Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Wibbs wrote: »
    41mm without crown, 47mm lug to lug IIRC. Chunky at 13mm thick, so wears big that's for sure. Oh and I was actually timing something so… :pac:

Where is gets them is whats puzzling me.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭musiknonstop

Happy days! Vostok Amphibia 120 arrived today.

362546.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

This is my Dads watch which he's given to me, it's about 58 years old he thinks. After lying in a drawer for about 20 years it started ticking a soon as it was wound.

Oriosa from what I can gather were a common enough brand in their day nothing special.

Needs a new strap (one of the pins is badly bent) and decent service. At the moment it has be wound twice a day and gains about 3 mins.

p1478643255-3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Found this little beauty in my postbox last night :)

E3KL3w1l.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

French Flag armband?

• Advertisement

French Flag armband?

Or Dutch, depending on how you look at it. I have a navy NATO also but as I'm wearing a navy jumper I thought it might be a bit overkill to combine the too. I find the NATO straps handy for blue dial watches that don't come on a bracelet as they can be hard to match with leather straps. The original 'leather' strap that comes with the Vostoks seems to be made of some godforsaken vinyl cardboard-y stuff and smelled vaguely of wet dog. Lovely little watch though and my first hand winder.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yea blue dials can be hard to match with leather. Light tan seems to work. Those straps made from cork work nicely. Or you can try blue leather, but it has to be a perfect match or it looks odd. Those Russian watches are the bargain of the century IMH. But yea their straps tend to be awful and you'd not like to meet the cow the "leather" came from.. :) I have had some of their rubber straps that were actually quite nice(though I can't get on with rubber straps myself) and out of the hideous bracelets I did source one that's actually pretty good. Made from actual steel as opposed to the usual tinfoil. :eek: :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Found this little beauty in my postbox last night :)

Just wondering what the ransom is and where is the rest of the body...:P:P:P:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

… and from the sublime to the ridiculous…

362764.jpg

It was the 70's and it's French, so what are you gonna do? :pac:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Very cool. For some reason it looks to me like a hybrid between a watch and one of those old Ronson cigarette lighters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

First quick look I thought that's cool I want one. The longer I looked I was thinking no way it's ugly as sin.

Final thought it is cool and really neat but I just couldn't wear one. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

I've been farting around with this one for far too long and finally found somebody who could fix it. It was a close run thing between being fixed and being scrapped but a nice Canadian chap managed to sort it out in the end.

L1290487.JPG
    L1290493.JPG
    A 1921 Urania trench watch in 9ct rose gold.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?109742-Help-identifying-this-movement-not-Universal-Geneve-Oris

Very nice CB. What size case is it? Looks like a 35mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

Close, it's 33mm.

SNIP

Dugena, its German, the day displayed is Donnerstag.

SNIP

Dugena, its German, the day displayed is Donnerstag.
    Aye, well spotted, however it's a LIP made in France sold in the German market by Dugena who were region partners for a few French watch companies at the time.

362800.jpg

Common enough practice in the industry back then. Some Brietling and Blancpain models were actually sold through LIP distribution and shops with LIP branding on the dials.

I actually have a fully French market example of the exact(nearly) same watch. That's how mad I am. :D

Aye, well spotted, however it's a LIP made in France sold in the German market by Dugena who were region partners for a few French watch companies at the time.

Common enough practice in the industry back then. Some Brietling and Blancpain models were actually sold through LIP distribution and shops with LIP branding on the dials.

I actually have a fully French market example of the exact(nearly) same watch. That's how mad I am. :D

Ah, naturellement mon petit filou!
    Entschuldigung. :p

I knew something was up with that! My ex is french and I was asking her yesterday what day of the week started with 'Don'. She looked at me like I had two heads when I said I was trying to figure out why some dude on a watch forum had a French watch not displaying the day in French.

:pac: OK here's the French, most definitely French, oh la la, mon dieu, zut alors one. My spare as it were(the early quartz movement in this one is as flaky as a leper in a head and shoulders advert)

rlhoic.jpg

And yes, they are wonderfully hideous looking. Huge too, like nearly 50mm wide and 45mm tall. Not a shrinking violet at all. :o:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

'Flakey as a leper in a head and shoulders ad' very good, never mind where do you get the watches, where do you get the puns?:)

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

I knew something was up with that! My ex is french and I was asking her yesterday what day of the week started with 'Don'. She looked at me like I had two heads when I said I was trying to figure out why some dude on a watch forum had a French watch not displaying the day in French.

See that wouldn't happen if you had a German girlfriend. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

Nice and simple 2 Liner 14060M

2015-09-20%2012.09.57-10460M.jpg

Very nice snapper. Have to say I much prefer the no date subs.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

Very nice snapper. Have to say I much prefer the no date subs.

Thanks mni. I prefer them too. I found these useful reference's comparing the 14060 series (nodate) with the 16610's (datesub)

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f23/difference-between-subamriner-14060-116610-a-509946.html#/forumsite/20758/topics/509946
    http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=36339

From the Watchuseek link above you can see that the two are very different watches.

"
    ......................... Sub................. Sub Date
    Case Size ........ 39.5mm................ 39.5mm
    Case inc Crown . 43.50mm..............43.60mm (difference could be possible to a higher seated tube)
    Bezel Diameter... 39.5mm ...............40.00mm
    Thickness.......... 12.20mm ..............12.55mm (Sub Date middle case is thicker as is the bezel)
    Crystal Diameter..29mm ...................30mm
    Visible Dial..........25.5mm..................26.5mm
    Lugs.................Holes..................No Holes (since ~2001)
    Hand length.....................same.......
    " - From http://forums.watchuseek.com/f23/difference-between-subamriner-14060-116610-a-509946.html#post3735465

The 14060 also has non solid endlinks versus the 16610's SEL's and bracelets between the two are not interchangeable. Also the bezel on the 14060 is less raised off of the case.

Took this as trade against the Sinn

We both posted same day and within 2 hours of each other. I used PM and got additional cover

His arrived in Ireland Friday and PM had it to me Saturday. He sent it via RMSD - Next day and insured for £2500

Mine, according to the appalling An Post Tracking system arrived in the UK Friday nite at 20:52...and that is the last mention...48hrs ago.

Our system is so archaic it's embarrassing

Anyway... Pic

2015-09-20%2019.33.47_zpszsuhpjdc.jpg

I never really liked Rolex, but for some reason they are starting to grow on me.

I reckon its done to wearing a Steinhart and how nice it is and then thinking about getting the Rolex

Agree, love a no date one...

I never really liked Rolex, but for some reason they are starting to grow on me.

I reckon its done to wearing a Steinhart and how nice it is and then thinking about getting the Rolex

Agree, love a no date one...

I'd say Rolex may be finally getting over an image problem they had since the loadsamoney generation of the 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

I'd say Rolex may be finally getting over an image problem they had since the loadsamoney generation of the 80's.

My problem with Rolex is that I had an ambitious accountant friend when I was younger who was obsessed by Rolex. Now I associate Rolex as a watch for ambitious young career driven people. Oh that, and the crown logo , and the cyclops.

Edit to add - that was in the loadsamoney generation

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

This is my Tissot PRS 516 Quartz Chrono.
    This was awol for a long long time. I purchased this in Portugal in 2005. It was my first "good" watch. The last time I remember having this watch on my wrist was in Las Vegas in 2009. I thought I had left it behind in the hotel . Anyway, fast forward to last week and my dad was clearing my old bedroom and low and behold what did he find.....it fallen down behind an old desk. It was as dead a door nail but now I have a battery back in her and she's ticking away nicely.
    I always loved this watch and I'm glad it's back on my wrist.

2e51itu.jpg

2qvd2mc.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

Very nice. I have the dated window 16610 and kind of wish I had the non date, its a much cleaner look.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement