Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

thinking of getting a i phone 4s of my mate its locked to the 3 network as he is gonna default on his bill and head to canada
    can i unlock this phone to work with my meteor and vodafone sim cards

There isnt an unlock for the 4s (that i know of anyhow)
    Plus three will block the imei of the phone once the bill hasnt been paid for a while rendering it useless as a phone anyhow.
    It will still work as an ipod touch and the camera will work but bottom line is unless youre getting it for less than the price of an ipod touch, dont bother.

No wonder all the networks are looking for €300 deposits if theres more people like youre mate out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

barryd09 wrote: »
    There isnt an unlock for the 4s (that i know of anyhow)
    Plus three will block the imei of the phone once the bill hasnt been paid for a while rendering it useless as a phone anyhow.
    It will still work as an ipod touch and the camera will work but bottom line is unless youre getting it for less than the price of an ipod touch, dont bother.

No wonder all the networks are looking for €300 deposits if theres more people like youre mate out there.

Have you evidence of 3 blocking the phones?

lordlame wrote: »

Have you evidence that they dont?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

I've seen loads of phones get blocked by 3and Meteor by people doing it so yes! People think they can just sign up to a contract not pay it and walk away with a phone. Doesn't work like that

Of course they block them, give me one good reason they wouldnt?
    What would stop me going into town and getting a 4s off all networks who supply them & not pay a single bill, then head along to adverts & sell them probably by the weekend without any problem for €350-€400 each.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

Hi lads.
    I've recently jailbroken my iPad 2 and iPhone 4s just to try it out. With the now released iOS 5.1 I'm happy to get rid of my jailbreak and revert back. However, I keep getting an error in both devices when trying to download the ipgrade directly and even when I try to do it through iTunes.
    It has to be the jailbreak that's disabling me from upgrade because all my friends have updated no problem. Has anyone got the same problem or has anyone got some advice that might help me.
    Cheers.

BanjoB wrote: »
    Hi lads.
    I've recently jailbroken my iPad 2 and iPhone 4s just to try it out. With the now released iOS 5.1 I'm happy to get rid of my jailbreak and revert back. However, I keep getting an error in both devices when trying to download the ipgrade directly and even when I try to do it through iTunes.
    It has to be the jailbreak that's disabling me from upgrade because all my friends have updated no problem. Has anyone got the same problem or has anyone got some advice that might help me.
    Cheers.

What error are you getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

BanjoB wrote: »
    Hi lads.
    Cheers.

Rather than updating you might need to do a restore!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭guil

ota updates won't work if you're jailbroken, it's quicker to download the ipsw from icalrified rather than itunes and then just hold shift and click restore

• Registered Users Posts: 38 kev1

kev1 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have an iphone 4s iOS 5.0.1 locked on AT&T, baseband 1.0.14, which I want to unlock.

From researching online, I see there is little chance of an ultrasn0w unlock coming anytime soon. However, there are these SIM Transposers which claim to do this. Are these reliable? Anyone ever use them?

I have found a couple of different types and the two I keep seeing popping up on various forums are:
    1. Gevey Ultra S sim from applenberry, found here: http://applenberry.com/store/gevey-sim/gevey-ultra-s - cost $64.99

2. GPP SIM which works specifically for 4s locked on AT&T. I have found these on two different places
    a. http://www.store4iphone.com/product/gpp-unlock-sim-for-all-at-t-iphone-4s/ - which sells it for $52.99
    b. http://www.buygpp.com/ - which sells it for only $29.99 (with shipping).

From a price viewpoint, this last place looks the most attractive. A company called www.iphonerepairmiamibeach.com (http://www.facebook.com/iPhoneRepairMia ) is behind this website. But, I don't really know anything about them and I don't know if its a reliable place or is it too good to be true??

If anyone has any insight into any of these places, it would be great to hear!

Thanks.

P.s. sorry for the long post

Anyone have any information on these at all?

Have been searching Google, with little or no success, trying to get any feedback on these products/companies. There seems to be very little unbiased/objective opinions on these out there.

• Advertisement

Have you evidence that they dont?

Yes, they didn't block mine.

What would stop me going into town and getting a 4s off all networks who supply them & not pay a single bill, then head along to adverts & sell them probably by the weekend without any problem for €350-€400 each.

Credit history, perhaps?

Yes, they didn't block mine.

A network didnt block your phone for not paying the bill?
    Credit history, perhaps?

If you dont pay they cut you off, why would credit history prevent them from not cutting you off & blocking the phone?

A network didnt block your phone for not paying the bill?

If you dont pay they cut you off, why would credit history prevent them from not cutting you off & blocking the phone?

The credit history check would prevent you from taking out multiple phones from different providers.

Nothing is stopping you from selling them on eBay USA etc where they wouldn't be blocked but I do not advise doing this.

Yes, I was in contract with 3 and I ported my number to O2. O2 asked if I was in contract or not and I said no, the number was ported within 2 hours.

I received a text message from 3 saying:

"From 3: We have received a request to port your number. There is a final balance on your account. Please call 1913 to discuss"

But the port still went through and the phone is still working fine albeit with a gevey sim.

Several friends have done this with meteor specifically. I think they waited 3-4 months before cancelling the direct debit but the phone still works. I do not condone doing it but I had several issues with the quality of their network and support.

TBH, i think youre full of it.

You ported away from 3 and all you got was a text message asking you to talk to them about your balance? So they basically allowed you to leave your contract without a charge/penalty, keep the phone, without blocking it and all while they have your proof of address & bank statements & photo ID - and theyve never followed you for it?
    i doubt it myself.
    But i do expect this conversation to be wound up soon by mods as its a cydia/jailbreak thread & most of what youve said isnt exactly legal.

years ago i got a nokia 6680 off three and they blocked it when the bill wasn't paid

guil wrote: »
    years ago i got a nokia 6680 off three and they blocked it when the bill wasn't paid

But apparently they dont do it to iPhones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

anyone know if there's a jailbreak yet for the 4s running latest software 5.1 im a new iphone owner haven't got the know how yet cant find much on Google kinda skeptical of some of the sites

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭DYLF

spider_pig wrote: »
    anyone know if there's a jailbreak yet for the 4s running latest software 5.1 im a new iphone owner haven't got the know how yet cant find much on Google kinda skeptical of some of the sites

cheers

not yet i'm afriad

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sandt

Hi,

How would i go about updating a currently unlocked and jailbroken iphone 3gs (on FW 4.1, baseband 06.15.00) to iOS 5.0 or is there a way to update it to 5.1.

I dont mind if its a tethered work around.

thanks

• Advertisement

download ios 5.1 from icalrified and sn0wbreeze

create a custom ipsw with sn0wbreeze and then restore to that firmware in itunes, the jb is only tethered at the moment but go to cydia and add repo.iparelhos.com to the sources
    search for ultrasn0w fixer after you add the repo and install it to unlock

• Registered Users Posts: 22 dev_g

create a custom ipsw with sn0wbreeze and then restore to that firmware in itunes, the jb is only tethered at the moment but go to cydia and add repo.iparelhos.com to the sources

thanks, can i restore all my apps, messages etc from a backup after this process?

dev_g wrote: »
    thanks, can i restore all my apps, messages etc from a backup after this process?
    yes

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sandt

worked a treat thanks for your help, but when i restored using my earlier backup it only restored my contacts and messages not my apps, how can i do this?

thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

My mate just bought a Ipod touch 4G. It came with 5.0 firmware installed. Can I update it to 5.01 so I can get him an untethered jailbreak? Or will it not work as 5.01 is not being signed anymore and the IPOD is not jailbroken (No SHSH blobs saved)?

Thanks in advance,

Is there any way of using mobile broadband with an ipod touch?
    As in the existing mobile broad dongle as its connected to a laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Jimmy Macnulty

Hi Guys,

Can anyone help me out. This question has probably been asked 1000 times here but I have a friend going to New York at the weekend and I want him to get me an Ipad. My quiestion is will a 3g Ipad work over here and what is the situation with AT&T and verizon. Will a normal jailbreak let me put a vodafone irish sim into the ipad?

Thanks

sandt wrote: »
    worked a treat thanks for your help, but when i restored using my earlier backup it only restored my contacts and messages not my apps, how can i do this?

thanks again
    make sure apps are set to sync and each app has a tick beside the name
    My mate just bought a Ipod touch 4G. It came with 5.0 firmware installed. Can I update it to 5.01 so I can get him an untethered jailbreak? Or will it not work as 5.01 is not being signed anymore and the IPOD is not jailbroken (No SHSH blobs saved)?

Thanks in advance,
    they might be still signing 5.0.1
    Is there any way of using mobile broadband with an ipod touch?
    As in the existing mobile broad dongle as its connected to a laptop?
    you have to set up an adhoc network on the laptop and need the laptop on anytime you want to use the internet on the ipod
    Hi Guys,

Can anyone help me out. This question has probably been asked 1000 times here but I have a friend going to New York at the weekend and I want him to get me an Ipad. My quiestion is will a 3g Ipad work over here and what is the situation with AT&T and verizon. Will a normal jailbreak let me put a vodafone irish sim into the ipad?

Thanks
    i'm not 100% but i'm fairly sure the ipad isn't carrier locked like an iphone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Hi folks,

I'm in the process of buying a 2nd hand iphone 4. The seller has got it unlocked from 02 but says I have to put a non 02 sim in it and connect it to i tunes to complete the unlock process.

Does this sound right? I'm completely new to i phones and haven't a clue tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

ft9 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I'm in the process of buying a 2nd hand iphone 4. The seller has got it unlocked from 02 but says I have to put a non 02 sim in it and connect it to i tunes to complete the unlock process.

Does this sound right? I'm completely new to i phones and haven't a clue tbh.

That's exactly the way it goes..

Advertisement