Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weirdest place you've met a fellow Paddy?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Under the big needle in Toronto. Turned out your man was from just up the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭1huge1

Selm, NRW, Germany, small local pool in a realtively small town, was 11 at the time and the people ahead of me in line from the slide happened to be from Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Myself and the missus had been travelling for the last year and i dont think there was anywhere we didnt meet irish people.
    the strangest though was in noosa australia waiting for a bus out to steve irwin's zoo when i notice someone waving at me. turned out to be a girl i'd worked with before heading off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Have travelled a lot and met irish everywhere. Most recent was in Cape town one night at our local restaurant, of 12 people sitting on the terrace only one was not Irish, my girlfriend:) That was from 4 seperate tables, none of whom knew eachother.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

I was sitting in a bar in Crete and was tapped on the shoulder.
    Looked around it it was my brother who I hadn't seen in months:eek:

We were both off travelling the world and just happened to be in Greece at the same time.
    If my brother hadn't stopped in to use the toilet we wouldn't have seen each other again for another 6 months

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I was motoring from Harare to Mutare and on to Leopard Rock Golf Course when I needed a shíte pronto.

Pulled into a hotel in Rusape and dumped a super sour, and reckoned I could do with a cold beer, as the fcukin heap of shíte I was driving was struggling badly on the undulating roads.

Ordered a cold Zambesi and the barman says "Fancy some jiggy jiggy, big boy?"

Might do, says a surprised Flutt "Is she clean and free?"

"Rode her meself boss" says the barman,"neither scab nor aid on her, clean as a whistle"

"Giz a gander at her horse" says I, "and I presume she is smoked and well done"

"No fcukin way boss" says the barman, "chicken breast here, white as a fcukin sheet"

"Jaysuz that's a pity" says I,"anyway whizz her out her and we'll have a look,I'll pay in US"

"Stand by there Cap'n" say he, "I'll get her down, plenty of meat on her now, good ripple on her arse"

The Flutt took a slug of the beer and next thing out comes this white girl lookin' in the pink :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

"Cecilia!!! what the fcuk are you doing down here ,I thought you were working for Concern up in Zambia"??

Next door neighbours wifes sister who I had met several times in Ireland:eek:

Made my excuses and left in a cloud of black cheap petrol smoke in an underpowered mazda 323.

jaysus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

Yesterday outside the Allianz Arena in Munich Germany after watching Bayern Munich defeat Hannover 96 5-1. I was wearing my Kerry GAA rainjacket which looked like Hannover 96 and was getting taunted so I said out load I'm Irish goddammit only to hear me too from behind!

Also on a Bus to the Grand Canyon last year, met a Dublin guy and his girlfriend and they said whats the weather like in Kerry, my accent being the giveaway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

I saw an Irish person on Parnell St. yesterday! How mad is that?!
    Next I'll be bumping into freckly red-heads out in Rush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 superman24

was in the nou camp wi a mate watchin barcelona, we walked out from inside,behind goals, tryin to figure out where our seats where, an this stadium holds like over 100,000 ppl wit loads of different entrances, an we`re standing there an this guy shouts out my name from behind me!! its only an old football manager haha says hes over scouting for my replacement haha!couldnt believe it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

I was driving through Carlow Town many years ago.
    I broke down and needed a push start, 2 drunks staggering home from the pub happily oblidged.
    1 year later I bumped into the same two drunks in a bar in Gran Canaria.

I love coincidences like that, the whole 6-degrees of seperation sort of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

mumhaabu wrote: »
    Yesterday outside the Allianz Arena in Munich Germany after watching Bayern Munich defeat Hannover 96 5-1. I was wearing my Kerry GAA rainjacket which looked like Hannover 96 and was getting taunted so I said out load I'm Irish goddammit only to hear me too from behind!

Also on a Bus to the Grand Canyon last year, met a Dublin guy and his girlfriend and they said whats the weather like in Kerry, my accent being the giveaway!

I was just taking the piss out of ya. You do know I'm not Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Ran into my neighbour walking down a street in San Francisco. What are the odds of that happening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭illiop

Visiting a few friends in a Lueven, Belgium last year and it was paddy's day so we decided to head to the local irish bar. Being Paddy's day it was packed so we decided we'd just go back to their apartment and chill. On the walk back we passed this kinda quaint looking pub and said we'd stop there for a drink. The only other people inside were two boys from Killkenny who also had a originally planned on going to the Irish bar.
    Also once ran into a teacher in Boston.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

while i was walking through benidorm hoping to find my spiritual fortune, i happened upon these two at it in the dunes! she was irish, had an irish name too, Queen-mise to be exact.
    he said he was from the kingdom, and liked to do sudoku,said that's where he got his nickname COLROW:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

On a big hike in Yosemite National Park in California we were following a trail and getting near a camp when two hikers were approaching us in the opposite direction. Knowing that they had come from the next camp I asked them how long left to go and then in the thickest Cork accent they replied "another hour". Turns out they only lived about a kilometer away from me. If all us Cork people came home on the same day I would imagine it would be hte biggest city in Ireland. Alas we are doing our heroic vocation of spreading our fine culture to the uncivilized plebs around the world instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I met a Paddy on the tube in London. I nodded to signal that I knew by his farmer tan that he was of the Kerry region. We did not communicate as 2 Irish lads in the same place in London at the same time is kind of suspicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Blarney92

Met a load of Irish including my leaving cert maths teacher on a beach in Vancouver last summer. It was fairly obvious we were Irish- playing hurling on the beach and shouting in big cork accents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

I met one lad from Dublin over in Lourdes during the Summer at the International Military Pilgrimage. Myself and the lads were walking past a couple of lads from the French Foreign Legion, as we walked passed we gave them a nod just to say hello... Then we were greeted with a "What's the story lads?" from one of them. Needless to say it was the last thing we expected to hear from any of them :p

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Fallen Buckshot

Sssshhh yer blowin the covers off it .. we are ta take over the world ya know

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭X-Calibre

Met a lad who lives a few minutes away from me while I was on a trek in Peru. Then it turned out there were about 7 other Irish people on the trek who were all travelling on their own.

We're everywhere

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

mumhaabu wrote: »

I was at the Allianz Arena yesterday aswell!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Barbieliveshere

In a market in china...lookin at some fake abercrombie jumpers talking to a friend when all i hear is... "jayssuss thats an irish accent if ever i heard one.. what are yee doin over here??".... also walked down an escalator over there to see a chinese woman shouting dia duit at me... seems other students had thought her some irish... well dia duit and póg mo thón :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

I was in Lake Bled in Slovenia a few years ago and myself and my mate went drinking with some locals just outside the town. At about 3am we started a sing song and I was giving another terrible rendition of "Monto" when someone stuck her head out an upstairs window of a house and said "change the fúcking tune".

Turned out she was from Glasnevin and didn't think I was much of a singer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭steo87

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    In an Irish bar in the middle of New York, we met a barman wearing the jersey of our local GAA club. Not that random a place to meet another Irish person, but one from the area of and wearing the jersey of a local GAA club was quite remarkable.

I once saw a black man wearing a Laois GAA jersey in......Tijuana, Mexico! Was feckin' hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

steo87 wrote: »
    I once saw a black man wearing a Laois GAA jersey in......Tijuana, Mexico! Was feckin' hilarious.

Irish black guy in Mexico..... it wasn't Red from the Shawshank Redemption was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

No ,he (Freeman in the film, was of african descent.

See, no pun

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

See, no pun
    You can say he was black. It doesn't make you racist.

In the novella he was Irish and white with red hair. Then they cast Morgan Freeman but they left in the line where he says he's Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Bumped into a lad from school in one of those outlet stores in Florida.

Met another old school friend in the pisser in Rome Airport.

I'd love to have a story about Irish people in Australia but frankly there's nothing random about seeing Paddy's over here. They're everywhere.

• Advertisement

Doesn't make him Irish.

Are you calling him a liar? I'm shocked. Red was a man of utmost integrity. Ok he's made a few mistakes what with the murdering and all but if he could go back and talk to that young stupid kid who committed that terrible crime , he would. Talk some sense into him. Tell him the way things are. But he can't. That kid's long gone and an old man is all that's left. He's gotta live with that

So you go on and stamp your form Sharpy and stop wasting my time. Because to tell you the truth, I don't give a ****.

Advertisement