Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weirdest place you've met a fellow Paddy?

Options
  • 08-03-2009 1:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭

What's the weirdest, most-unexpected, most-unlikely place you've encountered a fellow Paddy?

Mine has to be at a remote station in the Antarctica.
    The place was full of European, research scientist types and eh me.

I was in the internet room late one night, there was only one other person in the room.
    I regret to say that I was after a rather large meal and I eh, dropped one.
    The other bloke in the room turned around to me and goes
    "ya bleedin dirt bird"....

Couldn't believe it.
    He introduced himself as Joe from Ballyfermot...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

temple bar one saturday night, i couldn't believe it, another irish person in temple bar :eek: he told me he was lost and ventured in there by mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Mine has to be at a remote station in the Antarctica.
    I regret to say that I was after a rather large meal and I eh, dropped one.
    The other bloke in the room turned around to me and goes
    "ya bleedin dirt bird"....

What a way to break the ice. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I'm Irish, not a paddy.

ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

javaboy wrote: »
    What a way to break the ice. :o
    Weak.... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Not so much the weirdest place but I was walking along a street in Amsterdam one night when I heard a large ' HOWYA ' come from across the crowded street followed by my nickname .It seems a fellow from schooldays had recognised me :p

A Dublin friend who served with the british army in Bosnia was telling me about the time his truck got bogged down in the snow and while waiting for assistence , a large convoy of the BA' s finest was overtaken their stationary Vehicle including some warrior tanks , when a head popped out from the turret and in the broadest Dublin accent shouted at the lads '' Gerupp ya bollix '' :D

• Advertisement

ClioV6 wrote: »
    I'm Irish, not a paddy.

ffs.

Sshhhh, it's what they call us...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I used to be a chef in cornwall...england i was walkin home after my night at work and this homeless guy stoped me i had my head phones pulled them out and said huh ? In a thick sligo asked for change i was 2 mins from my restaurant... said stay here walked back in got a doggy peaper plate and a large take away cup of tea 20 smokes, and handed it to him and there was a dude from dublin there who was'nt homless so the 3 of us sat at the side of the street talkin for 4 hours :D...

Most evenings after work i made shore he was feed well :).....

never gave him money

• Registered Users Posts: 45,313 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

In mcdonalds

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

In a sex museum in Prague. It was nothin kinky it was a big tourist attraction!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Fraser Island off western Australia. Now ya know that the world of Irish folk are off to Oz and most of em prob have been on that island but it being 1am, p!ssing out of the heavens and us in an Aborigine camp with several other camps set up around a rainforest setting amble opportunity for a 'singalong' presented itself, I stood up and struggled through "The boys of Kilmicheal" (Cork rebel at heart!). And as the dingo running around our campsite pricked his ears, I could hear in the distance the other camps joining in.

Sheer bliss....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Across a cafe in Afganistan, on a kibutz, in an underground place far, far down in another country to name three.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Everywhere in New Zealand - seriously, everywhere I've visited over the last 9 months there has been another Irish person around. We're like a disease.

I actually read an article in the paper here that the top two countries that had the highest percentage of their population living outside that country was Ireland followed closely by... New Zealand, so I don't feel too bad for there being irish people everywhere here!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

My parents visited some friends living in Malta last year and they went out on a boat trip to some hard to get to cliffs on a tiny island. My mother went for a swim beside these submerged caves with her friend and they decided to swim inside while the boat waited outside for them.

When they got inside they heard "go on will ya just feckin do it" "no **** off I'm not let's feckin go". There were two random lads from Wexford with a tiny boat in this random isolated cave of Malta. The perfect example of how you can and probably will find Irish people everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

In Ulster Bank. I thought we would have all had jumped ship by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭SouthKerry

Mine has to be Inuvik nothern territory Canada population 7,000, 24 hours by car on a unpaved road where a bottle of coke cost $6 and they even have a KFC and Pizza hut there cold not believe it, met 1 of 2 brothers from Sligo own a building firm up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭domkk

the weirdest place a met a paddy was on a ryanair flight she was the stewardess eh. shock to my system too. :eek:

domkk wrote: »
    the weirdest place a met a paddy was on a ryanair flight she was the stewardess eh. shock to my system too. :eek:

Irish Stewardess, don't you have to pay €5 extra for that?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

You're only allowed to call someone a paddy if you yourself are a paddy. Otherwise it's fecking racism.
    That's how political correctness works right?

You're only allowed to call someone a paddy if you yourself are a paddy. Otherwise it's fecking racism.

Cor blimey guv'nor, I should have been more politically correct and used the term 'Spud Picker' instead...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

And the colour of his /her skin wont make a difference either :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭ham_n_mustard

Amsterdam, but under some funny circumstances. A few years ago i met two lads i know from Limerick over there. I went to try and get to see man utd playing parma in the amsterdam tournament. in a shopping centre i saw one lad (a local importer of some heavy class A stuff) going up an escalator. he gave me a funny look and said nothing. i thought this was weird until i met the second lad in a pub. he was wearing leathers, which wasn't too surprising in itself as he was a biker, but he was with some lads dressed as sailors, and i kind of guessed that slua muire weren't on manouevers over there. i got talking to him and it turned out that it was gay pride week. just about then i realised the the first lad either thought i was gay or trying to muscle in on his import business. awkward silence all round when i met him at home in limerick again.

i never got to see utd, but the amsterdam arena looks cool from outside.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

About 8 months ago I was sitting in a bar on an island off Thailand and I heard Limerick's Live 95 fm playing out over the sound system. I met 3 construction workers from Dublin on Alcatraz. I was on a pub quiz team with an Irish chap I knew from primary school in the Drunken Poet in Melbourne. I took some Cork fella's picture in the Nou Camp stadium. Irish people just seek out each other I reckon. You can get a great sense of camaraderie when meeting up abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

ClioV6 wrote: »
    I'm Irish, not a paddy.

ffs.
    Oh yes you are a paddy - seeing as you're Irish. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I was going up a cable car with seven other people at Cape Point in January '07. Three of them had arrived in a car with me (one from Wexford, one from Belfast, one from Glasgow). The other four were tourist randomers I'd never met before and wouldn't again. With six billion on the planet and the usual normal distributions of people, odds were slim that any of the other four knew anything about western Europe. Turned out that two of them were also from Cork and knew my parents.

Cork people are the common cold of the planet - you can't avoid them and they get everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

In a tiny town called Varkaus in Finland. i had just left a shop and was complaining about the guy working in there when someone started running down the street at me yelling "Hi you, hold on".
    Turned out it was a guy from Cork who was living there for a few years and had heard from other foreigners that an Irish guy was working in the local college.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭ham_n_mustard

sceptre wrote: »

Cork people are the common cold of the planet - you can't avoid them and they get everywhere.

and every year, millions of yoyos are spent trying to get rid of them :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

sceptre wrote: »
    But you mean that in a good way, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Cork people are the common cold of the planet - you can't avoid them and they get everywhere.[/QUOTE]

Ha! We will be the last people gracing this planet with our presence simply because we will refuse to die out....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

new paddys eletrical shop in dun laoughiresishorityryosh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

In an Irish bar in the middle of New York, we met a barman wearing the jersey of our local GAA club. Not that random a place to meet another Irish person, but one from the area of and wearing the jersey of a local GAA club was quite remarkable.

Advertisement