Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

h3000 wrote: »
    Wow I'm shocked to hear that. I always seen it as authentic Thai food, most of their people are Thai but I stand to be corrected on that. I've never had the opportunity to go to Thailand.

I think the Thai Gourmet is every bit as good as Kaya. I look forward to trying the new place though.

You know what you like, I'm sure many others like the Thai Gourmet also. I always found it very bland.
    I absolutely love Thai food, have been to the country a couple of times and threw myself into their food culture while I was there, I love cooking thai food at home also. Often when I was in Dublin or Cork I would get decent enough thai food over the years, tried Thai Gourmet loads and loads of times and while the food was often tasty enough it never satisfied me as a thai meal. I remember being really impressed when Aroi opened with a Thai Influenced menu and similarly when Kaya opened, I think it's no coincidence that these places have been mentioned far more often on here than Thai Gourmet, or that they are busier.
    But I would encourage people to try places for themselves, as I said the food in TG isn't terrible by any means, just a little bland IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Just a word for JP clarkes as I saw it mentioned here recently. Have eaten there for Sunday lunch which was alright. But went for an evening meal there the other week and it was divine. Steak really tender. Beautiful. Had to be rolled down to durty nellys :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Went for lunch in Da Vincenzo in the George today.. stunning meal, terrific service..
    Honestly one of the best in the city!!

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

Tried Khing Thai for lunch yesterday and was really impressed.

I'm not a fan of Kaya at all (much prefer Bambu across the road) so can't back up the comparisons but I'll definitely be trying Khing Thai again.

The food was tasty (default level of spiciness seems to be pretty high across the board which is fine by me), good value and staff were really lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

I'm not a fan of Kaya at all (much prefer Bambu across the road) so can't back up the comparisons but I'll definitely be trying Khing Thai again.

The food was tasty (default level of spiciness seems to be pretty high across the board which is fine by me), good value and staff were really lovely.

• Advertisement

le_girl wrote: »

Great to hear, it seems to me that it could be a very good restaurant in a terrible location, for that reason I think it's important to give it even the tiny boost that a good review on here will.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭squonk

I live round the corner so I'm delighted that Kingh Thai is so near me. I've been twice. Both times were excellent. The food is really top notch. I'd be going more often but I'm really cutting back on my takeaways but they'll get the nod whenever I want one now. Friendly, good value and great food. Well worth a look. I hope they stick around long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

I got a take away from Khing Thai on Saturday. Nasi Goreng and a Beef red curry. Both really good. I'd agree things are a little more spicy than Kaya which isn't necessarily a bad thing in my book! I actually found the last takeaway I got from Kaya a bit bland which is what prompted me to try this place.

I haven't eaten in so can't really comment on service other than the lady who was sorting out the takeaways was very pleasant and the food was quick and fresh.

They really need to get a website with their menu etc on it sorted if they want to increase footfall. The only info on the place is on this thread a few tripadvisor reviews and a sparse facebook page. Even getting photos of the menu on the facebook page would be an improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Bobby Byrnes have taken over the food at Limerick Golf club , very similar menu and price range and very nice food.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

You know I was in Bobby last Sunday and I have to say it was average to say the least. It was carvery. Collins way better. I have heard bobbies is good for evening menu. Disappointed by the sunday menu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,152 ✭✭✭✭phog

maryk123 wrote: »
    You know I was in Bobby last Sunday and I have to say it was average to say the least. It was carvery. Collins way better. I have heard bobbies is good for evening menu. Disappointed by the sunday menu.

My last time there I thought it was OK, but just OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

That's saying something if you think Collins serves better food than anywhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Well that's surprising considering how average collins is . Carvery is not something I'd eat given a choice . Bobby Byrnes is imho is at the better end if the scale in pub grub in limerick if not the top.

Mc Love wrote: »
    That's saying something if you think Collins serves better food than anywhere else
    shaka wrote: »
    Well that's surprising considering how average collins is . Carvery is not something I'd eat given a choice . Bobby Byrnes is imho is at the better end if the scale in pub grub in limerick if not the top.

I've been hugely impressed with the food in Collins's and we've been there loads, it's now quite the regular spot for family lunch or early dinner and we don't even live in the area. I'm not a carvery fan but theirs is pretty good, their evening menu is as good as everything bar the very top drawer of Limerick dining (Treasury, Cornstore, Freddies, French Table)
    In my opinion of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Went to Tuscany Bistro up in Castletroy way last weekend. Very small place and gets quite crowded. We didn't reserve a table, which we knew that was a mistake but a lot of people came in were the same and that was fine. However, we weren't too impressed by the service.

The food was absolutely excellent and I could not fault the pizzas but we waited 40 minutes for our table to be cleared and by that time, we were hungry for dessert and very impatient. We got up and just paid since the waitresses kept looking at our table and continued to ignore us. There were people who came in a lot after us, had not reserved a table and still had everything cleared and were served dessert.
    I loved their food and I would have been going again if it wasn't for the poor, slow service.
    Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭coolguyrko

Been on a sort of mini quest to find the best fry up in Limerick. Slightly limited with usually not being awake early enough at the weekends to avail of breakfast times and usually end up going to a couple of places more than once but I've tried
    Bobby Byrnes, Dolans, Crust, Kathys, Caffe Waffle, Sage.
    Bobbys ive not had in awhile but it's okay not great. Breakfast finishes kind of early too. From reading the past few comments I'll weigh in. Carvery isn't the best but is alright but the evening menu food is good if boring (always the same stuff on the menu)
    Dolans has a very nice breakfast and usually quick service. Still wouldn't say it was amazing.
    Crust does have nice food but the fry isn't all that nice, love the service there though.
    Kathys service is a complete mess. Often had to repeat the order a couple of times and still not get the full order. The food is pretty good. Last few times ive had it though it's not been as nice. Good place to eat outside though when the weather is nice.
    Caffe Waffle the place is very cramped. Limited to sitting outside because of having to bring the pram for the little one. Food & service is very good though. Some of it isn't as nice as other parts but the food is still good.
    Sage cannot do a fry. Might as well leave it at that, just did not find any part of it tasty whatsoever. I've had their chicken supreme for lunch though and it was tasty.

The last place I tried was Aroma. Walking down town one day I saw someone eating a fry outside there and it looked really nice so I wanted to try it. Honestly one of the nicest fries ive ever had, every part of the fry was top quality (even the tea & orange juice was better than most places). Portion size was pretty good. Service was good and the price was fair. Still have plenty to try but really was impressed with Aroma and Id think it's probably not as well known for fries so had to put it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭highlydebased

coolguyrko wrote: »

The last place I tried was Aroma. Walking down town one day I saw someone eating a fry outside there and it looked really nice so I wanted to try it. Honestly one of the nicest fries ive ever had, every part of the fry was top quality (even the tea & orange juice was better than most places). Portion size was pretty good. Service was good and the price was fair. Still have plenty to try but really was impressed with Aroma and Id think it's probably not as well known for fries so had to put it up.

I adore Aroma. The Bacon is just :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Any recommendations on a good turkey and ham or beef dinner in the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

coolguyrko wrote: »
    Been on a sort of mini quest to find the best fry up in Limerick. Slightly limited with usually not being awake early enough at the weekends to avail of breakfast times and usually end up going to a couple of places more than once but I've tried
    Bobby Byrnes, Dolans, Crust, Kathys, Caffe Waffle, Sage.
    Bobbys ive not had in awhile but it's okay not great. Breakfast finishes kind of early too. From reading the past few comments I'll weigh in. Carvery isn't the best but is alright but the evening menu food is good if boring (always the same stuff on the menu)
    Dolans has a very nice breakfast and usually quick service. Still wouldn't say it was amazing.
    Crust does have nice food but the fry isn't all that nice, love the service there though.
    Kathys service is a complete mess. Often had to repeat the order a couple of times and still not get the full order. The food is pretty good. Last few times ive had it though it's not been as nice. Good place to eat outside though when the weather is nice.
    Caffe Waffle the place is very cramped. Limited to sitting outside because of having to bring the pram for the little one. Food & service is very good though. Some of it isn't as nice as other parts but the food is still good.
    Sage cannot do a fry. Might as well leave it at that, just did not find any part of it tasty whatsoever. I've had their chicken supreme for lunch though and it was tasty.

Kilmurry lodge, no hassle, they will rustle up anytime no big deal, very reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Tried the new carvery today at The Ardhú Bar on the Ennis Road.

Food was excellent, very tasty, piping hot and nicely presented (Roast chicken with melted cheese and herbs, pepper sauce & the best mashed potato I've had in ages, and buttered vegetables. Will definitely be back there soon. :) Great value at €9.50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Anyone here been to that new barbecue place next to Apache pizza in Henry Street? I only just noticed it last week as I was walking past.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,334 ✭✭✭Tefral

Anyone here been to that new barbecue place next to Apache pizza in Henry Street? I only just noticed it last week as I was walking past.

El Toro?? Its not great...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

cronin_j wrote: »
    El Toro?? Its not great...

That's a pity .I was looking for word to trying this place

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I liked it!! The pulled pork was fab!!

I think the pulled pork was terrible the last time I tried it, I've given that place far too many chances, the only good thing I've ever gotten was the burger, most of the meats are ok, the sausage is disgusting, I hope they've changed it, chips are frozen and poor quality.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I think the pulled pork was terrible the last time I tried it, I've given that place far too many chances, the only good thing I've ever gotten was the burger, most of the meats are ok, the sausage is disgusting, I hope they've changed it, chips are frozen and poor quality.

Yeah the place is incredibly hit and miss. The pulled pork takes like there is water in it and there is nothing on the menu I know for certain will be nice when I visit.

The last time I went in for takeaway, they tried to charge me around 1.50 for some extra bbc sauce. Just a little extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Caher123

Hi,

I want to buy a gift voucher as a thank you present for a restaurant in Limerick. It will be for a couple. Any recommendations? Azure gets good reviews on trip advisor and seen the Corn store mentioned a few times on here.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Caher123 wrote: »
    Hi,

I want to buy a gift voucher as a thank you present for a restaurant in Limerick. It will be for a couple. Any recommendations? Azure gets good reviews on trip advisor and seen the Corn store mentioned a few times on here.

Thanks

Freddy's

• Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭source

Pacifico wrote: »
    Freddy's

Agreed, Freddy's or the French table

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Caher123

Great thanks for the recommendations

Advertisement