Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

Thanks I will give them a call in the morning to confirm.

If you could post up here when you find out that would be great, I'd prefer paying by cheque then doing it online.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

http://fees.nuim.ie/bankinfo.shtml
    Students are advised to use the bank giro system rather than sending cash or cheques directly to the Fees & Grants Office. If, however, you are unable to use the giro system, you may come into the office with cash, cheques or drafts, made payable to NUI Maynooth. Again remember to have your I.D number with you to enable us to issue you with a receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Hey guys,quick question....Does anyone know that if you dont have the ECDL done can you still register for second year?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

What course?

Arts but I picked Economics as one of my subjects(Why I will never know). I'm dropping it now but I'm just worried that I won't be able to register because of not having it completed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Wendero

No, you cannot register for second year. Even if you're dropping economics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

anyone know what the modules up for semester 1 in geography are like? Thinking natural hazards and disasters and either biogeography, foundations of GIS, Cultural geog or geographies of globalization

hmmmm

Oh.....ok thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭smiles302

Does anyone know which people you talk to if your modules on the timetable clash? Is it each department separate or is their a timetable committee or whatever?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭lsuzanne1987

Oh.....ok thanks.

I would contact the Records Office about your predicament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

kellief wrote: »
    anyone know what the modules up for semester 1 in geography are like? Thinking natural hazards and disasters and either biogeography, foundations of GIS, Cultural geog or geographies of globalization

hmmmm

If you press the individually you get a break down, but from what I can tell having looked at last years timetable too, many of the modules are new or changed!

Had a clash myself so can't do the hazards and disasters one, not impressed :mad:
    on the other hand because of said clash, and not being able to do that module I now have every Wednesday off :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Natural Hazards and disasters is my favourite module I've EVER taken in Maynooth. Do it! You'll love it. Register on the first day though because the class size is capped and no one drops out really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

I have just discovered that I have passed 4 out of 7 of my repeats, all 3 fails are in Geography, the subject I plan to drop in second year. Anyone know what my options would be now.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭smiles302

I have just discovered that I have passed 4 out of 7 of my repeats, all 3 fails are in Geography, the subject I plan to drop in second year. Anyone know what my options would be now.

You *might* be ok with an overall 35%. But I would contact the college and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭LCgonnakillme

smiles302 wrote: »
    Does anyone know which people you talk to if your modules on the timetable clash? Is it each department separate or is their a timetable committee or whatever?

this happened to me in first year. My tutorials were clashing with lectures, so I talked to each department individually and they sorted it for me. If you have two lectures on at the same time, swap one if they're optional. Hope this helps ;)

smiles302 wrote: »
    You *might* be ok with an overall 35%. But I would contact the college and see.

I think it was an overall 27% in Geography,I am registered with the access office so I will call into them tomorrow.

Natural Hazards and disasters is my favourite module I've EVER taken in Maynooth. Do it! You'll love it. Register on the first day though because the class size is capped and no one drops out really.

I'm really leaning towards it!! What other modules did you take?
    If you press the individually you get a break down, but from what I can tell having looked at last years timetable too, many of the modules are new or changed!

Had a clash myself so can't do the hazards and disasters one, not impressed :mad:
    on the other hand because of said clash, and not being able to do that module I now have every Wednesday off :P

I read all the individual break down and that's whats causing the predicament! Looking for experiences of the modules from others!
    Nice to have a day off in the week!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Get in touch with Academic Advisory sharply, is my first piece of advice.

Secondly, You may be OK. A mate of mine failed French overall in 1st year. He told me they let into second year on the grounds he didn't do French. So, that maybe an option put to you when you get your results in the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Bhoy_

Do these timetables just include lectures and not show tutorials? My timetable is looking awful skinny otherwise :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

Bhoy_ wrote: »
    Do these timetables just include lectures and not show tutorials? My timetable is looking awful skinny otherwise :/

Saaaaaaaaaaaame...It does say this however: Note that practical sessions, small group work and some modules are not timetabled, contact relevant department for details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fenny

Tutorials aren't on the timetable because you sign up for them in the first week or two of term. There are different timeslots to choose from, so make sure to sign up quickly if you don't want early morning or Friday tutorials. You're usually told in lectures when you have to sign up, though, so there's plenty of time until then.

JBoyle4eva wrote: »
    Get in touch with Academic Advisory sharply, is my first piece of advice.

Secondly, You may be OK. A mate of mine failed French overall in 1st year. He told me they let into second year on the grounds he didn't do French. So, that maybe an option put to you when you get your results in the post.

I will be straight into them tomorrow morning,thanks for the info.

Have your lecture timetable with you when you sign up for tutorials so you know for definite when you're free!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

How many tutorials would you roughly have in a week?

amyputz wrote: »
    How many tutorials would you roughly have in a week?

Some subjects you have a tutorial every second week. I had 3 a week for semester 1 and 2 a week for semester 2 in first year.
    Doing English, Geography and Psychology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

When will the timetable be correct??

The list of modules available does not correlate to the timetable on the nuim website for 2nd year economics electives. In fact one of the modules isn't even listed. Will this all be sorted for registration on Thursday??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

kellief wrote: »
    I'm really leaning towards it!! What other modules did you take?

I took Natural Hazards and Disasters, Cultural geography, Urban Geography and political geography. Political Geog is my second fav ever. It's really brilliant, you get to run your own campaign to attempt to get elected and all. It's really fantastic. Also, AK is an absolute legend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭J.D.R

Right, just wondering as it seems to be a bit of a grey area, what's the story with fees if you know you are going to get the grant, but you haven't gotten your approval letter yet?

I know I am getting the grant as we are within all the requirements, and the fact that my sister got the full Grant awarded to her. The problem is when she was in first year it took til december to get the approval. I am wondering if I will have to get a loan to pay the full fee now, and wait a few months to get the refund, or if it was possible to bring my sisters approval letter or something?

That only thing I have gotten so far is the "Awaiting Approval" letter. Will that do? I plan on giving the fees office a ring on Monday either way, but just thought I'd ask to see if anyone on here would have any idea?

Thanks,
    Jack

Call your Council/VEC and ask for a letter of proof that you're getting the grant, or else wait for the letter to arrive. (you'll get an initial one). They'll take that in the meantime.

• Advertisement

First Year Handbook coming soon.

/Starts on newspaper

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement