Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'First Time Triathlete' - The Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

MarieC wrote: »
    can the wetsuit be a shorty/sleeveless one or does it have to be the full length all over??

Shorty is ok MarieC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭griffin100

connundrum wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, what is the ruling on wetsuits/swimwear when completing the swimming leg in a pool, be it indoor or outdoor?

I'll be doing the Bunclody Tri in Aug and it will be a pool swim.

I've no probs wearing a wetsuit as I train with and without one, just a question :o

I assume you mean this one? You wount need a wetsuit for this one, the outdoor pool is heated so its warm even when its cold and raining outside, although its a strange feeling swimming in a pool whilst getting rained on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

griffin100 wrote: »
    I assume you mean this one? You wount need a wetsuit for this one, the outdoor pool is heated so its warm even when its cold and raining outside, although its a strange feeling swimming in a pool whilst getting rained on :)

Thats the one!

I'm just thinking of time saving in transitions, cos I know I'll need every second considering my running is crap :(

Will a trisuit be the best option or will I go with speedos, keep em on in T1, get cycling shorts and top over them, in T2 change from cycling shorts to running shorts...

Seems like an awful lot of bother as compared to having the one suit all the way through?!

Thats the one!

I'm just thinking of time saving in transitions, cos I know I'll need every second considering my running is crap frown.gif

Will a trisuit be the best option or will I go with speedos, keep em on in T1, get cycling shorts and top over them, in T2 change from cycling shorts to running shorts...

Seems like an awful lot of bother as compared to having the one suit all the way through?!

If you have a tri suit then wear that for the whole race. If you dont have one then tri shorts can be worn in the pool and on the bike and run. Worse case scenario wear speedos in the pool, put on cycle shorts over the speedos in T1 and keep them on for the run - they should be om for 5kms. Do not wear cycle shorts in the pool as its like swimming with a nappy on. Tri suit is by far the quickest transition option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Triathlon Newbie

Hey there,

I like you am a total beginner. Signed up for the TRI3 Series, if anyone has heard of it, a few weeks back and am furiously trying to learn to swim for July 10th. The race is on in Cahir in Tipperary and looks great. Great to see I am not the only one bricking themselves.

• Advertisement

The TI website says you need a wet suit for open water swimming, does this include river swims. ..excuse me if this is a stupid question. Very new to this whole triathlon. My first is in three weeks in cahir.

The TI website says you need a wet suit for open water swimming, does this include river swims.

yes.

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 lazyboypops

That swim in Tri795 looks great. Is that an openair heated pool?

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

tried the brother's second racer bike this morning.......its too high for me (saddle is as low as it will go) and too long for me. stretch to the handlebars is too much.

Am I naive fool to try brian boru with a mountain bike?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

not at all MarieC, MTB all the way if you want. There is no rule on what kind of bike you use as long as you have a helmet and the bike is in good working order.

Also, I can organise a loan of a racing bike for you if you like. Your size of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Also Planet Tri in Killaloe will rent you a bike for the day as well if your willing to consider him when your buying .... and you will buy cause after your first you'll be hooked

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

mitresize5 wrote: »
    Also Planet Tri in Killaloe will rent you a bike for the day as well if your willing to consider him when your buying .... and you will buy cause after your first you'll be hooked

Thanks for that Mitresize5, just rang them there - €22 to rent the bike for the day so thats not bad at all. Plus its a hybrid so I should be able to manage that ok. Definitely good to know it as an option anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I decided last week to do a Sprint Triathlon in two weeks time, on Sept 10th/11th. (after being told by a few friends that there is no way i'd be able for it)
    750m swim
    20k bike
    5k run

First time Triathlon.
    No swim training done
    No biking done.

Have bene doing GAA training and gym work all summer, so i'm in good shape - I'm well able to run.
    I hit training last Wednesday

Did 60 lengths last Friday in 40mins
    80 lengths yesterday in an hour. (first 30 lengths in 22 mins)

Two bike sessions (on a hybrid bike)
    both 26km.
    20km done in 42mins.

Going to try a few brick sessions this week
    and an open water swim or two in a lake

I've to get a swimming wetsuit. Any recommendations?
    any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Judging by your training you are well able for it.

There are some places that rent wetsuits if you do not want to shell out for one.

Other than that the only tips I would give are:
    • Make a list of what you need for the race and make sure it's all packed.
    • Enjoy yourself!

got my 20k bike time down to 40 mins today!
    if only I had a decent bike!

any links for places that rent swimming wetsuits? midlands/north leinster

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    got my 20k bike time down to 40 mins today!
    if only I had a decent bike!

any links for places that rent swimming wetsuits? midlands/north leinster

Cycle superstore in Dublin, not sure of others.

right, training going well. 3 swim and 3 bike sessions last week. 1 running (which took more out of me that all the others!)

have got the loan of an Orca wetsuit for this triathlon. went for a lake swim. tougher than I thought it would be. did about 40 mins swimming, 50 mins in the water.

hopefully getting the loan of a decent bike too. want to try it before the race though.
    the plan this week (race next weekend) is to practice coming out of the water onto the bike wth transition, but not doing distances. and session or two getting off bike and start running a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Best of luck Nice guy, Im thinking of getting into tris myself next year. Keep us updated on your progress

lets be clear about this...
    I intend to do this ONE sprint triathlon, and then quit the sport!
    before my competitive streak kicks in

• Advertisement

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    the plan this week (race next weekend) is to practice coming out of the water onto the bike wth transition, but not doing distances. and session or two getting off bike and start running a bit

The swim to bike transition is usually fine for most people. Sometimes you feel a little bit disorientated coming out of the water but otherwise you will be fine. Definitely practise the bike to run transition though. You're legs will feel like jelly (or at least different to doing a stright run) so it's worth doing if only to know what to expect.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

The swim to bike transition is usually fine for most people. Sometimes you feel a little bit disorientated coming out of the water but otherwise you will be fine. Definitely practise the bike to run transition though. You're legs will feel like jelly (or at least different to doing a stright run) so it's worth doing if only to know what to expect.

Good luck!

+1 on bike to run......it can take practice !

right, just to keep you all up to date!
    Have the One Day licence bought and entry paid to the event
    starting to get nervous!

training more or less complete
    just a few light sessions planned for this week (race week)

went out on the bike today. have knocked 4 minutes off my 20k time in one week. Go me!!
    two lake swimming sessions done this week. one was a very choppy day so had to get used of swimming into big waves. (good wetsuit makes a huge difference)
    bit of a run as well, not too worried about that. once I get going I'll finish

any tips for this week? carb loading on Thursday and Friday obviously and loads of water all week
    for the race itself? things to bring? whats needed for transition? how to plan that correctly?
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Which race are you doing nice_guy80? Loads of sprints on all over the country this weekend.

Tri an Mhi Sprint Race

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Doing it myself. I wanted to do the Pulse Tri but there was no individual entries left. My one tip would be to make a checklist of everything you need & tick them off when everything is packed in the car. I did a race a few weeks ago & it was the first time I hadn't done a checklist. It was only until I entered the transition area that I realised I had forgotten my helmet. Doh!
    I was lucky enough to get a loan of one on the day.

look out for the lad who looks like he hasn't a clue what he's doing... that'll be me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

Have any compeditive swimmers or former compeditive swimmers on here started triathlon training? How did it affect your swimming afterwards? When coaching or teaching I can usually spot a runner a mile off because of the lack of flexability in the ankle, which really kills you if your are trying to swim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭johnnyb1

Unpossible wrote: »
    Have any compeditive swimmers or former compeditive swimmers on here started triathlon training? How did it affect your swimming afterwards? When coaching or teaching I can usually spot a runner a mile off because of the lack of flexability in the ankle, which really kills you if your are trying to swim.
    How can I improve flexability in ankle?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

johnnyb1 wrote: »
    How can I improve flexability in ankle?

Sorry i could not help myself:)

Misery_Photo.jpg

Advertisement