Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

That's an amateur move!!

You need to spend the next 6 months showing her photos of gold subs, yacht master 2's or sky dwellers....

After that, when you point out the explorer- she'll just all over that bargain!!:D

Haha very true..... must start doing that now

456834.jpg

My dad gave it to me so I'm even hesitant to get the scuffs/scratches cleaned up.
    Other than an internal service I think that I'll leave it as is

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭RMDrive

My dad gave it to me so I'm even hesitant to get the scuffs/scratches cleaned up.

This is what I want ....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Not one for the purists, but a lot of watch going on.
    Garmin fenix 5 plus, sapphire glass, titanium bezel, 72 grams.
    Will probably stick a nice black or dark grey leather band on for casual wear, the orange stock band for the titanium is a little overstated.

456839.PNG

[/QUOTE]
    [/QUOTE]

What a fantastic piece you have a good dad :)

• Advertisement

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Not one for the purists, but a lot of watch going on.
    Garmin fenix 5 plus, sapphire glass, titanium bezel, 72 grams.
    Will probably stick a nice black or dark grey leather band on for casual ]

A guy I work with loves his Garmin..... it updates his runs to Facebook along the route and distance and time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

RMDrive wrote: »
    This is what I want ....

A Dad who buys watches like this?:confused:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭RMDrive

blue5000 wrote: »
    A Dad who buys watches like this?:confused:

:D:D Well that would do either. Failing that, I'll continue to stick with the tried and trusted method of looking obsessively on the internet and (in about 2 years) cracking under the pressure and just buying one.

456859.jpg

My old day to day. Still use it when going to be doing something more manual

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭fat bloke

When 200m is too much but 100m just don't cut it no mo. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭FingerDeKat

2shea wrote: »

Have it on a brown leather strap at the moment .
    Can't see the fecking bike :pac::pac::P

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brennus335

IMG_20180724_090001.jpg
    IMG_20180724_085921.jpg

The pocket watch is inscribed on the back:

Presented to James Rea
    By his colleagues at RUC Smithfield
    31st January 1926

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

2shea wrote: »
    A guy I work with loves his Garmin..... it updates his runs to Facebook along the route and distance and time.

Yep, you can be over social!
    If I'm heading on a long run or bike I can set it to send updates to Mrs Beeps, which is handy from a safety perspective.
    It can also store music and podcast files and has some music streaming services.
    Garmin pay has just been launched for Ireland for a select few banks / cards, so I can use it at any contactless merchant.

456913.jpg

This is of pure sentimental value. Was given to me, to go with my wedding suit, by my best man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

2gukrrd.jpg

fat bloke wrote: »
    When 200m is too much but 100m just don't cut it no mo. :)

When the most I've ever gone is 30m...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Thought I'd drag myself into the digital age today. My "smart" watch. :D

456970.jpg

Seiko calculator from 1977, the year of release and along with a Citizen the first LCD calculator watch. The lightbulb backlight still works too. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I wonder how much it was in 1977, even has a square root function.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It was my dads. I can't remember the price, but I know it wasn't cheap. A few years later for my confirmation my parents got me a later version(with tiny keyboard) Seiko calculator watch and I was very aware it was the most expensive item I owned and was way more expensive than the Casio calculators of the time. Seiko's never really were cheap. Certainly back in the digital craze. They were very much in that bracket of being a "good watch" and more of The Future™ than the Swiss offerings. Pre the whole watch collecting thing of the last twenty years the brands and prices people knew were what were in your local jewellers window, or adverts in magazines. Outside the trade and the very rare collectors, brands like Patek and the like were almost unknown. Even brands like IWC were unknown. A couple of hundred quid was an "expensive" watch. Spending thousands was for film stars. Brands like Omega and Longines and Seiko were "luxury" for most. Rolex were seen as a bit flash harry. I remember Rotary being popular. There were a lot of cheap generic "Swiss watches" around too. It was that sector that the "quartz crisis" cheap digitals from the Far East killed for the Swiss. Different times.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

It certainly couldn't have been inexpensive. That level of power, on the wrist was insane back then. The memory functions alone were far from standard on full sized calculators!

• Advertisement

Oh I remember people commenting that it was like a computer on the wrist, very space age. Jokes about having car batteries in his pockets to power it were another. :D Funny enough CE the one I got a few years later(around 82) was smaller and had an alarm, but it didn't have memory functions or square roots or any of that. It wasn't nearly as fully featured a calculator. Size might have been the issue. That one above is a big watch for the period(45mm top to bottom). Most men's watches were 35mm or less and while there was a trend for large in Casio type plastic cased digitals, "good watches" were more dressy and smaller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Posting my fairly generic collection. I have cut it down to 4 watches after selling off a lot of my others. like a lot of us I had a lot of various watches, and still have a box of various impulse purchases. I do like a watch with a bit of colour, and nothing too big.

Omega Seamaster Professional 300 ceramic.

Pros: Its a classic, robust, good diameter at 41mm without too much thickness, keeps almost perfect time. Blue dial is very vibrant and clean, ceramic bezel really pops. D variant co-axial better for servicing.
    Cons: Bracelet is comfortable but fussy. Depreciation, no display back.

20180729_095539.jpg

Seiko Padi Turtle SRPA21K1
    Pros: Great beater, lovely blue sunburst dial, Blue red colour is nice and casual.
    Cons: Thick on the wrist, time keeping is not great, ubiquitous.

20180729_095827.jpg

Omega Speedmaster Racing Co-axial.
    Pros: Love the dial and yellow hands so much detail on it, Nice and small at 40mm and thin on the wrist for a chronograph. Keeps excellent time. Rubber strap is really comfortable.
    Cons: unidirectional winding (modified Valjoux) give a lot of wobble on the wrist (kinda fun), not that waterproof as not screw down pushers.

20180729_095727.jpg

Rolex Milgauss 116400GV
    Pros: Green Crystal is recognizable at a distance, less common model, a bit different, versatile size and look. No homages.
    Cons: Not the best resale, no date.

20180729_095457.jpg

Think all I really want is to ditch the seiko and get a Daytona, that would complete it as I would have one sports and one chrono of both my favoured brands. Dress watches are not me. Problem is a Daytona a super expensive watch, so it would be a choice of a watch or a car. I think I will chill the beans for a while and see what the market does.

Got a USB powered watch-winder on amazon, 75 sterling. Very good thing to have and has various winding programs and makes sure all my watches get a turn on the wrist.

20180729_093912.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Darwin

Wibbs wrote: »
    It was my dads. I can't remember the price, but I know it wasn't cheap. A few years later for my confirmation my parents got me a later version(with tiny keyboard) Seiko calculator watch and I was very aware it was the most expensive item I owned and was way more expensive than the Casio calculators of the time. Seiko's never really were cheap. Certainly back in the digital craze. They were very much in that bracket of being a "good watch" and more of The Future™ than the Swiss offerings. Pre the whole watch collecting thing of the last twenty years the brands and prices people knew were what were in your local jewellers window, or adverts in magazines. Outside the trade and the very rare collectors, brands like Patek and the like were almost unknown. Even brands like IWC were unknown. A couple of hundred quid was an "expensive" watch. Spending thousands was for film stars. Brands like Omega and Longines and Seiko were "luxury" for most. Rolex were seen as a bit flash harry. I remember Rotary being popular. There were a lot of cheap generic "Swiss watches" around too. It was that sector that the "quartz crisis" cheap digitals from the Far East killed for the Swiss. Different times.

@wibbs that pic of your Seiko calculator watch brings back some memories. My father had one of those too (I'm sure my mother would kill him if she found out how much he paid for it at the time). Around the same time (late 1980s) I remember buying a gold coloured Seiko memo diary watch from H Samuels on Dublin's Henry St. It had a dot matrix display and a detachable keyboard and was really state of the art at the time. Cooler than any mobile phone that was to come in the 90s!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,768 ✭✭✭893bet

I like that Speedmaster! Just enough colour to be interesting but not enough to attract huge attention!

It certainly couldn't have been inexpensive.
    For fun I did a bit of digging and found an American ad from 1978 for one. 350 dollars, which according to interwebs conversion tables equates to roughly 1400 dollars today.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Thought I'd drag myself into the digital age today. My "smart" watch. :D

Seiko calculator from 1977, the year of release and along with a Citizen the first LCD calculator watch. The lightbulb backlight still works too. :)

Awesome. What a cool piece of the 70s/80s. Bracelets on it is great also.

I find myself looking at alot of Vintage japinese quartz digital and 3 handers lately. Glad I never got the whole fear/hate of quartz like some people seem to get when the get into watches.

Quartz has it's place too.

Posting my fairly generic collection. I have cut it down to 4 watches after selling off a lot of my others. like a lot of us I had a lot of various watches, and still have a box of various impulse purchases. I do like a watch with a bit of colour, and nothing too big.

Omega Seamaster Professional 300 ceramic.

Pros: Its a classic, robust, good diameter at 41mm without too much thickness, keeps almost perfect time. Blue dial is very vibrant and clean, ceramic bezel really pops. D variant co-axial better for servicing.
    Cons: Bracelet is comfortable but fussy. Depreciation, no display back.

Seiko Padi Turtle SRPA21K1
    Pros: Great beater, lovely blue sunburst dial, Blue red colour is nice and casual.
    Cons: Thick on the wrist, time keeping is not great, ubiquitous.

Omega Speedmaster Racing Co-axial.
    Pros: Love the dial and yellow hands so much detail on it, Nice and small at 40mm and thin on the wrist for a chronograph. Keeps excellent time. Rubber strap is really comfortable.
    Cons: unidirectional winding (modified Valjoux) give a lot of wobble on the wrist (kinda fun), not that waterproof as not screw down pushers.

Rolex Milgauss 116400GV
    Pros: Green Crystal is recognizable at a distance, less common model, a bit different, versatile size and look. No homages.
    Cons: Not the best resale, no date.

Think all I really want is to ditch the seiko and get a Daytona, that would complete it as I would have one sports and one chrono of both my favoured brands. Dress watches are not me. Problem is a Daytona a super expensive watch, so it would be a choice of a watch or a car. I think I will chill the beans for a while and see what the market does.

Got a USB powered watch-winder on amazon, Very good thing to have and has various winding programs and makes sure all my watches get a turn on the wrist.

That is a fantastic 4 piece collection. It really is. The seamaster looks amazing in tbe first photo, does the dial change colour depending on the angle you look at it? A watch I would defiantly consider for my own collection.

Keep the Seiko, every collection needs a Seiko :)

I hope to get to the stage one day to have 3 pieces that I am very happy with, but honestly I don't think it will ever happen.

Love picking which watch I'm going to wear for the day. Spending time with it on the wrist then put it back into the box until it's next turn.

Granted I do have some favourites that get more time on the wrist then others but that changes too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

does the dail change colour depending on the angle you look at it? A watch I would defiantly consider for my own collection.

Very much so, its a deep gloss and personally I prefer it to the wave dial. Almost black in certain lights and purple in others. The new seamasters are back to the wave dial so maybe this will be a desirable model (if any mass produced omega can be?)

Keep the Seiko, every collection needs a Seiko :)

Snowflake dial grand seiko :) The only reason I would get rid is because it is a bit bulky on my wrist. Of course with 4 spots in the winder I can have 5 watches?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

[ Of course with 4 spots in the winder I can have 5 watches?

Would you recommend the one you got? Share a link to it??

Did you do any research on watches continously moving v not, in terms of any wear and tear / servicing consequences? I've no idea myself whether it's better to keep them moving or let them stop for a while... I guess its to do with the oil inside breaking down and possibly no relation to the amount of time the parts spend moving?

• Advertisement

Would you recommend the one you got? Share a link to it??

Did you do any research on watches continously moving v not, in terms of any wear and tear / servicing consequences? I've no idea myself whether it's better to keep them moving or let them stop for a while... I guess its to do with the oil inside breaking down and possibly no relation to the amount of time the parts spend moving?

Off the top of my head Id say the less something is moving the less wear there is going to be on the moving parts?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement