Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,837 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

shano76 wrote: »
    Hi All, first piece I've posted here. Been meaning to do so for ages but haven't got around to it until now. (Not sure how to embed a photo so hopefully the attachment works!)

I wanted to start with this one as it's probably one of the only watches I have that has a bit of sentimental value attached. It's a Certina Vainqueur which my Grandfather gave to my Dad when my Dad first left home & moved to Dublin to work & study in 1957.

It was worn daily as his one & only watch until around 1996 when it was replaced with a (far inferior) watch that I bought him, knowing nothing about watches at the time. It was consigned to a drawer at that point & sat there until a couple of years ago, when he realised he'd never wear it again & gave it to me.

I have no idea if/when it was last serviced (possibly never!!) but it's keeping remarkably good time considering it's 63 years old! It has a beautiful patina on the dial & plenty of war wounds on the crystal, while the case is scratched & pitted telling the tales of a life of wear & tear.

I wear it sparingly to make sure I appreciate the time with it on my wrist, but each time I look at it, I'm reminded of looking in wonder as a child at that small seconds hand & those concentric circles in the subdial as it sat on my Dad's wrist.

that's beautiful and a lovely heirloom to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Fitz II

kostal2093 wrote: »
    For example the 1815 shown here a few days ago is a far superior watch in my opinion. At the end of the day, it is all about choices.

I would love to see your choices in your own collection, generally people with the balls to critique other peoples heavy hitters are hiding away some tasty pieces themselves, well that or they are hurlers on the ditch, but lets assume the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,027 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Aye. Was thinking same. Off to the SOTC thread with you kostal2093. Let us enjoy!

Got a new watch for missus Fitz (I got into trouble for selling one of mine she liked to wear). This is the entire big watch thing on women, hell lady gaga advertises these in the ladies mags. 39mm Tudor Black Bay 58 the new blue one, got it unworn for a decent discount. Faux rivets are not as irritating as I thought. I had a Tudor before and they are a very solid watch, this BB 58 is a nice size at 39m and much slimmer than the heritage heightwise, which is a bit of a thick one for my tastes. All in all a very nice diver, comfortable, and great value. I think it really is the defacto "discount diver" if any watch at this level can be seen as a discount watch. She seems happy, which is good, browny points earned. (BTW this is my Arm, Mrs. FitzII is not a sasquatch)

20201005-183246.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭893bet

kostal2093 wrote: »

A nice watch and well wear, but personally I do not like date indications at 4pm position - for me, it is either 3 or 6 position or none at all. Also, the 'greyness' would not exactly want me to look at the watch too frequently as it is a little 'lifeless' . It also looks big on the wrist, but maybe that is just the camera angle - I assume it is 42/42.5mm? Are VC still manufacturing this variant or has it been discontinued/replaced by the chronograph version? While I appreciate VC are part of the 'Holy Trinity' of watchmaking, I see them well behind PP & AP - indeed I would rate AL&S well ahead. For example the 1815 shown here a few days ago is a far superior watch in my opinion. At the end of the day, it is all about choices, but this one would certainly not be on my list. It is a solid investment though more especially when you like it.

I need to handle this watch to make an assessment. I would have bought it had Cyrus not beaten me to the march when it popped up. Second hand these are great value in comparison to the current version.

Don’t think that’s a like for like comparison between an 1815 and this Overseas.

I also see VC > AP. AP only have one watch, the Royal Oak, which is lovely but they have little else in the arsenal. In horological terms they are both behemoths.
    Cyrus wrote: »

Its 42mm but wears quite small actually and its relatively thin at 12.5mm or so, its the unfortunate angle you get when you take your own wrist shots!

What ref number is this Cyrus? I thought it was a 47040? Is that a typo in the thickness? Thought these were around 10mm which is a big difference from 12.5mm

please let us see your collection, as you can see everyone here is very open.

• Advertisement

AP do have some sweet Code 1158's and concepts. But it is correct to say they only have one popular watch the RO that they then beefed up to the offshore. But you could say the same for VC, the overseas is the most popular by far. People just want the sports look at the moment. Patek the same, the natullus and the aquanaught. Basically people want Gerald Genta design and nothing else, Genta is the entire holy trinity of popularity, Father, son and the holy ghost.I know the overseas is not directly done by him but Heysek defo took some inspiration from the GG winning formula.

Screenshot-2020-10-05-204517.jpg

I dont know that the classic trinity of VC, AP and PP holds up these days, with FPJ and ALS and all the other high horology brands. All I know is that they all have watches I would cut a ball off for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭scwazrh

wearing the VC this week, of the 3 recent arrivals i think this is my favourite, very slim and wears very nicely.

That is an absolutely stunning watch Cyrus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

I love that overseas Cyrus. I think the overseas is probably just about my favourite of the holy trinity Genta/Genta inspired stuff, although I love the aquanaut too. I can't really make it out from your photo, but I really love the look of the bracelet on it. Any chance of a pic of that ?

Speaking of Gentaesque stuff, what's peoples opinions of the Girard Peregeaux Laureato? Its a brand no one ever really talks about but I like a lot of their stuff. In saying that, I've never actually held one in the hand.

893bet wrote: »
    I need to handle this watch to make an assessment. I would have bought it had Cyrus not beaten me to the march when it popped up. Second hand these are great value in comparison to the current version.

Don’t think that’s a like for like comparison between an 1815 and this Overseas.

I also see VC > AP. AP only have one watch, the Royal Oak, which is lovely but they have little else in the arsenal. In horological terms they are both behemoths.

What ref number is this Cyrus? I thought it was a 47040? Is that a typo in the thickness? Thought these were around 10mm which is a big difference from 12.5mm

Sorry you are correct it’s a 47040 so just under 10 , the 12.5 is the chrono ! I was thinking it seem pretty svelte for 12 :D

Welcome to try it if you are up any time , but bring the als ;)

redlead wrote: »
    I love that overseas Cyrus. I think the overseas is probably just about my favourite of the holy trinity Genta/Genta inspired stuff, although I love the aquanaut too. I can't really make it out from your photo, but I really love the look of the bracelet on it. Any chance of a pic of that ?

Speaking of Gentaesque stuff, what's peoples opinions of the Girard Peregeaux Laureato? Its a brand no one ever really talks about but I like a lot of their stuff. In saying that, I've never actually held one in the hand.

Thanks better view of the bracelet here , it is lovely and makes the watch ,

TuQ51BS.jpg

I’ve always been drawn to the laureto aswell but I do like a genta esque design , ditto the iwc 3227 , never handled a gp though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

Thats class. The links on the bracelet kind of match the Vacheron cross. I love that.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

Boredom late night buy from eBay

SKX173 with the dial turned, but in the sellers photo's it showed the second hand in a different place on the dial so I assumed the movement was running. Seller wanted $140 and I made an offer of $100, at that price I figured it was a safe buy.

Never seen a Seamaster style bracelet for an SKX, not something I will wear but it cleaned up okay so if I ever seller the watch it will go with it.

jlaK9Gel.jpg

Really manky dirty watch, owner got his monies worth from it. Needed a real good scrubbing after I stripped it down.

Co0XMbel.jpg

Turns out the legs were broken on the dial so I just used a little double sided sticky tape and replaced the crystal. Alignment is about half a tick out, but hey if Seiko can ship them like that I can't complain about my work.

For now it will just be a beater on some zulu straps. Overall it's not a bad watch, bezel insert looks much worse in the photo.

ALVC1V8l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

the sun's out so time to wear my Seiko SARB 017 Alpinist.

528455.JPG

2 minutes after this photo (bike locked to railing not shown)

fetchimage?siteId=7575&v=2&jpgQuality=100&width=700&url=https%3A%2F%2Fi.kym-cdn.com%2Fentries%2Ficons%2Ffacebook%2F000%2F023%2F946%2Flemon.jpg

following Hitemfrank's lead this week and rocking the Milgauss

20201006-174451.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I've barely taken mine off since I got it. It's a pain in the hole trying to get pictures of it - it's so fecking reflective

hitemfrank wrote: »
    I've barely taken mine off since I got it. It's a pain in the hole trying to get pictures of it - it's so fecking reflective

Totally, it can look quite plain straight on, I like when you catch the side of the GV crystal. You have to wear to arse off it, its your civic duty.

On a side note, when I was in the wilderness away from boards, I saw this pop up on adverts and had to have it, amazing coincidence. Proper mechaquartz too with sweeping seconds, even has lume on the hands. Dont know if its a proper dealer version, is stickered properly, I suspect not at the 70 euro I paid for it. But fun none the less. What are the odds????

Screenshot-2020-10-06-211407.png

Fitz II wrote: »
    On a side note, when I was in the wilderness away from boards, I saw this pop up on adverts and had to have it, amazing coincidence. Proper mechaquartz too with sweeping seconds, even has lume on the hands. Dont know if its a proper dealer version, is stickered properly, I suspect not at the 70 euro I paid for it.

They're Chinese clones. I've had my finger on the trigger for one of them a few times myself :D

Very surprised at you buying a fake though!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

The SKX173 barely lasted 24 hours before it's heading out the door to raise funds towards a different project. I picked up a bunch of SKX011 parts and over the next couple of weeks I will put them in a black dlc coated SKX case. A black/orange mod how fitting for this time of year.

tY41qwE.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Totally, it can look quite plain straight on, I like when you catch the side of the GV crystal. You have to wear to arse off it, its your civic duty.

On a side note, when I was in the wilderness away from boards, I saw this pop up on adverts and had to have it, amazing coincidence. Proper mechaquartz too with sweeping seconds, even has lume on the hands. Dont know if its a proper dealer version, is stickered properly, I suspect not at the 70 euro I paid for it. But fun none the less. What are the odds????

They're fake. Like fake watches, Wish have cheap ones but you can get better off actually dealers who source them.
    I wanted a stop2go one with the delayed second hand, they don't make them. Yet. Dealer said they were looking at doing them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

Cienciano wrote: »
    They're fake. Like fake watches, Wish have cheap ones but you can get better off actually dealers who source them.
    I wanted a stop2go one with the delayed second hand, they don't make them. Yet. Dealer said they were looking at doing them

I seen a lovely Tag Heuer Carrera one, I was looking for a link but i couldn't find one. Might have gone for the link :)

I think the panerai ones actually look really good as a clock

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

Fake clocks are for fake people 😂

shutup wrote: »
    Fake clocks are for fake people ��

That clock with that dial doesnt exist as a real dealer clock one so my options are limited although if you can find one for me I will gladly buy it and ditch this one, and I do own the real €25k watch so I think I get a pass and dont fall into the fake rolex wearing douchebag category, only the real Rolex wearing douchebag category who is sad enough to want a matching wall clock. Dont go around wearing it either, slightly too big for my wrist. Great to see you back BTW, hope life is treating you well and all your hopes and dreams are coming true.

Great to see you back BTW, hope life is treating you well and all your hopes and dreams are coming true.

:p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I got a birthday present of a "Rolex" wall clock back in the 80's. "Well you're into watches aren't you?" :) Only this one was the full deal. bracelet and all. :eek: :D It hung by the buckle, all two tone "gold" and "steel" made from the finest plastic. It looked like a used car salesman's wet dream, or nightmare. :D Funny enough it kept really good time. Like a couple of seconds a month. The placcy tacky gods must have been having a good day when it was made.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Christ lads, wear what you like, live and let live. Everyone likes different time telling devices. If we're going to list who we think is a "douchbag" based on the watch they wear, we'll have a long list!

Christ lads, wear what you like, live and let live. Everyone likes different time telling devices. If we're going to list who we think is a "douchbag" based on the watch they wear, we'll have a long list!

I will just point out again that I dont wear this wallclock, because its a wall clock.:p. I dont drive around in my model cars either. Cycling tourist tried to invade Poland with his model tanks once and it didnt go well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Christ lads, wear what you like, live and let live.

I'll drink to that.

528519.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭This is it

Bit early for that! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement