Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unified Dublin (inside M50) Survival Plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It's crazy but it just, might work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

ScumLord wrote: »
    It's crazy but it just, might work.

couple of fir engines water tanks replaces with petrol ;)

Obvously the book of kells was rescued etc spray the lot of them then do the yippi kye yay motherf*cker with a zippo at which point we all head to the nearest pub get sloshed rebuild society:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

There are a couple of things about trinity that I wouldn't like.

If you look at this map (http://www.tcd.ie/Maps/assets/pdf/tcd-campus.pdf) you can see some of them.

Some of the houses on westland row can be used to access the buildings in trinity. I also think some of the houses on Pearse can do the same.

The new sports center with the glass front could be hard to lock down.

The railway tracks over one corner of it may be a potential breach

Also I think the amount of people passing through it every day would make it difficult to lock down quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

matrim wrote: »
    There are a couple of things about trinity that I wouldn't like.

If you look at this map (http://www.tcd.ie/Maps/assets/pdf/tcd-campus.pdf) you can see some of them.

Some of the houses on westland row can be used to access the buildings in trinity. I also think some of the houses on Pearse can do the same.

The new sports center with the glass front could be hard to lock down.

The railway tracks over one corner of it may be a potential breach

Also I think the amount of people passing through it every day would make it difficult to lock down quickly.

we could block the dart line off.... could be ridiculous but we could first of all watch the part where it crosses the campus and then destroy the bridge either side of the campus, it would help anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 DemonLilith

my plan, stay in my fourth floor apt. most residents are either foreign or culchies so they'll be heading to the airports, train and bus stations, leaving me in a mainly abandoned building.

the building's got two security gates which will have to be chained shut, won't stop people but will stop zombies. firstly take everything useful from the lower floors then block off access to the top floors and roof. thats going to be the difficult part.

I could live here very quietly for several weeks till things calm down. don't want to draw attention to myself or I'll be killed by looters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

my plan, stay in my fourth floor apt. most residents are either foreign or culchies so they'll be heading to the airports, train and bus stations, leaving me in a mainly abandoned building.

the building's got two security gates which will have to be chained shut, won't stop people but will stop zombies. firstly take everything useful from the lower floors then block off access to the top floors and roof. thats going to be the difficult part.

I could live here very quietly for several weeks till things calm down. don't want to draw attention to myself or I'll be killed by looters.
    I'm fairly certain you'll be zombie food. Back to the drawing board old chum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭blog_blog_blog

ScumLord wrote: »
    I'm fairly certain you'll be zombie food. Back to the drawing board old chum.
    To-shea zomb fodder. trinity too large for initial regeneration. Initial will be survival .I,m sure there are people in dublin and country asside polititions that have access to such long term shelters.

I remember in the times about 3 years ago , some large building contractor offering a fall out shelter style underground cylinder building circa 1 mill. I wonder would the neighbours mind.. Emm What you mean i need to apply for planning? I,m only digging a 100ft hole out my back garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭flynnduism

I live near Arbour Hill prison, which has big strong stone walls/gates etc

Intended to keep people in, it would also prove ideal to keep the z's out - one small catch though; you'd be sharing the premises with a gathering of Ireland's convicted sex offenders...

On 2nd thoughts I'd probably just take my chances in the streets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭pandemonium

In the event of an outbreak i'd think the prisons would be abandoned. By guards anyways, why would they stay guarding criminals when they have loved ones to protect? In the likelihood of that happening, prisoners may either be released or left inside in which case you'll find an amazing fortress run by criminals or lots of dead bodies in cells dead from starvation. I seem to have forgotten where i'm going with this ,apologies lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Might I suggest that the National Museum on Kildare Street may be a decent place to hole up at first. It is directly beside Leinster House, which would mean that a Garda / Military presence would be very close by. There are two entrances (both behind heavy doors) one through a gated entrance that can be closed providing an extra bit of protection. There is a cafe there, which would provide a short term supply of food, as well as some older weapons.

Museums generally wouldn't have the same flow as people as a place like Trinity, so there would be less work in clearing it of already infected z's.

As time progresses the idea would be to integrate with the survivors in Leinster House (with their gardai and military).

You may wonder why not go directly to Leinster House, well, access there is already restricted, in a state of emergency access would no doubt be even more greatly restricted and so may necesitate the armed forces opening fire on interlopers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭sendic

How about bus aras? Central location, the entrances have shutters which could be locked in place, plenty of room inside, access to large vehicles should the need arise, close to the train station giving an alternative to roads if you had to walk out of the city

sendic wrote: »
    How about bus aras? Central location, the entrances have shutters which could be locked in place, plenty of room inside, access to large vehicles should the need arise, close to the train station giving an alternative to roads if you had to walk out of the city

shutters are locked from the outside as are most, walk the tracks? what if z's have been on a train chances are they'll stay on the tracks, also the bus idea... could be good, but have you ever tried to drive a very long bus while very panicked?

also chances are people will flood the place trying to get out of the city.... one Z in there and you'll soon see a mutilation fest

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Kromdar

i was just passing the post office in finglas village. goddamn that place is a fortress... still, convincing the locals to let you in would be a challenge. good ole finglas :rolleyes:

busaras would be an interesting choice, if you could get access to the big tower above it, that would be a cool 'vertical fortress'

or the liberty hall building, tho i'd imagine that would be full of unioners asking the government to compensate them for being out of work, due to the outbreak. a zombie siptu... not a pleasant thought :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Missiechan

Maybe instead of one large stronghold, several small ones should be the plan. That way, if one is compromised it's a minor tragedy and not a major disaster.

My plan is to bunk down in my flat. It's always stocked with about two weeks worth of food, I have window boxes with vegetables growing and once I've blocked off the stairs I have the run of my flat and my neighbour's (assuming he's dead). If I totally run out of food I could eat the cat or set seagull traps on the roof. And if the house is breached? I escape onto the roof, make my way to the nearby dock and raft to safety.

The garden shed is full of building odds and ends to barricade the main entrance to the house and the back garden is surrounded by a ten foot brick wall. It's real close to the city centre too so as long as I'm not at work I'll be fine.

Just a thought: people in open-plan houses are screwed. They'll never block up all that glass.

*pats missiechans head*
    I think we found a keeper :) :P

we're thinkin really long term though hun your ideas great for short term then we'll have to head to our big places around the city

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Kromdar

SmileyPaul wrote: »
    *pats missiechans head*
    I think we found a keeper :) :P

we're thinkin really long term though hun your ideas great for short term then we'll have to head to our big places around the city

we need plans for all eventualities. like a minor 1-5 day outbreak is managable in your house, but yea. the general consensus on boards is that its a 1 week to 18 month outbreak. any longer than that and i'm abandoning the city centre for an island, but hopefully we'll have a 300-strong zombie resistance commune going. hopefully...

has there ever been a thread about how boardsies are going to rebuild ireland after a zombie outbreak? assuming that the government is out the door and we're left to organise the survivors, as the only organised people among the remaining populace?

tl, dr: i think a local stronghold [you know a small, well defended grocery/pub/ school/workplace] would be best, the trinity or phoenix park ideas are for a longer-term survival plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Missiechan

In that case, I vote for anywhere near a dock. My immediate plan is to hop into the nearest body of water and swim home. Are there any fortresses along the Liffey?

A big secondary school could do the job. Barricade the lower floors with desks and chairs and woodworking equipment and we can set up rain barrels and grow crops on the roof. Home Economic rooms will keep us in emergency food for a while too. My old convent school would be perfect, too bad it's in Wicklow.

http://www.bikeradar.com/routes/?bpath=maps%2Fbike-path%2FHow-to-get-out-of-Dublin-alive

Has a basic map showing routes ,Routes out of all points of the city,These are the preferred routes by cyclists to get in and out of dublin. If the main routes(m50,m1, and feeder roads) where blocked or chocker block with crashes and whatever zz, These route,s might be used, Say on a moto cross bike.. Not a push bike.

I,d fancy the canal routes

I wonder if zombies are in my mortgage policy... 3 day week, soon to be made redundant! Bring it on ! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭JP Mulvano

Kromdar wrote: »
    i was just passing the post office in finglas village. goddamn that place is a fortress... still, convincing the locals to let you in would be a challenge. good ole finglas :rolleyes:

busaras would be an interesting choice, if you could get access to the big tower above it, that would be a cool 'vertical fortress'

or the liberty hall building, tho i'd imagine that would be full of unioners asking the government to compensate them for being out of work, due to the outbreak. a zombie siptu... not a pleasant thought :pac:

First of all brilliant thread.....my lcoation of choice Beggars Bush

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beggars_Bush_(Dublin)

Zombie SIPTU - what would the difference be?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 uber gamer

I would either gather as many people as I can and hitch a ride to nowhere on the tram or sit in my cellar with all the food, ammo and weapons I could find in my house or if the option was there, I would go with someone else to trinity, a castle or wherever they where going.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭smegmar

I have to say this again so please listen this time

"some key notes

For the purposes of this thread we assume

1) The outbreak has just started in somewhere outset Tallaght Lucan Bray or Sutton but rapidly moving into Dublin city center.

2) The army has been overwhelmed/preoccupied/disbanded except for a few places that are locked down
    (Barracks, Áras an Uachtaráin etc).

3) Roads out of Dublin at the M50 have been closed/ blocked by abandoned cars/ moving at a crawl pace.

4) Most of the population are unaware or do not take seriously the reports of zombie outbreak.

5) Sometime within 24 hours electricity, water supplies and telecommunications will be cut off.

6) You are at home alone when you get first indication of Zombies. You start with only what you can find in you house until you loot

7) There has been very light looting already but most places have majority of tools you would expect"

leaving Dublin, means going toward the horde, Dublin City Center is clear but will be compromised SOON, in that short time what do we do.

I still state Trinity College as the best Fortress idea so far

smegmar wrote: »
    I have to say this again so please listen this time

"some key notes

For the purposes of this thread we assume

1) The outbreak has just started in somewhere outset Tallaght Lucan Bray or Sutton but rapidly moving into Dublin city center.

2) The army has been overwhelmed/preoccupied/disbanded except for a few places that are locked down
    (Barracks, Áras an Uachtaráin etc).

3) Roads out of Dublin at the M50 have been closed/ blocked by abandoned cars/ moving at a crawl pace.

4) Most of the population are unaware or do not take seriously the reports of zombie outbreak.

5) Sometime within 24 hours electricity, water supplies and telecommunications will be cut off.

6) You are at home alone when you get first indication of Zombies. You start with only what you can find in you house until you loot

7) There has been very light looting already but most places have majority of tools you would expect"

leaving Dublin, means going toward the horde, Dublin City Center is clear but will be compromised SOON, in that short time what do we do.

I still state Trinity College as the best Fortress idea so far

I think you've just saved this thread by taking this back on topic.

If we ARE assuming the army has disbanded there will definitely a single rifle within the Boardsies, if not then maybe anywhere up to 8 and ammo, we've all seen what weapons we have and we know that somewhere up to a week after we will be rendevousing (yeah I know I spelt it dreadfully wrong) within the walls of trinity which will have hopefully been shut down, or of course one of our better easier to handle points in one of the pubs we shall be visiting on the 20th
    I think that should be our first bit of business, survive then meet at the chosen location after beers, we can move from there, coz we know we could have a rag tag team of over 10-15ish :)

(Im sorry its quite a small number but I'm assuming that a few people wont make the grade and survive the first week)

one rule.... we dont keep them as pets!

With Smegmar's key notes in mind ... I would like to underline why my suggestion of the museum is a better short term option than Trinity College.

1. As popular as museums might be, the history museum beside leinster house will be far sless populated than Trinity College, which would be full of students, tourists, taff, people passing through.

2. It is much smaller. Ensuring the museum is clear of zeds will be much easier than clearing out the vast trinity college. A zombie could be hidden in any building in trinity.

3. The Museum has one entrance in use. There is a heavy fence and gate (which comes across from the front of Leinster House), and also has heavy doors to prevent any zeds getting in.

4. There is the possibility of armed forces close by in Leinster House which may provide an extra level of security. In trinity, you're basically on your own.

5. There is a restaurant in the museum, so food supplies for your small party will be okay for a while.

6. I think this one is important, people will likely move past the museum when fleeing. Trinity is too obvious a place to take refuge in, and so will be a destination for many of "the bitten".

Also, due to artifacts needing to be kept at certain temperatures there is the possibility that the museum may house a generator or two.

Cactus Col wrote: »
    With Smegmar's key notes in mind ... I would like to underline why my suggestion of the museum is a better short term option than Trinity College.

1. As popular as museums might be, the history museum beside leinster house will be far sless populated than Trinity College, which would be full of students, tourists, taff, people passing through.

2. It is much smaller. Ensuring the museum is clear of zeds will be much easier than clearing out the vast trinity college. A zombie could be hidden in any building in trinity.

3. The Museum has one entrance in use. There is a heavy fence and gate (which comes across from the front of Leinster House), and also has heavy doors to prevent any zeds getting in.

4. There is the possibility of armed forces close by in Leinster House which may provide an extra level of security. In trinity, you're basically on your own.

5. There is a restaurant in the museum, so food supplies for your small party will be okay for a while.

6. I think this one is important, people will likely move past the museum when fleeing. Trinity is too obvious a place to take refuge in, and so will be a destination for many of "the bitten".

Also, due to artifacts needing to be kept at certain temperatures there is the possibility that the museum may house a generator or two.

this could be taken into consideration for a week or 3 before trinity maybe? that way most z's will have cleared themselves out, then take trinity for the long term.... I still like the plan codenamed "winchester" (yes I just gave a code name to an unknown plan.... its the barricaded pub idea) :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Phil the Drill

I sure hope nobody reading this gets turned into a zombie and forms an ambush squad that will wait for you all in the museum AND trinity... you'd be Fu&(ed then!!

I sure hope nobody reading this gets turned into a zombie and forms an ambush squad that will wait for you all in the museum AND trinity... you'd be Fu&(ed then!!

you know what the key word in mindless zombies is in this case is?
    mindless :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭X AcT X EviL

If the infection starts in Ireland, why not just leave the country??

If the infection starts in Ireland, why not just leave the country??

Well, one concern would be spending several hours in a confined space where there might be any number of bitten or infected people waiting to change.

The airport itself would likely be chaos, and a prime location for panic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭X AcT X EviL

Cactus Col wrote: »
    Well, one concern would be spending several hours in a confined space where there might be any number of bitten or infected people waiting to change.

The airport itself would likely be chaos, and a prime location for panic.
    Im talking about maybe stealing a boat and sailing to say England or Continental Europe.

Advertisement