Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭princess_calico

banquo wrote: »
    There is now a fly inside the laptop.

.......... The Ring ...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

The ladies lounge has a man that knocks on the screen and waves, it terrifies me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

would like to thank Banquo for buying me hot chocolate today in the arts block or as he reffered to it "settling the debt" ha. also can still smell said hot chocolate from the pcs both previously mentioned parties used :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Nice one music department. Just stick an essay deadline in the middle of the exams. Savage.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭CnaG

Facebook. Boards. Breakingnews. No news breaking. Back to Facebook. Everyone studying so nothing exciting happening. Open section A notes for tomorrow's exam. Panic. Back to Facebook. Still nothing happening. Back to Boards...

Dammit! Must. Study.

Edit: refresh page to see if anything has happened on boards while typing. Nothing. Decide to edit this post. I'm sensing the beginning of a vicious circle here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Researching XCode development.

/awaits Alt_grrr to tell me I'm foolish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Nice one music department. Just stick an essay deadline in the middle of the exams. Savage.

/Waves from aboard the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

THEY TOOK MY FAVOURITE PENS OFF THE MARKET.

:eek:

Crisis here people*.

These bic pens do not feel the same, very upsetting. :(

*Any minor event soon becomes crisis when one is procrastinating.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

CnaG wrote: »
    Oh. One of those.

:pac:

3rd year myself, so we were the guinea pigs for the course you're doing. John O'Brennan is a fantastic lecturer. I vaguely recall that paper being a bit hard, but then, aren't most exams a bit hard.

I'm Sowwy to disappoint! :P
    The module was really good. I'm just hoping I manage to pass it!
    Makes me wish I could have done politics the whole year!

Well, I suppose the good news is that almost if not all politics modules are open to sociology students. But certainly when I was in first year, not all our modules were as good as John's one. You can do international relations with him next year, if you're interested, and in third year he runs (well, ran, might be different next year) a thesis elective.

The best module, in my opinion, which I took as part of the politics course was, ironically enough, a geography module. "Political Geography". As politics students we were let take it, but it's actually possible, I hear, to take up to 5 credits worth of modules outside of your main course every year if anyone's interested. I wish I'd known that in first year!

EDIT: could there *be* any more commas in those sentences? :O

• Advertisement

Well, I suppose the good news is that almost if not all politics modules are open to sociology students. But certainly when I was in first year, not all our modules were as good as John's one. You can do international relations with him next year, if you're interested, and in third year he runs (well, ran, might be different next year) a thesis elective.

The best module, in my opinion, which I took as part of the politics course was, ironically enough, a geography module. "Political Geography". As politics students we were let take it, but it's actually possible, I hear, to take up to 5 credits worth of modules outside of your main course every year if anyone's interested. I wish I'd known that in first year!

EDIT: could there *be* any more commas in those sentences? :O

That was the only poitics module open to us Sociology first years this year! And if all things go right I won't be doing Sociology next year! If I get into Law I want to take History with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

I wish I did that European politics module instead of Global Society. Have been attempting all evening to read it and am no closer to understanding it.

I think I would have liked to have done law... but it wasn't an option when we started. History is good though. Tough, but in the main interesting. Had a terrible module in second year about the history of the british isles which I hated, but some I really enjoyed. Most other people loved the one I didn't like. Each to their own I guess.

Kiwi knock - did you have Laurence Cox teaching you? If so, the exam paper will be almost exactly like the sample paper. If you had Laurence Davis on the other hand...

No Pauline Cullen is the lecturer, she gave us the questions but I am struggling with the readings and relating them to the question.

Careful what you say dear, a lot of people lurk on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

does anybody know if you can repeat an exam if you don't fail it to get a better grade?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I think you can but only in your final year. Not sure though...

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    No Pauline Cullen is the lecturer, she gave us the questions but I am struggling with the readings and relating them to the question.

We had Pauline too for international public policy - my last exam and the one I'm most concerned about. I found the course difficult, and there are a lot of readings to be done. :(

But Roz is right, people lurking, better stop.

Anyone else notice that there seems to be a lot more lurkers around these days? I know I'm practically a newbie myself, but there's been loads of usernames posting that I've never seen before lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

banquo wrote: »
    Researching XCode development.

/awaits Alt_grrr to tell me I'm foolish.

Why would I tell you such a thing... your more then aware of your foolishness already.

XCode is just a tool. But it just so happens to be the one and only tool that the mighty Steve Jobs demands you use.

There are better IDE's out there which are more powerful with better features.

But since you have dreams of iPhone apps dancing in your head, I shall leave you to your foolishness...

• Advertisement

Finding it very entertaining to watch girls come in to the reading room, put their bag down, leave, and come back ten minutes later with a full face of make up :P

Also, did anyone see the sign on the door of the reading room?

Sauna/steam room. Reserved for NUIM students only. Please bring a towel and wipe seats after use :D

I think I would have liked to have done law... but it wasn't an option when we started. History is good though. Tough, but in the main interesting. Had a terrible module in second year about the history of the british isles which I hated, but some I really enjoyed. Most other people loved the one I didn't like. Each to their own I guess.

Is that module compulsory?

Looking at the modules I'm thinking about American History in first semester and History of Medicine in second semester. Know anything about either of those?

Wanted to do International Relations in history but if the timetable says the same as it was for second years this year I won't be able to because it will clash with law

Yeah Law timetable is horrible for next year, leaves me no choice with the electives I want to do in Politics. Maybe it might change but I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

I'm so unenthused to study today. Exam in three and a half hours and so far today all I've done is sit in the arts block and chat to people :-/

Yeah Law timetable is horrible for next year, leaves me no choice with the electives I want to do in Politics. Maybe it might change but I doubt it.

latest start will be 10am for me except fro Thurs which I will have completely free! :)
    Four law modules per semester v 2 history. fun...

I have four law and three politics. 14 hours a week with no days off and no late starts. Not looking forward to next year

Wouldn't mind a sitewide studyban..

I have four law and three politics. 14 hours a week with no days off and no late starts. Not looking forward to next year

Ew icky!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

does anybody know if you can repeat an exam if you don't fail it to get a better grade?

I know you definitely can for chemistry and don't see why it wouldn't be across the board, only thing is if you fail it in August you can't use your original grade...
    Finding it very entertaining to watch girls come in to the reading room, put their bag down, leave, and come back ten minutes later with a full face of make up :P

Also, did anyone see the sign on the door of the reading room?

Sauna/steam room. Reserved for NUIM students only. Please bring a towel and wipe seats after use :D

Always love your posts, Michellenman! Didn't even spot that sign!
    I myself put on the slap at half five this morning! Crazy? Yes, but it makes me feel better :)

Did I crash into in the bathroom in Arts this morning, if I did, I'm sorry, my brain no work so good in morning the...

One down, three to go, come on Chemistry Party!

• Advertisement

You did! Although to be fair it was like 8 in the morning, I wasn't expecting anything more than a grunt :P

I was also sitting beside you originally but when I got back TWO people has managed to squeeze in where there was only space for half a person so I whipped my extension cable out and moved to a table where I didn't have to sit with my arms glued to my sides :P

You're almost done! YAAAAY!!

I have yet to start :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement