Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,891 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I just take one shot with my phone. And if you don't like it, you can fock off :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭Homer

cnocbui wrote: »

1957 Omega Automatic.

Great pic. Looks like Indiana Jones emptied his pockets onto the night stand

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

893bet wrote: »
    Been wearing this most of this week.

Had a go of that.. yummy

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭893bet

Had a go of that.. yummy

You ain’t the first man to feel my PP in a hotel car park and won’t be the last....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,766 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Homer wrote: »
    Great pic. Looks like Indiana Jones emptied his pockets onto the night stand

Thank you, that is a great compliment coming from someone who takes such excellent photos themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Thank you, that is a great compliment coming from someone who takes such excellent photos themselves.
    Said nobody to unkel ever:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I’ve been playing around with a macro lens on my watches, need more practice but interesting to see the fine details

4088-DF90-C465-4-A0-D-824-C-BAA7-C9-B242-C7.jpg

AD3-DB8-E7-CDAB-44-F5-A9-D2-6486-C973-F3-D8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Been raiding the drinks cupboard again.

528952.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭dakar

Another photo of the Nomos. Shot on my phone (just for Unkel!)

Part of the problem is that uploading at 800px wide (not sure if that's still a thing, I know it was the limit when I hung out on the photography forum) compresses the crap out of a lot of photos and loses detail. Most of the finishing of the small seconds hand disappeared on the last one I posted. So I shot this much the same way. LED light well back from the watch at the 11 positon, and a white card below the phone to bounce a bit of light back to fill the shadows.

I shot the full face, then cropped down to the bit I wanted til it was about 800px wide, to be able to upload full size here and still keep the detail. I tidied it up a bit with the Photoshop app on my phone, minor adjustments to contrast and clarity, and voilà!

528954.JPEG

DUkCns4b_o.jpg

7iWvlPrW_o.jpg

Oooo - did someone mention macro?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Mother of god, lovely JLC....I really need to up my photography game. Please please please more photos of the watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Just wearing this beater while doing some stuff around the house.

528978.jpg

w25JbmOt_o.jpg

0JZoLd9E_o.jpg

This is a pocket chronometer used in WW2 for aerial navigation.

I am sure this will sound like heresy, but I am not a fan of the aged antique look. I rather fancy having it restored to bright, shiny, clear new condition. Judging by the glass, checking with a geiger counter might be in order

SNIP[/IMG]

I am sure this will sound like heresy, but I am not a fan of the aged antique look. I rather fancy having it restored to bright, shiny, clear new condition. Judging by the glass, checking with a geiger counter might be in order

Imagine that all those components were cast and hand finished with basic tools. No cad, no cam, just mechanical lathes and turning machines. You can see the texture of the casting investment mould in the gold. JLC is totally underrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,529 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

[]

That is absolutely gorgeous! Does seem like a shame to restore it as it's currently in great condition and the patina is lovely. Especially the lume on the hands.

I'd say you'd get quite a few ticks from a Geiger counter alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

That would be like french-polishing an original Georgian mahogany table.

I dont find the whole patina thing as cut and dried. With classic cars usually a restoration makes it look factory fresh, and while those cars that are on factory paint are prized, a fully restored one is almost as good. There is a subset of "totally original, barn find" cars with rust and crap paint that some people are into, but in general people want them shiny.

With watches its almost a crime to return a watch for factory finish, and patina is prized as its totally individual to the watch, but mostly its dials and hands people are interested in. If the rest of the watch was repolished and finished, and the movement overhauled I doubt it would loose anything, replacement crystals are not so bad either. Its hard for a watch that old to be totally original anyway.

I have some georgian silver - think I should stop polishing that? The old Omega I posted some pages back has so much 'patina' and character it no longer works. I'd rather it looked as the maker intended. Same for cars.

In 30-40 years time will watches from 2010 be in such demand and command a huge premium?

I don’t think so. I think there will be very few “rare” watches in the future, or perhaps the ones that will be rare are probably the ones we are not thinking of now. For all the Current popular watches there will be a **** load of them around and lots of full sets. They will ages much better and in general look newer and not vintage like (could be a good thing or a bad thing for demand actually) due to more modern materials (ceramic bezels, superluminova, solid bracelets etc).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Oh it's most certainly radium lume under there C. The glass is likely original an acrylic that discolours over time lume or not. That's handy enough to replace. You could get the radium removed and replaced with modern lume, maybe tinted to get that vintage look, though radium lume would have been originally white or cream for the most part(though lime green was another colour too). The case is plated brass and I've never seen a decent replating job that didn't look like obvious and not great. The new stuff is too shiny. To be fair your example has little enough wear, they're usually much worse.

As for its original military purpose: On the back chances are you'll see a broadarrow stamp(UK military issue) a serial number and GS/TP which stands for General Service Temporary(or Trade) Pattern. That is watches that were bought "off the shelf" rather than as a direct military contract to ramp up supply in preparation for war. Usually issued to army personnel like artillery types, though navy and air force also received them(I dunno if they would have been used officially for navigation though?). There were a few brands in the mix but JLC are the pick of the bunch IMHO.
    Fitz II wrote: »
    Imagine that all those components were cast and hand finished with basic tools. No cad, no cam, just mechanical lathes and turning machines. You can see the texture of the casting investment mould in the gold. JLC is totally underrated.
    +1 JLC were a very good maker indeed and were considered so back in the day. The watchmaker's watch was one accolade as it was a fave of watchmakers because of how well and simple and sturdy they were. They also did well at the annual chronometer trials in the 20th century. Very nice indeed.
    They will ages much better and in general look newer and not vintage like (could be a good thing or a bad thing for demand actually) due to more modern materials (ceramic bezels, superluminova, solid bracelets etc).
    And will likely be worn less too. Most men in the past had one "good watch" that was their daily wearer throughout their lifetime, there were far fewer "safe queens".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

dakar wrote: »
    Another photo of the Nomos. Shot on my phone (just for Unkel!)

Part of the problem is that uploading at 800px wide (not sure if that's still a thing, I know it was the limit when I hung out on the photography forum) compresses the crap out of a lot of photos and loses detail. Most of the finishing of the small seconds hand disappeared on the last one I posted. So I shot this much the same way. LED light well back from the watch at the 11 positon, and a white card below the phone to bounce a bit of light back to fill the shadows.

I shot the full face, then cropped down to the bit I wanted til it was about 800px wide, to be able to upload full size here and still keep the detail. I tidied it up a bit with the Photoshop app on my phone, minor adjustments to contrast and clarity, and voilà!

That's a beaut, D!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

In 30-40 years time will watches from 2010 be in such demand and command a huge premium?

I don’t think so. I think there will be very few “rare” watches in the future, or perhaps the ones that will be rare are probably the ones we are not thinking of now. For all the Current popular watches there will be a **** load of them around and lots of full sets. They will ages much better and in general look newer and not vintage like (could be a good thing or a bad thing for demand actually) due to more modern materials (ceramic bezels, superluminova, solid bracelets etc).

We just don't know. Take this one for example, did Col. Pogue know what he was starting when he sneaked this on board to time engine burns in the early 1970s? I think it took 20 years before it was spotted. https://www.dreamchrono.com/2013/11/seiko-6139-pogue/

Sunday, Seiko and a Salami salad sandwich:pac:

528980.jpg

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

hplNUWtd_o.jpgsauvCot2_o.jpg

aiZmoJW0_o.jpg
    Wibbs wrote: »
    As for its original military purpose: On the back chances are you'll see a broadarrow stamp(UK military issue) a serial number and GS/TP which stands for General Service Temporary(or Trade) Pattern. That is watches that were bought "off the shelf" rather than as a direct military contract to ramp up supply in preparation for war. Usually issued to army personnel like artillery types, though navy and air force also received them(I dunno if they would have been used officially for navigation though?). There were a few brands in the mix but JLC are the pick of the bunch IMHO.

As you can see, there also seems to be a broadarrow imprinted on the inside of the case by the maker, so I'm not convinced it's off the shelf. I think it more likely they were provisioned under specific contract.

My father was Fleet Air Arm. Since he told me he got it for aerial navigation and used it thus, I think you can take that for fact. ;)

The chrome looks OK from the front. but has essentially been completely worn away on the waist.

You might be interested in the re-chroming this guy does:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭dakar

OldBean wrote: »
    That's a beaut, D!

Thanks. I’m very pleased with it.

I’m doing that thing where every time I get something a little nicer, I convince myself (and Mrs D) that this one finally is a *proper* watch, and that’s it now. Done buying more watches. Completely. Except maybe for...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

As you can see, there also seems to be a broadarrow imprinted on the inside of the case by the maker, so I'm not convinced it's off the shelf. I think it more likely they were provisioned under specific contract.
    IIRC it was a contract but not the usual one, more rushed as it were and the brief was less specific than was usual as they were in a mad rush to tool up for war. It couldn't be a more issued watch though.
    My father was Fleet Air Arm. Since he told me he got it for aerial navigation and used it thus, I think you can take that for fact. ;)
    That kinda seals it alright C. :D Interesting too as the literature and campfire talk on these is that they were for general military mostly army and when other branches are mentioned it's claimed they had different markings specific to the branch and clearly yours doesn't and clearly it was officially issued to your dad for a specific purpose. Your story adds to the knowledge on such things which is brilliant. :)
    The chrome looks OK from the front. but has essentially been completely worn away on the waist.

You might be interested in the re-chroming this guy does:
    Oh it defo looks better than when it started out. :eek: Though even with the best will in the world the process loses detail on edges and the like and your rear stampings would be hard to keep as clean and crisp as they are.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

For the Faaaall season... or rather my rotation this week have been these three.

529001.jpg
    1943, 1916 and 1974. Daycent spread of years. :) The Wagner on the left is running truest to time, pretty much bang on. The Omega quartz needs tweaking as it loses ten odd seconds per month, but the trimmer adjustment is finicky, a gee hair one way or the other can mean OK, or ahh jaysus now there's 25 hours in a day. :D

New to me this evening, bit of a spur of the moment purchase as I wasn’t particularly looking for this but it’s my first Rolex and I don’t have a dress watch in my collection

6-F24-E5-A4-6-BA2-41-BF-9406-183-C747-F0-F50.jpg

Nice....was that the OP on adverts. Love the dial colour and the little blue accents.

scwazrh wrote: »
    New to me this evening, bit of a spur of the moment purchase as I wasn’t particularly looking for this but it’s my first Rolex and I don’t have a dress watch in my collection

[url=https:/-F50.jpg[/img][/url]

Lovely. I had that model and sold it! Tried to buy it back two weeks ago even but buyer is holding on to it!

I wouldn’t consider that a dress watch! Fairly versatile watch!

• Advertisement

Fitz II wrote: »
    Nice....was that the OP on adverts. Love the dial colour and the little blue accents.

Yes , my 3rd watch from him , nice guy .
    The dial and the blue is what caught me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement