Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Skuxx wrote: »
    Girlfriend met some friends for lunch today in Ivan's! She said never again! It was horrible! Couldn't even finish a bowl of soup, cappuccino was a cup of milk and she had a sandwich aswell which wasn't great!
    It's a shame really, it has great potential!

+1 Was hoping for good things as there is not many options out that side of the city. It was absolutely dreadful food, and they are charging enough for it.

On the flip side tried the Red Hen in town recently and that deserves a thumbs up. Prices are reasonable and portions are massive!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

wingnut wrote: »
    +1 Was hoping for good things as there is not many options out that side of the city. It was absolutely dreadful food, and they are charging enough for it.

On the flip side tried the Red Hen in town recently and that deserves a thumbs up. Prices are reasonable and portions are massive!

Agreed on Red Hen, was there recently on the spur of the moment and was impressed. Very decent, there's a former Cornstore chef working there I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I got a bag of chips and a batter sausage in the place on William Street, pretty sure it's Enzo's (on the right as your walking up the hill) and they were absolutely lovely, usually go to Luigi's for that kind of thing but my head has been turned.

I notice that forum favourite (but not mine) Papa Gino's has gotten a fancy new sign, could attract some of the punters who would have otherwise dodged it's apparent dinginess, might even venture in myself some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Agreed on Red Hen, was there recently on the spur of the moment and was impressed. Very decent, there's a former Cornstore chef working there I believe.

The pulled pork in Red Hen saved my life during a particularly gruesome post-graduation hangover. It's the business!

I got a bag of chips and a batter sausage in the place on William Street, pretty sure it's Enzo's (on the right as your walking up the hill) and they were absolutely lovely, usually go to Luigi's for that kind of thing but my head has been turned.

Enzo's is amazing. My friend from Dublin goes there every time she's down for the omelette and chips. Their chips are so, so good. Lashings of vinegar and salt. /drools

I believe the chipper in Pallas (that I was looking for the number for) is related to either Luigi's or Enzo's and their food is smashing too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭Paudee

Went to Canteen today to try it out for lunch. Was really looking forward to it. I had the pulled pork BBQ wrap. I was so disappointed, it was 70% lettuce, not much pulled pork, which was so bland....no taste of the alledged 5 spice. Supposed to a bbq sauce with it, I couldn't taste anything at all! Very very bland. My friends wraps were the same, too much lettuce, no flavour. Maybe I picked a bad day?

Had a very similar experience a few weeks back. Met the OH for lunch, really wanted it to be nice and thought the meal looked like great value.

I don't think I've ever been as underwhelmed leaving somewhere. Neither of our wraps actually tasted of anything. Odd in the extreme.

• Advertisement

Paudee wrote: »
    Had a very similar experience a few weeks back. Met the OH for lunch, really wanted it to be nice and thought the meal looked like great value.

I don't think I've ever been as underwhelmed leaving somewhere. Neither of our wraps actually tasted of anything. Odd in the extreme.

The coffee in Canteen is arguably some of the best in Limerick but sadly I had the same experience with a veggie wrap. Very bland even though it was full of good stuff?

The porridge bowl is meant to be lovely though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭Paudee

mud wrote: »
    The coffee in Canteen is arguably some of the best in Limerick but sadly I had the same experience with a veggie wrap. Very bland even though it was full of good stuff?

As it happens I managed to deposit most of my coffee on the ground getting back into my car. Such is life.

Agreed, the wraps really don't make sense, individually all the ingredients are great, decent portion size too when I was there, but the finished product is just so bland. I actually ended up buying the ingredients to make a load of beef wraps after work that day. They were amazing.

Paudee wrote: »
    As it happens I managed to deposit most of my coffee on the ground getting back into my car. Such is life.

That's the saddest thing I've heard today :(:p

I've said a few times on this thread that canteen wraps are underwhelming, BUT, their hot lunches are very good, particularly the Veggie Curry and the meatballs.
    The badger and dodo coffee can be a little bitter for my liking but it is very popular among aficionados.

I noticed that Clover from Bedford row have opened a little place in Raheen by the Ryan's centra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Very hard to choose between them, though Luigi does lovely onion rings while Enzo doesn't do any, buy I'd still happily head to either. Nom nom. Hungry now! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I noticed that Clover from Bedford row have opened a little place in Raheen by the Ryan's centra.

They hope to open in Castletroy as well! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

Popped into Papaz (just off Cruises street) for lunch with the family yesterday. I had the pulled pork flatbread/pitta sambo - huge, delicious, tons of pork and a nice dressing on it, and loved the homemade flatbread. One of the kids had pizza, looked really good and he ate the lot. Daughter had the pasta and tomato sauce and loved it, proper homemade sauce. They also had a slow cooked beef brisket in a pitta on special, saw someone eating that and it looked delicious too. Enjoyable lunch!

Great sambos in Papa'z no doubt, I gave it a nice review here recently, like yourself I had the family with me and the kids were very happy with what they got which is all important.
    I had the brisket that time bit I think it was on ciabatta or focaccia, either way it was very good, well cooked and nice bread.
    I've been meaning to go back and will do so soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Sun King

Went to Clover yesterday for lunch.

Starter was quite good. A nice size (3 satay gai instead of the two in Bambu or Z wee ton). The main was tasty, if not a but gingery and both mains were tiny.

It's a good thing they started to include the starter in their lunch offer because if I was handed that plate for lunch I'd have had a fit :D

All in all, it was tasty but we are better served by Bambu. Even if they serve Fanta instead of club.

Very hard to choose between them, though Luigi does lovely onion rings while Enzo doesn't do any, buy I'd still happily head to either. Nom nom. Hungry now! :D

UPDATE: Enzo now does (very tasty) onion rings :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Went to the cafe in King John's for Breakfast today. Ordered the scrambled eggs with cherry tomatoes and portobello mushroom €6.50. Got a lump of bland scrambled eggs, no mushrooms, no cherry tomatoes and one tomato halved served to each of our group.

Can only describe it as muck to rip tourists off. They need to cop on to themselves.

To be fair the customer service is excellent with friendly staff but my god is the food bad. Nice cup of tea though !

The cakes etc looked fantastic but didn't chance them after the expensive non existent breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Do you still have to visit the castle to use the cafe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

No the gift shop and cafÃ႒© are open to the general public now

I spotted the ad in this week's post so decided to give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

mud wrote: »

The porridge bowl is meant to be lovely though.

I've been getting the roast vegetable wrap there every day for the last week! Love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭turtleshead

Anybody been to either the Copper Rooms or the Urban Vineyard and what are they like for cheese boards / chacuterie? Had a look at the copper rooms website and they seem to offer a good selection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭kfrp

Ate in Dolans Sunday morning with three others.

Three of us had the full Irish, good quality ingredients as in butcher Superquinn style sausages, black/white pudding, beans, tomato, mushroom, thick cut bacon plenty of home-made brown bread and white toast.

One had the pancakes with bacon, maple syrup and berry compote. All was delicious with fluffy thick pancakes. Could have been more pancakes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

Anybody been to either the Copper Rooms or the Urban Vineyard and what are they like for cheese boards / chacuterie? Had a look at the copper rooms website and they seem to offer a good selection.

I've heard great things about the copper room but we haven't had a chance to get there ourselfs yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭moby2101

Copper rooms do a great selection of ham and salami plates,good size portions and very tasty to boot! Definitely worth the money, very chilled atmosphere, a great alternative to the regular pub night out

Another vote for Copper Room. It's a lovely spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Meant to pop in here, I was home last week and had the most amazing 10oz fillet steak in the Texas Steakout. Ohmygod. Outstanding. Cooked to perfection!

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

+1 for Copper Rooms. Great food, wine & atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Tefral

Just noticed on Joe.ie that Rockin' Joes on O'Connell street was hit with a food closure order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭turtleshead

Cheers folks, will give the copper rooms a visit in the next month!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

cronin_j wrote: »
    Just noticed on Joe.ie that Rockin' Joes on O'Connell street was hit with a food closure order.

There's always a fairly rank smell in there so maybe it's to do with that. Surprised they got away with ripping off Eddie Rockets for so long.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

zulutango wrote: »
    There's always a fairly rank smell in there so maybe it's to do with that. Surprised they got away with ripping off Eddie Rockets for so long.

You do realise there's an entire chain of Rockin' Joe's restaurants in this country, yeah..?

Advertisement