Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Its a Royal Oak day today

20201008-105653.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 64,891 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    Rocking the Mark II on a classic leather strap acquired through the generosity of this parish.[/IMG]

Is that a Martu strap?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

unkel wrote: »
    Is that a Martu strap?

No, it is a Geckota vintage leather.

Works well, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,513 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Fitz II wrote: »

I love it, its not a watch you see often in the wild and it really is a gem.
    I don't think I've ever seen one outside a jewellers TBH.
    There was a jeweller years ago in the Crescent in Limerick that used to carry a Barrichello but it surely couldn't have been an actual AP?

My memory is probably faulty on that, so don't hold me to it but they just seem to be stuck in my head as having a few F1 driver endorsed watches there in late nineties, early noughties

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Nice one Fitz, can you zoom in a bit closer next time, I bet that waffle dial deserves it.:)

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

blue5000 wrote: »
    Nice one Fitz, can you zoom in a bit closer next time, I bet that waffle dial deserves it.:)

Sorry should have cleaned the watch first, amazing all the little scuzzers you get on em.
    IMG-8003.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Beautiful watch, you have a really nice collection including some of my dream watches.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

The rich man's Casioak!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Hardly comparable with the monster in the background, but I stuck the Legend Diver on the rubber strap yesterday :)

528673.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Hardly comparable with the monster in the background, but I stuck the Legend Diver on the rubber strap yesterday :)

Love it, that's my grail watch

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

This arrived earlier, got it for £100 on eBay - It's an Era Odyssey (simulated tourbillion kickstarter watch). Totally different to my normal chronographs, think it's quite smart!

Am pleased with it so far, brand new, boxed and unworn, also came with a stainless steel magnetic strap.

IMG-20201008-173847-01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Sorry should have cleaned the watch first, amazing all the little scuzzers you get on em.
    snip

Today is the 8th

Vestiapx wrote: »
    Today is the 8th

Not on the 9th of last month when I took the photo...you are too used to snapchat. Also I posted at 13:13 but the watch says 10:38....what is this voodoo :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Or you’re a time traveller and fund your lovely watch purchases by basically winning the euro millions every week. I’m on to you :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Defo not snapchat, you didn't shave your wrists... :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Blanchy90 wrote: »
    Love it, that's my grail watch

If it's any use to you, Hour Passion in Kildare Village had one a couple weeks ago for about 1300, which is a decent price imo. Edit: brand new decent price

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

If it's any use to you, Hour Passion in Kildare Village had one a couple weeks ago for about 1300, which is a decent price imo. Edit: brand new decent price

That's a great price, I'd say it'll be a few yeas (at least) before I can spend that kind of money on a watch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭dakar

My latest arrival from the 'watches for sale' thread courtesy of CosmicJay, a lovely Nomos Orion 38 Datum.

It's a lot daintier than my G Shock and Samurai dailies, an elegant slim little thing with a beautiful movement. The finishing on the movement and dial is lovely, I'm really starting to see how the quality improves as you move up the chain.

I love how this forum is slowly costing me more and more money as I begin to appreciate these things. Also how admiring the JLC's and ALS's and AP's manage to make spending a grand on a watch (which I wouldn't have really considered a couple of years ago) seem a pittance in comparison!

I might look into getting the case polished, macro photography and hard lighting makes the tiny scratches, particularly on the case back, appear much more severe, they're barely visible at all in real life.

528795.JPEG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

That's very very classy. Thanks for sharing. Love having the date at the 6 position. Nice typeface on the date too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,707 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

dakar wrote: »
    My latest arrival from the 'watches for sale' thread courtesy of CosmicJay, a lovely Nomos Orion 38 Datum.

It's a lot daintier than my G Shock and Samurai dailies, an elegant slim little thing with a beautiful movement. The finishing on the movement and dial is lovely, I'm really starting to see how the quality improves as you move up the chain.

I love how this forum is slowly costing me more and more money as I begin to appreciate these things. Also how admiring the JLC's and ALS's and AP's manage to make spending a grand on a watch (which I wouldn't have really considered a couple of years ago) seem a pittance in comparison!

I might look into getting the case polished, macro photography and hard lighting makes the tiny scratches, particularly on the case back, appear much more severe, they're barely visible at all in real life.

That’s a beauty

Well wear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭893bet

Lovely. I would probably have bought it if you hadn’t.

Not sure on the gold indicies? What do you think of them as a fresh pair of eyes on the watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭dakar

893bet wrote: »
    Lovely. I would probably have bought it if you hadn’t.

Not sure on the gold indicies? What do you think of them as a fresh pair of eyes on the watch?

If I were buying new, I think I'd have gone for the Orion 38 Date White. My taste in general would run to the simple and minimal.

But I really liked the blued hands and I figured I could live with the gold indices, and worse come to the worst, I'd probably be able to flip it handy enough. I did watch a few reviews and liked what I saw.

What has surprised me is the warmth of the silver plating on the dial. I can't figure out if this is an inherent property of the material, or is partly an illusion aided by the little flashes of gold off the faceted indices, but it really works well. It adds a little luxury, I can't help feeling the white version might feel a little sterile in comparison now. Either way, having owned the watch for about 12 hours, I'm happy.

Dakar, if there are fine scratches in the case just try a Cape Cod cloth on it, usually comes right up. All polished cases are easy to fix...its where there is a mix of polished and brushed that there is a issue. Lovely watch BTW.

Been wearing this most of this week.

D4-E2-CE97-1-AFD-46-DF-A9-EA-81-A25077-A3-B4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,768 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

ENYnJFwV_o.jpg

1957 Omega Automatic.

Nice great photo, We really need to start a thread on how to take a decent photos of a watch, I find it really hard.

Nice great photo, We really need to start a thread on how to take a decent photos of a watch, I find it really hard.

Haha. I actually thought you were talking about my picture. The the picture below mine was so good I thought it was an advert and skipped passed it first!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Good idea. There are obviously a couple of experts here who could share a few tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,768 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Thanks. I used a camera with a manual lens on it with a focal length equivalent to 100mm and an aperture of around f4. The flying helmet I placed on a black card on a windowsil facing the setting sun - the window being to the top of the frame. I then had a sheet of white polystyrene at the bottom of the frame, standing vertically to reflect some light back from the other direction to fill in the shadows a bit and more evenly light the watch face. I was leaning over the ps sheet and holding it with my forearms while looking through the viewfinder and focusing.

I underexposed by about one f stop so as not to blow out the dial and lose details in it. This resulted in a rather dark image thus:

M8TbbAdj_o.jpg

I used photoshop on that image to crop the top and bottom a bit and then adjusted the exposure to bring up detail in the shadows while adjusting the Green and blue channel shadows to try and keep the gold looking like gold.

I probably could have done a better job if I had spent more time shopping the curves.

The props like the helmet, Dunhill lighter and half soverign I used to try and get a period appropriate feel with colours that complimented the strap and case.

A longer focal length like that, reduces geometric distortions and gives a more natural look in terms of perspective than the wide angles you find on phones. At that aperture the medium tele focal length provides enough depth of field to keep the subject in focus, while being shallow enough to subtly blur to to the back, thus emphasising the main subject.

It has become common to call that bokeh, but it's incorrect. It's blur - bokeh is a Japanese word that originally referenced the 'qualities' of the blur.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

I just take lots of photos and pick the best. :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement