Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,478 ✭✭✭✭guil

If I buy an iphone 5 from Vodafone with 24 months contract, unlock it and don't pay the contract anymore and change to another provider (for example 3), will vodafone come after me?

Of course they will and possibly blacklist the phone as well.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

If I buy an iphone 5 from Vodafone with 24 months contract, unlock it and don't pay the contract anymore and change to another provider (for example 3), will vodafone come after me?

Apart from keep charging you for the contract, maybe they might blacklist it so it can't be used in Ireland.........:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭whellman1030

Is 2 Mbps in 3G tested and real enough to make phone calls with viber and watch youtube?

Is 2 Mbps in 3G tested and real enough to make phone calls with viber and watch youtube?

No you need at least 100 Mbps for youtube

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 5,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭culabula

If you have any more questions for this forum, lets have them more grown-up in nature. Otherwise, desist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

For somebody in the know,

I bought an iPhone 5 yesterday and right out of the box it had iOS 6.1.4 (I had hoped and thought that it may have been a slightly older one)
    Is there likely to be a jailbreak available anytime soon, or (and I may have picked this up wrong) am I to believe they are no longer working on new jailbreaks until iOS 7?

Thanks

For somebody in the know,

I bought an iPhone 5 yesterday and right out of the box it had iOS 6.1.4 (I had hoped and thought that it may have been a slightly older one)
    Is there likely to be a jailbreak available anytime soon, or (and I may have picked this up wrong) am I to believe they are no longer working on new jailbreaks until iOS 7?

Thanks

Are you sure it was on 6.1.4 when you got it. It's rare that a phone has the very latest software when it was released such a short time before. I got my iPhone 5 in march and I'm nearly certain it had iOS 6 on it.

Could be wrong but I don't think there was ever a jailbreak for the iPhone 5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

guil wrote: »
    Could be wrong

You are :D

You are :D

Short and sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

guil wrote: »
    Are you sure it was on 6.1.4 when you got it. It's rare that a phone has the very latest software when it was released such a short time before. I got my iPhone 5 in march and I'm nearly certain it had iOS 6 on it.

Could be wrong but I don't think there was ever a jailbreak for the iPhone 5

I was under the assumption that 6.1.1 or was jailbreakable (but I'm a relative simpleton on these things and haven't attempted a jb since the iOS 4 days)

But yeah, 6.1.4 right out of the box yesterday. Very surprised. I can only assume it was a very recent stock delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Bought a Gevey sim on eBay for €8. Took 2 weeks to arrive from china and after 4 months my 4S on 6.0.1 is finally unlocked. Genuinely surprised it worked so easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

Bought a Gevey sim on eBay for €8. Took 2 weeks to arrive from china and after 4 months my 4S on 6.0.1 is finally unlocked. Genuinely surprised it worked so easily.

Ya I used a gevey sim to unlock my 4s also. It works great. You're lucky the one from China worked, somebody told me that the cheap ones from China are imitations and don't work but that doesn't seem to be the case.

pbarr wrote: »
    Ya I used a gevey sim to unlock my 4s also. It works great. You're lucky the one from China worked, somebody told me that the cheap ones from China are imitations and don't work but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I would have thought the same. Wasn't prepared to spend a fortune on a genuine one incase it didn't work and was suspicious that a cheap one wouldn't. Great feedback and it being cheap convinced me and I'm delighted it worked.

I bought one from the German eBay sellerr. i think it was 28 euro and like yourself delighted with the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

I've a gevey I don't need anymore if anyone needs it, pm and I'll post it on free of charge.

Can this cards be used to unlock iPhone 5 on Meteor?

Can this cards be used to unlock iPhone 5 on Meteor?

It depends on the baseband and iOS it's on but I think so. The name of the seller I bought from was wonderful-Sunday. (http://myworld.ebay.com/wonderful-sunday)
    They're currently away so in a few days they'll have all their products back up with full descriptions.

Based on this I ordered one yesterday from eBay. Arrived at lunchtime.

Doesn't work.

Anyone any suggestions in case am doing something wrong?

culabula wrote: »
    Based on this I ordered one yesterday from eBay. Arrived at lunchtime.

Doesn't work.

Anyone any suggestions in case am doing something wrong?

Have you entered in the correct carrier code for the network the phone is locked too?

Also I had to remove the white reset sim twice (within 10 seconds of it putting the right network settings) before it worked for me.

Have you entered in the correct carrier code for the network the phone is locked too?

Also I had to remove the white reset sim twice (within 10 seconds of it putting the right network settings) before it worked for me.

I can't even get that far!

• Advertisement

In my case I didn't have to put in any carrier codes. The instructions are here: http://www.gevey.com/instructions/
    The specific instructions I followed are here: http://www.gevey.com/unlock-gsm-iphone-4s-with-sim/ My IOS is 6.1.3 and I had no problems. The only thing not working is the personal hotspot. When I turn it on I get a message to contact Meteor, it was to Meteor that the phone was locked to. I'm going to try a fresh restore and set up as a new phone and then unlock it again to see if it will cure the hotspot problem.

In my case I didn't have to put in any carrier codes. The instructions are here: http://www.gevey.com/instructions/
    The specific instructions I followed are here: http://www.gevey.com/unlock-gsm-iphone-4s-with-sim/ My IOS is 6.1.3 and I had no problems. The only thing not working is the personal hotspot. When I turn it on I get a message to contact Meteor, it was to Meteor that the phone was locked to. I'm going to try a fresh restore and set up as a new phone and then unlock it again to see if it will cure the hotspot problem.

In actual fact I started again once I got the information that T-Mobile UK is actually identified as UK-ORG (Gevey seems keen for you to guess or learn Mandarin).

This time I got a bit further, as far as searching for the network after rebooting. However this went on for an hour and made no difference. I switched to manual and managed to tick a network, but it would not connect.

Eventually I tried various SIMs from Meteor, O2 IRL, 3 UK and SFR. Same result each and every time. He's posted me out a replacement.

In actual fact I started again once I got the information that T-Mobile UK is actually identified as UK-ORG (Gevey seems keen for you to guess or learn Mandarin).

This time I got a bit further, as far as searching for the network after rebooting. However this went on for an hour and made no difference. I switched to manual and managed to tick a network, but it would not connect.

Eventually I tried various SIMs from Meteor, O2 IRL, 3 UK and SFR. Same result each and every time. He's posted me out a replacement.

Good luck with it. Let us know how you get on.

Good luck with it. Let us know how you get on.

Not good: replacement arrived just now (excellent service) but really, life's too short for what ensued.

This one worked better than the first one in that I got to the searching part much more quickly. Perhaps it simply doesn't like Three SIMS (he warns about Giffgaff).

However, after many retries I finally got my 3IRL SIM to connect to 3 UK. Unfortunately a) it doesn't stay connected for long b) the signal is ridiculously weak and c) data doesn't work - so not a 100% unlock.

Fortunately, I can return the items.

Not good: replacement arrived just now (excellent service) but really, life's too short for what ensued.

This one worked better than the first one in that I got to the searching part much more quickly. Perhaps it simply doesn't like Three SIMS (he warns about Giffgaff).

However, after many retries I finally got my 3IRL SIM to connect to 3 UK. Unfortunately a) it doesn't stay connected for long b) the signal is ridiculously weak and c) data doesn't work - so not a 100% unlock.

Fortunately, I can return the items.

My data didn't work until I turned data roaming on. My phone was locked to 3UK and once I put data roaming on it worked fine.

My data didn't work until I turned data roaming on. My phone was locked to 3UK and once I put data roaming on it worked fine.

Using Three IRL in the six counties, I always have to put data roaming on, so that isn't the issue. The guy just suggested creating a custom profile for the APN, which I did, but this doesn't address the unreliability of getting on board the network in the first place.

The problem is it's just too fiddly, takes too long and you run the risk of being booted off the network at critical times.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

A friend was looking to get an iPhone 4 unlocked and a mobile repair shop in Dub is claiming it can do an over the air unlock if you give them thew IMEI. I wasn't aware this was possible outside of the network operators, can anyone substantiate their claim?

Found this for iphone 4 and 4s: http://www.gevey.com/instructions/

Anyway in Ireland by my research is only possible to unlock iPhone 5 by IMEI and only for vodafone or O2.

Found this for iphone 4 and 4s: http://www.gevey.com/instructions/

Anyway in Ireland by my research is only possible to unlock iPhone 5 by IMEI and only for vodafone or O2.

These Gevey SIMs as per my research of the past two days are very hit and miss.

All Irish networks will unlock iPhone either by paying up front or at the end of your contract.

O2 Ireland will unlock on request.

You can buy an unlocked iPhone 5 here: store.apple.com/ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Cale

Hi all,

I have an iPhone 4 running 6.1.3 and baseband 04.12.05 and I wish to unlock it myself.

Just wondering which methods are out there and if you could direct me to those places (that work :))...?

Thanks.

Edit: Nevermind. Impossible apparently. :(

Advertisement