Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭pjdarcy

oxocube wrote: »
    Are you sure this is not an SKX011? Have the same watch at home if it is :)

Yep, just a typo on my part. Well spotted

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Bren_C

Tried one of these on about two years ago, really liked it but didn't have the cash, had a but of luck coming Heathrow in the last few weeks and finally picked one up for myself...

501844.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

That’s lovely, what’s the model number?

I’m getting more drawn to Rolex’s despite 12 months ago not “getting” them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,490 ✭✭✭✭banie01

This is gaining more and more time on my wrist lately.
    It's converting me to weird shapes and it's a GMT!
    I don't know why, probably years of doing US timed tasks ;) but a GMT is by far my favourite complication.

Come the arrival of my V3 Bund Homage this week it may well be relegated soon tho.

Wonder when UL are going to take down their panto advertising?! :D

501845.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Bren_C

VW 1 wrote: »
    That’s lovely, what’s the model number?

I’m getting more drawn to Rolex’s despite 12 months ago not “getting” them at all.

It's 116900, the Air-King

• Advertisement

Bren_C wrote: »
    Tried one of these on about two years ago, really liked it but didn't have the cash, had a but of luck coming Heathrow in the last few weeks and finally picked one up for myself...

There is a quirkiness to the AirKing that I do like.
    The colour contrast of the Coronet on the dial always makes me want a 2nd look.

banie01 wrote: »
    This is gaining more and more time on my wrist lately.
    It's converting me to weird shapes and it's a GMT!
    I don't know why, probably years of doing US timed tasks ;) but a GMT is by far my favourite complication.

Come the arrival of my V3 Bund Homage this week it may well be relegated soon tho.

Wonder when UL are going to take down their panto advertising?! :D

Wow, that's gorgeous. I've never looked at Bell & Ross before. Time to explore their catalog methinks

pjdarcy wrote: »
    Wow, that's gorgeous. I've never looked at Bell & Ross before. Time to explore their catalog methinks

It's little things like the hands having contrasting finish on either side, 1 half Matt, the other high sheen, the raised 5 minute indices and the overall finish of those and the 3,6,9,12.
    The photo doesn't do the finish of the watch any justice TBH.

On the wrist it just picks up light across the dial in a really nice manner, very happy with it and glad I went for "square".

Oris Aquis Titanium

IMG_20200205_101955.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Picked up this accutron 218, a birth year watch and an accutron were on my list, I managed to get both in this. Its also a dress watch which I don't have too many off, another simple three hander. I can't get over the hum, I put it on an oscilloscope just to visualize it,359.94 hertz.

Anyway the plan now is to send to a chap called Rob Berkavicius , an aussie in thailand who services accutrons. Wibbs had posted here about a guy in Bulgaria who does service and sales. Watch seems ok, lume on the hands is defunct and there is some staining on the dial, water ingress maybe. Its running slow, 30 Secs per day.

The watch also came with a service receipt from Croydon watch centre, £58 in 1992, added to the bottom is a handwritten note that the watch is a collectors item.

Any recommendations on a decent leather strap, black or brown, ostrich or aligator maybe, I think its 18 mm.

501920.jpg
    501922.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I do love a hummer. :) I used to recommend https://electric-watches.co.uk/service-and-repair/ but sadly it seems he's stopped servicing most electric movements and now only doing the ESA 9162/64 hummers as fitted to Omega, Longines et al these days. Real pity as I have a LIP Nautic in need of a service. :(

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Wibbs wrote: »
    I do love a hummer. :)(

Dont we all https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hummer

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

njburke wrote: »
    Picked up this accutron 218, a birth year watch and an accutron were on my list, I managed to get both in this. Its also a dress watch which I don't have too many off, another simple three hander. I can't get over the hum, I put it on an oscilloscope just to visualize it,359.94 hertz.

Anyway the plan now is to send to a chap called Rob Berkavicius , an aussie in thailand who services accutrons. Wibbs had posted here about a guy in Bulgaria who does service and sales. Watch seems ok, lume on the hands is defunct and there is some staining on the dial, water ingress maybe. Its running slow, 30 Secs per day.

This post has made my work morning less productive than I was hoping. I watching a couple of Bulova Accutrons on eBay now.

Need to try research prices they have been selling for as I've no clue on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Ryath wrote: »
    It is a stunning watch.
    Few variations for it SBDC061(bracelet, black bezel), SBDC063(rubber, blue bezel) Japanese and the SPB0779 (bracelet, black bezel), SPB079 (rubber, blue bezel) for the international market. Prefer the blue bezel myself.

Some good pics here.
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f74/seiko-spb079-sbdc063-review-deep-dive-tribute-6159-a-4757145.html

There's also limited edition version that is very nice. SPB083J1

Was down to £734 in December!
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/PROSPEX-Special-Divers-Automatic-SPB083J1/dp/B07HQXJDKP/ref=sr_1_10?crid=2WRS450T9MGBY&keywords=seiko+prospex+divers+watch&qid=1580748662&sprefix=seiko+pr%2Caps%2C134&sr=8-10

would go well with my Jade one..

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Theres a world of information on accutrons out there, makes for great reading if you like to anorak a watch.
    A very interesting design, real innovation in the 1960s. How they made that index wheel (2 mm dia, 40 um thick, 10um depth on the teeth) in 1960s.
    Mybulova.com has catalogues and adverts for accutrons from the '60s. If its good enough for an X-15 test pilot its good enough for me. LBJ gave one to Kruschev, who in turn gave it to his crack team of reverse engineers and voila we have the Slava Transistor watch line.

There is a retired watchmaker who has a video on youtube made in 80s on how to service them.

Be wary of the spaceviews, many are conversions of dialed watches into spaceviews. Prices vary, I paid £138 for the one above, servicing will be another $130 plus postage, so all in I should have a serviced birth year accutron for €300. The accutron divers like the Deep Sea and Snorkel or Astronaut are €700+

The 218 movement in mine hacks and turns off the oscillator, so I can pull the stem if I'm not wearing it, which I like. I believe older 214s don't have this feature. Replacement coils are $130 for a 214 but only $35 for a 218.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

After some Deep_Thought I couldn’t resist. :)

502064.jpg

Going with an oldie today

IMG-20200207-082914.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

hitemfrank wrote: »

That's not a bad idea.

I've had this for quite a while...
    enJ9aY.jpg

Goes well with one of these, which I inadvertently picked up at the same time:
    Soviet-Russian-Military-Navy-Badges-For-Long-Distance.jpg
    Long range submariner service badge.

hitemfrank wrote: »
    *drools* :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

mad m wrote: »
    After some Deep_Thought I couldn’t resist. :)

Ooooo... eeeerrrr... missus

Mine says hello

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

OK not a watch, but... kinda along the lines of Hitemfrank's "oldie". I've been keeping my eyes out for an original strap(s) for my Trench watches and a few weeks back grabbed this off ebay for 20 quid.

502125.JPG

Made for a 10 mm strap, silver hallmarked for London 1914/15, even the prong is hallmarked. Will have to be stitched on, no springbars here. :) Which will probably mean the resulting strap will cost more than my watches originally did. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 64,843 ✭✭✭✭unkel

And I own a watch again. Thanks to the gentlemen brothers pm. and Rob :)

502133.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭893bet

New strap = a new watch!

Omega NATO’s are expensive but they are a class apart from any other I have tried.

2267-EDA2-6450-4-AB8-BAE5-7-D8424-FF4531.jpg

32588137-15-CB-41-F5-B4-C0-5720-D41265-FE.jpg

893bet wrote: »
    Omega NATO’s are expensive but they are a class apart from any other I have tried.

I just googled that. They're charging 155 euro for a nato strap on their website!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭893bet

pjdarcy wrote: »
    I just googled that. They're charging 155 euro for a nato strap on their website!!

Not cheap! I went second hand so paid 110. Like anything branded when you buy second hand alot of the depreciation hit has been taken. Easily sell on and recoup most of the €€ if needed (as it’s worn in rotation, wear will be minimum).

I keep meaning to buy some premium NATO’s from non branded sellers. NATO’s in the 20-30 euro range to see how they stack up; they are probably close to Omega standard (or even better)!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Lombardo123

893bet wrote: »
    New strap = a new watch!

Omega NATO’s are expensive but they are a class apart from any other I have tried

That watch is absolutely stunning. I'm doing all in my power to justify a purchase in the near future!

Resistance is futile... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭micks_address

That watch is absolutely stunning. I'm doing all in my power to justify a purchase in the near future!

I agree it's a lovely watch :) I'm not a fan of the nato look..

• Advertisement

njburke wrote: »
    Theres a world of information on accutrons out there, makes for great reading if you like to anorak a watch.
    A very interesting design, real innovation in the 1960s. How they made that index wheel (2 mm dia, 40 um thick, 10um depth on the teeth) in 1960s.
    Mybulova.com has catalogues and adverts for accutrons from the '60s. If its good enough for an X-15 test pilot its good enough for me. LBJ gave one to Kruschev, who in turn gave it to his crack team of reverse engineers and voila we have the Slava Transistor watch line.

There is a retired watchmaker who has a video on youtube made in 80s on how to service them.

Be wary of the spaceviews, many are conversions of dialed watches into spaceviews. Prices vary, I paid £138 for the one above, servicing will be another $130 plus postage, so all in I should have a serviced birth year accutron for €300. The accutron divers like the Deep Sea and Snorkel or Astronaut are €700+

The 218 movement in mine hacks and turns off the oscillator, so I can pull the stem if I'm not wearing it, which I like. I believe older 214s don't have this feature. Replacement coils are $130 for a 214 but only $35 for a 218.

So I did a thing...

502369.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement