Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

At the time of purchase it came with the option of rubber strap or nato strap. Like a dope I chose both on rubber instead of one on rubber and one on nato. It's typical that every spare strap I have is 20mm. I'll have to buy a few cheap 18mm nato's now.

Actually that wasn't a dopey decision at all :D
    Once you've put that watch on a nato, you will find that on the narrow 18 mm strap it looks a bit off in its proportions ...the rubber with the extra width just at the lugs suits it much better.

Cheap nato's are much easier to find than cheap rubbers with the notch.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

peasant wrote: »
    cheap rubbers
    Yep, I am that puerile P. :D

A few weeks back I went looking for a strap so I could preserve the original NOS one I had attached to this watch.

mkw6cx.jpg

I don't like "drawer queens" and have to wear my watches so… Anyhoo, I found one, a NOS Canadian made Bulova Accutron branded "Corfam" faux suede strap from the early 70's. Faux suede could only be of that time. :D

360978.jpg

And here it is on the wrist;

360977.jpg

I tried to go for as 70's a background as I could. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

peasant wrote: »
    Actually that wasn't a dopey decision at all :D
    Once you've put that watch on a nato, you will find that on the narrow 18 mm strap it looks a bit off in its proportions ...the rubber with the extra width just at the lugs suits it much better.

Cheap nato's are much easier to find than cheap rubbers with the notch.

I usually stick a 20mm NATO on watches with 18mm lugs. Bit of a squeeze but looks better to me than the 18mm straps.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

I usually stick a 20mm NATO on watches with 18mm lugs. Bit of a squeeze but looks better to me than the 18mm straps.

I've tried that but just can't get on with it. Each to their own, I suppose.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Aye, if anything I prefer to undersize a strap. Looks more "vintage" as I've noticed quite the number of vintage watches with straps that were upgraded around the same time are undersized.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    Aye, if anything I prefer to undersize a strap. Looks more "vintage" as I've noticed quite the number of vintage watches with straps that were upgraded around the same time are undersized.

Certainly worked for Sean Connery :)

Does that Bulova have the sweeping seconds Wibbs?

It does indeed. It basically has an Accutron movement(218?) with a Quartz canister and chip instead of the usual circuitry, that uses the forks as the stepping motor. Their role as the timekeeper/oscillator no longer required. It was a very canny and clever way for Bulova to get into the then very expensive new world of quartz without breaking the bank or having to retool existing production.

x5zsm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭gucci

Introducing my lovey new eone Bradley watch. It's a braille watch, thankfully I am not blind and get to admire this every time I pick it up.

361393.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

gucci wrote: »
    Introducing my lovey new eone Bradley watch. It's a braille watch, thankfully I am not blind and get to admire this every time I pick it up.

These are cool. i have seen them before, but only in the silver colour. I can't remember which ball/ring shows what. Inner ball does hour and outer is minutes ?

That is one hella cool watch G.

• Advertisement

These are cool. i have seen them before, but only in the silver colour. I can't remember which ball/ring shows what. Inner ball does hour and outer is minutes ?

Inner is minutes and outer is hour. I think the black is a recent addition and they now have a silver with gold segments. Feels like a proper precision instrument, I love it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Inner is minutes and outer is hour. I think the black is a recent addition and they now have a silver with gold segments. Feels like a proper precision instrument, I love it.

One feels the color options might be less popular for a watch like that...
    What I'm interested in, can you move the balls by being a bit clumsy? Or are they designed to be immovable by outside forces?

One feels the color options might be less popular for a watch like that...
    What I'm interested in, can you move the balls by being a bit clumsy? Or are they designed to be immovable by outside forces?

They generally stay in position, but you can push them off the magnetic hold quite easily at the same time with a gentle bump. (I guess people who can read braille are used to having a sensitive touch and would feel for them softly)

For example some times when I pull back my shirt sleeve the inner (minute) one may get displaced....but its easy to notice as you can see the ball actually rolling or moving, but with a little flick of the wrist the bearings just rotate around and lock back into position.

There are probably videos on youtube showing what I mean.

They generally stay in position, but you can push them off the magnetic hold quite easily at the same time with a gentle bump. (I guess people who can read braille are used to having a sensitive touch and would feel for them softly)

For example some times when I pull back my shirt sleeve the inner (minute) one may get displaced....but its easy to notice as you can see the ball actually rolling or moving, but with a little flick of the wrist the bearings just rotate around and lock back into position.

There are probably videos on youtube showing what I mean.

Ah, i get it! Yeah, magnets, bitches!
    Very clever, I thought the balls were connected to the mechanism, which wouldn't make sense. I like it even more now.
    I would always be interested in watches displaying time in other ways than traditional analog or digital watches.

Ah, i get it! Yeah, magnets, bitches!
    Very clever, I thought the balls were connected to the mechanism, which wouldn't make sense. I like it even more now.
    I would always be interested in watches displaying time in other ways than traditional analog or digital watches.

Haha, that gave me a chuckle!

I would recommend this if you are looking for something different, the materials and finishes have a feel of real quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭dancrowley

I've one of these, too, from the Kickstarter campaign. I've posted about them in another thread. It looks fantastic in black! Well wear! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Latest

Steinhart OVM - Mark 1 - Lovely..

IMG_0773_zpsvk18fj6p.jpg

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Ohhh me likey. :) Especially avec the Omega hands style a la the MilSub.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Me also likey, you had one before DT didn't you? Or was that an ocean one black?

I'm tempted to pull the trigger on a new one. I'm still 50/50 on the OVM M1 v M2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Yes, very 5517
    sparrowcar wrote: »
    Me also likey, you had one before DT didn't you? Or was that an ocean one black?

I'm tempted to pull the trigger on a new one. I'm still 50/50 on the OVM M1 v M2.

Had Ocean One Vintage Red, this one is stunning. M2 is nice, and If I didnt get the MK1, then would have bought it, the MK 1 cost me €30 more than a new MK2. :eek:

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Happy birthday to me! :)

2015-09-10%20Seiko%201024x729.jpg

Very swanky. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

SuperS54 wrote: »
    Happy birthday to me! :)

fantastic piece of kit. Looks impressive. Happy Birthday SuperS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Cheers guys, surprise gift from the missus, I think she knew if consulted it would be yet another chronograph so took matters into her own hands. Not my normal style but very happy with the change! Going through the usual too new to wear phase at the moment.

+1

Nice to see something other than the ubiquitous mercedes hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

SKX007 Today - always looks great in photo's.

2015-09-11%2013.49.12.jpg

Happy Friday!

Diver you say. :)

w86gdy.jpg

^^^
    Daayyymmnn!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Wibbs we are all jealous of your collection, but the OCD ppl amongst us must be itching to twist the bezel pointer round to 12!:eek:

What width is it?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

41mm without crown, 47mm lug to lug IIRC. Chunky at 13mm thick, so wears big that's for sure. Oh and I was actually timing something so… :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement