Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weirdest place you've met a fellow Paddy?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

Travelling to Ayers Rock.
    Visited the only bar for hundreds of miles.
    Went in to order a drink. only to be served by an irish guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭corkhero

Saudi Arabia,

saw a fella with a peoples republic of cork top on.

Very random

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Svalbard

A nickel mine in the middle of Western Australia. Not a tourist attraction, btw, cause Irish people in Oz are a dime a dozen.

Ushuaia, Tierra del Fuego - most southerly city in the world.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

moore street

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

In an El salvadorean jail cell in a tiny town called Perquin. Got arrested for a stupid drunk thing and then i find a fella from cork in the cell beside me. i hadn´t seen any tourists in that country at all. never mind an irish lad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

In an El salvadorean jail cell in a tiny town called Perquin. Got arrested for a stupid drunk thing and then i find a fella from cork in the cell beside me. i hadn´t seen any tourists in that country at all. never mind an irish lad.

lol! I can imagine the two of ye now with a tin cup rubbing it off the jail bars and singing an old rebel song while drinking some vile homemade liquor! Plus he was from Cork lol!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Personally, one of two options.

One was in the not very unusual place of Las Vegas airport, going through the metal detectors. Family going through in front of me, I picked up the accent. I inquired as to where they were from. "Ireland", they replied, obviously not picking up on my own accent. (The American uniform tends to prejudice conclusions, I guess). I explained I figured that much, and asked for further refinement. "Dublin". "Ah", says I. "As am I. Wherabouts?" "Clonskeagh." "Ha. Same here." "Where exactly?" "You know O'Shea's pub?" "Yes, we're right next to it, on Whitebeam Road?" "Good lord. that's where I'm from. What number?" "12" "Huh. I'm two doors up, and across the street..."

The other, I was in my tank in Iraq. Just sitting at the gate of a large base, doing some guard duty. I had a small little tricolour I flew behind the hatch sometimes. (It was common to fly little flags depending on the origins of the crewmen). Convoy departing the base pulled to a halt to lock and load, the gunner of the HMMWV that stopped next to me turned out to be from Tipperary.

Best I've heard of any sort was an incident in 1982 in Lebanon. Israel's invading in Operation Peace for Galillee, and basically driving through the UN checkpoints manned by Irish soldiers. Merkava tank grinds to a halt at the checkpoint, hatch pops open. Chap sticks his head out, and asks in a Belfast accent "Lads, have you by any chance heard how Northern Ireland are doing in the World Cup? I've been away from the news the last few days..." Turned out he had married an Israeli, moved to Israel, and got drafted.

Also in the 'small world' stakes, I was touring around the US on Amtrak, and spent a night in Miami. Didn't like the city much. Was staying in a hostel. Bunk beds. Only hung around the one night, decided to go to D.C. next. The bunk below me was being used by a chap coming back from spending his Summer in the Florida Keys, just staying one night. Turned out he was a classmate of mine from secondary school.
    In an El salvadorean jail cell in a tiny town called Perquin. Got arrested for a stupid drunk thing and then i find a fella from cork in the cell beside me.

That'll take some beating.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

veloc123 wrote: »
    Armin where's the strangest place you have met a Limey..?
    Hey! keep your racial slurs to yourself, if you don't mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭veloc123

Paddy and Spud Picker are racial slurs you flippin hypocrite...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Goes to show there isnt a place in the world we cant get:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I was hiking in the Tatra mountains at the southern most point of Poland where it borders Slovakia, and it's difficult to find someone who speaks English there, let alone anyone Irish, so I asked a guy sitting down in Polish if he knew the way to Morskie Oko - a lake at the top of one of the mountains, and he replied "Jayshush Chrisht, I'm shorry, I don't shpake Polish" ... turns out he's from Kerry, and that there's another 40 Kerrymen hiking around the mountains. Which was gas, as I got to say Dia Dhuit to anyone looking remotely Irish which confused the hell out of them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Hey! keep your racial slurs to yourself, if you don't mind...
    Paddy and Spud Picker are racial slurs you flippin hypocrite...

Take it to PM.

Mod: When I said take it to PM, that's exactly what I meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Mod: When I said take it to PM, that's exactly what I meant.

Armin_Tamzarian = owned

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

Was in Koh Tao in Thailand. We were staying in a pretty remote part of the island, there were about 10 bungalows. The only way to get there was on the back of a 4WD.
    When we were coming back to the main part of the island to leave, there were a guy and girl, not only from Ireland, but they grew up about a mile from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

df1985 wrote: »
    from 4:35 in this snoop dogg video see can ya spot the guy in the offaly jersey playin with the band-weirdest place ive seen a paddy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLsx1kDKEzQ

I've noticed that before. Good to see people from Offaly being removed from the country. One closer to Cowen!

twinytwo wrote: »
    Armin_Tamzarian = owned

Why? because a Mod deleted one of my posts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

In Haut Bay, Capetown. The two of them just took one look and knew without us opening our mouths!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Doubs

On top of a glaciar in New Zealand... and I met 6, not 1!

Was ambling along at the back of a group of 9 or so minding my own business taking photo's and thought to myself that it's strange there wasn't any Irish in the group (had become accustomed to meeting them everywhere else!).

By the time we were at our peak I'd spoken to most of the group, and sure enough, 6 were Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

One was in the not very unusual place of Las Vegas airport, going through the metal detectors. Family going through in front of me, I picked up the accent. I inquired as to where they were from. "Ireland", they replied, obviously not picking up on my own accent. (The American uniform tends to prejudice conclusions, I guess). I explained I figured that much, and asked for further refinement. "Dublin". "Ah", says I. "As am I. Wherabouts?" "Clonskeagh." "Ha. Same here." "Where exactly?" "You know O'Shea's pub?" "Yes, we're right next to it, on Whitebeam Road?" "Good lord. that's where I'm from. What number?" "12" "Huh. I'm two doors up, and across the street..."

Same thing happened to me in Oz. Was in a nightclub in Byron Bay (small surfer/hippie town about half way up the east coast). Anyway this lad comes over to chat, and he's wearing a Leinster Jersey. Cue me slaggin him about wearing Leinster jersey, and him confessing to having gone to Gonzaga. Me: "Ah my brother went there - where are you from in Dublin?", him: "ah I'm from Clonskeagh" me "ah my too which part?" Him "this place called Laburnum Road", me "ah what are the chances!" - I mean really, you go to the far side of the world, walk into a random nightclub, and get chatted up by a guy that grew up on the same street a few houses up from you!

When we were on the 4 Wheel drive trip in Fraiser Island there were another random 3 Irish lads in our group of nine (who all came from skerries and knew my God-mother!). Anyway first night we stuck up our tents cooked dinner and drank and decided to go explore the other camps on the island. First one we got to we stopped to have a chat with them - for some reason I started talking about McGowans pub in Phibsboro. Next thing one of the lads in the camp pipes out "Ah janey sure my mum owns that place!" Totally random.

There are Irish and Irish infleunces everywhere though. I was in Lagos, Nigeria last year with work - and the most popular bar with the ex-pats there is a place called called "Pats bar"! Needles to say there were plenty of Irish there! I was also been driven to the office one day, looking out the window at the chaos that is the traffic system there. Anyway what do I see but a little black kid cycle up beside the car with a Cork GAA jersey on! Was the most unexpected thing ever, and got even more bizarre when his friend cycled up beside him in a Dublin jersey! Ah I wish I'd gotten a photo :-)

• Advertisement

Kork Boy wrote: »
    Exactly, its almost like Irish people going abroad just to spend their time in an Irish bar, makes no sense...

I must say, while I agree with this most of the time, I've been lucky enough to do a fair bit of travelling (am living in London at the moment) and I go to irish bars quite a bit just because their good craic (and known as so around the world). I like meeting people from the country I'm in as does everyone else, but I also like Irish people and the kind of camaradarie we seem to have abroad.

Besides you get to meet the 'locals' in plenty other places apart from bars. My 2c

blondie83 wrote: »
    Same thing happened to me in Oz. Was in a nightclub in Byron Bay (small surfer/hippie town about half way up the east coast).

Cheekey monkeys by any chance? :) Brilliant bar (not Irish!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

rossie1977 wrote: »
    temple bar one saturday night, i couldn't believe it, another irish person in temple bar :eek: he told me he was lost and ventured in there by mistake

What was your excuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

My friend managed to find an Irish bar in the middle of nowhere in rural Uganda. We. Are. Everywhere. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭m3llowship

I'd been hiking through a volcano park on Big Island Hawaii.

Apart from my friend Andrew who was American I hadnt seen a soul for a week. On a beach in Kala'eou I was eating a tin of some awful stuff we had brought as rations, there was a girl leaning against a dead tree. We looked at each other and there was a moment of instant understanding, and then, she said it.................

"Well Boy"
    "Well Girl, where are ya from"
    "Grantstown Park"
    "Jaysis, Im from the Tramore Road"

Not only was she a fellow Paddy, we were both from Waterford and had mutual friends!!!

Armin where's the strangest place you have met a Limey..?

Hey veloc123...
    Seeing as my 'smart' / 'not so smart' comments are getting me into trouble I'll give you a straight response.

Doesn't come under 'meeting' but off the top of my head, the
    strangest place I've seen a 'Limey' would be in Crossmaglen
    standing beside a 'Brits Out' mural with their thumb up posing for a photograph.

The ironing was delicious...

P.S. in order to avoid confusion; any comments I made or will make regarding Paddys, Spud Pickers or Limeys should be taken as being sarcastic...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Inside one of the pyramids of Giza, the great one i think... about 7 years ago. Met some one from the same village as me, in a club in Las Vegas a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I think I seen one in Dundalk once, he was obfuscated by a herd of Romanians at the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Famous45

I moved to London 8 years ago, Im back home now! anyway I moved there and used to go to this irish bar in Cricklewood, there was a plastic paddy chick who took my eye, ended up anyway that I rented a room nearby and she lived in the joint, on the 2nd night we headed out and both of us ended back up in my room going at it all night. A couple of nights later after bonking her every night Im in the bar on a friday evening, in walks the chick with a guy, his name was Alan the same Alan who was a best mate of a best mate of mine when we were younger, turns out the paddy chick and Alan were going out!!!

Ah man :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Skipping along an isolated beach in Iceland (hour off paved road) screeching with my sister about the icebergs we saw I heard a voice behind us go 'ah would ya look at those two fecking gob****es', two lads from Waterford sitting there.

Got onto a ferris wheel in a small town in Germany only to be sat next to a guy I used to fancy when I was 13. :o

Advertisement