Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unified Dublin (inside M50) Survival Plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

9165_Wifoebroschuerenetz_Seite_30_Bild_0007.jpg
    with small modifications these could be put to good use.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It would be like a man sized fort building project.

Bottom line is city folk are doomed come z-day. Small towns FTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

while doubling as an escape vehicle/ mobile fort.

Although due to low bridges the patrolling would be limited to docklands.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Kromdar

ScumLord wrote: »
    Bottom line is city folk are doomed come z-day. Small towns FTW.

hey. us dubliners are proud of [the majority of] our city. damnit, when you wanna meet some classy women, or buy classy clothes, or eat classy food, or be educated; you come to dublin. we have something worth fighting for.

go defend your 2 pubs, the corner shop/post office, the gaa pitch, and tom o'donoghue's cow shed, why don't ya.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭A_SN

Traumadoc wrote: »
    I think Dublin Port would be a good option.

Probably limited to the northside port.

dublin6qv.jpg

1. limited access, I think there are only 3 entrances, all with gates.
    2. Shipping containers can easily be moved to block the entrances.
    3. Shipping containers could be used to construct lines of defence.
    4. There should be ample food and fuel.
    5. Fuel in the depots could be used for flame throwers.
    6. heavy machinery could be used for breakout or to rescue others.
    7. a ferry service to the isle of man ( to be renamed Nirvana) could be established to evacuate the population
    That's actually an excellent idea, because of how easy it is to make it airtight, or rather, zombietight, and also how it doesn't zombielock us (i.e. we're not besieged by zombies, we've got the sea and boats). And even if they somehow broke in, the area's full of vast spaces enclosed by tall concrete walls and such. One issue though, (food) supplies, who knows what's in those containers, I don't know... At worst we could go fishing :D. Surely there must be some fishing boats around there. Hoping that the zombie virus doesn't transmit to fishes...

• Advertisement

Kromdar wrote: »
    hey. us dubliners are proud of [the majority of] our city. damnit, when you wanna meet some classy women, or buy classy clothes, or eat classy food, or be educated; you come to dublin. we have something worth fighting for.

go defend your 2 pubs, the corner shop/post office, the gaa pitch, and tom o'donoghue's cow shed, why don't ya.

:D
    Ye can be proud of it all ye like but it will be your downfall, all those classy places will spawn thousands of classy zombies, how classy will they be then? Spewing up their crème brûlées, reciting Yeats while they gnaw on your skull. The apocalypse will become Galways greatest ever excuse for a lock in as we all drink our selfs into oblivion before the zombies ever get a chance to send us to hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Red Panda

A lot depends on the time of the attack. Trinity would be an awesome place if it occurs during a summer night when the campus is already locked down pretty tight with very few people who aren't supposed to be there. The only way in aside from hopping a massive fence which zombies can't do is through the castle like gates. In this situation, providing you are already inside the gates at the time of the attack and sufficient competent people to defend it (It would take a lot), it would be perfect.

You have small arms from the rifle club plus engineering/gardening tools, with the possibility of sending a raiding party to the garda station for better, tons of food from the various shops and canteens, it would be easy to set up the front gate as a sort of "airlock" for temporarily quarantining people coming in or out, lots of green areas for growing crops if needed for long term survival.
    There is even that big bad-ass truck thing belonging to the engineers which is perfect for converting to a mobile fortress.

Another advantage is there are alot of old buildings which are hevily defensible in an individual level. House 6 is a nice exable here. The staris leading up are all wooden and could be destroyed, you could stay up in the scifi room/radio station so you would have acces to a brodcasting radio, lots and lots of books for entertainment, plus you could raid the shop downstairs for food if it is safe. This building alone would be a nice place to go if you got caught in the city mid invasion at any time and hide out untill it is possible to attempt to secure the entire campus. There are lots of other buildings similarly defencable. You could use these as living quaters and the campus its self for food prodection so in the even the campus got over run, you still have a fall back.

The new sports center is and buildings leading out to the street are obvious weak points. Those massive glass windows are quite a defensive problem. I'd suggest abandoning the hall and those buildings entirly, bobby trapping them and colapsing segemts as nessacary to turn them into thicker walls. I'd leave the footbridge to goldsmith hall up as an emergency escape route in the event the campus is besiged and sourrounded, but booby trap it so it could be destroyed if zombies start to cross.

I think about these things too much :( I'm glad I found this fourm

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Brunteaphile

Red Panda wrote: »
    A lot depends on the time of the attack. Trinity would be an awesome place if it occurs during a summer night when the campus is already locked down pretty tight with very few people who aren't supposed to be there. The only way in aside from hopping a massive fence which zombies can't do is through the castle like gates. In this situation, providing you are already inside the gates at the time of the attack and sufficient competent people to defend it (It would take a lot), it would be perfect.

You have small arms from the rifle club plus engineering/gardening tools, with the possibility of sending a raiding party to the garda station for better, tons of food from the various shops and canteens, it would be easy to set up the front gate as a sort of "airlock" for temporarily quarantining people coming in or out, lots of green areas for growing crops if needed for long term survival.
    There is even that big bad-ass truck thing belonging to the engineers which is perfect for converting to a mobile fortress.

Another advantage is there are alot of old buildings which are hevily defensible in an individual level. House 6 is a nice exable here. The staris leading up are all wooden and could be destroyed, you could stay up in the scifi room/radio station so you would have acces to a brodcasting radio, lots and lots of books for entertainment, plus you could raid the shop downstairs for food if it is safe. This building alone would be a nice place to go if you got caught in the city mid invasion at any time and hide out untill it is possible to attempt to secure the entire campus. There are lots of other buildings similarly defencable. You could use these as living quaters and the campus its self for food prodection so in the even the campus got over run, you still have a fall back.

The new sports center is and buildings leading out to the street are obvious weak points. Those massive glass windows are quite a defensive problem. I'd suggest abandoning the hall and those buildings entirly, bobby trapping them and colapsing segemts as nessacary to turn them into thicker walls. I'd leave the footbridge to goldsmith hall up as an emergency escape route in the event the campus is besiged and sourrounded, but booby trap it so it could be destroyed if zombies start to cross.

I think about these things too much :( I'm glad I found this fourm

I used to think that trinity wouldn't be a very good place to go initially, but seems to me you've certainly sussed it out enough. For instance, I didn't know there was a rifle club inside the campus.

Quick question though, Pearse st. station to the east/south east of the campus has a railway bridge running over the campus for a small section. How would you prevent zombies coming from there?

And yes I am very glad I found this forum too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭smegmar

I say you'd have to take Tara and Pearse Street station. both wouldn't be a big problem to secure, Tara station only has those stairs up to it and Pearse can be barricaded easily (they're used to the "living dead" outside the gates).
    This provides security but also extra resources and transport if you can use the dart line. By running a train at full speed along the entire dart system you could do some good recon and also spread any zoms on the tracks down the line, like chunky peanut butter on bread.

Although unproven I've heard rumors that Trinity College has underground tunnels dating back centuries, running all over Dublin. Mostly to the castles like Clontarf, Malahide and Christchurch to name a few. I don't think they want anyone to know about them officially but they are there.

It just gets better and better

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Brunteaphile

smegmar wrote: »
    Although unproven I've heard rumors that Trinity College has underground tunnels dating back centuries, running all over Dublin. Mostly to the castles like Clontarf, Malahide and Christchurch to name a few. I don't think they want anyone to know about them officially but they are there.

It just gets better and better

It's true, I've been in the one underneath trinity college, we went as far as just under Dublin Castle where there is a round room about 7ft in height.
    Although most of these tunnels are semi-flooded and there's a good amount of rats as well.

• Advertisement

I used to think that trinity wouldn't be a very good place to go initially, but seems to me you've certainly sussed it out enough. For instance, I didn't know there was a rifle club inside the campus.

Quick question though, Pearse st. station to the east/south east of the campus has a railway bridge running over the campus for a small section. How would you prevent zombies coming from there?

And yes I am very glad I found this forum too :)

Yea, That area is the weak point in the trinity plan. I'd suggest Collapsing the bridge if at all possible, but that's unlikley. There is a lot of construction materially and it would be some time before zombies are wandering around on the train tracks, so I'd say just sectioning off that whole problem area entirely. You would loose the foot bridge to goldsmith, but it would take care of the sports centre vunrability too. A wall going from the llyod building to the hamilton, then another from the lloyd to the perimiter would do the trick, that's not a hugh amount of wall. Plus, untill zombies do manage to get on the railway tracks, you have another penned in area of quarenting suspeced infected.
    I'm trying to find a picture of the big truck thing, but I can't find one. It is a perfect mobile fortress

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 EatMatHard

Before we even consider using Trinity, think about the accomodation already there. Something like 600-700 people it can house? It'll only take one Z and a handful of students who haven't a clue what's going on for the virus to spread through the campus before any of us can actually get there (unless you already board on the campus, in which case you too are most likely screwed when it breaks out.)

I think the best idea is to have a few small strongholds, rather than one large one.
    I have to agree i think schools are a good plan:they're usually in suburban areas, they are large enough to hold a couple hundred survivors and there's one relatively close to everyone. Once you've got a two story building, preferably a mixed school, you should be sorted. It's already been said that the Home Ec rooms have food, and make shift weapons (although not guns, they'll need to be brought by survivors) can be made in metal and wood work rooms. Many schools have cctv and rugby/hockey pitches, so you'll be able to see anyone (or anything) trying to get in before they reach the building.

I'm new here, so please feel free to point out any flaws in this plan, but be nice :)

Well the thing about trinity is that it *is* few small strongholds grouped together. That's the key part of the trinity plan. You would have to treat each building as an individual stronghold and the surrounding campus as more of a semi-safe zone. you could still grow crops and the like, but you cant just go about farming it like normal, it would only be a little bit safer than raiding.
    Travel between buildings would have to be kept to an absolute minimum. I'm thinking using the front gate, the GMB, the rubrics and the museum building as the primary areas, as each of them individually are strong, easily defensible buildings. Roof tops should also be converted for rain water collection and food growing in the even the campus is overrun.
    Treat them as if they were the sole building without the defenses of the campus itself. The arts block, the provost's house and to a lesser extent the hamilton could be fitted if the population grows too large, but they are not as secure. The various other buildings could be used for indivuals and smaller groups who wish to remain seperate, but they should largely be avoided and treated as possible zombie filled buildings.
    Using trinity as one single fortress with free movemnt and totall saftey within is suicide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Dalkey Island martello tower.
    That is all.

I was talking about this with SmileyPaul, it might be an easier plan to split the city up into regions, and deal with what is the best plan for each region. because you never know where you will be when the zommers come.

Central (within canals/nth~sth circular)

PLAN: get to Trinity College

North east ( east of Griffith avenue..)

PLAN: get to Nolans supermarket on Vernon avenue.

North west ( Griffith Ave to M50)

PLAN: .....? someone sort this area out.

South East (east of Harolds cross, N81)

PLAN Get to Cathal Bruagh Barracks

South West (Harolds cross to Phenoix Park to M50)

PLAN: .....someone sort this out too.

Outside M50

PLAN: you're fecked anyway, try get to Castle Tesco.

smegmar wrote: »

Outside M50

PLAN: you're fecked anyway, try get to Castle Tesco.
    How do you make that out? Your past the worst congestion area for traffic so have a chance to flee zombie central. All plans to stay in Dublin are flawed. Your completely cut off from basic supplies in the city, no city can survive without having things like food and water pumped into it.

Even if you do manage to fortify something like trinity (days, possibly weeks work in itself) you then have to find a way to grow food and source water. Savaging may not be possible as the million or so zombies converge on your fort.

pffft typical out of dubliner talk...:p

Trinity can be locked down in minutes, (by locking the 10foot high gates)
    for food we can raid Castle Tesco, or Dublin Port.
    for water....well it rains and we have the bay water to purify.

the population of Dublin is about 1.3 M (from memory) if we save say 250,000 and 350,000 Die, 400,000 Leave the city that leaves 300,000 Zombies at most, spread out over the entire area inside the M50.

Hell that's good odds in any war, and these zombies aren't too bright.

without derailing into a 'dublin vs everyone else [except cork, and maybe galway]' thread, basically, yea. if theres a will to survive, well, we'll survive. trinity could be locked down tho i'd say an hour preliminary, and a day to fully sort the place.

water - rain & purification tablets
    sewage - the liffey.
    food - ag. science department, vending machines, various centras and londises, etc. subway, bk, shops etc.
    electricity - generators [plenty of cars/buses = petrol]

we could do well.

anyway as i said at the start, no fightin, the war's out there, man!

also, if not in dublin, then this thread shouldn't really concern you!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Duncannon Fort. Feck staying in Dublin, head somewhere like that if you are on the East coast.

fort.jpg

Three sides are a sheer drop, and the moat at the front looks like this

Media,6577,en.gif

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »
    Duncannon Fort. Feck staying in Dublin, head somewhere like that if you are on the East coast.

nice.

pics here

although its ultimately in watreford. and not inside the m50 :(

though this is similar.

magazine fort

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Kromdar wrote: »
    nice.

pics here

although its ultimately in watreford. and not inside the m50 :(

though this is similar.

magazine fort

I don't live in Dublin so I don't care about inside the M50 ring. :D

There are plenty of martello towers around Ireland with at least one in the M50 area and five in Fota in Cork. All have nine foot thick walls with the only entrance 18 foot up and with no windows below that height.

martello%20tower%20002.jpg

There are loads of good spots in Ireland, some obvious and some right under people's noses.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Malached

On the way home from on the DART work last week, it struck me. The best plan would be to get a group, arm them if possible, and head along one of the railway lines. Get out fast. Fairly straight run, not going to get as congested as the roads. Long line of sight to watch for attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

May I suggest Lambay Island? Already has a successful farming opperation, a large country estate style house, a Martello Tower and a functioning harbour. I'd imagine it would be about 30 mins sail from the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Sorry for interrupting, but why not the Guinness Brewery instead of Trinity? It has 3 gates (I think), high walls, its own water supply, plenty of machinery, tools, vehicles, handy for the river and train tracks, buildings for shelter and edible (if not very pleasant) stuff in there. There's also at least one tall building with a flat roof, and I'm assuming a full canteen.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭wavehopper1

Hope it's okay to resurrect an old thread, instead of starting a new one.

I attended a presentation today on our new outsourced data centre in Amsterdam. Just as I was nodding off, the powerpoint pics came up of these squat buildings with bomb-proof security...eureka moment...

There are a number of server farm facilities around Ireland, including at least two separate buildings in Park West. Suppose you're working in Park West during the outbreak - everybody racing for the M50, trying to get onto the N7/N9, the airport, the docks...but you decide to stay put!

The point about data centres is that they are designed to withstand both natural disaster (floods, earthquakes) and industrial espionage (break-ins). They have their own generators to keep power running in the event of a city power outage, also plenty of water for the cooling systems. Not much food as they are manned by a small number of staff, so raids on the surrounding office canteens would be needed.

For any of you who have the misfortune of working at Park West - your reward will come in the establishment of "New Eireann" :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

nice find! wanna google map that bad boy and link us?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I'm just going to cave as many heads in as I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭wavehopper1

SmileyPaul wrote: »
    nice find! wanna google map that bad boy and link us?

http://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&q=Unit+5,+Beckett+Way,+Parkwest+Business+Park&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Beckett+Way,+Dublin+12,+County+Dublin&z=16

Just inside the M50. For alternative transport, the canal goes by the edge of it. And for those of you who saw the "Walking Dead" and are convinced that a horse is the only mode of transport - there's always a few piebalds tethered along the canal lane...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Having been in a "normal" data centre in dublin, how would you get in? The one I was in you they had a palm print scanner and a password before you could get in the front door.
    Suppose if there was a guard inside the door, and you were carrying a weeks shopping from tesco he may let you in, assuming he knows of the impending zombie apocalypse. Unless he was just watching downloaded tvshows on his laptop out of sight of the main desk...

Advertisement