Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I don't think I'd ever spent that kind of money on an OEM strap. I am certain that most brands just outsource it to the likes of Hirsch and add a whopping margin. They charge nearly 200 quid for a nylon NATO which I think is sheer lunacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭micks_address

Eoin wrote: »
    I don't think I'd ever spent that kind of money on an OEM strap. I am certain that most brands just outsource it to the likes of Hirsch and add a whopping margin. They charge nearly 200 quid for a nylon NATO which I think is sheer lunacy.

If Hirsch do a 19mm might check that out

• Registered Users Posts: 64,793 ✭✭✭✭unkel

+1

Original Isofrane rubber straps (so not even OEM for most watches, some are) are USD180

My ideal one was in as new condition on eBay for many weeks from an Irish seller in Cork for EUR81 + EUR10 shipping. I couldn't even go that far. The seller eventually relented and let it go to me for EUR81 with free shipping. Going rate for the common black ones in the USA are starting at USD80 (on watch forums, much higher on eBay)

An OEM rubber for Omega is made by Isofrane, always was. And it would cost USD500 alright. And vintage damaged patina ones go for way more than that again. Sorry this almost sounds like a rant :D

unkel wrote: »
    +1

Original Isofrane rubber straps (so not even OEM for most watches, some are) are USD180

My ideal one was in as new condition on eBay for many weeks from an Irish seller in Cork for EUR81 + EUR10 shipping. I couldn't even go that far. The seller eventually relented and let it go to me for EUR81 with free shipping. Going rate for the common black ones in the USA are starting at USD80 (on watch forums, much higher on eBay)

An OEM rubber for Omega is made by Isofrane, always was. And it would cost USD500 alright. And vintage damaged patina ones go for way more than that again. Sorry this almost sounds like a rant :D

This looks nice...

https://www.hirschstraps.com/collections/19mm-width-straps/products/hirsch-earl-genuine-alligator-watch-strap-in-blue?variant=21787964702803

I'll check out isofrane.
    Thanks,
    Mick

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

• Advertisement

I like isofrane a lot for divers. I probably wouldn't wear them on anything else but that's just me.

I still have a 20mm and I've also had the 22mm which I used to wear on a Seiko Shogun before I sold that watch. The 20mm is great with my Seiko SBDX001 MM300. It's amazing how it holds thathefty watch head on the wrist so well, despite the fact that the 20mm lugs on that watch are borderline too small for it when worn on rubber/silicone.

These would be the new isofranes. They are expensive but I think they are worth it on the wrist. That said, they don't suit all watches. First, they are obviously quite chunky, that's the look. Secondly, they are straight-line straps, no taper. The proportions don't suit every watch head. Thirdly, you can't use fat spring bars with them as they distort the strap slightly.

Something to be aware of however, the black ones have the wonderful suppleness and comfort that you're looking for. I've also owned navy and green and I let them go - they are noticeably less supple (but still very soft). The black one will form to your wrist out of the box, and retain its shape off your wrist. It's a really quality strap. The other colours I have had don't form to your wrist quite as well. You need to wear them a lot snugger or tolerate a loose strap. The beauty of the isofane is supposed to be that it can be worn to a comfortable fit and still mold/form to your wrist.

If you had never owned a black one you would probably be happy with the other products. But if you experienced the black one first you'd be very disappointed. Something to do with the dye/dye process they are using to get the other colours they are using perhaps?
    Aqua Terra on martu navy leather.. feels great but the colour is a little towards purple. Bought the Omega buckle separately.

That looks like great work. I really like the way it fills the lug space (no notable gap between watch and strap). The style of the strap is also perfect for dressing the watch down ever so slightly. Lovely casual look, but still very versatile.

I do agree that the colour is off however based on your pictures.

Well wear on the watch again - quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

That’s a purple strap no doubt about it, I even thought that from the original pic that was posted a few days back
    893bet has a nice strap on his aqua terra you could try

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Here's a speedmaster professional you don't see often ;)

After the full service it got it's running pretty well - 30 seconds off atomic time after around a year.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    That’s a purple strap no doubt about it, I even thought that from the original pic that was posted a few days back
    893bet has a nice strap on his aqua terra you could try

Yep thats why i emailed her the watch before ordering.. even the one i got is slightly different colour to what was on the website.. she's refunding me so no harm done..

anyone have a view on the logines aligator strap? its cheaper than the hirsch.. and i have the omega buckle.. maybe i should should forget it as im enjoying the watch on the bracelet

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

I might just bite the bullet and order an Omega strap but it's 500 dollars I'd rather not spend.. I've no issues with the bracelet so maybe I should just sit tight with it

$500 is very expensive. Does that include the deployant buckle ? Sure today I collected a new Omega strap for my Planet Ocean and it cost £185 without the tang buckle. I used the buckle from my old Planet Ocean strap.
    I got an Omega deployant buckle on TZ-UK a few years ago for significantly less than the new price. Maybe get a cheap runner strap now and put up a WTB on TZ-UK for the deployant amd once you have that maybe buy the OEM rubber strap.

$500 is very expensive. Does that include the deployant buckle ? Sure today I collected a new Omega strap for my Planet Ocean and it cost £185 without the tang buckle. I used the buckle from my old Planet Ocean strap.
    I got an Omega deployant buckle on TZ-UK a few years ago for significantly less than the new price. Maybe get a cheap runner strap now and put up a WTB on TZ-UK for the deployant amd once you have that maybe buy the OEM rubber strap.

Where did you buy the omega strap? The straps seem about 250is and another 250 for the deployant.. keep in mind its dollars so bit less

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

Where did you buy the omega strap? The straps seem about 250is and another 250 for the deployant.. keep in mind its dollars so bit less

Mercer’s in Enniskillen. I have bought a number of watches from them. They are very helpful.
    +44 28 6632 2119

Edit to add: there was a thread on TZ-UK recently about the price of omega straps possibly going up. I ordered this on the 26 April but only collected it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,745 ✭✭✭893bet

I picked up deployant and strap second hand but new for around 200. Will get you part numbers when get a chance.

Patience!

Deployants come up regular for around 120 sterling on TZ.

Funny enough a skyfall appeared the other day on TZ asking 2.8 sterling.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?451414-FS-Omega-Seamaster-Aqua-Terra-Blue-Skyfall-38-5-(2015)-B-amp-P

893bet wrote: »
    I picked up deployant and strap second hand but new for around 200. Will get you part numbers when get a chance.

Patience!

Deployants come up regular for around 120 sterling on TZ.

Funny enough a skyfall appeared the other day on TZ asking 2.8 sterling.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?451414-FS-Omega-Seamaster-Aqua-Terra-Blue-Skyfall-38-5-(2015)-B-amp-P

Yes seems to be appreciating in value... I don't know if I'll ever part with it... Famous last words

anyone have a view on the logines aligator strap? its cheaper than the hirsch.. and i have the omega buckle.. maybe i should should forget it as im enjoying the watch on the bracelet

Again, I think you are paying an unnecessary premium to have a branded strap (from a different brand to your own watch). Unless Longines straps are known for being particularly good, I wouldn't bother. And I know that some of their bracelets are nothing to write home about anyway.

I'd just spend a bit of time looking into strap makers, rather than watchmakers.

Again, I think you are paying an unnecessary premium to have a branded strap (from a different brand to your own watch). Unless Longines straps are known for being particularly good, I wouldn't bother. And I know that some of their bracelets are nothing to write home about anyway.

I'd just spend a bit of time looking into strap makers, rather than watchmakers.

Good point about the longines strap it’s dead money
    I always go with hirsch myself

Yes seems to be appreciating in value... I don't know if I'll ever part with it... Famous last words

Overall market has risen a bit so all boats have risen I guess.

Don’t spend 500 notes on a strap!

I think I paid 90 for my omega branded 19mm blue strap.

There are always omega deployants on TZ.

• Advertisement

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Here's a speedmaster professional you don't see often ;)

After the full service it got it's running pretty well - 30 seconds off atomic time after around a year.

Biiiiiiig digital fan here. I love that.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Good point about the longines strap it’s dead money
    I always go with hirsch myself

if you look at the pictures of the hirsch and logines straps they are almost identical... not saying they are the same.. im in no panic anway as its not like im stuck for a strap!

Apologies if ive derailed the thread a bit with all the strap posts

if you look at the pictures of the hirsch and logines straps they are almost identical... not saying they are the same.. im in no panic anway as its not like im stuck for a strap!

Apologies if ive derailed the thread a bit with all the strap posts

Hirsch make straps for plenty of companies like longines but a hirsch one can be picked up cheaper if you take your time and shop around, no rush with a strap it’s perfect on the bracelet

Yep thats why i emailed her the watch before ordering.. even the one i got is slightly different colour to what was on the website.. she's refunding me so no harm done..

For me, that watch is always going to look and feel best on the bracelet.

The only reason I'd look to get a leather strap for it would be to dress it up, but it is already so versatile that you don't even 'need' to do that - a watch like that is good to go for all occasions up to and including black tie if you worry about such things.

Also, I think the watch is too chunky to sit well on a slimline dressy strap, so I myself wouldn't be bothered with anything but the bracelet.

But if you are going down the road of fitting a strap to it (and why not) I really liked the style of the one you ordered but are returning - if that had been as expected in terms of the colour I think it would have been perfect.

The other colour I would put it with would be a dark brown. I think that would look great with the dial.

But it's going to look great on almost any colour (would probably avoid purple :pac:)

Omega Planet Ocean 2500 42mm for me today. I've never been crazy about the second crown but there are so many good points to this watch it's not a big deal.

ipz2nb.jpg

So different to my Omega.. in the drawer all week, pop it on the wrist and give it some light and it's back to life...

2i0dnrk.jpg

If Hirsch do a might check that out

Suggest the below part number strap from Omega (second hand....buying new would be a lot of €€€).

Strap CWZ003833
    Depolyant- 94521613 (there are a few more numbers aswell from Omega. I might even have an extra one I will sell as I have a feeling a bought an extra one at some stage.)

I have tried to get one curved fitted lugs with no success.

Looks great on blue NATO’s also!

For the first time in too long I wore my Omega AT 2500 today. This was my first decent watch and I do occasionally regret going down the rabbit hole afterwards, as there's not doubt this is versatile enough for every occasion and would see you out nicely.

Something I really like about Omega is their continuity of design. This one is badged as a Seamaster and you can see in this pic and the one of my Planet Ocean above a similar approach to the case/lugs. The profiling of the case goes right back to the '60s and is very evident in vintage Omegas of that era and right through to the 8500 today (albeit the 8500 are noticeably thicker to accommodate the new movements).

345c415.jpg

edit: I think my lens was a bit smudged - I might replace the pic if I get a chance later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Fwiw I think the colour looks great, adds a nice pop of colour. if it matched the dial totally it would look very samey-samey. It's not navy but it's a deep warm purple which actually looks more natural than navy leather tends to. But I tend to like unexpected colour straps on dress watches because it makes them a bit less stuffy whereas some people prefer a more classic/conservative.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement