Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI shares steadily rising... Worth a punt?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Down, Down They Go!

Anyone fancy calling the bottom?!

And back up they go - Its a pity though, I was enjoying your scaremongering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 ppthink

The bottom will be zero when they are nationalised. They wont go to zero but it really is starting to look a foregone conclusion that they will be zero. Nationalisation would never
    be announced in advance so anyone like to call the end....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

i dont understand why bank shares are falling today, they did get what they wanted....BAD BANK:rolleyes:

They were downgraded by mmody`s and when they minister for finance keeps saying that everything is under control and we won`t need a bailout from E.C.B. etc. etc.....
    the man doth protest too much.
    A little honesty would save people an awful lot of money.
    But then they are politicians!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

muletide wrote: »
    And back up they go - Its a pity though, I was enjoying your scaremongering.

TBH I think a lot more of us are enjoying watching you guys risking your asses on a volatile stock that really should be nationalised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

TBH I think a lot more of us are enjoying watching you guys risking your asses on a volatile stock that really should be nationalised.

I think it is obvious from most the posts on here that a majority of posters are looking to make a quick killing without risking their asses . And many including myself have done this over the past 3 - 4 weeks and are now looking at gains of between 200 - 500%

Just because that does not sit well with those who view equities as a long term investment and who are more risk averse than others is no reason to look down your noses or begrudge us a small bit of good news in other wise dismal times.

I am sure if you call for nationalisation enough times you will eventually get what you want (broken clocks come to mind) - but not everyone shares your outlook and therefore their opinion/outlook and attitude towards risk should be respected.

We do respect their opinions.

I still think it's madness.

We do respect their opinions.

I still think it's madness.

how is it madness, when rally starts buy and when youve made your money sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭samson09

muletide wrote: »
    I think it is obvious from most the posts on here that a majority of posters are looking to make a quick killing without risking their asses . And many including myself have done this over the past 3 - 4 weeks and are now looking at gains of between 200 - 500%

Just because that does not sit well with those who view equities as a long term investment and who are more risk averse than others is no reason to look down your noses or begrudge us a small bit of good news in other wise dismal times.

I am sure if you call for nationalisation enough times you will eventually get what you want (broken clocks come to mind) - but not everyone shares your outlook and therefore their opinion/outlook and attitude towards risk should be respected.

Here here!!!

Have to agree. If you are willing to buy when someone wants to sell. It applies today as much as it did last year.
    When people were buying last year they were given advice that the only way for shares was up up up.
    If you keep an eye on all the markets as I think it was "bobbb" was saying a while ago, there a pattern.
    the main pattern is, any sort of bad news shares drop and if there is even a chink of "good news", up they go.

• Advertisement

Daragh101 wrote: »
    how is it madness, when rally starts buy and when youve made your money sell.

If. If the rally starts. If they get nationalised, you're fecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

Can you believe this argument has been going on for nearly a year??

well ya but everyone new nothing was happening until the budget.
    of course theres a big risk but theres more of a chance youll make a lot of quick and easy money.the bigger the risk the bigger the reward.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Idu wrote: »
    Can you believe this argument has been going on for nearly a year??

It's only a matter of time before people get to say "told ya so". Much like Dave McWilliams on the housing bubble. Say it enoguh times, and eventually you'll be right.

There's been some craic had in the mean time tho!!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Compak

Was not that difficult in fairness. rally was clear up to bad bank announcement.

bad bank announcemnt 80 billion in debt was a disaster. Problem is people get blindsighted. The more the stock rallys they get optimistic where in this market with these economic factors people should of been warier by the day.

People got a chance to sell today amazingly. If ye did not take it dont complain when sp collpases over next week.

Myself out at 126.5 yesterday at 16:29:13 once I heard the figure to be covered

Ill have no problem getting in again at the next collapse after I hear some words on preceived write down amounts.

a reevaluation is needed since Lenihan indeed said today he would take majority stakes in banks needing more capital and thus will effectively nationalise the banks ala RBS

edit: My apologies i was speaking about AIB, wrong thread, wrong prices same points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Eh, if they're spread betting it's not too bad. Anyone actually short term trading in the stock itself is a lunatic though.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Compak

daveirl wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Yeah went higher in London but there would of been no way for me to get out till next morning and we all knew what it was in for the next morning.

screaming short in US as they did not realise at all what figures meant. Prob so used to hearing hundreds of billions for their own banks sounded great.
    Pity CMC only have albk and not NYSE:AIB.

I agree why stay in the drudge of the Irish economy when you can trade the recovering UK and US for a good year with plenty of time to get back into a more secure transparent Ireland

Be prepared for the big collapse. Three to six weeks.
    All the bluff from the banks and the govs. will be exposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭ranger4

ppthink wrote: »
    Be prepared for the big collapse. Three to six weeks.
    All the bluff from the banks and the govs. will be exposed.

With Which markets do you expect tanking to commence?

• Advertisement

Where did it all start. What market do all the others keep track with.
    U.S.A.
    The stress tests on the financials were going to be passed before they started.
    Suppose the Irish Gov. will announce they will do the same under a different name so it sounds like something they thought of themselves.
    They are going to "BUY" the bad debt from the Irish Banks at 50 to 60 Cent in the Euro.
    most people think thats great news, that it will give the bank liquidity.
    where did the banks get the money to loan to the property speculators and construction-building contractors. They borrowed it. The figure being quoted is 60 to 90 billion Euro of bad debt the Gov. is planning to buy. If banks receive, lets say 50 billion for it they still have to pay back wha they borrowed.
    Where is Ireland going to find this money to buy the debt wnd how much of this bad debt is going to be recovered. So how much are us taxpayers going to cover.

well the banks were bascially giving out fake money, because lets say i deposit 2000euro they have a 1:10 ratio which means they can lend out 20000euro for every 2000euro deposited/or borrowed.this should mean the banks should borrowed less than they will get for the loans....
    is this not true?????

That is what we were taught in secondary school, but that 1:10 ratio can be leveraged up to 1:100. Wouldn`t think any Irish banks are that high but you`wouldnt put it passed them especially as they couldn`t loan out money quick enough to homebuyers property speculators and literallyanyone that wanted money. there was no end to the boom.
    Bigger the boom the bigger the bust. The money the banks borrowed to loan out has to be paid back the same way as the money the banks loan out to people has to be paid back to the banks.

Us financials have been massivly bought into recently so guess we are due a pullback allthough i doint see them retesting their lows, this sell off will probably pull down stocks in general before next leg up possibly end of may-june.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

US banks suffered a big slide yesterday and today are making a big move.
    Tomorrow could be a good day. Lets see what the mornings news brings.

ya i couldnt find much news did anything majour happen,or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

Daragh101 wrote: »
    ya i couldnt find much news did anything majour happen,or what?

Not that i can see. I have no idea whats going on with them at all.
    I think people got the pull back they were waiting for though. Seem to be reacting to the US still though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭pocketdooz

So, what does your strategy say will happen tomorrow again? Irish bank stocks will rise ?

Any chance of seeing any history of trades to back up your recent claim of good trading? You make it sound like a winning strategy but I'm a natural skeptic.

Thanks

I guess geithners statment saying most us banks have adiqit capital caused the turn around with banks today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭pocketdooz

ranger4 wrote: »
    I guess geithners statment saying most us banks have adiqit capital caused the turn around with banks today.

Pretty sure it was made after the markets closed.

Advertisement