Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI shares steadily rising... Worth a punt?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Compak

Daragh101 wrote: »
    ya i will give it a look ,although heard spread betting was very risky

I spreadbet for shortterm trades but dont leverage. that means if I put 100€/pt on an iriah bank tomorrow I would ensure i have 90-100% (approx 8,500euro) in my account to cover an unforseen circumstance.

therefore its like buying shares you are paying the whole amount, no matter the circumstances can t lose more than i put in.

However for a trade that may be only a few days I dont pay any mad fees or taxes on gains.

Sure buying 20grand bkir with goodbodys is 1% duty =200€

1.5% buy commission 300€
    1.5% sell commision 300€

thats 800 euro I need to make to break even. Madness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

Compak wrote: »
    Well its hardly a strategy is it to day trade a rising stock?

I know a few up to 100 grand so far on BKIR on hardly huge punts at 12c.

The fear that was on this forum was ridiculous especially as nationalisation prob would of returned a minimum 100% profit from the 12c mark though one would have to wait.

I would now caution not to get caught in hype. nothing rises like this without a pullback and a less than exciting bank plan Tuesday is all it will take for a nice crash down.

Works for me.

Almost 30k up since i started on the banks.

Compak wrote: »
    I spreadbet for shortterm trades but dont leverage. that means if I put 100€/pt on an iriah bank tomorrow I would ensure i have 90-100% (approx 8,500euro) in my account to cover an unforseen circumstance.

therefore its like buying shares you are paying the whole amount, no matter the circumstances can t lose more than i put in.

However for a trade that may be only a few days I dont pay any mad fees or taxes on gains.

Sure buying 20grand bkir with goodbodys is 1% duty =200€

1.5% buy commission 300€
    1.5% sell commision 300€

thats 800 euro I need to make to break even. Madness

Dont forget the tax too if you make a profit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

bobbbb wrote: »
    Works for me.

Almost 30k up since i started on the banks.

Ya prick!! :D

A pull back would be nice... start the process all over again, and let me get in on it this time!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

daveirl wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I think compak was outlining all the negatives associated with actually buying the shares as opposed to spread betting on them, and bobbb was just giving another point as to why it's bad. Not too sure tho!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭ranger4

Hanley wrote: »

A pull back would be nice... start the process all over again, and let me get in on it this time!!!

You will get your pullback possibly this week but doint expect to see antwhere near the recent lows, poss pull back to 0.80-0.90 range would be nice.

Sure it happens every few days.
    Big announcement. US banks make huge gains. Ireland opens and irish banks follow until lunchtime when the US opens again. Then the US banks make a move either direction and the irish banks follow them for the rest of the day again.

Its probably the most predictable trend in the history of spreadbetting.

Big announcement. US banks make huge gains. Ireland opens and irish banks follow until lunchtime when the US opens again. Then the US banks make a move either direction and the irish banks follow them for the rest of the day again.

yeah in fairness I have watched irish banks for last few months and when rising they typ stick in one of 2 pattern types for a while.

1. open high and rise about lunch start drop down before US opens. Then after three recovery starts back.

2) open steady/ low slow gains to peak 12.30-1.30 mark and back down again for close

I think compak was outlining all the negatives associated with actually buying the shares as opposed to spread betting on them, and bobbb was just giving another point as to why it's bad. Not too sure tho!!

This is true. However you have to make profit to pay tax which explains why I so easily forgot that point.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

do sharewatch keep the share cert until you want to sell your shares, in a small traders account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

ranger4 wrote: »
    You will get your pullback possibly this week but doint expect to see antwhere near the recent lows, poss pull back to 0.80-0.90 range would be nice.

Good Morning Ranger,
    When you say " would be nice" I
    assume you mean so one could buy back in again, assuming this roller coaster continues.
    regards, Rugbyman

I find bobbb s and compak s stuff interesting (and readable)

So I check on the web during the night, see how us financials are doing, open a spread bet (can I do this before 8 am?) . The Irish market will follow( I agree) and after lunch the U.S. will have moved further up, or dropped (or stayed steady).

If it dropped, my stop loss will have kicked in and I am out with a small loss.
    If it rose (again), I take profit .

If the middle of the night news is bad from the U.S. do you bet on a fall in Ireland?

Regards ,Rugbyman

looking back on my comment to Ranger I note I used the word assume twice.
    I learned a lesson from a very successful man many years ago.
    he told me never to ASSUME because it makes AN ASS out of U and ME.!

regards, Rugbyman

i bought shares in bank of ire a couple of months ago from sharewatch small traders. i thoought they would keep the cert until i decided to sell.
    when i wanted to sell this morning i was told the share cert was sent in the post, which i never got.
    i am now facing a €83 charge to issue a new cert, should sharewatch not pay this as they were the ones that messed up.???????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Allah Hu Akbar

i bought shares in bank of ire a couple of months ago from sharewatch small traders. i thoought they would keep the cert until i decided to sell.
    when i wanted to sell this morning i was told the share cert was sent in the post, which i never got.
    i am now facing a €83 charge to issue a new cert, should sharewatch not pay this as they were the ones that messed up.???????????

They should've sent it out! Are you sure you didn't get it? It's not exactly a cert, more like a sheet of paper stating how many shares you bought and at what price you bought them at.

If you didn't get it ring them up and explain as if you didn't get it they should send you out a new one.

i did get somthing which stated everything but im sure it wasnt the cert. i contacted them today and they were sound about it, they said they would cover all costs. how long should it take to come.???????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

i did get somthing which stated everything but im sure it wasnt the cert. i contacted them today and they were sound about it, they said they would cover all costs. how long should it take to come.???????

I bought with Sharwatch too, the cert comes quite quick (when they do send it) i got mine no problem 2-3 days :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Allah Hu Akbar

It's not really a cert, it's just a sheet of paper.

Only takes a few days.

ya i no, hope it comes soon, cause there boi shares and there at a good price now!!!!!

• Advertisement

try doing this.

I sold a few today with the sharewatch cert.

Say my name is JOE MCBLOGGS.

The sharewatch ref number on the "CERT" would be MCBLO-J-001

So using the last 5 letters in your surname and the first letter of your forname and your trade referece will be 001 tell them that over the phone it should work without waiting on the "CERT" ;)

no you do need the cert.... i gave them that anyway

Could you not have let on you received it in the post? Its only a solution if u are in an extreme hurry

but do they not need the cert to sell??????????

all they need is the reference number on the cert as above that and that only... :rolleyes:

so i dont need to send a cert away to sharewatch in order to sell..?

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭samson09

Hope nobody was caught holding BOI shares, im looking at 27% drop at moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Down, Down They Go!

Anyone fancy calling the bottom?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 iPaddy

12c :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭samson09

-37% and still dropping.
    Bottom is at 0.01 or when banks are nationalised.

Advertisement