Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'First Time Triathlete' - The Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

I'm based in Kildare, the nearest club is in Mullingar and I have contacted them, but most nights I wouldn't be home in time to join their sessions. My other half is also joining me in training for our first tri, but he is a bit fitter than me so i end up trailing him most of the time. It does help to have someone else though, even just to pull me off the couch! Did my 3rd day of training today, still very painful, it'll be a long road methinks!

If you think it will be, then it will be. Even when you're thinking of training, try and view it in a positive manner [/worthy]

However to get to a level where it's not absolutely revolting difficult doesn't take that long.

That said, I'd my first brick session last night. If you'd offered me my money back on my entries I'd have been very tempted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

What would be a realistic target for a first Tri?

I can run 10k in 48mins and mycycling is pretty decent. I haven't swam in a while but a year ago, I was swimming in the sea for up to 45mins at a time.

I'm thinking Beast of the East at the end of July?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭richiemack

Thanks for all the tips lads, very helpful. I'll be sure to be in top form for the race. It's hard to know how to plan training, but this thread is super. You guys have been so helpful. I'll be sure to have loads of stupid questions next week as the nerves set in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Poncherello

Beast of the East was a great event last year and it was their first time doing it. I would expect it to be even better if possible this year.
    The cycle and run are quite tough and I would strongly recommend doing a brick over the course beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

I'm based in Kildare, the nearest club is in Mullingar and I have contacted them, but most nights I wouldn't be home in time to join their sessions. My other half is also joining me in training for our first tri, but he is a bit fitter than me so i end up trailing him most of the time. It does help to have someone else though, even just to pull me off the couch! Did my 3rd day of training today, still very painful, it'll be a long road methinks!

The Mullingar swim sessions are late on a Wednesday night, could you not get along to those ? Mind you I'm not sure if they're continuing past tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,011 ✭✭✭Genghis

Depending on where you live, you should also consider the Portlaoise club, and there is a club in Naas also.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭wellboss

Hey Guys,

Seeing as I am a newbie to a pool based triathlon this coming weekend i have a very basic question. Can you push off the walls on the turns???

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

I assume you're talking about the Joey Hannon.
    Pool based, yes you can push off the walls.
    Make sure you pull over at the end to let someone pass if they tap your toes.
    Don't forget to read the briefing as well.

Yeah Joey hannon, cant wait to get back into race season, cheers for the info, that's what i thought but I wasn't a 100% sure

Enjoy the day.
    My first race of the season as well, so looking forward to seeing if there's any improvment on last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 coolout

Just wondering if anyone has words of wisdom to offer on these 2 issues:
    (i) Are Tri-suits worth the cost (I plan to do 4 or 5 triathlons this summer)?
    (ii) Is it worth upgrading from ordinary clip-in cycling shoes to triathlon-specific ones?
    Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

coolout wrote: »
    (i) Are Tri-suits worth the cost (I plan to do 4 or 5 triathlons this summer)?
    In that case, I would recommend tri-shorts at the very least. They incorporate a little bit of padding for the cycle but not so much that it interferes with your running. A decent running shirt, if you have one, would probably do. Tri clothing is, however, designed to dry quickly so if you plan on wearing the gear under your wetsuit then I'd get the proper clothing - particularly as you're doing a number of races and will get good value from them.

As to whether you should get a tri-suit or tri-short + tri-top, I can't advise - I've never tried a one-piece. Others with more experience will, I'm sure, give you good advice.

(ii) Is it worth upgrading from ordinary clip-in cycling shoes to triathlon-specific ones?
    From a performance point of view, I wouldn't think there's any difference. However, the tri specific shoes have a single strap instead of the standard three for speed of opening and closing in transition. Additionally, the strap opens away from the chain. Tri-shoes are also constructed for ventilation and water drainage. If you can stretch to a new pair (after buying your new shorts and top :) ) then I'd say go for it.

And, no, the spending doesn't ever stop ;)

Regards,

Liam

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ladytri

Definitely think the tri suits are worth the money, unflattering as they may be but much easier getting through T1 when wearing one-particularly when you're doing open water swims and trying to get out of a wetsuit, having a lovely onesy underneath is nice and handy.
    Not sure how much of a difference there is in tri-specific cycle shoes, presume its velcro straps and quick release openings or something. personally not at the stage where the shoes are clipped into the pedals so got a pair with a little grip for getting out of the sometimes tricky terrain in transition quickly without falling flat on my ass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

I managed to burn/melt my Tri shoes at the weekend :(

Who's doing Joey this weekend?

Oh and a question about punctures. I've had a few lately so the only upshot to that is that I got valuable tube changing practice :rolleyes: Whats the story with Tri's specifically Olympic distance? Someone said to me recently that if you puncture your race is over! Now, infairness he would be operating at the sharper end of things and so his 'race' with probably be done. However for us mortals in the pack what are the suggestions? Do you put your tube, levers and mini pump in your back pocket in T1? A DNF for me in my first Olympic Tri is out of the question...

BTW, hardyEustace and ladytri,... dog bites, tumbling on train tracks etc... ye are some women!!!! :D

I'm signed up for the Joey Sprint, will be great to get back to the college stomping ground and see has it changed

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ladytri

MCOS wrote: »
    I managed to burn/melt my Tri shoes at the weekend :(

Who's doing Joey this weekend?

Oh and a question about punctures. I've had a few lately so the only upshot to that is that I got valuable tube changing practice :rolleyes: Whats the story with Tri's specifically Olympic distance? Someone said to me recently that if you puncture your race is over! Now, infairness he would be operating at the sharper end of things and so his 'race' with probably be done. However for us mortals in the pack what are the suggestions? Do you put your tube, levers and mini pump in your back pocket in T1? A DNF for me in my first Olympic Tri is out of the question...

BTW, hardyEustace and ladytri,... dog bites, tumbling on train tracks etc... ye are some women!!!! :D

You're no slacker yourself MCOS- I'm sure it takes some doing to melt your tri shoes: pushing the speed barriers again are we?

ladytri wrote: »
    You're no slacker yourself MCOS- I'm sure it takes some doing to melt your tri shoes: pushing the speed barriers again are we?

I wish :p Eh... no, after convincing myself to go for a cycle in the wind and rain I hung my shoes next to a pot belly fire to dry and forgot about them! I also got a puncture on that cycle and discovered I had a bruised calf.... marvellous day altogether :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

Whats the story with Tri's specifically Olympic distance? Someone said to me recently that if you puncture your race is over! Now, infairness he would be operating at the sharper end of things and so his 'race' with probably be done.
    I suppose it depends on what your expectations of the race are. If you are happy to simply finish then your time doesn't matter. If your performance is important to you then you could deduct your repair time from your race time. If you are competing against others (as opposed to competing against yourself) then your "race" may be over but I think you should still finish the course, even if for no other reason than for the satisfaction of crossing the line.
    However for us mortals in the pack what are the suggestions? Do you put your tube, levers and mini pump in your back pocket in T1?
    No, you set your bike up before you take it down to transition. A saddle bag will hold a multi-tool, spare tube(s), levers, CO2 pump and spare cartridge. A mini pump will clip onto the frame. If you're really concerned about getting back into the saddle as quickly as possible you can include one of these in your saddle-bag.

Regards,

Liam

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Pardon my ignorance but what is a C02 pump

I have the small clip on hand pump and spare tubes in the event of a puncture ..... I havent had one yet. I assume the hand pump wont be able to get the psi to 100 but will get it firm enough to finish (my goal)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

mitresize5 wrote: »
    Pardon my ignorance but what is a C02 pump

I have the small clip on hand pump and spare tubes in the event of a puncture ..... I havent had one yet. I assume the hand pump wont be able to get the psi to 100 but will get it firm enough to finish (my goal)

A CO2 Pump is a small gadget for inflating tyres using compressed carbon dioxide. They are most likely to fail at 6am in the middle of Wicklow on St. Patricks day.

Use them only for races.
    Normal pumps for training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,011 ✭✭✭Genghis

CO2 Pump is a one-use only cartridge that basically inflates your tyre to full pressure very quickly (its a gas canister of pressurised gas that you release by pressing into the valve). Its lighter and faster than a handpump, but is also limited in that it is one-use only.

If its your first olympic distance - you have to finish.
    After than - whats the point in finishing?

Genghis wrote: »
    CO2 Pump is a one-use only cartridge that basically inflates your tyre to full pressure very quickly (its a gas canister of pressurised gas that you release by pressing into the valve). Its lighter and faster than a handpump, but is also limited in that it is one-use only.

Oh and you can stick the co2 catridges to your hand if you use them in the cold......... oh I hate co2 catridges (slow day too).

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭mitresize5

tunney wrote: »
    A CO2 Pump is a small gadget for inflating tyres using compressed carbon dioxide. They are most likely to fail at 6am in the middle of Wicklow on St. Patricks day.

Use them only for races.
    Normal pumps for training.

so all you gaining really is the time saved inflating using the CO2 pump?

mitresize5 wrote: »
    so all you gaining really is the time saved inflating using the CO2 pump?

And the weight savings.

Although its worth noting that butyl absorbs carbon dioxide and as such it won't hold its pressure when inflated with CO2 (over hours)

You also save on having a pump, the catridge fits in the saddle bag.

Whats the story with Tri's specifically Olympic distance? Someone said to me recently that if you puncture your race is over! Now, infairness he would be operating at the sharper end of things and so his 'race' with probably be done. However for us mortals in the pack what are the suggestions? :D

MCOS - Finishing in the top ten in a race instantly disqualifies you from being a mortal!!!! :p

tunney wrote: »
    If its your first olympic distance - you have to finish.
    After than - whats the point in finishing?

What do you gain from quitting?
    tagoona wrote: »
    MCOS - Finishing in the top ten in a race instantly disqualifies you from being a mortal!!!! :p

Joey Hannon standard is pretty good so I'll be doing very well to make top 50. On last years results you would have had get 2'30' for that :eek:

What do you gain from quitting?

You've punctured. You'll take 3-4 minutes to fix it. Over a sprint/olympic thats a huge amount of time. Assuming you no longer feel a sense of achievement from completing - whats the point in thrashing your body for a crap result? Next year MCOS you'll know what I mean :)

• Advertisement

So what time are you hoping for MCOS?
    I'll be doing well to do a 2'40! That's a mere mortal time!!!!

Advertisement