least expect my world champions to be able to last
    12 rds and Dunne himself said that Ricardo was more beaten due to
    exhaustion.

I say take him out because I didn't see anything special in the guy before Dunne or with Dunne. The man who impressed me was Dunne. Not Cordoba.
    And I happen to think that Ricardo will not be beating the likes of
    JMM or Vasquez anytime soon!

I never once said prior to the fight that I thought Ricardo was a great fighter.
    He never impressed me or showed me that he was the worlds champion.

Look, if we keep going back to his ONE win over Cab, then that's like saying that Alex Higgins is still a threat in snooker because he won the world title in 1982.

BTW, after that effort in the 5th, he had pretty much nothing left.
    Seriously, I at least expect my world champions to be able to last
    12 rds and Dunne himself said that Ricardo was more beaten due to
    exhaustion.

Eh jermain Taylor.......former Middleweight champion of the World has seemingly the same problem and he's certainly still a threat to almost anyone(bar Kessler imo) at Super-Middleweight.

Cordoba has gone 12 rounds 6 times(7 if you include a stoppage he gained in the 12th of one fight), and he was stopped in the 11th of a gruelling fight, while suffering from dehydration, where he took a huge number of clean shots to the chin.

IMO he'd beat more than one fighter on that list, and has shown his ability in beating Celestino Caballero, Jose Arboleda and Luis Perez. The draws with Sidorenko and a Split loss to Kratingdaenggym further show his ability and that he's a true World Class fighter.

He won't have to fight Vasquez anytime soon if Vasquez moves up to Featherweight and you're right I can't see him beating Lightweight champion Juan Manuel Marquez anytime soon ;)

I presume you meant either Juan Manuel Lopez, who no one at Super-Bantamweight would probably beat anyway so he's no worse off than any of the other top fighters in that regard.

Or(and it's less likely that this is who you're talking about) Rafael Marquez who hasn't fought in over a year and could be ruined after his 3 wars with Vasquez and being 34 years old.

Cordoba was and still is a World Class fighter for me.

Yes, I meant Lopez, JML, not JMM.

Well, to me, Cordoba wasn't all that and I wasn't impressed with him.
    You mention a draw vs. the midget, Sidorenko and a win
    over Perez? Perez is quite quite average!
    And Cordoba struggled in that one!

You could take out Munroe too and Molitor and some others.
    I don't see many as being worthy of world champ, but if it's
    all about making up numbers, throw them in!

Yes, I meant Lopez, JML, not JMM.

Well, to me, Cordoba wasn't all that and I wasn't impressed with him.
    You mention a draw vs. the midget, Sidorenko and a win
    over Perez? Perez is quite quite average!
    And Cordoba struggled in that one!

You could take out Munroe too and Molitor and some others.
    I don't see many as being worthy of world champ, but if it's
    all about making up numbers, throw them in!

Munroe's not in any of those guys class, however he's highly ranked by all of those sanctioning bodies because he holds the European belt, and will probably get a 'World title shot' before too long, not to mention some British boxing fans are delusional enough to believe he's World Class and his little 'rivalry' with Dunne and holding the European title means I threw him in there. But he's nowhere near the standard of anyone else there.

Molitor on the otherhand is a very good fighter, stylistically he was awfully suited to fight Caballero and as such was destroyed. He's still a quality slick southpaw who could give so many top fighters in the division nightmares and beat a lot of them. He's a World class fighter and if he's not up to it Heriberto Ruiz will take care of him anyway, so one of those two men(Molitor or Ruiz) would be leaving a list like that soon anyway.

You know, take out JML and Cab and Vasquez and we have a pretty
    poor division of you ask me. I would love to see those three in the mix at 126 lbs with Chris John and Gamboa.

I think Gamboa beats all three!

Big, what's your pick for Molitor-Ruiz. I go with KO win for Ruiz!

poor division of you ask me.

Its lush with talent compared to middleweight - WTF boxrec have Matt Macklin at 7 :eek:

Take the top three from any division and they are pure ****e.

Marquez
    Vazquez
    Pone
    Lopez
    Cab
    followed by Molitor Dunne Gonzalez its as strong a division as they come in my book.

T-K-O wrote: »
    Take the top three from any division and they are pure ****e.

Marquez
    Vazquez
    Pone
    Lopez
    Cab
    followed by Molitor Dunne Gonzalez its as strong a division as they come in my book.

Agreed, I just can't seem to get excited about very many fighters today.

• Advertisement

What's wrong Walsh, Wana talk about it ?

Agreed, I just can't seem to get excited about very many fighters today.

Nothing a plane ride to Vegas for the next Dunne fight wouldnt sort out

john47832 wrote: »
    Nothing a plane ride to Vegas for the next Dunne fight wouldnt sort out

Vegas? Something tells me it wouldn't be the boxers that would excite me there!

TKO, No need to talk, the solution is to simply pretend that boxing was never better than it is today!

I would somewhat agree, there are no boxers anywhere near as exciting as Tyson, or as classy as Ali - no Benn / Eubank matches, no hoping Naseem Hamed gets beaten then appreciating his quality after each fight - then hoping hew gets beaten the next time

We are left with Haye v Klitschko :(

it maybe just me but even the PacMan v Hatton fight wont prove anything that we dont already know

bring back the good old days

poor division of you ask me. I would love to see those three in the mix at 126 lbs with Chris John and Gamboa.

I think Gamboa beats all three!

Big, what's your pick for Molitor-Ruiz. I go with KO win for Ruiz!

You take out the top 3 fighters in every division and you'll probably find Super-Bantamweight is the strongest in the World(which it is now for me anyway), and has the most depth.

Without those 3 you still have Rafael Marquez, Jhonny Gonzalez, Daniel Ponce De Leon and the other 9 fighters I named in that list.

I can see Molitor being too slick for Ruiz and beating him by competitive decision(116-112 sort of stuff), Ruiz is a very good fighter but Molitor won't be like Bautista and allow him to fight the fight he wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

Dunne gets mentioned in the same sentence as Tyson, Toney, Hopkins and Vasquez, De La Hoya, Kahn and Pacman...

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=19639&more=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭akindoc

Juan Manuel Lopez is the best in that division. He'd absolutely hammer Dunne out of it in about 60 seconds in my opinion.

Vegas? Something tells me it wouldn't be the boxers that would excite me there!

TKO, No need to talk, the solution is to simply pretend that boxing was never better than it is today!

Well, I've always thought to myself that you were slightly deluded :D

• Advertisement

joepenguin wrote: »
    Dunne gets mentioned in the same sentence as Tyson, Toney, Hopkins and Vasquez, De La Hoya, Kahn and Pacman...

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=19639&more=1

Proper order

Advertisement