Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bret Hart Book Signing in Dublin - THE OFFICIAL THREAD!

Options
  • 19-03-2009 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭

Ok folks, it was brought to my attention that there were 3 threads related to this! Accidents can happen at two, but three? All discussion goes into this one, and this one only please. Any further Bret signing threads will get locked.

SR

SOME UPCOMING APPEARANCES

Please check back in the appearances area for deatils - coming very soon!

We're working on more ...

Tuesday, April 14 - Newcastle, UK book signing

Tuesday, April 14 - Manchester, UK book signing

Wednesday, April 15 - Liverpool, UK book signing

Wednesday, April 15 - Birmingham, UK book signing

Thursday, April 16 - London, UK book signing

Saturday, April 18 - Dublin, Ireland book signing

http://www.brethart.com/updates/some-upcoming-appearances

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Timed that one very closely with WWE's European tour.
    Good opportunity for those who missed the signing the first time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

Nice!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭brick tamland

I read that the book is coming out in paperback in April so this is presumably to coincide. Should be able to pick it up for less than 15 euros

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

The man is spoiling us :D

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Jayo11780

So apparently Bret Hart will have an autograph/meet & greet session in Dublin on April 18?
    Met Bret up in Castlebar last october when he was on the American Rampage tour, paid a fiver to get my pic taken with him, have to say he was a hero of mine growing up but he seemed very un-interested that evening and looked rather unwell. :(:(

Got his book - on the internet from Canada last August and must admit, it was as good a read as I ever had, a definite 9/10... So when it comes out, all u wrasslin fans, no matter whether u favour Shawn, Undertaker, HHH or whoever, Get your mitts on this book!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭kaiser soza

Where is the meet&greet taking place.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Whiplash

the book is a great read and i was lucky enough to meet bret before one of the rampage shows so i got a free autograph (woo hoo) bret was a pleasure to meet. he was so nice and friendly. he was one of my heros and he did not disappoint. tempted to go in april jst to say hello! The book itself is probably one of the best autobiographys you will ever read.

Book is very detailed, and he went through a lot of sh*t with his family. His sisters were essentially the bitches of Eastwick, and it's clear that he was never the same since the death of Owen (which we kinda knew, but at the same time, it's different when it comes from the horses mouth).

Just put a couple of weeks away for it, it is long, it is detailed. And it's worth every page.

You are on the ball SR. I have read lots of wrestling autobiographys and books of all kinds. As I told bret to his face, His book is the best book i have ever read. there were nights that i would fight to stay awake to read just a few more pages

• Advertisement

Whiplash wrote: »
    You are on the ball SR. I have read lots of wrestling autobiographys and books of all kinds. As I told bret to his face, His book is the best book i have ever read. there were nights that i would fight to stay awake to read just a few more pages

Sadly I couldn't tell him the same, as i wasn't far into it when i got it signed. Despite having it for almost a year. But that's what planning a wedding does to your time. He was cool about it though, asked when I was getting married and had I much done so far. Which raised my estimation of the guy by several bars. :)

Probably because for the first time, it was nice to see him as a human, rather than a character.

I agree SR he was just like a regular guy and didnt seem to be in a rush to get away. he took time to pose for pics with me and my mate and sign my book and some of my mates stuff. And when i went to meet and greet to get an autograph for my sister he remembered me and called me by my name and was just brilliant. He really does love and respect his fans

Whiplash wrote: »
    I agree SR he was just like a regular guy and didnt seem to be in a rush to get away. he took time to pose for pics with me and my mate and sign my book and some of my mates stuff. And when i went to meet and greet to get an autograph for my sister he remembered me and called me by my name and was just brilliant. He really does love and respect his fans

His agent was a complete cock though. I stood at the side talking with him the entire time for the Wrestling Mania signings as i'd put together a couple of compilation DVDs for the owner of the shop as a favour. But his agent really didn't have a clue about any of his matches (like the match he had with Savage in 87 on SNME, didn't even know what Mania the Piper match was on). I know he's an agent, and i'm not expecting Jerry Maguire treatment, but he really didn't seem to have a lot of interest in Bret's career, only future bookings.

And while Bret wasn't in a hurry, he was horribly pressured by his Agent to get going. The poor guy didn't even have a chance to get a cup of coffee. That kinda irked me a little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    His agent was a complete cock though. I stood at the side talking with him the entire time for the Wrestling Mania signings as i'd put together a couple of compilation DVDs for the owner of the shop as a favour. But his agent really didn't have a clue about any of his matches (like the match he had with Savage in 87 on SNME, didn't even know what Mania the Piper match was on). I know he's an agent, and i'm not expecting Jerry Maguire treatment, but he really didn't seem to have a lot of interest in Bret's career, only future bookings.

And while Bret wasn't in a hurry, he was horribly pressured by his Agent to get going. The poor guy didn't even have a chance to get a cup of coffee. That kinda irked me a little bit.

are you serious? that is rediculous! myself and orestes went to that signing and i have to say i thaught bret was a genuinely nice guy, nothing fake about him from what i saw!

oh and SR you obviously did a great job with those compilation dvd's coz brets eyes kept getting pulled away to the screen above the door!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

is it in wrestlingmania again in april ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Sadly I couldn't tell him the same, as i wasn't far into it when i got it signed. Despite having it for almost a year. But that's what planning a wedding does to your time. He was cool about it though, asked when I was getting married and had I much done so far. Which raised my estimation of the guy by several bars. :)

Probably because for the first time, it was nice to see him as a human, rather than a character.

We talked about this at the time and whatever you thought or think about Hart back in the day, meeting him even briefly, seeing him in person and seeing him at the show later that night made him seem much more human and showed him in a much much more sympathetic light than I had ever seen him before.

shinzon wrote: »
    is it in wrestlingmania again in april ?

I don't think the location has been announced yet. I haven't heard anything about it from the boys there anyway.

are you serious? that is rediculous! myself and orestes went to that signing and i have to say i thaught bret was a genuinely nice guy, nothing fake about him from what i saw!

Yeah, I think his Agent got him there late or somewhat or they got stuck in traffic on the way in, and leaving them pressed for time to get the signing finished and off to the AWR show.
    oh and SR you obviously did a great job with those compilation dvd's coz brets eyes kept getting pulled away to the screen above the door!

Yeah, he spent a lot of time re-watching the Piper match. I saw him glancing up at the screen a couple of times as well. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Really looking foward to this book, but I've got 2 or 3 to get through first which is a bit of a dose. Just wondering, how many pages roughly are on Montreal? Just curiosity

Crap, i actually can't remember. He doesn't mull on it too much to be honest if i recall correctly though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Nice one. It's the kinda thing that you'd just be sick of hearing about at this stage. I was watching his HOF speach today, I hop there's a fair few Owen stories in it, the ones he told at the ceremony were brilliant.

Gerard.C wrote: »
    Nice one. It's the kinda thing that you'd just be sick of hearing about at this stage. I was watching his HOF speach today, I hop there's a fair few Owen stories in it, the ones he told at the ceremony were brilliant.

And he's sick of telling it. He writes about the buildup to it, and then onto WCW with Hogan & Goldberg etc and the utter mess that it turned out to be.

Even if it means backburnering it, do get the book, it's worth the read, even if you're like me and did get sick of the guy by the time 1994 rolled around.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

More Bret fans may see this here than the video thread.....
    The national film board of Canada is showing his Documentary Wrestling with shadows for free online on their site, much better than youtube quality.
    http://nfb.ca/film/hitman_hart_wrestling_with_shadows/
    Before you ask it their is lots of HBK talk:cool:
    In this feature-length documentary, director Paul Jay was given unprecedented access to the world of Bret Hart and pro wrestling as his camera followed Bret "the Hitman" Hart for one year. Going behind the tightly guarded walls of wrestling's spectacle and theatre, the film explores the meaning of today's wrestling morality plays. As fantasy crosses into real life, the true story of Bret Hart's struggle with Vince McMahon, the legendary owner of the WWF, is revealed. Hitman Hart: Wrestling with Shadows climaxes with the tale of the biggest double-cross in pro wrestling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

watching this now...top class stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

The documentary really is one of the finest documentaries on pro wrestling

hmmm Vince is singing a different tune nowadays..

just finished there..unbelievable stuff. incredible access to it all. Can see myself watching this a good few times to be honest.

fatal wrote: »
    The documentary really is one of the finest documentaries on pro wrestling

Oh be real! It's so one sided that it's sickening. If i hear that hypocrite Bret whining one more time about him being screwed in front of his family and countrymen, yet trying to justify decking Vince in front of his son one more time, i really will puke.

It would be one of the finest documentaries on pro wrestling if it wasn't so one sided, but it's horribly biased, trying to make Bret out to be the victim when we all know a lot of this could have been avoided had he just done the damn job. What did he care? He was going to the opposition anyway.

Is it a good watch, yes, but is it one of the finest documentaries? Nah, not by a long shot. That award goes to Heroes Of World Class, the proper story of WCCW before Vince decided to try to rewrite history with his own DVD two years later.

hmmm...

I think its one of the best to be honest. Simply for the access that the director has, its an unbelievable insight.

I dont think its one sided. I mean, obviously Bret will be telling his side and his side only. But as far as the direction goes, it shows Bret in a negative light as well, it shows him as a whiny, selfish performer.

I mean, when he fractured his sternum(dunno about spelling there) the sheer idiocy and stubborness he displayed was incredible, refusing to allow the guy to pin him because "he was one guy i didnt wanna lose to"

I never knew he decked vince either..I felt very sorry for his kid.

Also... what the **** is with his dad.. thats ****ed up like..

hmmm...

I think its one of the best to be honest. Simply for the access that the director has, its an unbelievable insight.

You should watch Beyond The Mat, they had their own camera for the Rock/Foley match where you see the reaction of Foleys wife and kids. You tend to not want to watch chairshots after it. That was a pretty good documentary, the Jake bits aren't great though.
    I dont think its one sided. I mean, obviously Bret will be telling his side and his side only. But as far as the direction goes, it shows Bret in a negative light as well, it shows him as a whiny, selfish performer.

Hrm, to me it really tries to paint Bret as an innocent victim.
    I mean, when he fractured his sternum(dunno about spelling there) the sheer idiocy and stubborness he displayed was incredible, refusing to allow the guy to pin him because "he was one guy i didnt wanna lose to"

Ah the infamous Dino Bravo house show match in 89. For those of you who wanted to know why the Harts were separated for the 1989 Survivor Series, now you know.
    I never knew he decked vince either..I felt very sorry for his kid.

To be fair, Shane would have been around 20 at that stage I think, but still, I don't think i would have liked anyone decking anyone close to me at 30, nevermind 20.
    Also... what the **** is with his dad.. thats ****ed up like..

You think that's insane? Read more into the Von Erichs, they make the Harts look like saints!

• Advertisement

To be fair, Shane would have been around 20 at that stage I think, but still, I don't think i would have liked anyone decking anyone close to me at 30, nevermind 20.

You think that's insane? Read more into the Von Erichs, they make the Harts look like saints!

I will do, dont know much about them.

Haha i meant Brets kid, i recon shane could handle it!!

Do you tink it paints him as a victim? i thought it came across quite clearly that he was flawed. Not from Bret.. but in general. The Director didnt have to show the flaws had he wanted to really be one sided.

I mean, the access that was granted, would obviously require a certain degree of bias towards the harts, but, i still tink the director left enough in to allow the viewers to make their own minds up. As we both did.

Advertisement