Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

Just wondering what people's thoughts are on the Longines Master Collection?
    Find myself seriously considering buying....love the look of it. Almost a Grandmaster Chime look to it!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Voltex wrote:
    Find myself seriously considering buying....love the look of it. Almost a Grandmaster Chime look to it!

I like the look, not sure about the size though. I tried on some in KV in the past, lots of wrist presence anyway. The Lindbergh watches are interesting too, but I've yet to understand how the calculations work:(

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

Voltex wrote: »

Have a Longines Flagship Heritage Chronograph up for sale on Adverts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Well, having unsuccessfully tried to buy one of these on here a few months ago it gave me the longing for one and I finally struck gold in Spain last week. Some beast, very happy with it:

20190602-205649.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 64,793 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Looks like a big beast alright :cool:

What's the model number?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

unkel wrote: »
    Looks like a big beast alright :cool:

What's the model number?

That’s a Seiko Prospex Kinetic GMT SUN019P1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

oxocube wrote: »
    Have a Longines Flagship Heritage Chronograph up for sale on Adverts :)
    Thats a good looking watch for sure...but I'm more attracted to the complications on the Master Collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

Thats a good looking watch for sure...but I'm more attracted to the complications on the Master Collection.

Sorry for the shameless plug :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 64,793 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That’s a Seiko Prospex Kinetic GMT SUN019P1

48mm, strong lume, sapphire crystal, that's unusual for a mid price Seiko!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Another arrival, a 1970s Nappey waterproof diver/rally style handwinder. The reserve on this is far longer than my automatics, there must be a monster mainspring in it. It's a chromed brass body.

483347.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

It’s not a great watch on the wrist IMO, the bezel isn’t right for the dial, It’s hard to say why exactly, it’s just too flat and out of proportion or something, and the 24 hour markers make it look too busy, and hard to read. The transocean 1461 is what this watch should be but isn’t

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

njburke wrote: »
    Another arrival, a 1970s Nappey waterproof diver/rally style handwinder. The reserve on this is far longer than my automatics, there must be a monster mainspring in it. It's a chromed brass body.

I'm liking that.

I've been tempted by a few Nappey diver pieces recently. But currently waiting on the return of my Master Mariner Chrono after a light restoration.
    48097800043_5e9325ca23_b.jpg

Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

I like the funky 70s look of it,it's definitely of its time. The dial is a bit busy with the chequer pattern but it has colour on the bezel and in the dial, blue on the bezel and red for the first quarter of the minute track. It ticks away nicely and so far seems reasonable accurate, so overall I'm pleased with it. You can really feel the spring tension when you wind, maybe it's very efficient which is why it runs so long on a wind.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Me. Just now, well within the hour ago, looking again at NJB's Nappey and liking it. I love the 70's stuff, particularly the non "big name" fancy stuff. Reminds me of my earliest days looking at watches in shop windows on holidays in Spain and France with my parents. :) My first watch was a Mortima "Diver". I bloody loved that watch.

483425.jpg

This is my warm weather watch, though these days... And my "I'm off on the rip tonight" and holiday as per the other thread watch. Tiny so doesn't attract dodgy attention and can take a clatter and the odd splash of water.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    currently waiting on the return of my Master Mariner Chrono after a light restoration.

Can't wait.
    That's a bloody cracker of a watch L. *envious*

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭fourmations

Wibbs wrote: »

Ditto!! I'm only a newb watch guy
    But I've already realised that it's all vintage or vintage styled for me,
    this is right up my street, beautiful piece!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Wibbs wrote: »

Thanks, mate.

It is a bit of a find, but thankfully my tame horologist reports the mechanism was all good, just a wee bit dirty.

He managed to keep it all with appropriate parts, as even the case was a common item, so it need a new winder but they were easily had. He even managed to reseal it properly with new tubes for the pushers.

Just waiting on it to be posted back now. :)

Managed to find one or two other interesting bits for him to have a look at too. A 50s Glycine military style manual, and a 40s era GMT precursor with a sort of triple date thing.

Will post on progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Dj41 in fairness the new jubilee is class and super comfortable

JpjPNV9.jpg

OlHTrLn.jpg

iDEMmcn.jpg

^ Outstanding.

I love the size/proportions. The dial is great too, as is the bracelet. All round excellence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Well wear Cyrus, thats a cracking choice. We must all be getting old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,745 ✭✭✭893bet

How big is your wrist? Looks smaller than I expected of a 41mm.

Looks the business in fairness!

(Now keep it for more than 12 months...).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

893bet wrote: »
    How big is your wrist? Looks smaller than I expected of a 41mm.

Looks the business in fairness!

(Now keep it for more than 12 months...).

probably around 7.25" or so give or take.

its a perfect size really, i think its been measured via caliper at a little over 39mm so its a very small 41mm :P

i think the buying and selling is over for a while now, have this, hulk, gmtc and iwc portuguese, pretty well covered.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Not anywhere near as exciting as most the watches on this thread.

But...

IMG-20190624-150145-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Wearing my monster mod today, I think it might be time to sell it on to fund a new watch

5053e1cecbdbcc2f9ba46a3c5448e88e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Pablo_Flox wrote: »
    Not anywhere near as exciting as most the watches on this thread.

But...
    Timex watch

Ain't nothing wrong with Timex/quartz - reliable, robust and readable :)

And hey - just dug a little into their holding group:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timex_Group

They produce Versace, Valentino and Guess watches too so could be considered a "luxury fashion" brand :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Ain't nothing wrong with Timex/quartz - reliable, robust and readable :)

And hey - just dug a little into their holding group:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timex_Group

They produce Versace, Valentino and Guess watches too so could be considered a "luxury fashion" brand :D
    Is it just me that finds this bit a bit odd?

renamed the company Timex, as a portmanteau of Time (referring to Time magazine) and Kleenex

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

That almost reads as a rogue edit of wikipedia :D

But apparently true! Fortune reported it and reposted in reddit:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/comments/64zoav/til_timex_watch_company_is_a_portmanteau_of_time/

His father used a lot of kleenex...gets mind out of gutters :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Is it just me that finds this bit a bit odd?

That's actually put me off Timex.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Cienciano wrote: »
    That's actually put me off Timex.

Wipe it from your memory.

• Advertisement

A close mate's grandfather's English made* Smiths watch from the early 60's.

483883.jpg

Interesting layout with 24 hour markings too. And the crosshair dial and subdial, both concentrically grooved. Touch of the Universal Geneve Polerouter to it, though fancier than most of those and certainly fancier than the usual Smiths. Haven't been able to find the model so far.

It wasn't working, but he figured I might be able to get it going(cos I'm one of those "watch weirdos". :D). Turned out the hour hand was slightly binding on the sub second hand which is common enough, so a quick tweak and off she ran. Great amplitude, the regulator is sitting in the middle and have it running around 5 secs per 24 hours. Great little movements on these. The crystal was also fecked, but happily it took the exact same size as one of my other watches for which I have a spare. Result. Found a new leather strap for it too. And since he's both a friend and a rellie, it's kinda connected to me as well. :)

*and they made everything in house, from the springs to the hands and dials.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement