Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'First Time Triathlete' - The Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 osgur

posted some of below on another thread.........

completed 5 sprints this year and have to say I am absolutely addicted to the sport. can only describe it as the best sport I have taken part in...

Want to do some proper training this Winter. Starting in a couple of weeks. Run and bike the key areas im looking to target as im quiet a strong swimmer, but pretty poor on the other 2 events. ( about 40mins for 20k on bike ) Next year I hope do 3 or 4 olympics and 7 or 8 sprints.

Over the winter im thinking ...

3 swims a week ... probably going to join a club for at least one of those

going to buy a turbo trainer and have 4 cycles including a long one each week

Run wise I need to join a club also and do another 4 sessions a week.

looking at 10 hours or so.

Anyone else willing to share their possible winter training program ? or any thoughts on mine above

osgur

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

osgur wrote: »
    posted some of below on another thread.........

completed 5 sprints this year and have to say I am absolutely addicted to the sport. can only describe it as the best sport I have taken part in...

Want to do some proper training this Winter. Starting in a couple of weeks. Run and bike the key areas im looking to target as im quiet a strong swimmer, but pretty poor on the other 2 events. ( about 40mins for 20k on bike ) Next year I hope do 3 or 4 olympics and 7 or 8 sprints.

Over the winter im thinking ...

3 swims a week ... probably going to join a club for at least one of those

going to buy a turbo trainer and have 4 cycles including a long one each week

Run wise I need to join a club also and do another 4 sessions a week.

looking at 10 hours or so.

Anyone else willing to share their possible winter training program ? or any thoughts on mine above

osgur

Gald you enjoyed your first season.

I don't think you have a plan in mind of where you want to be and what is required to get there. Devise some specific goals and then see what needs to change to get there. Then devise your training plan. Vary it from week to week and be careful of overracing and overtraining. Training makes you weaker, recovery makes you stronger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

11 sessions a week into 10 hours (avg 55 min sessions?!) doesn't add up for a winter program as your winter stuff should probably be longer and more aerobic like.

If swimming is your strongest do you need 3 sessions a week with it? Perhaps you could drop one for a run

Perhaps condensing 2 of the bike sessions into one medium length bike?

What I'm getting at is that the number of sessions is less important than the quality and purpose of each session

Tri sure is addictive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

MCOS wrote: »
    11 sessions a week into 10 hours (avg 55 min sessions?!) doesn't add up for a winter program as your winter stuff should probably be longer and more aerobic like.

If swimming is your strongest do you need 3 sessions a week with it? Perhaps you could drop one for a run

Forgot to ask that - what do you define as strong for swimming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 osgur

Thanks for the thoughts folks

My swimming is far from being perfect but is easily strongest of the 3. Trianmhi for example I ranked in top 30 swim, in the mid 40's on bike in the 60's on run. Almost everyone around me on the results had a different profile… as in weak on swim and strong on bike and run. A lot of work to do with the swim but not half as much relative to the other 2. Never really biked at all before this year.

In terms of 'longer and more aerobic' what exactly do you mean …
    I was think pool sessions of 45 mins to and hour….. If I was to have 2 of these a week for the winter should they be longer ?
    I think I need to just put the hours in on the bike for the winter but the run needs a lot of work. Going to sign up for Pulse's Monday & Wednesday track sessions in tallaght. Should be a start.
    10 hours is also abit unrealistic for the winter I think also, April / may is a long way a way. Perhaps 8 or so hours a week until Jan is more realistic.
    Bought Joe Friels trainingbible last week… anyone read it ?

• Advertisement

For all the Tri people heading into a winter of swim focussed training...

an interesting link and programme for you to download. Visualisation is right... just stare at it for a few minutes a day and hope you brain absorbs something to make you swim faster!

http://www.swimsmooth.com/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭griffin100

For all the Tri people heading into a winter of swim focussed training...

an interesting link and programme for you to download. Visualisation is right... just stare at it for a few minutes a day and hope you brain absorbs something to make you swim faster!

http://www.swimsmooth.com/index.html

This one is also good

http://www.virtual-swim.com/3d_mv/top_btn/free/3d_s_free.html

I like the way you can rotate the view of the swimmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 keanecm

Hi all

Like a lot of you I have decided to throw my hat into the triathlon ring. Am 31 now and have played soccer/rugby/gaelic and have done the adidas race series for the last 2 years (not the marathon). I run 10k in about 45 minutes and have done a bit of cycling before. My big worry is the swim. I have only started swimming properly in the last 2 weeks (haven't done lengths of a pool for 15 years) and can only do 4 lengths front crawl of a 25m pool without stopping. I want to join a tri club but I'm afraid that my swimming is nowhere near strong enough to be in a club.

In another thread I asked peoples thoughts on what club to join as I live in Blackrock and work in the city centre so I am going to look at 3d or Piranha.

Could people give me their thoughts on:

1. Can you join a club even if you are an extremely weak swimmer?

2. Views on 3d or Piranaha?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

keanecm wrote: »
    Could people give me their thoughts on:

1. Can you join a club even if you are an extremely weak swimmer?

2. Views on 3d or Piranaha?

No idea on either club to be honest. From tunney's post on your other thread I'd say both are good. have a chat with both and which ever you get a better feel for go with them.

I would have thought that joining a club would help your swimming. I'm sure most clubs organise swim sessions aimed at improving their members swimming. If you're not comfortable with this then get soem lessons before joining the club in their swim sessions. This could also be a question to put to the club you are thinking of joining. I'm sure club runs, cycles and cross training would benefit you too so don't let your weak swimming put you off not joining. Lots of swimming practice coupled with patience and the swimming will come good.

Best of luck with your venture into the world of triathlon and multi-sport. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Karlrove

Hi Guys,Ive been trawling through the posts but said Id ask anyway. I havent done a triathlon or marathon,I do have okay level of f itnesI like swimming,have no bike etc...anyway Im looking into trying to train for triathlon. I get bored using gym only. Any advice on starting off..? Any help,advice welcomed. Cheers,Karl

• Advertisement

probably the best thing you can do is set yourself a goal race and that now gives you something to aim for. Work backwards from that with a progressive plan to get you in the shape you need to complete the goal. Train easy at all 3 disciplines over the winter and focus more specifically on one if you have a stand out weakness.

All you need to start out

Runners
    A bike (any one will do)
    swim togs
    goggles

and running/cycle gear to keep you warm over the winter.

Aim to be able to complete the distance in each event in its own right. For example. Sprint Tri 750m swim/ 20k bike/ 5k run. Knowing you can do the distance in one of them on any given session will cement the foundations of confidence you need to string them together on the day.

Ask lots of questions but have a read of this thread as lots of good stuff in it already

Best of luck:)

Just strolled by 'Wheels of Bloor' in Toronto.... phaorr the bike bling ... cant wait to have a goggle tomorrow when its open. If only I had a few spare grand with me. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13 eugenemcardle

Has anybody raced in the Quarteira Triathlon in Portugal as I'd like to compete in my 1st sprint triathlon there next year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bagheera

Hi guys

First time posting on this forum as I'm training for my 1st sprint tri this summer. I'm really enjoying the swimming and cycling but not a fan of running.

Anyone else doing the Skerries sprint tri on the 27th of June?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 SavannahRose

Hi ,

I'm doing my first Tri in Valentia on 22nd May.I have also signed up for Athy Sprint ( 5th June and Athlone Sprint ( 3rd July I think). Friends also entered me for Dunmore Tri on the 19 th June.. I wasn't really planning on doing this one but family from there orginially so would be nice to do.

Do you think this is too many races considering I'm new. There are two weeks in between each one ?? Should I take more time in between.. They are ones I would like to do tho.. just hoping I wont be taking on too much.

Any advice from more expierenced triathletes would be good!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hi ,

I'm doing my first Tri in Valentia on 22nd May.I have also signed up for Athy Sprint ( 5th June and Athlone Sprint ( 3rd July I think). Friends also entered me for Dunmore Tri on the 19 th June.. I wasn't really planning on doing this one but family from there orginially so would be nice to do.

Do you think this is too many races considering I'm new. There are two weeks in between each one ?? Should I take more time in between.. They are ones I would like to do tho.. just hoping I wont be taking on too much.

Any advice from more expierenced triathletes would be good!

Hi SavannaghRose,

I don't think there is any harm in doing 4 sprints in the space of 2 months. It really depends on what condition you are in now and what you want to get out of the races. Its great to have a plan and a series of goals but I would suggest taking one at a time.

Start with Valentia and see how that goes for you. Most of all enjoy it. If its not fun then doing the others will feel like a chore to satisfy the whim of your peeps. Most importantly listen to your body and be honest with yourself. You are either up for it or not. If Valentia really takes it out of you then have a think about whether you can recover fully for another one in under 2 weeks.

Valentia is 5 weeks away so ensure that you get a couple of 90min cycles in. Also a couple of shorter cycles with an easy 10min run afterwards. Lastly a dip in a lake the week before the event for a feel of the OW. Yes its damn chilly in there now but with this weather OW swiimming should be good to go in a few weeks. Fingers crossed we get better conditions there than last year.

Best of luck with those events and let us know how you get on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Hey,
    I'm a newbie and doing my first tri in a couple of weeks. It's a pool based tri and I find that after training in a pool my face gets very very dry. The skin goes all white and flaky and gets very tight. Is there anything I can do so I don't get this in a race. Cant see it being too comfortable having the wind in my face in that condition during he cycle. Does anyone else get this? I find that I need a few applications of moisturiser before I'm right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Can anyone recommend a sprint olym tri at end of July august? Preferrably one that isn't sold out! I know of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Jupiter36

Bagheera wrote: »
    Hi guys

First time posting on this forum as I'm training for my 1st sprint tri this summer. I'm really enjoying the swimming and cycling but not a fan of running.

Anyone else doing the Skerries sprint tri on the 27th of June?

I'm not doing it this summer; would definitely do it again but the dates just don't suit. It was one of my favourites last summer. The swim is very straightforward (the bouy burst last year so sighting was a little challenging); the bike course has a few short climbs on it and a lovely downhill back into Skerries. If you are not keen on running, then this is for you - the run is out and back along the promenade - mostly flat with the exception of a small incline (which you get to run down on the way back). Lovely crowd and if the weather is fine, you'll be laughing! Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 dietryin

Thank God for this tread. Have been talked into (very easily I think) to do a tri this summer and haven't a clue how to start or how to train for one. It's only a sprint 750m swim, 20k bike and 5k run...I think! Only thing is where to begin? I do run and can swim but God biking puts the fear of God into me :eek:. I'm just sooo bad at it find it terrible hard and it's just an old mountain bike, don't think it's worth putting the amount of money into a bike like some of the buddies have cause I'm not convinced I'd get the use out of it to justify the cost! So any ideas welcome. I run 6 days a week and swim 3 times and bike as little as possible wrong I know but will rectify that tommorow by cycling everywhere I can from now on. The tri is on the 1st aug so plenty of time to get up to 20k biking, but it's the transitions that I havent a clue how to deal with any help be welcome:) `

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭griffin100

Can anyone recommend a sprint olym tri at end of July august? Preferrably one that isn't sold out! I know of Dublin.

www.racing795.com/tri795/

August 1st in Bunclody, Co. Wexford. Come and stay for the weekend or drive down on the day - late start will allow for such. 500m outdoor pool swim; 20kms bike; 5km run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

dietryin wrote: »
    Thank God for this tread. Have been talked into (very easily I think) to do a tri this summer and haven't a clue how to start or how to train for one. It's only a sprint 750m swim, 20k bike and 5k run...I think! Only thing is where to begin? I do run and can swim but God biking puts the fear of God into me :eek:. I'm just sooo bad at it find it terrible hard and it's just an old mountain bike, don't think it's worth putting the amount of money into a bike like some of the buddies have cause I'm not convinced I'd get the use out of it to justify the cost! So any ideas welcome.
    A mountain bike will get you round 20Km ok but it'll be slower mainly due to the weight. Its grand for your first Tri if you're just checking it out. I did a duathlon with a 16km cycle last year on one and then had a racer for it this year and it made about 5mins of difference (36mins v 31 mins).
    I run 6 days a week and swim 3 times and bike as little as possible wrong I know but will rectify that tommorow by cycling everywhere I can from now on. The tri is on the 1st aug so plenty of time to get up to 20k biking, but it's the transitions that I havent a clue how to deal with any help be welcome:) `

Running and swimming that frequently should see you well set once you get some cycling practice in. If you've ever cycled a bike then you'll be fine. Running straight after the bike is the hardest thing to get used to so eventualy practice that (Brick Session) once you're ok on the bike. Your legs might feel like jelly for the first few mins :( but its just getting used to using different muscles.

Transitions should be fine if you're organised. I don't know if you'll have a wetsuit on for your swim (is it outdoors?), but have your running shorts / singlet on under it if you do. Have a towel ready to quickly dry your feet and pop on your runners. Have a jacket there if its cold or wet. Put on your helmet, grap your bike and go :). On the way back, rack your bike, drop your helmet and jacket and go again :). Have a bottle of water on your bike and another at transition. There are other things you could do, but they're the basics.

God thats a day's work just dealing with the basics, how do you remember it all:eek:, good idea trying the biking and then going for a run that I hear is quite hard on the legs. I dusted off the old bike and went around the block....Question do the have paramedics on the course cause I will need it cause I died after...god and I thought I was fit....not for the bike am I. And I volunteered for this God help me, but it's in Aug so there is time isn't it to get up 20k isn't there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

God thats a day's work just dealing with the basics, how do you remember it all:eek:, good idea trying the biking and then going for a run that I hear is quite hard on the legs. I dusted off the old bike and went around the block....Question do the have paramedics on the course cause I will need it cause I died after...god and I thought I was fit....not for the bike am I. And I volunteered for this God help me, but it's in Aug so there is time isn't it to get up 20k isn't there?

20km should be no bother at all as long as you start slow and build slow. Try getting the cycling sorted before you do the run off the bike or it won't be worth it. I don't know how far you can cycle but try 10-15mins at a slow pace and then add on 5min blocks every few days if its working ok for you. Don't increase your distance by more than 10% per week once you can cycle 30 mins. If its too hard, then just go slower, its not a sprint at this stage.

And they probably will have paramedics :).

The starting slow will be no bother believe me, it's the keeping going that will be. Think I can manage 10-15min on the flat, they not going to be sneaky and put in loads of hill do you think :rolleyes: It's taking place in Ballinasloe so anyone any idea of the terrain? Thanks for all the help so far, think I'll be coming back for more tho, have that feeling alright :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Hey,
    I'm a newbie and doing my first tri in a couple of weeks. It's a pool based tri and I find that after training in a pool my face gets very very dry. The skin goes all white and flaky and gets very tight. Is there anything I can do so I don't get this in a race. Cant see it being too comfortable having the wind in my face in that condition during he cycle. Does anyone else get this? I find that I need a few applications of moisturiser before I'm right.

No one else suffer from this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 flynne8

hi,

was wondering of anyone could email me a good traing schedule for a full tri?? ive tried onlie but cant seem to find one, also tried all he magazines in town today, but no of them had one!!

Doing Dub tri....

Anyone doing velvet strand in afew weeks??

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

Flynn8 :not sure what level your looking at but the link below is a good place to start ,good website too .

http://www.irishtriathlon.com/index.php/2010/03/beginners-triathlon-training-plan/

This forum too has some sharks on it who know their stuff .

The triathlonireland website itself is not too bad either .

• Registered Users Posts: 9 flynne8

Flynn8 :not sure what level your looking at but the link below is a good place to start ,good website too .

http://www.irishtriathlon.com/index.php/2010/03/beginners-triathlon-training-plan/

This forum too has some sharks on it who know their stuff .

The triathlonireland website itself is not too bad either .

cheers for that.......

I did my first tri (sprint) last year, had an auwful swim, i couldnt keep my head underwater cause when i did my googles steamed up and i couldnt see anything!!also people who had their head underwater had no sense of direction and were going all over the place!!(i was at the back) I really had to slow down and let them go ahead.....

Did anyone ever have a similar problem??

Also How many open water trial swims should i have before?? Is anyone doing velvet strand tri? Perhaps we culd have a trial swim!!!

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bagheera

Jupiter36 wrote: »
    I'm not doing it this summer; would definitely do it again but the dates just don't suit. It was one of my favourites last summer. The swim is very straightforward (the bouy burst last year so sighting was a little challenging); the bike course has a few short climbs on it and a lovely downhill back into Skerries. If you are not keen on running, then this is for you - the run is out and back along the promenade - mostly flat with the exception of a small incline (which you get to run down on the way back). Lovely crowd and if the weather is fine, you'll be laughing! Enjoy!

I've really got into the training now and have cycled a good chunk of the cycle course a couple of times. Finding that Ardgillan hill very hard; my bike isn't the best! Running is going better than expected; I'm actually starting to enjoy it. Looking forward to the challenge.

Advertisement