Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Badass Burrito best in the country?

Come on now, you can't be serious? :D

They're distinctly average, at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

It took me ages to get around to trying Badass Burritos because I'd heard lots of mixed reviews on here but I think they're really tasty and regret waiting so long to try them.

It's the type of thing that I now end up craving every couple of weeks. They would be the nicest I've had in Ireland and I definitely wouldn't call them average but that just my personal taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Tim76 wrote: »
    Badass Burritos on Catherine St. Best in town and probably the country at that. Run by a very nice San Fran lady.

Whenever it's open

Badass Burritos is run appallingly.

I was delighted to see them opening in Limerick but was quickly turned off for a variety of reasons.

When they opened they were always running out of ingredients. Their hot sauce was as bland as mayo.

They used a microwave for the wraps.

People gave them feedback and were pretty much told to bugger off.

Opening hours seemed to be "whenever we feel like it."

When they moved I passed by there one day when they were closed (middle of the day) and spotted some of their ingredients left exposed in direct sunlight.

Finally, there is nothing special about the food itself. I can make better burritos at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

That's a good summary of all the negative comments in the lengthy thread devoted to that establishment, however there were at least an equal number of very positive reviews, including my own admittedly. We can all make up our own mind without recourse to the historical reasons you outlined, the hot sauce is no longer bland, the microwave is gone, I've never noticed them run out of ingredients, which brings me to your next comment, it seems to me she has indeed taken note of the feedback, or else she always meant to change things and the problems you outlined when they opened were always going to be rectified.
    Finally it is going to take you a long time to make a decent burrito at home with slow cooked meat, beans salsa etc, unless it's an old El paso job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

Maybe I was right in waiting for so long to try them since most/all of those issues seem to have been sorted in the 2+ years that they've been open? Maybe apart from the sometimes irregular opening hours but that doesn't bother me as I always check the Facebook page before calling over just in case.

I've never had a bad experience in there and for me the hot salsa is the best thing they make. I always get an extra bit to have on the side.

I was almost surprised to like the place so much having read all of the above in the original thread but it's one of my favourite places in town now.

First impressions last.

It doesn't bother me one iota that making my own burrito takes time.

Red King wrote: »
    First impressions last.

It doesn't bother me one iota that making my own burrito takes time.

But you've addressed nothing, your post is based on history, almost nothing there now is as it was then. And then you've said that they don't listen to feedback.

Making burritos from scratch is a waste of time and money, if your gonna soak beans and cook them for hours, slow cook meat for 8 or more hours, chop chillies and tomatoes to make salsa etc etc, then you'd be a lot better off making a decent dinner for yourself.

But you've addressed nothing, your post is based on history, almost nothing there now is as it was then. And then you've said that they don't listen to feedback.

Making burritos from scratch is a waste of time and money, if your gonna soak beans and cook them for hours, slow cook meat for 8 or more hours, chop chillies and tomatoes to make salsa etc etc, then you'd be a lot better off making a decent dinner for yourself.

I was explaining why I was put off the place thus why I haven't been back.

I don't care for your reasoning concerning how and why I choose to make burritos at home. You know nothing about me and my circumstances.

I was explaining why I was put off the place thus why I haven't been back.

I don't care for your reasoning concerning how and why I choose to make burritos at home. You know nothing about me and my circumstances.

You don't care about much at all do you. You condemn a place that you haven't been into for years yet you know that their food is terrible, despite the fact that all the problems you had have been addressed.

I know nothing about you but I know enough to know that anybody who claims to be able to make a better burrito at home than what is available in a decent burrito joint (which I consider Badass to be) is more than likely full of hot air and will be convincing themselves that the Old El Paso crap is the bees knees. If I'm wrong and you go to half the trouble that she does then I apologise but I think that you could spend your time more wisely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Dracula!

Does anyone know when coqandbull is opening up ? I am hoping to book for a birthday on the 24th of October.

Why don't you jump down my throat a little further. Jesus Christ :eek:

And I never said that there food was terrible. I said it was average at best. This is a review thread of restaurants. I gave my review and opinion and explained why I have that opinion.

If a restaurant is run appalingly as Badass Burrtos was, then people will leave with a bad impression.

I don't keep returning to an establishment if I have given them my custom and left with a bad impression.

So good for them if they have since improved. As for the rest of your rant condeming me, at least you admit it is based on knowing absolutely nothing about me.

Which is pretty funny given your lecture about being informed before opening your mouth. I think the hot air here is your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Dracula!

Get a room ye obviously have a hard on for each other

Why don't you jump down my throat a little further. Jesus Christ :eek:

And I never said that there food was terrible. I said it was average at best. This is a review thread of restaurants. I gave my review and opinion and explained why I have that opinion.

If a restaurant is run appalingly as Badass Burrtos was, then people will leave with a bad impression.

I don't keep returning to an establishment if I have given them my custom and left with a bad impression.

So good for them if they have since improved. As for the rest of your rant condeming me, at least you admit it is based on knowing absolutely nothing about me.

Which is pretty funny given your lecture about being informed before opening your mouth. I think the hot air here is your own.

I think you gave a crappy review of a restaurant based on nothing except what you found to be the case two years ago, your claims are rubbished by your own words, the reasons you gave are out of date, you admit it yourself, go back and read your initial post before you continue.
    It's probably a small enough percentage of Limerick people that read this but if you are going to give a place a terrible review you will have to back it up, it's not fair on the owner if you are going to say that kind of thing based on what you saw two years ago and claim that it's still the same, especially and I'm sick of saying this) when all the concerns that you mention have been addressed, every single one of them.

You made your point when you said they have addressed the problems.

Everything else from you since then has been little more than throwing a strop like a two year old.

You made your point when you said they have addressed the problems.

Everything else from you since then has been little more than throwing a strop like a two year old.

That's not how it works in my mind, your post was unfair and it dealt with issues that are two years old, you have done nothing to take anything back.
    When you are dealing with a persons livelihood you need to back up your claims,

The microwave thing seemed to bother a lot of people, I don't get it.
    The hot sauce at the beginning may not have been very hot but it wasn't bland.
    I'm done with it now, don't accuse me of jumping down your hroat if you don't defend yourself, this website is for debate as much as anything, if you went into a debate with a two year old argument you'd be screwed.
    This thread is for reviews that are relevant.

You pointed out that the issues have been addressed. So you expect me to then apologise or something?

To anyone reading the thread it is clear that whatever grievences I pointed out have since been rectified. And I think it is absolutely fair to explain that those issues put me off returning there.

But you couldn't leave it there, you had to make catty assumptions and remarks about how to cook a burrito and imply that I only eat Old El Paso rubbish. Then you twisted my words to say that I had slated the place as terrible.

So yes you did jump down my throat in an overly aggressive and condescending manner.

To me it sounds like you have some skin in the game. I hope not because you have no manner for dealing with the public.

Look, I'm sorry if you feel that I have been aggressive, that's not been my intention. I felt your review was unfair based on my own experiences of the place,
    In my defence I got a bit annoyed when you made that post with the bolded words.

I recommend you try out Badass again if you do like Burritos as I'm sure you do. I assure you I have no connection with the place but I honestly think it is very good.

Sorry.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Mod Note: Take it offline lads, its getting personal and its ruining the thread.

Fair enough. I'll drop in again soon and check it out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Like an irish referendum... keep trying until you give us the answer we want to hear!

"Academic politics is the most vicious and bitter form of politics, because the stakes are so low."

Substitute "subjective opinions on something as personal and varied as food" for academic politics and you have this thread!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

We are lucky to have so many good takeaway options in the City. Not exactly fine dining but Centra on OConnell street will have a significantly improved food bar when the expansion work is completed. Burritos on the menu there RK :-D

We don't get takeout often as we live in the city centre but it's hard to beat Chicken Hut :-D

FutureGuy wrote: »
    We are lucky to have so many good takeaway options in the City. Not exactly fine dining but Centra on OConnell street will have a significantly improved food bar when the expansion work is completed. Burritos on the menu there RK :-D

We don't get takeout often as we live in the city centre but it's hard to beat Chicken Hut :-D

Funny you mention, I had a sober Chicken Hut for the first time ever a couple of weeks ago and the gravy was still great stuff.:o

I had a great Mixed doner from the place on Denmark street recently (next to Zwe-Ton), has anybody got a favourite Kebab joint or are they much of a muchness? I would usually go to Turkuaz by the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

Funny you mention, I had a sober Chicken Hut for the first time ever a couple of weeks ago and the gravy was still great stuff.:o

I had a great Mixed doner from the place on Denmark street recently (next to Zwe-Ton), has anybody got a favourite Kebab joint or are they much of a muchness? I would usually go to Turkuaz by the market.

Always Turkuaz for me, the fact that you can assemble it yourself if delivered adds to it. I had a mixed doner from that place on Denmark street recently and found it to be very greasy.

Tasty Bites up by the train station used to do a great doner but i've not had one from there in a while.

Chicken Hut also do a nice Garlic and Cheese fried and their fillet burger is the best bar none.

I tried a takeaway from the new Thai place above the Glen Bar last weekend and I was pleasantly surprised, we had a very nice red duck curry, lovely Nasi Goreng (Malaysian I know) and very decent kids options including a really good and not at all sickly Sweet and sour chicken. Good Thai fish cakes also, from what we had I would rate it as an equal to Kaya.

I returned here for a takeaway last night and it did not disappoint, it seemed quiet for close to 7 on a Friday night, I would urge anyone who likes thai food to give it a try, I've been to Thailand a couple of times and I think that the food from this place could be the most authentic I've come across in Limerick. It's a bit hotter than other places but I'm sure they could tone that down if you asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭timesnewroman

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

I returned here for a takeaway last night and it did not disappoint, it seemed quiet for close to 7 on a Friday night, I would urge anyone who likes thai food to give it a try, I've been to Thailand a couple of times and I think that the food from this place could be the most authentic I've come across in Limerick. It's a bit hotter than other places but I'm sure they could tone that down if you asked.

Do you know the name of this place? Can't find any other references to it online on justeat.ie or those places. Wouldn't mind trying it out as an alternative to Kaya.

Edit: Ignore! I found it on tripadvisor. Its called Khing Thai for anyone else interested. Must check it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Do you know the name of this place? Can't find any other references to it online on justeat.ie or those places. Wouldn't mind trying it out as an alternative to Kaya.

Edit: Ignore! I found it on tripadvisor. Its called Khing Thai for anyone else interested. Must check it out!

Check out the Thai Gourmet too if you want an alternative to Kaya. It's under the White House on Glentworth street.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

h3000 wrote: »
    Check out the Thai Gourmet too if you want an alternative to Kaya. It's under the White House on Glentworth street.

I personally wouldn't recommend Thai Gourmet to anyone. They had the monopoly on Thai food (I don't think their food is genuine thai but that's what they call it) for years and it was only when Kaya and Aroi came to town that people in Limerick realised that South East Asian food is fantastic.

Khing Thai is good in my opinion, it's as good as Kaya, Thai Gourmet doesn't do it for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I personally wouldn't recommend Thai Gourmet to anyone. They had the monopoly on Thai food (I don't think their food is genuine thai but that's what they call it) for years and it was only when Kaya and Aroi came to town that people in Limerick realised that South East Asian food is fantastic.

Khing Thai is good in my opinion, it's as good as Kaya, Thai Gourmet doesn't do it for me.

Wow I'm shocked to hear that. I always seen it as authentic Thai food, most of their people are Thai but I stand to be corrected on that. I've never had the opportunity to go to Thailand.

I think the Thai Gourmet is every bit as good as Kaya. I look forward to trying the new place though.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

Advertisement