Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,985 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

What was it originally Eoin?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭This is it

I should really just Google, but, can you order a set of components and fire a watch together yourself? Something with instructions preferably so someone who has never even opened a watch could give it a go?

Edit, best bet seems to be buy a few cheap watches and have at it. See if they can be out back?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭banie01

This is it wrote: »
    I should really just Google, but, can you order a set of components and fire a watch together yourself? Something with instructions preferably so someone who has never even opened a watch could give it a go?

Edit, best bet seems to be buy a few cheap watches and have at it. See if they can be out back?

You certainly can.
    I have a case and a few movements I'm playing around with here at the moment.
    It's all on hold until I get a decent loupe headset delivered tho.

The sheer detail work needed in some instances is staggering.
    My eyes are dealing with the onset of retinopathy so for fine work they need all the help they can get :pac:

I'm trying to fit a datewheel to a 2824 mvmt at the mo, it's apparently simple.
    Whatever knack there is to doing it from the front is just not clicking for me at the moment.

Cheap watches, good optics and tools and lots of patience will get one comfortable at case swapping and dial swapping.

Servicing and overhaul is from the work I've seen being done.
    A whole different ballgame and skillset.

I'm still amazed at the fact that factories can churn out movements at such a volume that all require a high level of precision and detail, even the shítty Chinese 2813s and so on...
    Yeah they have a 10% reject rate which is huge, but they are churning them out and making profit along the chain to a sale at $25!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

redlead wrote: »
    It's a complete bastardisation of watch making and I love it! You have a dive bezel, a strap from a fieldwatch, a Milgaus style second hand and a dressy dial. Great stuff! The ultimate one watch does all haha

Yep, I was not concerned at all with it making sense or being actually useful for any particular task! I just liked the combo and wanted something different.

I'd say it's a bit Marmite, only I think more people might like Marmite.

An SKX009.
    This is it wrote: »

Yep - a few options are an Aviator using a Unitas handwinder (or Seagull clone), something using a Miyota 8215, or get your hands on an old Seiko.

Vostoks can be modded a little bit, but there aren't a ton of options. Invicta also make a sub homage that apparently can use Seiko parts, but I wasn't really bothered with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Eoin wrote: »
    Well.... the bezel pip fell off, the hands are wonky (and I knocked some lume out of the hour hand), the bezel doesn't turn too well AND the crown stem needs a bit more trimming.

That big list of mistakes aside, it was quite satisfying to (kinda) finish this
    Savage, if I get that far without setting it on fire I'll be happy :D

How did you find the crystal swap? Any issues with gasket pinch and level seating? What press did you go for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

david wrote: »
    How did you find the crystal swap? Any issues with gasket pinch and level seating? What press did you go for?

Utter pain in the bum. I think the gasket is OK, but I am not sure the crystal went in as far as it should or is entirely even, but honestly I was a bit fed up at that stage. Could be why the bezel isn't moving freely. Safe to say I've not a lot of confidence in the WR. I got a press off eBay which was not worth the money, not sure it even has a brand name on the box!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,985 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

513466.jpg

Wearing this, this week. Yes it does suffer from some horrible over branding but it's made me appreciate this style of watch. So much so that somewhere down the line I might pick-up a Steinhart.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

A watch..!

(I'll get me coat)

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

[IMG][/IMG]

Wearing this, this week. Yes it does suffer from some horrible over branding but it's made me appreciate this style of watch. So much so that somewhere down the line I might pick-up a Steinhart.

You could have waited until 5 minutes to 1:pac: to take the pic.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invicta_Watch_Group

A casualty of the quartz crisis unfortunately - 1837 - that's some pedigree actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Blub123

A side step :o Not selling any Rolex they are all keepers (at the moment). The Tudor is excellent quality and Value, a Champagne watch for Prosecco money. although I would not buy one new they loose money. I am very impressed with it.

Ive the same model, its an excellent bit of kit. Ive always thought my ultimate a Rolex Sub however my itch for one is not near what it was before I got my blackbay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Blub123 wrote: »
    Ive the same model, its an excellent bit of kit. Ive always thought my ultimate a Rolex Sub however my itch for one is not near what it was before I got my blackbay.

Its a good watch alright, but it lacks something compared to a submariner, hard to put my finger on it, maybe its the case size?

I have already traded mine (it was never intended as a watch for the collection). I got it at a good price, and its a popular watch, so I used it as a trade in on a less popular watch (its always easier push price if you have two ends to push on). If anyone can guess whats next they get a prize, I have wanted one of these for a long time and its somewhat out of character (thats right :rolleyes: its not a assholes watch :D).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭micks_address

Its a good watch alright, but it lacks something compared to a submariner, hard to put my finger on it, maybe its the case size?

I have already traded mine (it was never intended as a watch for the collection). I got it at a good price, and its a popular watch, so I used it as a trade in on a less popular watch (its always easier push price if you have two ends to push on). If anyone can guess whats next they get a prize, I have wanted one of these for a long time and its somewhat out of character (thats right :rolleyes: its not a assholes watch :D).
    Aw come on...why the Tudor hate :) you should buy a much cheaper alternative

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭A+-Guru

tend to agree with Fitzgeme, I had a Black Bay ETA for while but I felt like it did lack something compared to the Sub so sold it and put the money towards a Sub.

A+-Guru wrote: »
    tend to agree with Fitzgeme, I had a Black Bay ETA for while but I felt like it did lack something compared to the Sub so sold it and put the money towards a Sub.

As I had a sub in my collection, it was a totally pointless watch, there would be no reason to wear it except to match colour with my socks or something god awful like that. I cannot fault the quality, flawless. But is lacks a little subtlety and refinement of design. Its a competitor with a Seamaster really at a much better price-point.

Also watch out for that depreciation, I bought it for 2100 euro a basically brand new watch, box, papers, receipt, weirs bag and all. If you bought it as a holding watch, you might set yourself back a few grand.

As I said I purchased it purely to flip the good deal onto another watch, I think its a lovely watch, great quality and my flip should not be taken as any slight on the watch. Tudor is a fine brand with a lot of history.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I bought it for 2100 euro a basically brand new watch, box, papers, receipt, weirs bag and all. If

Can you share where you get such good deals from

scwazrh wrote: »
    Can you share where you get such good deals from

Adverts.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Adverts.ie

All I seem to find is overpriced stuff . The Tudor you mentioned is near half retail price

• Registered Users Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭micks_address

All I seem to find is overpriced stuff . The Tudor you mentioned is near half retail price

My Tudor is up there at half price

http://www.adverts.ie/20393634

• Registered Users Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭Jude13

That's a lovely watch and good price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,219 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Plenty of bargains on adverts.ie and remember those asking prices are before negotiations.

I've bought loads of bargains from adverts myself (and boards itself before that existed) over the last 20 years or so, but unfortunately I have had to sell plenty of stuff at bargain basement prices there too :p

Better not be my grail watch....Zenith El Primero Chrono - Christ Id love one

Better not be my grail watch....Zenith El Primero Chrono - Christ Id love one

Which one do you like of the El Primero range...the modern one or the older ones. Zenith can be hit and miss from drop dead gorgeous to abominations...

No not a Zenith for me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭Ryath

Postman arrived with this earlier! New beater, doesn't really show up in photos' but the surround is a lovely metallic blue that really catches the light. Think I may get a watchbox drawer is becoming a bit full!

513606.jpg

Which one do you like of the El Primero range...the modern one or the older ones. Zenith can be hit and miss from drop dead gorgeous to abominations...

No not a Zenith for me

This.. Would trade my left nut

This.. Would trade my left nut

To be fair, you are not far off, that is a lovely Zenith.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,943 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Thats rolex and breitling and probably tag out,

Cartier or IWC??

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

I feel like a JLC of some sort would be your kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,943 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Time wrote: »
    I feel like a JLC of some sort would be your kind of thing.

ahhh JLC, good shout.

• Advertisement

Ryath wrote: »
    Postman arrived with this earlier!
    Congrats, very good value for a square with the 3461 module.

I thought about grabbing one of those and doing a positive polarizer mod but I took a pass on it, i've a few mods waiting to be done as is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement