Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Wibbs wrote: »
    whether I have a shot with the swedish hostess,

wrong forum, tbh ....http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=827

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Ditto. I was so tempted to get an omega speedy recently, but couldnt find one of the original pre professional(pre 66) dialed ones. Well either they were mad money or of dubious birth. Gorge watch though. Weird it doesnt have a hacking movement though. They're among the best and easiest to read chronos ever made IMHO. No dates or moon phases or mad calculator gradations etc. You can actually read the time on them. It's one reason I never warmed to Brietlings(except for some nice early ones) and many of the TAG's. Never mind working out my remaining fuel and whether I have a shot with the swedish hostess, being able to read the time would be nice :D

It has the Tachymeter which is of no use to me of course. :p

A little back pressure on the crown and the sub-seconds hand will stop and even regress sometimes.

I've worn it since November and the hesalite crystal had me worried initially but you'd be surprised how hard it is to put a proper scratch on it.
    It has accrued some hairline scratches but these are miniscule and only noticeable under a harsh light.

Agreed though, it's a beautifully glorified stopwatch but it also has that incredibly storied history. A true keeper.

I've decided to keep it for weekends and to wear the bond quartz during the week. A rotation that suits me perfectly.

Rubbish camera pic

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yep it has the tachymeter, but it's on the bezel so can be dutifully ignored(NASA originally wanted to retrofit a 24 hour bezel on it(and add lume to the chrono dials), but time ran out). This is a good thing(tm). The hesalite(plastic/acrylic shhh) crystal is no big issue and like you say needs a fair amount of muppetry to damage it. Plus it can be polished out at home pretty easily. Ordinary Brasso is a charm for it. :) It also survived the NASA tests where sapphire glass failed in the later tests. It being "a beautifully glorified stopwatch" is a good thing godammit!! :mad: :D It's legible and useful. Which is more than can be said for some of the so called pilot/tool watches out there these days. Dates are a waste of dial IMHO. Moon phases I've a little more sympathy for, but not on a black dialed tool watch.Hell I may have gone for a chrono recently, but even there I consider a three register chrono an extravagance :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Got this last night, a reissue of a little retro 70s cool, flipped the planet ocean and added a few quid to snag it, i think i like it!

One crappy wristy

d8760635.jpg

and a better web shot

Tudor%20heritage%2002-thumb-450x337-7533.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Cyrus wrote: »
    Got this last night, a reissue of a little retro 70s cool, flipped the planet ocean and added a few quid to snag it, i think i like it!

One crappy wristy
    Fuuunkay and a two register chrono to boot. :)
    bedlam wrote: »
    What were the tests? Given that the Seiko Spacewalk uses sapphire crystal, is it a case of sapphire produced back then being less reliable?
    From what I recall it was down to the sapphire crystal expanding and contracting more and thus popping out. I cant recall which brand it was in the later tests though. Plus if you read the Seiko blurb the specs they test for are less than NASA's in the 60's never mind the late 70's. Seiko= "As the watch will be exposed to a range of temperature from minus 20 degrees Celsius to plus 70" The NASA temp range was higher 90 degrees C and in a vacuum as well as oxygen environment. And the omegas were exposed to more shocks again. http://www.timekeeperforum.com/showthread.php?12445-Omega-Speedmaster-History Whats cool about the Omega is that it was never purposely designed for the task and yet it worked. Well once on one moon walk an example popped the crystal, so the guy used his hamilton chrono on the next moonwalk with no issues. TBH I suspect many quality mechanical watches would work in space.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

stupid dying urls

IMG_20110112_165952.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Latest Purchase...Cant wait for it to arrive

145744.jpg

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

I realise that I've been neglecting this place.

1a.JPG

Nice watch, but I think you need to find a good dermatologist :eek: :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

Zagato wrote: »
    Nice watch, but I think you need to find a good dermatologist :eek: :D:D

Very good :).

The latest arrival.
    Stand.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

I Like it! Is it stainless steel?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

is it worth creating a thread similar to the one on the motors forum with people dream watch or current favorite brands?

at the moment the seiko automatic's (6309 and the 007) are my current "Objects of Desire"

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭MrSparkle

MiCr0 wrote: »
    is it worth creating a thread similar to the one on the motors forum with people dream watch or current favorite brands?

at the moment the seiko automatic's (6309 and the 007) are my current "Objects of Desire"

There's this wishlist one but it kind of died out
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055510500&highlight=wishlist

Good idea there. I've applied the electrodes to the zombie thread. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

foxyboxer wrote: »
    Finally got my Moonwatch for my 30th in November.
    It only took 5 bloody years :rolleyes:

1000000859263_2.jpg

* not my pic.

That's a beautiful watch. What's the model?

Rather than relying on my poor photography skills i just downloaded images. Here are a few of my watches.

Certina_DS_Podium.jpgPhilipWatchPanama01.jpgTAG-CJ1111-BA057666.jpgwk1113-ba0311.jpg

Latest Purchase...Cant wait for it to arrive

145744.jpg

Well...she arrived today..opened in great anticipation

Then there she was about 25mm in size, far too small for me

I cant even read the numbers or the time and the date is even smaller

I know its my own fault and I assumed she was full size but there you go.

Back to Ebay with her...

Gutted

Ouch. :( Though I wear vintage stuff which tends to be small(and I have girlie wrists) 25mm is pretty tiny. That's a bummer.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭mydogjack

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTTea_ly1ThDadoC2VIiRhQVgl7aWtTKn3Puy8I4SUZ6zWhv7Wp&t=1My dora-esque watch;
    Note the diamond-green background, wrap-around strap and pleasantly elated Dora, always and I mean always, pleased to see you.

Ouch. :( Though I wear vintage stuff which tends to be small(and I have girlie wrists) 25mm is pretty tiny. That's a bummer.

Well, was in touch with the vendor, explained my problem and he is willing to accept it back with full refund

There are honest and honorable people in the world

Fair play to him

There are honest and honorable people in the world

Fair play to him
    Fair play indeed. It's always good to hear something like that. :) I'm no hippie who believes in karma, but among true collectors(of pretty much anything) you do tend to get that and it does tend to be repaid.

• Advertisement

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    That's a beautiful watch. What's the model?

Omega Speedmaster Professional model ref 3570.50

http://www.omegawatches.com/gents/speedmaster/professional/35705000

New in ;)

ccd197d3.jpg

a2828833.jpg

Noooice. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

:cool: Wow... enjoy. Its beautiful.

Very nice. Congrats.

Very nice, did you buy that in Wome?
    arts-graphics-2007_1182125a.jpg

Lovely clean dial on that Panerai.
    Wear it in good health!

Very nice, did you buy that in Wome?
    arts-graphics-2007_1182125a.jpg

nope, none in rome believe it or not! had to seek one pre owned in the UK :)

@CarltonBrowne what's the name of that tudor? its really nice

• Advertisement

It's known colloquially as a Tudor Snowflake and the case reference is 9411/0. It's a relatively cheap way of doing the vintage Rolex thing - say 90% of the quality at just less than half the money. Currently my favourite watch by a country mile :). Tudor don't sell direct in the UK or the US because apparently they are perceived as a poor mans Rolex in those markets. I see it completely differently as I prefer the path less well-trodden and have a love-hate thing about Mercedes hands. I have seen a couple of Tudors in Weirs recently though obviously this is a discontinued model and won't be available.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement