Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,511 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Gmail wrote: »
    Hope I'm not hijacking this thread folks - didn't want to start a new thread. I will be in Limerick for the night on Sunday with the other half.
    We are staying city center and I am looking for a recommendation for lunch and dinner on Sunday?
    I have read through a fair bit of this thread and had planned to hit Freddys but when I looked into it they are closed on Sundays - gutted!
    We are both open to all types of food. We have previously eaten in Chocolat and Hamptons and one or two other places where the names escape me right now. So ideally somewhere different.
    Also - plan to spend part of Monday in the city taking in the sights and am looking for a cafe recommendation for tea/coffe and a nice slice of cake?
    Thanks

The cornstore is quite nice, next best after Freddys imo

Coffee, arabica is lovely, but limericks full of coffee shops, easily find one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

For coffee and cake, I'd recommend Insomnia above Easons.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Gmail

Thanks for the tips - the cornstore might be the way to go - will report back anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

Heading to bambu tonight, haven't been in a while. It'll be 9.30 or so by the time i get in, would i need to ring and book a table??

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Johnnythefox4

Hope I'm not hijacking this thread folks - didn't want to start a new thread. I will be in Limerick for the night on Sunday with the other half.
    We are staying city center and I am looking for a recommendation for lunch and dinner on Sunday?
    I have read through a fair bit of this thread and had planned to hit Freddys but when I looked into it they are closed on Sundays - gutted!
    We are both open to all types of food. We have previously eaten in Chocolat and Hamptons and one or two other places where the names escape me right now. So ideally somewhere different.
    Also - plan to spend part of Monday in the city taking in the sights and am looking for a cafe recommendation for tea/coffe and a nice slice of cake?
    Thanks

Cafe Noir for coffee and cake. Oh Jesus their Lemon Meringue Pie/Strawberry Cheesecake/Caramel Cheesecake/ Custard Fruit Tartlet. Used to get cake and a cup of coffee there every Saturday morning as a treat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭yogalady

tea/coffee and cake

Strand hotel- Fab setting looking out at river.lovely cakes and desserts
    Hunt museum cafe-lovely setting again looking out at river and very nice cakes
    Zest cafe art gallery pery square- looking out at park and lovely cakes
    Sallymills milk market- setting not as scenic but lovely cakes and very cosy

Dinner

Recommend all of the below and mix of cuisines

Azur- fine dining
    Casa Nostra- italian
    french door-french food
    Taikichi - Japanese for something different
    Absolute hotel- 3 course dinner fab food

Lunch

Hunt museum cafe
    Zest cafe art gallery pery square
    Marco polo lunch deal
    kaya thai - lunch deal
    Bambu thai - lunch deal

• Registered Users Posts: 23,743 ✭✭✭✭phog

I was in Azur last night, 6 of us, great food and service and 3 bottles of house wine and it came to €285. Highly recommend it.

Thanks a million yogalady - exactly what I'm looking for! Will have to try as many as possible and worry about the consequences next week! Azur popped up from a few searches, and it's open Sunday. Menu looks excellent.

Johnnythefox4 thanks also - sounds delicious!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Ok - everyones favourite Early Bird in the city? (I HATE the phrase "Early Bird"!). For two late-20's girls looking for something casual and not too pricey yet decent with a nice atmosphere for chatting.

Vegetarian options a must!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭black & white

I've been a fan of Eddie Rockets for years but always found it a bit pricey. Popped into the Rockin Joe's one on O'C St today and found that they have reduced prices according to the day of the week. Any single burger is €2 on Monday, €3 on Tues, €4 on Wed etc up to €6 on weekends and Bank Holidays. Chips and Coke etc are available for €4 every day. They don't seem to have done a lot of advertising for this so I have no idea how long it's been like this. Similar deals on chicken etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

I've been a fan of Eddie Rockets for years but always found it a bit pricey. Popped into the Rockin Joe's one on O'C St today and found that they have reduced prices according to the day of the week. Any single burger is €2 on Monday, €3 on Tues, €4 on Wed etc up to €6 on weekends and Bank Holidays. Chips and Coke etc are available for €4 every day. They don't seem to have done a lot of advertising for this so I have no idea how long it's been like this. Similar deals on chicken etc.

Never a fan of Eddie rockets / empty pockets either but would go there occasionally with wife who liked it, smokin joes is not the same.

Just wanted to update following my query last week.
    Had dinner in Azur Sunday night. It was excellent, great value in the early bird. Husband didnt want to order from early bird menu and that wasn't an issue. I've been to restaurants before where all members of the party have to order from the same menu - head wrecking.
    Service was also excellent. I have been dreaming about the beef main course I had - 36hr slow braised beef. Sweet Jesus it was good.

Also had lunch in Zest cafe in the art gallery - very impressed. 2 sandwiches, cappuccino, tea and a pack of crisps for €13.50! Couldn't get over this price. Amazing value and everything was lovely. You wouldn't get this quality or value in any of the 'sandwich chains' (some of whom charge you to sit down!)

Thanks to those who directed me to these places :)

Just wanted to update following my query last week.

Also had lunch in Zest cafe in the art gallery - very impressed. 2 sandwiches, cappuccino, tea and a pack of crisps for €13.50! Couldn't get over this price. Amazing value and everything was lovely. You wouldn't get this quality or value in any of the 'sandwich chains' (some of whom charge you to sit down!)

Thanks to those who directed me to these places :)

Zest by the Peoples Park is fab. The staff are lovely as is the food - the value is amazing. Its my favourite place for lunch/cup of tea in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Home in two weeks for a few days, having dinner in Freddie's with ex-colleagues, super excited!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

7 euro for delivery in Aroi seems very expensive. Wanted to try it yesterday but the cancelled my order, missing a driver for some reason.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Has anybody been to The Buttery on Bedford Row? I had breakfast there the other day, very impressed.

Has anybody been to The Buttery on Bedford Row? I had breakfast there the other day, very impressed.

No - but i HATE the name...BUTTery is all i hear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Price?!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Pacifico wrote: »
    Price?!

€8.95 for a full irish, the afternoon menu sounded very nice too and I'll definitely be going back for the pulled pork sandwich that was on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Gonna miss the Beef Baguette from Café on the Row!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Gonna miss the Beef Baguette from Café on the Row!

COTR is gone?! :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

kinda a new trendy care now,menu on Facebook seems nice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

bigpink wrote: »
    kinda a new trendy care now,menu on Facebook seems nice

Where's the menu?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Shame, I'll miss COTR. Here are the new occupants:

https://www.facebook.com/TheButteryLimerick

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Sandcastles

€8.95 for a full irish, the afternoon menu sounded very nice too and I'll definitely be going back for the pulled pork sandwich that was on it.

I wouldn't hold your breath on the pulled pork bap. Went there the other day. For €7.95 you get a small roll that is gone in two mouthfuls, it would fit comfortably in the palm of your hand. Stingy portions but well able to charge for them. Very disappointed, left hungry and feeling ripped off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Unless you want a cup of coffee with your breakfast, which is not included in the breakfast. So if you want a cup of coffee its over 11Eu which is scandalous. Was there this morning. Waited nearly 20 minutes for my breakfast after that. The hash was swimming in oil and the rasher was like cardboard.

They have the right idea but the execution is brutal. Won't be going back in a hurry. never heard of coffee being extra anywhere before.. wtf is that about? It wasn't even nice coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Any idea why COTR is gone? It was probably the best of it's kind in town. Saying that I might give the new place a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Any idea why COTR is gone? It was probably the best of it's kind in town. Saying that I might give the new place a try.

Fairly big unit, so big rates. And no parking(illegal or otherwise) for takeaway coffees mighg have a hand in this closure. Good luck to the new owner. He/she faces stiff competition from Oliver in hook and ladder.

Advertisement