Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weirdest place you've met a fellow Paddy?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Terry wrote: »
    You can say he was black. It doesn't make you racist.

The post was in context with the film.
    ie.. he wasn't really Irish.
    javaboy wrote: »
    In the novella he was Irish and white with red hair. Then they cast Morgan Freeman but they left in the line where he says he's Irish.
    I know.
    Hence the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Morgan Freeman is black. He was black in the film too. He didn't do whiteface.

So you go on and stamp your form Sharpy and stop wasting my time. Because to tell you the truth, I don't give a ****.

Wasn't that actually "Rett" in Gone With The Wind?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Wasn't that actually "Rett" in Gone With The Wind?

Damn isn't covered by the swear filter. I said shit.

Terry wrote: »
    Morgan Freeman is black. He was black in the film too. He didn't do whiteface.
    No, nor was he Irish.

The Shawshank Redemption is one of my Top Ten Films,
    (outside of any of John Wayne's.
    The Green Mile coming second.
    Just to stay on topic, John Wayne made a good few Film's with Maureen O Hara, who is Irish.:)
    And yes, I have met her, in Easons where she signed her book for me.

• Advertisement

No, nor was he Irish.

Of course he was. His character was Irish in the book and he says he's Irish in the film.

What are you basing your opinion he wasn't Irish on? :confused:

Damn isn't covered by the swear filter. I said shit.
    Typical, mods can overrule the swear filter.
    You must feel flushed with success.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Hopped on a bus in Yangzhou in southern China last year with my girlfriend and ended up there was a buck from Roscommon on the bus with his girlfriend from Leitrim who was in the same class at secondary school as a good friend of mine! This was after not seeing a non chinese person, never mind a paddy for weeks!!!

Of course he was. His character was Irish in the book and he says he's Irish in the film.

What are you basing your opinion he wasn't Irish on? :confused:
    In the original story Stephen King wrote Red as an Irishman. Morgan Freeman was cast as Red. Although Morgan Freeman is of African descent, and cannot be of true Irish descent, the line "Maybe it's 'cause I'm Irish" was left in the movie.
    So in reality I am right, and in Movie Land you are too.

In the original story Stephen King wrote Red as an Irishman. Morgan Freeman was cast as Red. Although Morgan Freeman is of African descent, and cannot be of true Irish descent, the line "Maybe it's 'cause I'm Irish" was left in the movie.
    So in reality I am right, and in Movie Land you are too.

No you're wrong. He was playing an Irish character. His own nationality/skin colour does not enter into it. Next you'll be telling me Bob Dylan was a woman when Cate Blanchett played him.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Why was this made a sticky? Crap tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

FearDark wrote: »
    Why was this made a sticky? Crap tbh.

Stop talking about your face.

I'm sorry. I couldn't pass that opportunity up.

No you're wrong. He was playing an Irish character. His own nationality/skin colour does not enter into it. Next you'll be telling me Bob Dylan was a woman when Cate Blanchett played him.
    Wayne was an Irish Born American in The Quiet Man.
    It Didn't make him Irish.
    ( Tell me you can see where I am coming from.)
    Separate Film from reality.

/That's all I was doing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I said: Why was this made a sticky? Crap tbh.
    And then you said...
    giggsy664 wrote: »
    Stop talking about your face.
    I'm sorry. I couldn't pass that opportunity up.

Then I said: Wat?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Bumped into a lad from college in the Maracana in Rio. Leading to lots of Brazilians wondering what the fúck we were shouting about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

SeaFields wrote: »
    Fraser Island off western Australia. Now ya know that the world of Irish folk are off to Oz and most of em prob have been on that island but it being 1am, p!ssing out of the heavens and us in an Aborigine camp with several other camps set up around a rainforest setting amble opportunity for a 'singalong' presented itself, I stood up and struggled through "The boys of Kilmicheal" (Cork rebel at heart!). And as the dingo running around our campsite pricked his ears, I could hear in the distance the other camps joining in.

Sheer bliss....

Ahem last time I was there, it was off the coast of Queensland??

Has it moved??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

I know people who have bought them for going away so other Irish people will recognise them!!!!

Good lord that is almost the most pathetic thing I've heard all day. I really don't understand why people go to some far flung places just to find other Irish people. You might as well stay at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Kork Boy

RichTea wrote: »
    Good lord that is almost the most pathetic thing I've heard all day. I really don't understand why people go to some far flung places just to find other Irish people. You might as well stay at home.

Exactly, its almost like Irish people going abroad just to spend their time in an Irish bar, makes no sense...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

RichTea wrote: »

But if you stay at home, you have no stories to tell when you get home about how you met an Irish Guy in a Bar in Botaswana. or whereever!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

At the cape of good hope sitting down on the rocks with my missus. Its the end of their winter so no one is around. Its also pretty breezy and cold. Next thing I hear - Would you take a picture dere please? Two redheads a man and a woman from Cavan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

We met 2 Limerick guys climbing the Great Torture Wall of China at Badaling

Met a couple who know my OH father on a Walking tour in the Swiss Alps

The barman in the Hard Cafe on Grand Cayman is Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

from 4:35 in this snoop dogg video see can ya spot the guy in the offaly jersey playin with the band-weirdest place ive seen a paddy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLsx1kDKEzQ

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Always running into Irish people abroad.Was in a cafe in Amsterdam(no,not that type).And the fella running it was from Dublin.Like wise,went into a bar in Lisbon last year and it was being run by a Leitrim man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭twinytwo

RonMexico wrote: »
    Ran into my neighbour walking down a street in San Francisco. What are the odds of that happening?

Its called stalking:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

J.S. Pill wrote: »
    I met a guy from the arse-end of nowhere in the midlands in a really hip bar in New York.

Hor the F**k did he get in??

Nuff said.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

i met an irish man in the dole queue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

D-Generate wrote: »
    Alas we are doing our heroic vocation of spreading our fine culture to the uncivilized plebs around the world instead.

I trust that means you visit third world countries as well and demonstrate how things could be worse?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Irish guy who was the chef on one of the maldives islands we were on honeymoon on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭veloc123

Armin where's the strangest place you have met a Limey..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

Barman from Finglas in JJ Murphy's Pub in Prague

Advertisement