Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unified Dublin (inside M50) Survival Plan

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭wavehopper1

phill106 wrote: »
    Having been in a "normal" data centre in dublin, how would you get in? The one I was in you they had a palm print scanner and a password before you could get in the front door.
    Suppose if there was a guard inside the door, and you were carrying a weeks shopping from tesco he may let you in, assuming he knows of the impending zombie apocalypse. Unless he was just watching downloaded tvshows on his laptop out of sight of the main desk...

You're right about initial access. In our last data centre, we provided photographs to the security staff and they would do a visual inspection for initial access, then we had a security code to get at our own cages.

But obviously, knowledge of the code itself is limited within companies. As the panic sets in and people are streaming for the door, grab your Systems Admin and beg him for the pin number.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

I've just gone through this entire thread and I know its old but what a cracking good read!

I think the best idea is the Dublin Port one, has plenty of supplies and only needs defending on one side. Blocking the port tunnel and raising the east link bridge will further limit the number of routes zombies can take. Also easy to take a boat up the liffey for survivors.

Noo wrote: »
    I've just gone through this entire thread and I know its old but what a cracking good read!

I think the best idea is the Dublin Port one, has plenty of supplies and only needs defending on one side. Blocking the port tunnel and raising the east link bridge will further limit the number of routes zombies can take. Also easy to take a boat up the liffey for survivors.

I agree that the thread is worth going through from the start!

I walk up Pearse St. often enough, along the walls of Trinity College, and since frequenting this forum for a few months I'd been thinking how fortified it actually is. There's a full discussion from older members of the forum on exactly this point throughout this thread.

But I'm with you on the Dublin Port - immediate access to the sea as a food supply is what swings it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Amazed you all missed one of the most defendable,high OBs post building,with the capability of a river escape/access,possible also for re supply/ evac by helicopter up to Chinook size[,should anyone know how to fly one and you clear the top junk off the building,].Can house a few hundred,has independant Gen power I think.Can be made very difficult to approach,by street blockadage and some building demolition.Also very good to set up some hight freq radio comms,because of its height.
    Smack bang in the shopping district main thoroughfare of Dublin.
    Called Liberty Hall.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Amazed you all missed one of the most defendable,high OBs post building,with the capability of a river escape/access,possible also for re supply/ evac by helicopter up to Chinook size[,should anyone know how to fly one and you clear the top junk off the building,].Can house a few hundred,has independant Gen power I think.Can be made very difficult to approach,by street blockadage and some building demolition.Also very good to set up some hight freq radio comms,because of its height.
    Smack bang in the shopping district main thoroughfare of Dublin.
    Called Liberty Hall.

Some of us prefer to make our last stand in the aesthetically pleasing stone architecture of Trinners as opposed to the architectural abomination that is Liberty Hall :D

Seriously - in the event of a catastrophe, I would simply not hole up medium term in a single building. A few hundred fatigued survivors in a tower with no source of food or water other than scavenging raids is not where I want to be at, say, week four. The point of the Docks or Trinity or Lambay Island is that there is space to plan and do other things than purely surviving e.g. grow veg/crops within the Trinity walls, or fish in an organised way from the docks or an island.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭smegmar

Agreed, single buildings maybe good but really you need space, outdoor space, and the feeling that your not in a prison but an island fortress.

Granted once careful, commuting along a protected route has been established trotting over to Liberty hall or having a secondary base there would be a good idea. Still for the reasons mentioned by Wave hopper Trinity and the Docks are primaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

So its settled, trinity and the docks. Best have the two, cant have us all wiped out in the one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

:D
    Some of us prefer to make our last stand in the aesthetically pleasing stone architecture of Trinners as opposed to the architectural abomination that is Liberty Hall :D

No problem...I'll be able to give you hopefully if I can pick up a few 60mm &120mm mortars some covering fire from my ROOFTOP GARDEN
    as the last few of you make your dash for O Connell bridge ..Down to the Tower.Its what?About a kilometer??Fit and young carrying a rifle[hopefully and a 40lb backpack of your goodies and ammo].Should be able to do it in 4mins??Or less???
    Otherwise if I have my accruacy Intl.338 Lapura sniper rifle.I reckon I'll be able to give you a humane shot if you are too knackerd....Just stand out from the crowd of Zs and STAND STILL .I promise I'll TRY to make it quick !!:D:D:D

Seriously - in the event of a catastrophe, I would simply not hole up medium term in a single building

Wise ,but you mightnt have a choice.
    . A few hundred fatigued survivors in a tower with no source of food or water other than scavenging raids is not where I want to be at, say, week four.

Well friend.Suggest you check out on how the Palestinans holed up in Beruit in the 1980s ..They turned high rise buildings into almost self contained fortresses,that had to be taken literally by air assault and ground assault at the same time.Doubt the Z 's will be flying in air assault units..If they do we are all doubly Fkued:eek: .By blowing up the top floors they created solid platforms for artillery pieces and sniper hides.The ground level areas became comm centres and virtually bullet and bomb proof too.Go over to Sarajevo and check out how people managed to grow food in literally tiny allotments or roof top gardens under sniper fire too,or set up rain traps and tarps.They even raised animals in a total urban warzone.
    Think small and multiple rather than big and singular here.
    The point of the Docks or Trinity or Lambay Island is that there is space to plan and do other things than purely surviving e.g. grow veg/crops within the Trinity walls, or fish in an organised way from the docks or an island.

So HOW MANY people do you expect to have to do all this and keep Trinity safe,and do all the other survival things you mention there??
    Trinity is huge and the dockland doubly so..
    To hold that much ground you are looking at almost battalion strength just gaurding..Not to mind anything else..
    Think even 1916,how many units did the British need to surround cordon off and hold and destroy the rebels in the GPO??
    They were fully kitted up and armed combat troops,and would be even a match for Zs in the 21st century.Just because of their disipline and fact of having to aim shots ,not mostly spray and pray tactics of today.

Liberty hall is simply a fight upwards for Zs and a fight Downwards for humans!! [3to 1 advantage attacking downhill!!]
    Every floor can be prepared to be fought for by a smaller unit than it takes for that same unit to hold ground on a flat plane.IOW you can concentrate more firepower on say a stairwell than you could on a high wall with very basic firearms.Blow out a stairwell and figure out a "draw bridge" affair to close it off and the Zs mightnt even get to the first floor.

Lambay would have advantages for defence,but whats the soil like?Will it support crops,how many people can you put up over there?What sort of shelter is there??Facilities for power etc??How about rough weather??Anybody able to handle a boat in rough weather out there,whats the island like in Winter??

Ok the Docks..Fuel,supplies etc.What is your gaurentee you will be able to access them,if say some army unit,or Dublin criminal gang has gone renegade or moved in there with alot more firepower and decided this is their personal turf and property??And yiz is tresspassin roight!!! Are you going to duke it out in a firefight??hope somone has done their medical exams on triage and battlefield casualty stations.[Not very pretty]
    Or would it be better to try and trade skills for their supplies ,or even sneak in and be like a rat and take a few bits?

Do you know exactly where everything is that you need in there??.It is a huge container park semi computor controlled and unless there is power to the cranes and loaders,and Computor system you are going to be opening a Hell of a lot of containers to find those revelant supplies.:eek:

Point is of all this folks ,and this is ment in a friendly critique,is dont fall for the fortress fallacy.Fortresses are fine if you have the manpower to operate them and run them,and many of them were put there for specific threats that might be useless against a Z attack.. You just mightnt have the manpower to hold a block of flats not to mind a historic building or fort.
    2] Dont ASSume you will be the only people left that you can help yourselves to everything!!There might be other human groups out ther ,better organised with more firepower who might claim it first,or possibly a massive fire breaks out in the docks and the whole lot goes up in a bonfire??
    IOW in this post human world nothing will be a given!!Quite frankly I think we are seriously underestimating it and its threats..
    Looking forward to it if it ever happens...
    :D:D:D:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭smegmar

There's now a thread for Limerick, and I might start one for Cork too. Personally I think we'd be better off without many of "that lot" but just to be fair and equal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,682 ✭✭✭✭josip

Just to add my tuppence worth on what's now an old thread. I don't Trinity is such an ideal spot, the hundreds of metres of fencing along Nassau Street wouldn't look so secure if there were a thousand zombies all trying to scale them simultaneously. Pearse Street and Westland Row is fronted by man old buildings that are litterally a maze of interconnections inside and onwards into secure locations such as the ORI and the Science block. If a zombie was to break one window they would have almost unlimited access to the arse end of campus. Finally, the ready-to-go security force that could locck down the campus in a matter of minutes should not be relied up. Back in 94 some friends of mine ran a field trial for just such a scenario described here: zombie infiltration of Trinity. They stayed in past lockdown having put themselves into a zombie lock state. They then proceeded to partake of that favourite zombie pastime; lift the goalposts on the soccer pitch. (Not even zombies would desecrate the crease at Trinners) Once detected by security they dispersed to see how quickly they would be found. The only zombie found was the one who wandered aimlessly from place ot place in the open. The 2 semi-zombies who took refuge in a Wheelie Bin and the Wendy House respectively (and massive respect) spent a chilly night but were still undetected at sun up.

You need a place with very few doors with nothing in the immediate vicinity. You need clear lines of sight for min 100m all around your fortress. I suggest a Ferry ship. You could drop anchor a little bit off the dock, fish for your food, but chance of being infiltrated nil.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

The thread, IT'S ALIVE!

Soon people, like this thread will come alive after being dead for so long!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned using any of the country's prisons. They are designed to keep people in but are just as good at keeping zombies out.
    -Secure high external walls.
    -Kitchens, workshops and medical facilities.
    -Accommodation for hundreds.
    -Designed to be self sufficient with generators, veg gardens, poly tunnels, firefighting equipment etc.
    -Fully stocked with weapons and riot gear (no firearms though).
    -Vehicles.

Added to all that you have a few in Dublin, Portlaoise, Limerick, Cork and the west. Most are close to Garda stations (firearms), hospitals (medical supplies). Even if you suffered a breach of the external walls (highly unlikely) you can still compartmentalise the facility.
    It's really a no brainer as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Rawhead wrote: »
    I'm surprised that no one has mentioned using any of the country's prisons.

The joys of coming to a thread late.
    In the event of an outbreak i'd think the prisons would be abandoned. By guards anyways, why would they stay guarding criminals when they have loved ones to protect? In the likelihood of that happening, prisoners may either be released or left inside in which case you'll find an amazing fortress run by criminals or lots of dead bodies in cells dead from starvation. I seem to have forgotten where i'm going with this ,apologies lads

I think these sort of plans all depend on the amount of people (fully healthy) that you can get together for your plan to work. This is all based around the amount of food you will need for that group, transport, security etc.
    I think trinty college, being a good idea in theory, would not work due to the amount of people that go through it on a daily basis. I am in college there and agree with people saying that it's structurally perfect. Fantastic old buildings with strong walls and big doors. However I don't think it is the best idea.
    Another place that was mentioned was a supermarket. Being a source of food supplies, I think that these areas would be heavily over-run during the build up to V-day when individuals realise that they are extremely unprepared.
    My choice is going to be one that not many might of thought about. I would head for TV3 studios in Ballymount. The location is quite well fenced. Small enough to secure with a small squad, however large enough to hold a considerable group of people.
    The building (being a tv studio) has very few windows and is structureless quite strong. Located in and around business estates, I think materials could be quite easy to come by.
    Finally we could use their broadcasting capabilities to send out messages to people who are not infected to tell them where we are. It would be a great laugh all-together! :p
    Finally when we have a large enough party ... we could head over to the dump, take possession of their heavy equipment and roll on into the centre of town! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

One thing I don't like about defending trinity is the poor field of fire you get for any ranged weaponry. You only ever have a street worth of safety.

If outbreak occured summer evening when there is no students in Trinity and the campus is semi closed all well and good but any other time there is problems imo too many possible infected.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 833 ✭✭✭snafuk35

Seriously - in the event of a catastrophe, I would simply not hole up medium term in a single building. A few hundred fatigued survivors in a tower with no source of food or water other than scavenging raids is not where I want to be at, say, week four. The point of the Docks or Trinity or Lambay Island is that there is space to plan and do other things than purely surviving e.g. grow veg/crops within the Trinity walls, or fish in an organised way from the docks or an island.

Bloody hippie!

Advertisement