Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'First Time Triathlete' - The Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Welcome humph :)

FYI I got a road bike for €800 last winter and with a set of clip on bars its seen me through my first Tri season so far with no problems. It will also get me through this winter training and another season of Tri if I don't purchase again in the Spring

If your budget is 1k then you must factor in all the other bits you will need to get for riding the bike, especially though winter. I'm sure there is a comprehensive list somewhere if you have a read of this thread but some real basics

pedals
    shoes
    helmet
    jersey
    shorts
    computer
    shoe covers
    leggings
    spare tubes
    pump
    levers
    hi vis jacket
    etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 humph

cheers mcos , i'll need all that too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭macy9

I was going to join piranhas but membership runs from January to December which means id be due another 220 euro in 3 months time, seems very unfair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Hi All
    Completed my first event at Eireman sprint - such a buzz afterwards when finished, definitely addictive
    Hoping to get a few more in before end of September - will let you know what happens
    Currently getting great tips from reading previous posts on the forum
    Still need loads of work on my swimming if I'm to complete a 750m in any kind of realistic time

DustyBin wrote: »
    Hi All
    Completed my first event at Eireman sprint - such a buzz afterwards when finished, definitely addictive
    Hoping to get a few more in before end of September - will let you know what happens
    Currently getting great tips from reading previous posts on the forum
    Still need loads of work on my swimming if I'm to complete a 750m in any kind of realistic time

Well done DustyBin on completing your first Tri :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 playonwords

Hi everyone,

First post:

I decided to do a triathlon next year, one of these 'must do before you die' kicks,

I have a question, and any feedback would be brilliant,

Is it a good idea to go straight into a triathalon without doing a fun run / duathalon first?

I intend on entering the hell of the west in kilkee next year, im hoping to just complete it in a resonable time, not going for gold or anything.

I have no experience in this type of sport, and was also wondering what do you guys do for motivation? (im afraid in case i lose it)

Thanks

Hi everyone,

First post:

I decided to do a triathlon next year, one of these 'must do before you die' kicks,

I have a question, and any feedback would be brilliant,

Is it a good idea to go straight into a triathalon without doing a fun run / duathalon first?

I intend on entering the hell of the west in kilkee next year, im hoping to just complete it in a resonable time, not going for gold or anything.

I have no experience in this type of sport, and was also wondering what do you guys do for motivation? (im afraid in case i lose it)

Thanks

I know 2 people quite well who both did Kilkee HOTW as their first Tri. They got through it but cannot say the 'enjoyed' the toughest physical thing they had done in their lives to that point.

So, of course you can aim for that an do it. I'd advise doing a duathlon and a sprint Tri at least... guarantee they will whet your appetite for Kilkee :)

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭size5

Doing my second tri this year and its Loughrea. Anyone doing it or more importantly anyone done it last year & whats it like?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Anyone doing the 25.5 series in Galway? I need one more race this season and they seem to only ones still open.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭griffin100

Doing my second tri this year and its Loughrea. Anyone doing it or more importantly anyone done it last year & whats it like?

I did it lat year. The swim is in the lake and it's like swimming in Ballygowan the water is that clear. The bike is an undulating one on rough enough country roads with a big hill at about 15km I think. The run is a simple enough out and back with a little hill on the way back. It lashed rain the whole time last year but there were still loads of cheerful marshals on the course. A really well run race. You'll enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭messed_up

macy9 wrote: »
    I was going to join piranhas but membership runs from January to December which means id be due another 220 euro in 3 months time, seems very unfair.

Mi Macy9

PM for me for an alternative training option between now and January. A few friends are looking to establish a new club in North Dublin - might be handy for you.........

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

MCOS wrote: »
    I know 2 people quite well who both did Kilkee HOTW as their first Tri. They got through it but cannot say the 'enjoyed' the toughest physical thing they had done in their lives to that point.

So, of course you can aim for that an do it. I'd advise doing a duathlon and a sprint Tri at least... guarantee they will whet your appetite for Kilkee :)

hotw is a very tough first race alright.
    I know I did Joey Hannon as my first - pool swim and dual carriageway cycle made it easier.
    As long as you spend 4-5 months prepping for an olympic race, you can complete it. For someone who wants to do limited training and just try the multi-disciplinary sports, I agree with MCOS, a sprint distance is the ideal way to start. I don't think there's much point in avoiding the swim and doing a duathlon, unless you consider it a brick session.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭Bambaata

i dont really want to start a new thread for this so i thought it best to ask it here. Is it possible to buy a single Vision TT 250mm bar? Now that i have one functioning one i need to get it another partner since that one is now in two!!

I can see a set here - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=36151 but i only need 1 bar!

Also if i do need to get the new kit i was thinking of getting 1 size up. to the 270's. would this mean id more than likely need to get new cables or is there generally that amount of slack? i can measure at least 1cm spare at the cable ends at the gears but am concerned i still might not have 1cm extra of reach to the bars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭cantona56

size5 wrote: »

see you there size 5!:D

Bambaata wrote: »
    i dont really want to start a new thread for this so i thought it best to ask it here. Is it possible to buy a single Vision TT 250mm bar? Now that i have one functioning one i need to get it another partner since that one is now in two!!

I can see a set here - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=36151 but i only need 1 bar!

Also if i do need to get the new kit i was thinking of getting 1 size up. to the 270's. would this mean id more than likely need to get new cables or is there generally that amount of slack? i can measure at least 1cm spare at the cable ends at the gears but am concerned i still might not have 1cm extra of reach to the bars

Best bet might be to mail Vision and see if they sell spares(since you only need the bar and not the cup, clamp etc..), if so get a part number and get to a LBS... (a certain one on the quays stock them I think :rolleyes:)

I have the same bars on mine, shocked to see they are over £100 tho'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭Bambaata

cheers on the heads up about the certain shop on the quays. fortunately i know one of the guys in there so ill ring him now.

I'll also mail FSA on the parts. Doesn't seem like they do from their site eventhough most of the competition do!

I managed to pick up a set of 25mm spacers for the same bars in with them anyway a few weeks back so you might be lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 SavannahRose

I'm thinking of joining a triathalon club in Dublin- possibly 3 D or Pulse . Is anyone a member of either of these or have any feedback on them, that would be great.

Oh should also add that I'm new to Triathalon too. Well I aim to do my first Sprint next year when season starts.I need to join a gym now to sort out my swimming during the Winter. I havent swam in years. I used to swim loads in the sea when teenager( I'm 30 now , never too late I suppose!!)and could swim for ages no probs but I wil be a disaster now PLUS have to relearn how swim properly, technique and breathing. When I learned swim it was on beach with family and it was case of put the head down and go for it! I only bought my first racer too bout 6 weeks ago and I never actually liked cycling until I got this bike. Can probably do 2o k or therabouts in 55/60 mins but only starting out on this too. Running is the one I dread the most, did an 8k few months as part one of the Adidas races in Phoenix park in about 45 mins but I find going out myself that I just want to stop ( and do! ) after 20/25 mins. Find it hard to motivate myself at it and keep going.I used play basketball and gaelic and like the faster sprinting/running than the endurance work. So its a case of putting the work in now over the Winter months, prob do spinning and swimming in gym and try get out for few jogs each week. I'm looking forward to doing my first Tri and I think this thread is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Oh should also add that I'm new to Triathalon too. Well I aim to do my first Sprint next year when season starts.I need to join a gym now to sort out my swimming during the Winter. I havent swam in years. I used to swim loads in the sea when teenager( I'm 30 now , never too late I suppose!!)and could swim for ages no probs but I wil be a disaster now PLUS have to relearn how swim properly, technique and breathing. When I learned swim it was on beach with family and it was case of put the head down and go for it! I only bought my first racer too bout 6 weeks ago and I never actually liked cycling until I got this bike. Can probably do 2o k or therabouts in 55/60 mins but only starting out on this too. Running is the one I dread the most, did an 8k few months as part one of the Adidas races in Phoenix park in about 45 mins but I find going out myself that I just want to stop ( and do! ) after 20/25 mins. Find it hard to motivate myself at it and keep going.I used play basketball and gaelic and like the faster sprinting/running than the endurance work. So its a case of putting the work in now over the Winter months, prob do spinning and swimming in gym and try get out for few jogs each week. I'm looking forward to doing my first Tri and I think this thread is great.

Alot of clubs are on a break at this time of the year since for most the tri season is finished or just about. Typically things start back in October.
    There are several large clubs in Dublin - the triathlonireland.ie website provides a list of them. Each clubs website will typically list the training activities and locations.

Ive been with 3D for the last year and have enjoyed coached sessions in the three disciplines. As with the other clubs in Dublin there's a try-before-you-buy period when you can attend a few sessions before deciding whether the club and you are a good match before handing over your cash.

Its a great time of the year to be thinking about taking a sprint / oly tri on next year - you'll have loads of time over the winter to get yourself ready for it.

• Advertisement

Thanks for info. It will be good to have something to aim for through the Winter, keep me busy too!! I had a look at the Winter schedule for 3D last night and big plus for me on that is the cycling- they have begineer/inter groups separate to the advanced. The other club I was looking at just has arranged cycles between members which might of not been so good for me when only starting. I'll def look into this more .
    How were your first triathalons this year ? Have you got the bug!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Thanks for info. It will be good to have something to aim for through the Winter, keep me busy too!! I had a look at the Winter schedule for 3D last night and big plus for me on that is the cycling- they have begineer/inter groups separate to the advanced. The other club I was looking at just has arranged cycles between members which might of not been so good for me when only starting. I'll def look into this more .
    How were your first triathalons this year ? Have you got the bug!!

It was my first year with a club but Ive done them for 3 now. They're very addictive and definitely help focus things when training through the winter.

just fyi
    The weekly spins vary between beginner and inter groups to the advanced tend to be a single spin during october and november and december - they're more social than anything else and the pace is controlled to ensure the group starts and finishes together. Safety in numbers is key and there's loads of shelter behind people when the elements aren't the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

I'm thinking of joining a triathalon club in Dublin- possibly 3 D or Pulse . Is anyone a member of either of these or have any feedback on them, that would be great.
    where you based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Bullmastiff

Greetings all! I lurk no more! first post.

Howdy SavannaRose,

I'm in exactly the same position as yourself, I've been wanting to give a Tri a go myself for some time now, I'm 35, started swimming recently, and can run around 10k. I cycle around 30k to work and back about 3 times a week.
    I did Gaelforce last year but havent been up to much since then. I'm lookin' to do a sprint distance event in the new year, than an Olympic distance in the summer.
    I'm planning on going to one of 3d Tri's
    beginner cycling sessions in the park in Oct, with a view to joining the club in Jan. The first one's on the 4th Oct. but I'll be away on hols then. I've read good things online about 3D Tri, and I'm northside based so the Park is handy for training; also liking this thread, great idea for newbies like me! Any direction from other boardies gratefully received.

Welcome Savannahrose and Bullmastiff :)

Best of luck on your Tri quest. There are lots of great nuggets of info in this thread if you give it a read someday. Get stuck into some training over the winter and enter a Tri when the registrations open in the spring... you won't regret it! As advised by the other guys, joining a club is a significant step towards completing your first Tri

kennyb3 wrote: »
    where you based?

I'm based near Terenure

Thanks to MCOS and Interested , I will def keep focused over Winter and hopefully my swimming will fall into place ( a lot work needed ) and focus on my running too ie don't stop running when I know can keep runing!!!

Hi Bullmastiff, I think I will be going to some 3Ds cycle sessions too , see how goes. You have a great fitness base already it seems with your cycling to work and running 10k. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 a2dg

Hi im interested in competing in a sprint triathlon, and was wondering if there are any on around dec/jan? any info would be great thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

a2dg wrote: »
    Hi im interested in competing in a sprint triathlon, and was wondering if there are any on around dec/jan? any info would be great thanks :)

Season runs from April or so to September, best option are the Naas Duathlons in janurary and february.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Or of course the fantastic duathlons held in Limerick in Feb/Mar!:)

Advertisement