Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭emo72

hots wrote: »
    Beautiful watch, any idea on model number? I'm always attracted to green-based watches and never had the balls to pull the trigger on one. The Seiko Alpine (? looks like an elf watch to me) is on my list for about 5 years now and is now out of production I believe :rolleyes:

It's a Seiko sumo. Best watch under 500 euro bar none.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭scotchy

blue5000 wrote: »
    Welcome on board, nice watch scotchy, shame about the veehicle:(

Are you kidding? The coolest car so far on the thread.:cool:

Watch model is Seiko SZSC004.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

scotchy wrote: »
    Are you kidding? The coolest car so far on the thread.:cool:

Watch model is Seiko SZSC004.

No, my brother has one, a disco, latest issue is the fuel pump.

458347.jpg

At least we both like Seiko watches, photo taken last christmas day in the 21 yr old LC:)

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,912 ✭✭✭✭unkel

blue5000 wrote: »
    No, my brother has one, a disco, latest issue is the fuel pump.

They make serious off road driving feel as easy as going to the shops. Even for a novice

Apart from that, they are sh1te :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

unkel wrote: »
    They make serious off road driving feel as easy as going to the shops. Even for a novice

Apart from that, they are sh1te :p

Best, most accurate, most concise review of a land rover ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Simce we are doing it, here is my citizen ecodrive in my vitara :)

IMG_20180613_192035_883_zpskybv0nzw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭Homer

emo72 wrote: »
    It's a Seiko sumo. Best watch under 500 euro bar none.

Theres a Sumo up on adverts currently asking €390 if memory serves and i brand new. Might be had for around €350 which is a bloody bargain if anyone is looking for one! I have my eye on something else or I would be replacing the one I sold last year :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

late 2000's Tag Monza Calibre 16 w/ crocodile strap. Got it last Xmas. Love it.

458383.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Recent aquisition and supprising enjoyment of a G-Shock has relegated my autos to the box for the last while. Forcing myself to wear them again, Stowa Partitio on black leather strap today.

43187126115_850925869a_c.jpg

I am not usually into that shape of watch...but that is a stunner. Dial is very classy. I like it a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

I am not usually into that shape of watch...but that is a stunner. Dial is very classy. I like it a lot.
    Was thinking the same, its one of the only Monaco iv seen that i thought "id wear that"

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

I know some of you might think I'm a bit crazy but I have traded in my Explorer 1 for an Oyster Perpetual 114300 in black.  Try as I may, just couldn't get my head around the Mercedes hands. After that, the OP is 95% the same as the Explorer, the only real difference being the bezel is slightly more rounded. The black dial has a shimmer off it that is hard to capture in photos, and there seems to be less light reflection on the glass, something that was very noticeable on the Explorer (although that could all be in my head if they're both the same glass). The lume is good too. Anyway, photos below - if they're too big or too many, please feel free to delete as required.
    Explorer 1
    IMAG0SMLL_zps8jqpapff.jpg
    OP
    IMG_1968_zpssxk9rjqy.jpg

IMG_1969_zpsrnp0ie97.jpg
    IMG_1972_zpsglanqvfg.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

TBH I have never been a fan of Mercedes hands. I dunno why as I do like the similar enough cathedral hands.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭893bet

114300 is pure class. Very under the radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

I've rarely looked at a Rolex and thought to myself, I'd really like that, but that is a lovely example OP.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

+1. What I personally like about it is it's not a Divers watch, or trying to be, or Military. Or gaudy for that matter. It just is. It's a solid, extremely rugged without telegraphing it, beautifully made, high quality "Man's watch". My fave Rolex's would be either the very early Oysters from the 1930's, or the UK Military Sub(with the original Omega style hands), or the Rolex steel cased man's watches from the 40's and 50's. With the exception of the Sub for all the reasons above. Carltonbrowne has one such 50's(?) example and it's a beauty in the flesh. I like the Grand Seiko's for the same reasons.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Having worn a Speedmaster for years I was wary of the 39mm size, but it really works well for me. One reason I like the Speedy so much is because of its legibility - so many watches are not as easy to read as they should be - and I find this OP very legible indeed, more so even than the Explorer. It's a solid watch, there's a noticeable heft to it and a distict 'clunk' when it hits something. It's not the most exciting watch in the world, but I see it more of a solid performer: it'll do nothing more than tell the time, but it'll do it accurately and probably for ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭Homer

It's a solid watch, there's a noticeable heft to it and a distict 'clunk' when it hits something.

You what now :eek: :eek: :eek:
    I get a bit antsy if I hit my Seiko BFK off something :pac:

I try to regard the clunk as a reassurance that the watch is solid more than a reflection of my seeming inability to stop whacking it off things.
    Homer wrote: »
    You what now :eek: :eek: :eek:
    I get a bit antsy if I hit my Seiko BFK off something :pac:

Aaaages ago now in my admittedly odd quest for early quartz stuff from the 70's I got one of these, "brand new" unused with hang tag and caseback sticker from Holland IIRC, for under 30 quid. It needed work and I had a spare so...

458753.jpg

Bulova Accuquartz "Centenary" in a gold(plated) shaped like Bulova's tuning fork logo to celebrate their 100 year history as a watchmaker(1875-1975. As an aside pretty much the span of Modernism). Another was the same model in stainless steel. And the one more sought after. Bulova collectors are a dedicated and knowledgable lot, so competition can be strong. I had sourced two heavily used examples, but as luck would have it I sourced another "brand new" unused with hang tag and caseback sticker in steel this time. From Italy. So "new" it still had that plastic blue coating they watches often came with back then(I don't know how I do it TBH. The weird is strong in me.). The spares came in handy again...

458754.jpg

Back case stickers on my earlier spares. About to put the battery in... (Renata 344)

Et Voila! :)

458755.jpg

The clasp.
    458758.jpg

It's quite literally a brand new time capsule. And on the wrist.

458756.jpg

The dial is a lovely metallic blue, though oddly the gold example looks less 70's and oddball. I'm gonna put the same 70's-tastic velour(Yeah Baby!) band on it I did with the gold example, only in blue, to preserve the original leather one.

I bloody love the interwebs. You can kinda get into a time machine on occasion and buy a brand new thing you could have got many decades ago. All of the above price wise? 250 quids all in. Though as I say I am weird and so are my tastes. :D

I will say these are crazy accurate for the time, and even now. Though Bulova reckoned under three minutes per year, my examples have all been well under a minute per year, more like 10-20 seconds per year. The cool thing is that these particular early quartz hum and the seconds hand sweeps extremely smoothly. They're a later in the game solution for a stepping motor that uses a tuning fork(which Bulova invented in the Accutron) instead of the one tick per second of the usual quartz movements. The Beta 21 and Longines UltraQuartz runs the same setup, though the Bulova IMHO is the most robust of the lot.

Apologies for the looooong post. I had a few ales after a spot of fishing earlier so am as hyper as a toddler who just found their Ma's choccy stash. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

I know some of you might think I'm a bit crazy but I have traded in my Explorer 1 for an Oyster Perpetual 114300 in black.  Try as I may, just couldn't get my head around the Mercedes hands. After that, the OP is 95% the same as the Explorer, the only real difference being the bezel is slightly more rounded. The black dial has a shimmer off it that is hard to capture in photos, and there seems to be less light reflection on the glass, something that was very noticeable on the Explorer (although that could all be in my head if they're both the same glass). The lume is good too. Anyway, photos below - if they're too big or too many, please feel free to delete as required.

Do you miss the explorer?

Which wears smaller?

Where did you buy it?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm thinking about maybe buying one of these two watches.

I think the op dial is nicer myself.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Wibbs your long post put a smile on my face:D. I know it's a bit of a cliche on watch fora/forums(?), wear them in good health and enjoy them.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭893bet

Omega....official time keeper for the hurling final!

Come on Limerick!!!!!!

11vpuhe.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Ionised

New arrival.

29191244747_31f2fb1a19_b.jpg

They both wear the same as they're exactly the same cases and the bezel is the same size too. I like elements of both watches - the straight edge bezel is good on the Explorer and the easylink extension was very handy; the stick hands and indices on the OP are nice though. I don't miss the Explorer.

I bought both watches from a guy in Spain - he has an office and I popped into him when I was there a few weeks ago. A sound guy who spent five years working in Ireland. I think he's on Chrono24 as Watches Norte and he has his own website too.

6F46F02E-CF5F-4172-9C76-260B74B4F66C_zpsxyqmjhzn.jpg
    2shea wrote: »
    Do you miss the explorer?

Which wears smaller?

Where did you buy it?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm thinking about maybe buying one of these two watches.

I think the op dial is nicer myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Presume you bought them new then? You mind me asking how much each set you back?

Yep bought new. Explorer was €5,100 but it's more expensive now I think.

OP was a deal with the Explorer but if you email Jordi he'll give you a price for it [watchesnorte@gmail.com]...I honestly can't remember what it is new from him.
    VW 1 wrote: »
    Presume you bought them new then? You mind me asking how much each set you back?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭emo72

Not only does wibbs show is a picture of his watch, he gives the history of the company, shows us the working of the watch, tells us where to find them, how much they cost. The complete service!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Terrible photo, but I decided to bite the bullet and not keep adding to the collection, so sold up my Seamaster and 2 Tudors and replaced them with this:

43295476235_8977c122ca_n.jpg

• Advertisement

Nice Eoin, a classic piece and keeper IMHO.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement