Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭porker36

very nice wibbs, I have visited there site a few times, am very tempted for a new superman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Feel a bit tacky after Cyrus and Wibbs' crackers, but here's today's choice: Aviation on new Zulu. First Zulu strap, quite like all the rings on it.

481047.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Absolutely love the new Santos. Blue dial is stunning. I know they’ve given this one lume (which was my only complaint with the white dial), but how is the legibility overall?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Absolutely love the new Santos. Blue dial is stunning. I know they’ve given this one lume (which was my only complaint with the white dial), but how is the legibility overall?

i find it fine, but ive never really had an issue with legibility on any watch,

its only lume on the hands but it helps a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Have this on, I got a new WOCCI leather strap for it on Amazon.
    Not sure of its details but nice and understated :)

481081.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Me the other day concerning my 1916 Longines...
    Wibbs wrote: »
    Including "lume" I sourced in a arts and crafts shop back in the nineties and very inexpertly globbed on, cos I knew even less back then. :o One of these days I'm gonna redo it right.
    So, I figured what the hell, no time like the present.

First, off with the hands and remove the old gloopy toy shop "lume" from the dial and hands. Horrid stuff actually and was dug in like a tick. :(:eek: The enamel dial wasn't so much an issue, as little will stick to that material, so just gently work at it with a toothpick and it came off. The hands were a nightmare. The usual gently mechanical pressure came to nought, so broke out the last resort for this kinda thing; acetone. Caveat acetone will dissolve things like lume, but it also breeds rust like crazy, so straight after the dip in it that loosened the lume, right into a bath of WD40 to neutralise it and to drive out any damp. The stuff is OK in my experience with blued hands, but they're real blued hands not paint. It'll strip paint like a bugger so beware. Given what I'm working with is over a century old I was bricking it TBH. But it worked.

Anyway old glop gone, new lume made up with a hint of a tint(s) to mimic the colour of what the original radium would have looked like when new(the original radium nasty stuff was removed in the 90's via an ultrasonic clean).

481098.jpg

It's slightly darker than in the pic. To paint the dial I used a brush just like the painters did originally(QV Radium Girls). So being somewhat rough and ready is OK with these. Later the lume was "printed" on and far more precisely. Ever time I do this I'm reminded of how so many got sick and died from doing this with radium and I feel a great respect for the skills of those women. It took me an hour taking it handy, they'd do a dial in minutes or less. I used a tiny brush. More hairs on the top of Sean Connery's head. In the past I've used watch oilers and toothpicks to do hands, but have found a tiny brush more controllable myself. Go with thin "coats", about the consistency of milk and surface tension will fill the spaces. It gets easy with practice TBH. I usually give two or three very thin passes on it allowing 15 minutes between "coats". Ditto for the dial. The more thin coats the better, but be careful not to overload the hands or they'll foul each other as they pass every hour.

First coat after a couple of seconds of exposure to the evening "sunlight".
    481102.jpg

Next hands back on.
    481103.jpg
    Checking to make sure everything lines up on each of the hours and don't foul each other or the seconds hand. Looking OK and with the knobbly texture of the original hand painted numbers.

All back together and after a charge from the last dregs of the setting daylight...
    481104.jpg
    Now I'm crap at taking lume shots and it's a tad shaky, but that's using an older iPhone and after 15 minutes in the dark. :eek: Glows like a mofo and is so far easily legible after an hour(it even illuminates the dust on the crystal). The lume I got years ago from someone who had Seiko lume as part of a dealer closing down sale or some such. Apparently it's the best lume and in my experience it is.

Took over twenty years and the abuse it has suffered at my hands, :o but I finally sorted my fave oul thing. Daft I know, but I'm well chuffed and all aglow myself now. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

That yema superman has caught my eye. I've been wanting an eta2824,.

Just popped this on, a Casio gw5610 , another from the bargains thread. Doing some gardening. It's radio synced with multiple functions.

481160.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Gorteen

My Breitling :)

481379.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Gorteen wrote: »
    My Breitling :)

[[/IMG]

10000FT water resistance?? Really??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

:eek: The bezel is off centre!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Gorteen

blindsider wrote: »
    :eek: The bezel is off centre!!!

It's ok with me. I don't have OCD :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭fat bloke

10000FT water resistance?? Really??

Should that not be 1000ft for (300m)? -It's hardly 3000 metres with another zero hidden behind the hands there...??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Wibbs wrote: »
    Me the other day concerning my 1916 Longines...So, I figured what the hell, no time like the present.

First, off with the hands and remove the old gloopy toy shop "lume" from the dial and hands. Horrid stuff actually and was dug in like a tick. :(:eek: The enamel dial wasn't so much an issue, as little will stick to that material, so just gently work at it with a toothpick and it came off. The hands were a nightmare. The usual gently mechanical pressure came to nought, so broke out the last resort for this kinda thing; acetone. Caveat acetone will dissolve things like lume, but it also breeds rust like crazy, so straight after the dip in it that loosened the lume, right into a bath of WD40 to neutralise it and to drive out any damp. The stuff is OK in my experience with blued hands, but they're real blued hands not paint. It'll strip paint like a bugger so beware. Given what I'm working with is over a century old I was bricking it TBH. But it worked.

Anyway old glop gone, new lume made up with a hint of a tint(s) to mimic the colour of what the original radium would have looked like when new(the original radium nasty stuff was removed in the 90's via an ultrasonic clean).

It's slightly darker than in the pic. To paint the dial I used a brush just like the painters did originally(QV Radium Girls). So being somewhat rough and ready is OK with these. Later the lume was "printed" on and far more precisely. Ever time I do this I'm reminded of how so many got sick and died from doing this with radium and I feel a great respect for the skills of those women. It took me an hour taking it handy, they'd do a dial in minutes or less. I used a tiny brush. More hairs on the top of Sean Connery's head. In the past I've used watch oilers and toothpicks to do hands, but have found a tiny brush more controllable myself. Go with thin "coats", about the consistency of milk and surface tension will fill the spaces. It gets easy with practice TBH. I usually give two or three very thin passes on it allowing 15 minutes between "coats". Ditto for the dial. The more thin coats the better, but be careful not to overload the hands or they'll foul each other as they pass every hour.

Next hands back on.

I'll take it off your hands if you dont like it. !

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭Ryath

fat bloke wrote: »
    Should that not be 1000ft for (300m)? -It's hardly 3000 metres with another zero hidden behind the hands there...??

Surprised with that myself. There's another zero there. Definitely safe to wear in the shower! Not normally a fan of Breitlings as I find most too busy but I like this one.

1900439_04_full.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 64,793 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Sure the Deepsea is 3,900m

8755553_xxl.jpg?v=1531964233183

And didn't Cameron have a Rolex on the outside of his submarine at the bottom of the Mariana trench (about 11,000m deep) and it was fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Ryath wrote: »
    Surprised with that myself. There's another zero there. Definitely safe to wear in the shower! Not normally a fan of Breitlings as I find most too busy but I like this one.

That's a lot, especially since they don't seem to make a big fuss about it and call it the "deep sea" or whatever....
    Defo ok for the shower....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭Ryath

That's a lot, especially since they don't seem to make a big fuss about it and call it the "deep sea" or whatever....
    Defo ok for the shower....

They call it the Avenger Seawolf!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

I went with 3300ft just to make sure it’s okay for the shower :D

481444.jpeg

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭micks_address

Tomorrow I finally get my hands on my Omega Aqua Terra skyfall... Will I be dissapointed? 5 months I've been waiting to collect in Boston... Pictures as soon as I can.
    Cheers,
    Mick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Today, it's my 7750 pilot in a double rivet strap.

481495.jpg

Tomorrow I finally get my hands on my Omega Aqua Terra skyfall... Will I be dissapointed? 5 months I've been waiting to collect in Boston... Pictures as soon as I can.
    Cheers,
    Mick

Nice. That's a handsome watch in probably my favourite style (gents 3 hander sports watch).

So versatile - could easily be your only watch. It can do it all.

Quick and Dirty **** but it caught the blues seconds hand nicely.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/V3er0HM"><a href="//imgur.com/V3er0HM"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

ecoli3136 wrote: »
    Quick and Dirty **** but it caught the blues seconds hand nicely.

<

I think you need a minimum of 20 or perhaps 25 posts before you can upload photos. Hopefully Wibbs can fix it.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It isn't a link so sadly I can't. ecoli3136 if you get a www link post it but put a space between the W's and I'll fix it for you.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I've been wearing this one a lot lately. It's a Casio M640 I got in from Japan. It has a Casio tough solar movement. It radio syncs to atomic time, has a dot matrix display for functions such as timer stop watch, world time etc.
    I only used the timer today in order to ring someone back in 20 minutes:-)

481561.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭93Cab

My Spork ( ex Homer ) just back from a clean and polish!

481574.jpeg

Just a quick shot.. 5 months waiting.. it's beautiful.. condition to my eye is pristine.. need a link added.. they came with it.. did someone say any Omega authorized dealer should do for free? I was going to add myself but figure it's worth maybe in this case getting a pro to do it..

e9f6n9.jpg

'll more pictures later.
    Thanks,
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rootsblower

Wow fabulous watch

• Advertisement

awful picture though :) the lighting in my office is terrible.. ill get some nicer later or tomorrow in natural light.. just want to head to the jewelery store right away to get resized but better stick around another hour or so :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement