Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Very much so, its a deep gloss and personally I prefer it to the wave dial. Almost black in certain lights and purple in others. The new seamasters are back to the wave dial so maybe this will be a desirable model (if any mass produced omega can be?)

Looked black in the first picture - very cool. I much prefer the more subtle waves on the older ones than the new SMP. Yours looks much nicer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Would you recommend the one you got? Share a link to it??

Did you do any research on watches continously moving v not, in terms of any wear and tear / servicing consequences? I've no idea myself whether it's better to keep them moving or let them stop for a while... I guess its to do with the oil inside breaking down and possibly no relation to the amount of time the parts spend moving?

Link is in my original post above, I like the winder its nice looking, quiet enough (not quiet enough for a bedroom mind you) and displays the watches nicely. I have read both ways online. Some say its better to leave a watch run down to avoid wear and tear, others say keeping it moving keeps it lubricated and avoids seizing the parts and straining it by winding from empty. For me I feel these are all designed to run 24/7/365 for years on end, and from cars I know its better to have a car running than sat up. If I let them run down I tend not to wear them cause I am lazy to set them in the morning, important if you dont have quick set dates, perpetual calendars or other complications that are a PITA to set. Its also nice to see how they keep time compared to eachother

• Registered Users Posts: 19,741 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

those of you with watch winders

do you not worry about having your watches out on display like that, mine are in a safe!

Cyrus wrote: »

do you not worry about having your watches out on display like that, mine are in a safe!

They are all replicas :pac::pac::pac:

Depends on where you keep the watchwinder I suppose, I dont really practice defensive living, and my car is sitting on display on my drive anyway. Its all insured, and the security system, cameras and dogs would be a deterrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭893bet

Cyrus wrote: »

I risk I don’t take for that reason!

May the thief work for it.

I added my BLNR to insurance. All risks, home and away for 80 quid. That is good value in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

893bet wrote: »

I added my BLNR to insurance. All risks, home and away for 80 quid. That is good value in my opinion.

I added my Speedie, 50 Euro...

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Best not have it on your wrist, easiest place to steal it from.

I added my Speedie, 50 Euro...

At 1% of the value it seems like reasonable value for all risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,912 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I dont really practice defensive living, and my car is sitting on display on my drive anyway. Its all insured

Couldn't agree more. Very cheap to add valuable watches to your home insurance and that covers you for loss / theft outside the home too. Don't give me that hardman bollocks about keeping a baseball bat behind the door of your bedroom :rolleyes:

Wibbs wrote: »
    Seiko calculator from 1977, the year of release and along with a Citizen the first LCD calculator watch. The lightbulb backlight still works too. :)

That really is amazing your father bought that in 1977

My own - late - father brought me a basic pocket calculator in 1974 from his business trip to the US (he worked all his working life for Philips electronics as an engineer in their global research campus)

Nobody back home knew a thing like that even existed. It was extremely rudimentary though, to multiply 6 by 4 you would have to hit 6 then hit an enter button, then hit 4 and hit an enter button and then hit the multiply button. No decimal points either

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Found this little lovely in a drawer the weekend, forgot I had it. Bought in 2006 I think in Argos for circa €50, done maybe 4/5 years daily use and all she needed was a new battery and she's flying again. Gonna use this as my daily in love it with it all over again and Argos still sell em new for €38.99 I checked yesterday :pac:

IMG_20180801_010839.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

unkel wrote: »
    That really is amazing your father bought that in 1977

My own - late - father brought me a basic pocket calculator in 1974 from his business trip to the US (he worked all his working life for Philips electronics as an engineer in their global research campus)

Nobody back home knew a thing like that even existed. It was extremely rudimentary though, to multiply 6 by 4 you would have to hit 6 then hit an enter button, then hit 4 and hit an enter button and then hit the multiply button. No decimal points either
    I dunno where my oulfella sourced stuff like this in Ireland of the 70's. My mother was an accountant and for her birthday in 1974, same year as your da's pocket calculator, he got her a Sharp model. Red LED and needed four AA batteries to run it. They only lasted a couple of weeks so most of the time she kept it plugged in. Like you said it was real space age stuff back then.

Things moved on rapidly though. It felt even more rapid than today as far as WTF is that! type stuff coming along very regularly. Digital watches went from near prototypes that cost many thousands(in 70's money too) to being on the wrists of kids for not much more than pocket money in well under ten years. We went from pocket calculators that again cost big money to the first phase of home computers in an even shorter timeframe. Our calculators were 1974, by 1980 there were Apple II and Atari and Sinclair and Commodore and the like.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Indeed! My dad built his Apple II from parts in 1980! Things have kept moving rapidly. It really is a wonderful time to be alive.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

unkel wrote: »
    Indeed! My dad built his Apple II from parts in 1980! Things have kept moving rapidly. It really is a wonderful time to be alive.

I think my parent's generation, born before WW2 have seen the biggest leap in technology in their lives. Most houses when they were born didn't have electricity, 30 years later man walked on the moon.

Sorry we're off topic, anyone got a watch pic?

Fencing with the BFK.

457230.jpg

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

blue5000 wrote: »

Fencing with the BFK.
    No better tool for the job and in emergencies can be used as a hammer with little ill effect. :)

On/off topic, re the 70's electronics and progress: What I'm wearing today.

457231.jpg

My hunted down for years Girard Perregaux early quartz from 1971/2 with the extremely hard to find Chip dial. A schematic of the Motorola chip inside these movements that regulated the quartz. Here with its great great grandkids. :D The interwebs held that these were only promo/advertising dials and not available in the wild, so the hunt was on. And at the time very few were looking at early quartz so my meagre budget was still in the game. Of the two I've found some background on, they were both presentations to folks working in Motorola at the time. They were probably too non traditional and gimmicky for the general market looking for an expensive "good" watch(1/3rd more than a steel Rolex sub) so sold in small numbers. Tiny numbers if the number of examples of these left today are any indication.

In 1971 vanishingly few items in the general public had "silicon chips" in them and they were extremely expensive. By 1981 they were everywhere. I remember the BBC TV programme "Tomorrows World" where the line "it has a silicon chip in it" became a meme by the early 80's. Today it's hard enough to find anything in our lives that doesn't. It's easy to forget the humble wristwatch was very much at the vanguard of that tech. In say 1975 what other everyday item had LCD/LED screens, key inputs, memory, quartz timing, battery driven(for over a year), even solar powered with integrated circuits in such a small wearable package. The laptop, pad, phone we're using on this forum owes the 70's wristwatch quite a bit.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Wibbs wrote: »
    No better tool for the job and in emergencies can be used as a hammer with little ill effect. :)

On/off topic, re the 70's electronics and progress: What I'm wearing today.

I still don't know how you find these things..

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Long winter evenings, a glass, or three of Bordeaux and eyes open for spelling mistakes and crap photos on ebay and a near savant like ability to scan pages of listings at high speed. That one above had a photo taken with a potato. In the dark. Plus an awful description, which was in Spanish on ebay.es, so that left the anglosphere out of the running as it seems most English speaking collectors, especially Americans, rarely if ever look at local language listings. That's another "trick", look at local only listings ebay.fr/es/it(very good) etc. Germany usually too expensive. 9 times outa 10 after a chatty email in your best schoolboy French Spanish Italian will be only to happy to post to Ireland.

Just landed! Gonna need a new strap! Pretty hideous!

rkznr8.jpg

Happy birthday, Walt! :p
    blue5000 wrote: »
    I think my parent's generation, born before WW2 have seen the biggest leap in technology in their lives. Most houses when they were born didn't have electricity, 30 years later man walked on the moon.

Good point. My late parents were also born before WW2 (they grew up with war and hunger) and they made me watch the moon landing when I was 1 year old!

My father was big into computers and conservation of finite resources / renewable energy. He had PV on our garage roof in the 90s - 2 expensive panels totaling about 100W, costing a fortune. He passed away nearly 10 years ago but he would be amazed by smartphones and that pretty much everyone in the world has one :eek: and that his son now drives a full EV (charged to a large extent with wind), heats his water with the sun and has an ever expanding solar PV system on his various roofs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

bgbq12.jpg

This is 2shea's fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Cost a few Bob

457752.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

With my Bell-Matic off to the UK to be serviced,this will take its place.
    rDirk6Nh.jpg
    Date is broken,was told a new movement is needed for €60.As a little challenge i looked at vintage watches for €60,found some interesting like Seiko 5 TV dials and some Russian watches.Just wondering what is the most interesting vintage watch for €60?.Knowing Wibbs would find a "Omeega Seamister" off some Spanish seller with box and papers for that.:D

Just arrived! I have a problem!!

Not sure if this one is going to stay for long though! It was an itch I wanted to scratch as I do like simple three handers. Suberb watch but I like my watches with a little more of a splash of colour!

bf1aab.jpg

When browsing on my phone both of my last two images appear in the correct orientation.

When on the laptop they appear sideways? Am I going cracked.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

If you want a touch more colour, than the North Flag might be a good option?

Just collected! I like a bit of colour! Strap will have to go!

jil18z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭micks_address

Just collected! I like a bit of colour! Strap will have to go!

SNIP
    Yes funky strap but like it..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭scotchy

First post here, so obligatory pic taken in car:)

Arrived today and added to my collection of mainly Seikos. delighted with it.

o6rVFRI.jpg

Will post a few more later

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

scotchy wrote: »
    First post here, so obligatory pic taken in car:)

Arrived today and added to my collection of mainly Seikos. delighted with it.

Will post a few more later

Beautiful watch, any idea on model number? I'm always attracted to green-based watches and never had the balls to pull the trigger on one. The Seiko Alpine (? looks like an elf watch to me) is on my list for about 5 years now and is now out of production I believe :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Welcome on board, nice watch scotchy, shame about the veehicle:(

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement