Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

I've an iPhone 5, is there good enough reason to jailbreak it when this 6.1 jb comes out? I've never jailbroken my phone before, and I've no interest at all at getting apps illegally or anything, and the last jailbreak I saw on someone's 3GS a short while after they came out just seemed very gimmicky as all that was changed was the icons, and it all looked very laggy.

Basically, is it worth my while, if im not interested in changing icons or not paying or apps?

I never had much interest in it either but 21 months into iphone 4 contract I could really do with shaking up my OS a bit. I've previously jailbroken ATV2 but nothing else til today when I ran redsn0w on an old ipod touch 2g for the craic. You still have all the ios features and the ability to add custom features and tweaks. I avoided in the past as I was afraid of bricking my phone, but this jailbreak already sounds pretty solid and should work on my phone. Hope it comes out before bedtime - already restoring and backing up phone via itunes -Bring it on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

eeloe wrote: »
    I've been out of the jailbreak game for far too long!

Roll on later tonight! :-)

Any idea what time? Half time of the Super Bowl maybe :)

May be better to get it in morning anyway as the American Jailbreakers will be gone to bed. Evasi0n still at 85% :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

AntiRip wrote: »
    Have a look at some of the apps here
    http://www.cultofmac.com/141796/the-best-jailbreak-apps-for-the-iphone-4s/

I found the themes and fancy icons caused lag on older versions of iPhones but I don't think it should be a problem on the latest phones and tablets.

IntelliScreenX is very cool though :)

I'm completely in. 3G Unrestrictor is what I need and the ridiculous need for wifi to upload youtube videos, or watch in hd most of the time is a complete pain. Worth upgrading for this alone. A lot of the other stuff does look interesting now, despite it being the very stuff that I remembered as being really pointless.

I'm excited now, time to backup my phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Looking forward to re-jb'ing my iPad, not too bothered about the phone anymore, might just do it to get the blobs saved to cydia, could be handy sometime

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

guil wrote: »
    i wonder how many people won't bother with a jailbreak now that install0us is gone, i haven't had my phone jb in i dunno how long but i might give it another go tonight

I use it for the tweaks and extras; mywi, so I can tether free, my3g, so I can use my AYCE on wifi only apps, IntelliscreenX, just a great all round app, SparrowMail push. I love Sparrow, but it doesn't push, there's a tweak available in Cydia will. There's an app, can't remember the name, adds photos to contacts in jelly, iMessage.

• Advertisement

AntiRip wrote: »
    May be better to get it in morning anyway as the American Jailbreakers will be gone to bed. Evasi0n still at 85% :(

It's looking like you're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

I cant wait for the jailbreak, mine is on ****ty ios5.1 so there's no installous. why ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I cant wait for the jailbreak, mine is on ****ty ios5.1 so there's no installous. why ?

Installous shut down a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Installous shut down a few weeks ago.

wow, I didnt know that. I wonder why.

I suppose there's liitlle need for JB. As I rarely use cydia tweaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

96%
    Looks like today is the day. Brought my sync cable in just in case :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Seems overly complicated no?

You need to have updated to 6.1 via iTunes and not via OTA.

You need so save ssh and blobs, what ever that is/for.

Why can't they make a jailbreak like that guy that that went to work for Apple for a brief time.

Go to a website click yes and you're jail broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

mad muffin wrote: »
    Seems overly complicated no?

You need to have updated to 6.1 via iTunes and not via OTA.

You need so save ssh and blobs, what ever that is/for.

Why can't they make a jailbreak like that guy that that went to work for Apple for a brief time.

Go to a website click yes and you're jail broken.

I feel sorry for you if you feel that its overly complicated. You dont need to save your blobs, its done automatically by cydia and has been for a long time, there used in the event you want to downgrade they provide that ability. They say via itunes because most people are already jailbroken and its a golden rule when your jailbroken you always restore in itunes to wipe away everything I even lost space when I forgot to once. If your not already jailbroken or never have been OTA should be fine to use this once.

Im betting this will be an easy 3 button jailbreak.

OH OH WERE AT 97%

WHere does it say about not updating OTA ?
    I missed that bit, do i need to reinstall 6.1 via itunes instead?

phill106 wrote: »
    WHere does it say about not updating OTA ?
    I missed that bit, do i need to reinstall 6.1 via itunes instead?

You can still JB, I did that too but just did a restore on iTunes while I waiting for JB to drop. It's something to do with downgrading on next update, ios 6.1.1. Seems there's something slightly different in OTA one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Any news on a JB for the ATV3?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 492 ✭✭thebison

Can somebody tell me in an nutshell what's the pro's/con's of jail-breaking my iPhone or iPad? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

99% :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

I'm a big fan of Cydia and jailbreaking the iPhone etc, I highly regard all the guys work.. BUUUT Does anyone else think that this is the most over hyped thing jailbreak ever??

I'm a big fan of Cydia and jailbreaking the iPhone etc, I highly regard all the guys work.. BUUUT Does anyone else think that this is the most over hyped thing jailbreak ever??

Not if you have been on 5.1.1 for agesss :(:(:( I can no finally use apple maps, i hear great things about it :D

• Advertisement

Interesting, if you change your computer time, the progress bar updates. Looks like it will be released between 4 and 5pm gmt time if it is released at 100%.

Ewww it has gone back to 90%
    Or is that just for me?

*Edit*
    In IE8 it says 90%, in chrome it says 99%...
    Weird...

Bah, I just remembered I'll have to upgrade my baseband to 06.15 so I can get an unlock. Hopefully the baseband downgrader will work with ios6.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,871 ✭✭✭Soarer

I'm assuming Sky Go will stop working if I jailbreak?

There're cydia work arounds for that, well at least there used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,871 ✭✭✭Soarer

Yeah, had that (xCon). Didn't seem to be working the other night when I tried it though.

Don't want to lose my Sky on the iPad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

I don't want to lose my SkyGo either. I'll give this jailbreak a miss for a few days until I hear back reports on how it affects certain apps with lots of restrictions.

Good to hear it's finally coming though.

Even though it's not jailbreaking, if I use Custom Carrier logo, which basically just changes some text in a file on the phone from being say 'Vodafone IE' to whatever else, will this effect any of the function of my phone which I bought unlocked from apple directly?

I'm able to tether freely now which other people who bought their phones from three directly (who im with) can not do. So would installing the new icon give my phone the normal three config, just with a new icon, and thus wipe out my ability to tether?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

naasrd wrote: »
    No, not here. Unless they've invaded?

They don't need to invade to rule everywhere. Once the UK copies them we will copy the UK. :rolleyes:

and it's up!

• Advertisement

Advertisement