Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

cheers - where did you get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭MrSparkle

Cyrus wrote: »
    New in ;)

Wow that's really nice, congrats.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

TBH I prefer the tudor stuff for the most part. Like you say 90%(if not more) of the quality for a lot less.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

MiCr0 wrote: »
    cheers - where did you get it?

Morgan Jones in Copenhagen
    http://www.tudorcollector.com/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Cool site. :) My very first vintage buy was a tudor oyster from the 40's IIRC.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Nice Panerai, what model is that? I'm starting to get a liking for Panerai now that my Glashutte Original itch is scratched!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

bedlam wrote: »
    Welcome to the club...

000 aka Base Logo

Thanks Bedlam :) what model do you have?

Yep its the Base Zero or 000, the cheapest one :D altho thats a relative term :pac:

Also for me its one of the nicest, very clean likes and unmistakeably Panerai

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Been wanting to get another G-Shock for a while.

After a lot of internet searching picked up this bad boy. I like the negative dispaly!

IMG_0112.jpg

GW-7900B-1JF_MED.jpg

I always had a thing for G-shocks. That neg display is kinda funky alright. :) Would it not eat more battery with the screen being more on than a standard display though? Like the dirty great star screws in the bezel too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Wibbs
    That neg display is kinda funky alright. Would it not eat more battery with the screen being more on than a standard display though?

It would yeah but its solar powered so as long as it gets exposure to sunlight/bright lights regularly its grand.
    Also has the cool feature of receiving satellite atomic clock updates every night so the time is always correct!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Been wanting to get another G-Shock for a while.

After a lot of internet searching picked up this bad boy. I like the negative dispaly!

Is that one of the men in mat black series? I had my eye on the riseman from that series, then I saw a precionist I really liked, the possibility of a Stowa LE, and a couple of Oris means I probably won't get one. The negative displays are beautiful and its always nice to have an atomic around, great purchase.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

A Buren watch that my grandmother gave me about 30 years ago. I know nothing about it other than she told me it was 'a good watch' when she gave it to me.
    I've no idea what model or age it is. There is a number 354301 on the back of the case. It has a very small face, only about 2cm in diameter.
    Morto that I haven't taken better care of it. I didn't realise it was so dusty until I took the photo.
    picture.php?albumid=309&pictureid=8786

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

Wibbs wrote: »
    Would it not eat more battery with the screen being more on than a standard display though?
    It would yeah but its solar powered so as long as it gets exposure to sunlight/bright lights regularly its grand.

All other conditions being the same, there's absolutely no difference in the power consumption between one negative display watch and a positive one.
    All it takes to change a positive display into a negative one is to turn the polarizing film 90 degrees, is that simple!

spurious wrote: »
    A Buren watch that my grandmother gave me about 30 years ago. I know nothing about it other than she told me it was 'a good watch' when she gave it to me.
    I've no idea what model or age it is. There is a number 354301 on the back of the case. It has a very small face, only about 2cm in diameter.
    Morto that I haven't taken better care of it. I didn't realise it was so dusty until I took the photo.
    picture.php?albumid=309&pictureid=8786
    I'd heard of the name but never saw one before. Cool :) They closed down in the late 60's IIRC. So it can't be any newer than that. It looks 50's or 60's to my eye anyway.

Yep size can be a problem with the vintage stuff. Hence so many lay unloved in drawers. They look more like ladies watches of today. 20mm is smaller than usual though. 30mm is more olde stylee mans size(whereas today if it's not at least 40mm its not really trying :D). Newbies to vintage collecting can get caught out that way if buying online. Maybe it's a so called boys size? That was common enough in the past and it doesnt look like a ladies style.
    m4r10 wrote: »
    All other conditions being the same, there's absolutely no difference in the power consumption between one negative display watch and a positive one.
    All it takes to change a positive display into a negative one is to turn the polarizing film 90 degrees, is that simple!
    Cheers for that. Committed to memory. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Well

The tiny Tag Carrera GMT went back and I bought this instead

147925.jpg

Looking forward to getting her.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Niiiice. No size issues there anyway :)

Wibbs wrote: »
    Yep size can be a problem with the vintage stuff. Hence so many lay unloved in drawers. They look more like ladies watches of today. 20mm is smaller than usual though. 30mm is more olde stylee mans size(whereas today if it's not at least 40mm its not really trying :D). Newbies to vintage collecting can get caught out that way if buying online. Maybe it's a so called boys size? That was common enough in the past and it doesnt look like a ladies style.

Cheers for that. Committed to memory. :)

I hear ya...see my previous posts

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

Well

The tiny Tag Carrera GMT went back and I bought this instead

Looking forward to getting her.

Looks like a Seamaster 2254 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Looks like a Seamaster 2254 ?

tis, or a 2264 (cant read the dial)

Cyrus wrote: »
    tis, or a 2264 (cant read the dial)

Shes a 2262

• Advertisement

Hi

Check out this baby...

Cant wait ...

That's funky :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Homer

How do you tell the time on that baby?!

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

By the looks of it, it's around 3:50, the inner disc indicating the hours, the outer one the minutes.

m4r10 wrote: »
    By the looks of it, it's around 3:50, the inner disc indicating the hours, the outer one the minutes.

hehehee

exactly hours on the bigger inner ring and minutes on the outer smaller on

No good at nite and defo useless when drunk....but that's what a phone is for

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

I kind of miss the date though

Very nice. :) The only Rolex I've ever liked TBH. I think they're nicer without the date. Especially that huge bloody bubble Rolex put over said dates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I agree Wibbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

Funny enough, when I had a Rolex with the date bubble, it took some getting used to, in an aesthetic sense. However, I came to like it.

I'm hoping now I'll readjust quickly, and stop checking my watch 5 times a day for the date. I think it looks more classic without the date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Got this at the weekend

technomarine1.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement