Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unified Dublin (inside M50) Survival Plan

Options
  • 24-02-2009 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

So I think it's important we decide on one unified strategy for Z day. We've all had great ideas but if 100 of us are doing 100 different things there will be chaos and we'll all end up brain nom-ers.

ITT we sort out what all bordsies will do come Z day

starting off with a stripped down version
    I say we gather our zom survival pack (which you all should have prepped) and head to Trinity College, lock it down and from there retake the city.

Your ideas....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Undead

Chaos, its right in the middle of the City, thats the last place ya wanna go in the initial stages of the Outbreak, and as for taking back the city, it'd be a while before ya can do that, between Zed's, Raiders, Military and desperate survivors in strongholds there's alot to fight, best to wait it out and let them all kill each other and thin the Zombie ranks THEN retake the city :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Trinity would be a good location to lock down... but yeah, later on for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Kromdar

i'd be on board with that.

problem being, trinity is too big for 1 or even 10 people to lock down. i agree that if we don't lock it down at the initial stages,the chances of finding it z-free are pretty slim. however: the idea remains that if we are away from our preferred fort, say we're in town, working, college, shopping, whatever it is that you do; that trinity becomes the preferred location.

i for one will be there, if i'm in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭smegmar

I agree there would be huge amount of chaos and zombies in the city, but if we get in there early before zoms (or at least not too many of them) have managed to get in, it would be a bastion for survivors, and impenetrable fortress.

"problem being, trinity is too big for 1 or even 10 people to lock down."

yes it is, and so would all the best places to be during a zombie attack. That's why we need a unified plan, if we get 10 / 100 / 1000 boardsies to descend upon the college before the zoms are there we could significantly raise all our chances of survival.

Consider this, a city center location is where we can rescue the most wondering layman survivors, each one saved does not become a zombie and in turn cannot turn others into zombies. By saving 10 lives in the early stages we may save thousands of lives later on.

Further more rescued survivors may be able to rescue even more people and might kill a few zombies. huge success. We've got supplies, vehicles, many safe houses, seperable fall backs, weapons (in Pearse St Garda station) and everything else you could need.

The key in all this is being able to secure the entire campus quickly before any zeds can breach the perimeter, which means we need an large organized group that can act at the first sign and know what their up against.
    Which leads me back to the Unified Dublin Zombie Defense Plan.
    We need to be organized and work in unison.

If you have a better fort that the boardsies could assemble argue your case for it here.

TL;DR when Zombies attack go to Trinity, lock it down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Well I'm going to fill the clouds with petrol instead of water. I'll be in my helicopter. It's specially adapted with a large collector funnel in the top. As it rains here all the time I'll never have to land. Oh, my helicopter is a chinook and I'll have a range of animals on board for various food. You are all suckers on land. FACT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I'd be heading for Áras an Uachtaráin. Inside the Phoenix Park so there's plenty of room to scope out oncoming hoardes of Z's. The Garda Barracks is nearby for plenty of weapons, ammunition and vehicles. The house itself probably has it's own ready made defence system, along with trained personnel ready to defend the stronghold.

Problem is I can imagine many people would also have thought of this so the defence force may be ordered to shoot both survivors and Z's, but who knows. If you show up with food and a few kids for sympathy value they may let you in.

Once in though, I think you're set. There's bound to be a panic room or two. If worse comes to worst you can nip in to the zoo and climb up on a giraffe for a swift walk to safety.

Cianos wrote: »
    . If you show up with food and a few kids for sympathy value they may let you in.

note to self: steal a few kids in case of a zombie attack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Most buildings in Temple Bar would be pretty good for a central point. The likes of Temple Lane Studios with one entrance and a roof access that gives access to the roofs of most other buildings in the area... with a decent sized plank of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Staying in the most populated part of the island would be just plain daft. What ye should be doing is finding quick ways out of the city that others wouldn't think of straight off. ie, using canals or train tracks.

ITT: don't just say where you're going, agree on where all Boardsies will go!

(assuming we get mobile in the early stages, before it's chaos and there are 10~100 of us)

• Advertisement

Actually if you are in a crowded space and there's a few of you trying to get through you could pretend to be zombies and watch everyone flee.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

ScumLord wrote: »
    Actually if you are in a crowded space and there's a few of you trying to get through you could pretend to be zombies and watch everyone flee.

Or try and kill them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭sagat

In a country filled with castles you'd be mad to hold out anywhere else. Seriously the things are designed to keep enemies out. Not sure how up to the job Dublin castle would still be but the Magazine fort in the Pheonix park might be the best bet:

IMG-1077.jpg

I'm sure it's a great place to be...until you starve to death. The most important thing when looking for a fortress is resources: food, improv. defenses, weapons etc etc. You maybe under siege for some time and dispatching of mrh cows is easier on a full stomach

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

smegmar wrote: »
    I'm sure it's a great place to be...until you starve to death. The most important thing when looking for a fortress is resources: food, improv. defenses, weapons etc etc. You maybe under siege for some time and dispatching of mrh cows is easier on a full stomach

A decent size group could take the Phoenix park over, and secure it. There's only the gates to worry about.

As for food - if the zombies are outside, then we'd have the deer to eat - plus a few raids into the local areas would do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Cliste wrote: »
    A decent size group could take the Phoenix park over, and secure it. There's only the gates to worry about.

As for food - if the zombies are outside, then we'd have the deer to eat - plus a few raids into the local areas would do the trick.

Securing a massive area such as the phoenix park is too difficult. You are going to mess up somewhere, or overlook some weakness in the perimeter, or not be able to keep everything in check all the time. With an area that big, there is going to be a breach somewhere eventually.

It's better to go for a smaller, but highly secured area that you know every corner of like the back of your hand. It's easy that way to make sure nothing is actually vulnerable and if something does go wrong it will be blatantly obvious and you can deal with it immediately.

Phoenix park does have the advantage of having rings of security. You have the outside fences. Then secure government buildings inside (including the US consulate who are very likely to be prepared for the outbreak) with their own walls. If it can't stop the zombies it will make them more manageable. It's not safe though.

I'd say the government will take this area over due to the important buildings in the area. I'd expect it to be a hotspot for military engagement and should be avoided at all costs.

I live well outside the bounds of the M50, so I don't think I should be the one to contribute anything as to strategy for this thread.

However it does raise a good point - perhaps all of Ireland should be divided into sections, and individual strategy's worked out based on the area, the resources, local advantages, etc.

After we begin to regain control of our country, these sections could slowly consolidate and higher level strategy's worked out, until we've regained control of our country.

Obviously, the higher level strategy's would need to include plans for running the country, such as the running of electricity, public safety, etc.

The question is how we go about splitting the country into these sections?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Pedrospuds

How bout Tesco? Depends where you are , but Im thinking , grab some weaponry preferably a shotgun and clear the place . Lock it down , as theres probably a big **** back gate for delivery's that can be closed off and theres probably a pull down gate at the entrance . Tinned Food , Medical Items , you name it ! even some make shift weapons , axes what have ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Kromdar

Pedrospuds wrote: »
    How bout Tesco? Depends where you are , but Im thinking , grab some weaponry preferably a shotgun and clear the place . Lock it down , as theres probably a big **** back gate for delivery's that can be closed off and theres probably a pull down gate at the entrance . Tinned Food , Medical Items , you name it ! even some make shift weapons , axes what have ya!
    >>Tesco
    >>Shotguns
    >>Probably a pull-down gate at the entrance

1. What tesco. where?
    2. what shotguns? how?
    3. What about all the glass-fronted shops?

Although he does raise a point, one thing i meant to add to the map at some point. there is the Tesco warehouse Castle out near donabate. the place is huge. really, really huge. like, 'we can live here for a few decades and build a small city inside it' huge.
    anyway, here's the site, where it now stands, and compared to tesco Clare Hall [inset]
    tesco.jpg

the difference is, because one is a wareshouse, there's no glass walls, no fancy doors. just walls. and more walls.

• Advertisement

Most supermarkets work off the same plans so they'll all be more or less the same. They don't really have big glass fronts anymore and are basically warehouses.

The main problem is they'll be well known, may be stripped by shoppers or looters and are in areas that have easy access. Being on main roads for easy access by passing traffic means they may be blocked off by people fleeing.

I think if your going to pick somewhere, pick somewhere that the vast majority of people won't think of going. Like the Tesco warehouse that Kromdar mentioned. Ideally you should be looking for someplace designed to keep people out rather than draw them in.

I think it's important to have a location that won't be ransacked by the locals but at the same time will be somewhere survivors will go for rescue. I think the only thing we can do is get there quickly before the majority population realize what's going on. Which again is why we need a unified plan. I encourage all other populated area to develop their own.

Here's the list or requirements for any sort of fortress.

1) Resources, must be able to sustain you and group for some time.

2) Security, Walls walls and more walls. must be 8foot high and patrolled.

3) Redundancies, must have fallbacks, if one walls is compromised the entire base must not be.

4) Space, to accommodate all survivors (a few hundred) vehicles and supplies, but also be patrolled 24/7

5) Evacuation, should worst case scenario happen everyone should get out quickly and safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ilovemybrick

smegmar wrote: »

Here's the list or requirements for any sort of fortress.

3) Redundancies, must have fallbacks, if one walls is compromised the entire base must not be.

4) Space, to accommodate all survivors (a few hundred) vehicles and supplies, but also be patrolled 24/7

5) Evacuation, should worst case scenario happen everyone should get out quickly and safely.

First of all I am delighted to find this forum, the amount of times myself and my friends have thought about this while drunk is bordering on odd.

Trinity Campus would be the perfect spot, both in the short term and the long term. Plus I live here so it's defending my house essentially.

Two student shops and 4 food/coffee places. Also include the 600 or so people who live here.

Trinity is designed to be easy to seal off. The lowest street to fence is above eight feet.The front of the college is essentially a castle and the back entrances have nice big gates which would be easy to reinforce. The college itself has a security force who could easily lock down in a minute in an emergency. Patrols would be easy to organise with internal spotters and the comprhensive CCTV footage.
    The weakness of the trainline could be secured by taking pearst street station and blocking it or even collapsing the bridges in both directions.

Several massive independent buildings, designed in a time when emergencies were to be defended against.
    Has it's own radio station and some large green space to be choppered out.

4)
    Approx 700 bedrooms, and significant space in the library,or lecture halls.

Most people forget the college has a large mechanical engineering faculty and lab. If needs be I wouldnt put it past them to be able to build a basic gyrocopter which could help spot for a convoy of the dozens of campus vehicles evacuating people through any one of 4 points that lead on to major roads.
    Or if there was a strong force (armed either from the rifle club[only small calibre but useful] or from Pearse st Garda which is adjacent to campus) it would be easy to get from the ground to the trainline and from there via tara st the river where boats could be, or if possible just get a train and keep moving.

Long term is also amazing because the college is secure food and water wise for at least a week and can get better but that is another post.

First of all I am delighted to find this forum, the amount of times myself and my friends have thought about this while drunk is bordering on odd.

Trinity Campus would be the perfect spot, both in the short term and the long term. Plus I live here so it's defending my house essentially.

Two student shops and 4 food/coffee places. Also include the 600 or so people who live here.

Trinity is designed to be easy to seal off. The lowest street to fence is above eight feet.The front of the college is essentially a castle and the back entrances have nice big gates which would be easy to reinforce. The college itself has a security force who could easily lock down in a minute in an emergency. Patrols would be easy to organise with internal spotters and the comprhensive CCTV footage.
    The weakness of the trainline could be secured by taking pearst street station and blocking it or even collapsing the bridges in both directions.

Several massive independent buildings, designed in a time when emergencies were to be defended against.
    Has it's own radio station and some large green space to be choppered out.

4)
    Approx 700 bedrooms, and significant space in the library,or lecture halls.

Most people forget the college has a large mechanical engineering faculty and lab. If needs be I wouldnt put it past them to be able to build a basic gyrocopter which could help spot for a convoy of the dozens of campus vehicles evacuating people through any one of 4 points that lead on to major roads.
    Or if there was a strong force (armed either from the rifle club[only small calibre but useful] or from Pearse st Garda which is adjacent to campus) it would be easy to get from the ground to the trainline and from there via tara st the river where boats could be, or if possible just get a train and keep moving.

Long term is also amazing because the college is secure food and water wise for at least a week and can get better but that is another post.

I like your style.
    I've pretty much been saying that since I started thinking about a zombie invasion. What we need is a good 50-100 boardsies that will, on hearing of a zombie outbreak assemble at trinity and lock it down before the hoards can get inside. From there we can made raids on anywhere else in the city for other resources we might need. I don't want to dismiss anyone elses ideas that may be better but so far I haven't seen any.{ Phoenix Park is a bad idea}.

Is there a Zombie Soc in trinity and if not why not?

some key notes

For the purposes of this thread we assume

1) The outbreak has just started in somewhere outset Tallaght Lucan Bray or Sutton but rapidly moving into Dublin city center.

2) The army has been overwhelmed/preoccupied/disbanded except for a few places that are locked down
    (Barracks, Áras an Uachtaráin etc).

3) Roads out of Dublin at the M50 have been closed/ blocked by abandoned cars/ moving at a crawl pace.

4) Most of the population are unaware or do not take seriously the reports of zombie outbreak.

5) Sometime within 24 hours electricity, water supplies and telecommunications will be cut off.

6) You are at home alone when you get first indication of Zombies. You start with only what you can find in you house until you loot

7) There has been very light looting already but most places have majority of tools you would expect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Setheme

Get a car. Go to port. Get a boat. GTFO of the island. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Kareir

I think that what I would do, as i'm in Wicklow, is gather the survivors I could and hole up somewhere fairly remote in the country. Run raiding strikes on more built up areas for food/weapons/supplies, but always return to home base. As the outbreak progresses and strength is built up, run more raids. Hopefully survivors will find us, and make us stronger.

_Kar.

PS: To keep this on topic, the dubliners should come to me :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

trinity collage is bad to many people to many danger's to many access point's not enough people to patrol, also majority of people wont be in any fit mental state to fight.

What you need is a group of 40 to 50 people enough amo weaponry and equipment to transport these people and also to feed and house any larger then 50 and your going to run into problem's...

way id do it is get my self to a hill top with miles of open ground in every way....

Id want to be close enough that i could get an abundance of equipment like generators, tools welder's, make shift acomidiation, transport and fuel... all very important jeep/truck would have an inner fuel tank entry systems so risk of fellow, coleny member's would be less prone to becoming Z bite's....

I would go looking for the likes of razor wire, and consult my anarchist cook book. for weponary

I also feel that large 60 foot container's cold be usefull as both living quators and a most inner perimitor wall.

after that a 60 foot fuel tanker for fuel storage then its just water and food...

• Registered Users Posts: 24 irishmic

i agree with snow monkey trinity is a bad idea in the short run .long term it may suit for rebuilding purposes .On average ten thousand people pass thru trinity every day either studying ,visiting or just cutting thru . even if the security could close it down in time there would still be panic and a chance of infected been in or getting in . in the intial stages of an outbreak somewhere isolated is your best chance of survival failing that some where thats not obvious to every one else. shopping centers garda stations hospitals and army barracks are a complete no no joe public would be on them like bees on honey . i therefore suggest somewhere like the central bank for those stuck in the city center .surrounded by railings secure underground parking canteen facilities plenty of room and not the sort of place paniced survivors would think of . after the inital outbreak then you could look to the like of cathal burgha barrcks or mckee(which i think would be more secure) or trinity
    p.s this is my first post in this forum so be gentle:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

mind you trinity would be a great place for mass hoarding to take out all the zs ....

Advertisement