Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭gotasmoke

Parchment wrote: »
    Possibly controversial due to its location (this is the Limerick forum) but has anyone been to Gallaghers in Bunratty recently?

I am considering it for a special occasion meal - i have never been there so im looking for any info! Thanks

It's a great seafood restaurant, I've been there several times and would recommend it. When you arrive they will seat you in the "bar" area but if you'd prefer to go straight to your table let them know otherwise they will leave you at the bar for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Possibly controversial due to its location (this is the Limerick forum) but has anyone been to Gallaghers in Bunratty recently?

I am considering it for a special occasion meal - i have never been there so im looking for any info! Thanks

What are the bets the mods move it! They seem to move any discussion about Shannon Airport to the Clare forum, as if it has no relevance to Limerick (when in fact it's hugely relevant to the city), so they'll probably move this on the same basis.

Anyway, I have heard very good things about Gallaghers, but haven't eaten there myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

I'd definitely recommend it its a great restaurant. Make sure your make your reservation in advance because we've had problems before when we left it too late and couldn't get a table.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

It is a lovely restaurant that does everything very well and without too much fuss.
    It wouldn't be my first choice for a special occasion though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭moby2101

It is a lovely restaurant that does everything very well and without too much fuss.
    It wouldn't be my first choice for a special occasion though.

I'd agree with the op, it's a "really good" restaurant but not all that special, depends on the occasion you have in mind I guess...check out 1826 in Adare or the Treasury in Limerick, 1826 is really special, we had an anniversary celebration there recently, best restaurant by a mile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭yogalady

Want to put in a good word for Cobblestone joes. Went there for pizza tonight. 12 euro for 12inch pizza. Amazing! thin base, loads of toppings and so fresh. Will definitely be back!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

yogalady wrote: »
    Want to put in a good word for Cobblestone joes. Went there for pizza tonight. 12 euro for 12inch pizza. Amazing! thin base, loads of toppings and so fresh. Will definitely be back!

You should try around the corner, Papa Ginos. Had a 12 inch Meat Feast pizza for 15 euro. Ham, Sausage, Pepperoni, Black & white pudding, and chicken!! Top it off with his special pepper and it was devine!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

yogalady wrote: »

Had the pizza there too, was gorgeous. Apparently Nancy's are doing pizza too, haven't heard much about it though yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭GreaseGunner

The OH's birthday is coming up in a few weeks and a dinner for 2 is in order :) somewhere in the city or within 20 minutes drive would be ideal.

Taste: Mainly traditional, mildly adventurous and not a fan of oriental.

Where we enjoyed: Chocolat, Marco Polo, La Piccola Italia.

Any recommendations, folks? (Bonus points for value for money and romanticism) :P:D

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭fredo1664

The OH's birthday is coming up in a few weeks and a dinner for 2 is in order :) somewhere in the city or within 20 minutes drive would be ideal.

Any recommendations, folks? (Bonus points for value for money and romanticism) :P:D

Try the French Table maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭kfrp

French table I would recommend too.

The Hamptons is nice too, great T-bone steak if that's what your into and nice surroundings.

It's not particularly cheap but it's not excessive either, I would highly recommend 1826 Restaurant in Adare, sounds right up your street. Look up the website, you will not be disappointed.

I second the French Table in town, great service and excellent food simply done,
    The Treasury comes highly recommended, my wife has been very impressed on both occasions she has eaten in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭yogalady

My suggestion for something different and fab would be Cherrytree in Killaloe or Tuscany. BOth do really good value early bird and are something special

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭FelineOverLord

After reading some very good reviews for Sage Cafe my husband and I had breakfast there on Friday and it was awful. Toast so underdone that it disintegrated to soggy mush when buttered, he didn't even bother trying to eat the second slice. Scrambled egg that was a puddle of wet, chunky slop, veggie sausages that are just supermarket bought bog standard frozen ones and an under cooked tomato smothered in black pepper. We left most of what was on the plates behind us. I would have complained but the service was so bad that I didn't think it would make a difference, so we didn't bother. I'd never go back. Just shy of 17 euro for slop.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

The pizza in Cobblestone Joe's is divine.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭GreaseGunner

Going to go for Hamptons for the OH's birthday, looking forward to it already.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Wallack

How good is the the treasury restaurant?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,334 ✭✭✭Tefral

Wallack wrote: »

Very good. The menu can look a bit daunting but you can tell someone sat down and really thought about how different flavours and textures work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Was in Aroi twice last week , loved it both days .

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

shaka wrote: »
    Was in Aroi twice last week , loved it both days .

Quality place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Went into the Chicken Hut this afternoon. Have to say the amount of Chicken I get in the snack box was very disappointing. I won't be going there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You made the mistake of going in there sober.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Had take away from rene cusacks place in the market. Really tasty. Had the special, which had a huge portion of cod goujons, scampi, calamari, chips and a drink for 9eu.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭KCC

Bannergal wrote: »
    I'm not a Gallaghers fan anymore since they got rid of the wine & dine menu. Their sunday lunch menu is the same menu as the early bird which I don't think offers a great choice.

Ive just been to Gallaghers twice while visiting the area. The first time it was amazing .The second time the service was awful. Was left waiting in the bar for an hour although we had booked weeks in advance. That leaving people at the bar is very annoying.

On Booking I had told them it was a special occasion and had asked for a good table - we then got the worst table in the place. The waitress slammed down our bread onto the table - no friendliness, no eye contact, no awareness of customer service. Never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

Wallack wrote: »

Ate there recently and found the food really really good but it's expensive. I find it really sneaky as well the way a lot of the prices of things are not on the food or wine menu. Herself took the sparking water when asked. I expected a charge but 6.50 for a 750mls bottle was a shock, glass of wine cost e9.50 and a coffee 3.50. It's a bit much. Put your prices up and be transparent to avoid shocks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Had a lovely lunch in Sash, part of the One Perry Square hotel yesterday for just under €100, two starters, two main courses & drinks, drinks alone came to €45/€50

(we escaped from the kids for a few hours for some quality adult time)

KCC wrote: »
    Ive just been to Gallaghers twice while visiting the area. The first time it was amazing .The second time the service was awful. Was left waiting in the bar for an hour although we had booked weeks in advance. That leaving people at the bar is very annoying.

On Booking I had told them it was a special occasion and had asked for a good table - we then got the worst table in the place. The waitress slammed down our bread onto the table - no friendliness, no eye contact, no awareness of customer service. Never again.

I've never understood the popularity of Gallaghers/JP Clarkes. We've eaten there twice and it was a let down on both occasions. The food was mediocre, at best. The service was awful, the tables weren't being cleared and kids were an absolute nightmare, it probably would have been quieter in McDonalds. I haven't been back for a few years and I'd never eat there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

vkid wrote: »
    Had take away from rene cusacks place in the market. Really tasty. Had the special, which had a huge portion of cod goujons, scampi, calamari, chips and a drink for 9eu.

Yes, only place I go now for my fish & chips. Very good quality food from there.

Had a lovely lunch in Sash, part of the One Perry Square hotel yesterday for just under €100, two starters, two main courses & drinks, drinks alone came to €45/€50

(we escaped from the kids for a few hours for some quality adult time)

I've never heard of any other restaurant where the reviews are so mixed, I've heard great things and as many horror stories about it. I've only eaten there when it was very new and it was no more than fine, a little bit stuffy, probably won't ever go back under my own steam.
    I've never understood the popularity of Gallaghers/JP Clarkes. We've eaten there twice and it was a let down on both occasions. The food was mediocre, at best. The service was awful, the tables weren't being cleared and kids were an absolute nightmare, it probably would have been quieter in McDonalds. I haven't been back for a few years and I'd never eat there again.

I really like the bar side JP. Clarkes. If it's a pub you've got to expect a bit of noise from children, I've never seen kids being too unruly in there, food is excellent and well priced.

I see that there's a new Thai restaurant in town, above the Glen Tavern, anybody tried it out yet?

• Advertisement

I've never heard of any other restaurant where the reviews are so mixed, I've heard great things and as many horror stories about it. I've only eaten there when it was very new and it was no more than fine, a little bit stuffy, probably won't ever go back under my own steam.

I really like the bar side JP. Clarkes. If it's a pub you've got to expect a bit of noise from children, I've never seen kids being too unruly in there, food is excellent and well priced.

I see that there's a new Thai restaurant in town, above the Glen Tavern, anybody tried it out yet?

Not at night you shouldn't and frankly I don't believe kids should be in bars.

Advertisement