Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

Underworld Awakening:

Not much of a plot but it is an Underworld movie. I expected 90 mins of Kate Beckinsale in a skintight catsuit killing everything in her sight like a boss. It delivered. Fun times. 6.5/10

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Bassboxxx wrote: »
    Battle Royal Decent film, but I didn't really get the message if there was one:confused: If it was a message to kids to be more obedient I'd be a little disappointed :rolleyes:

The message is that you don't **** with Takeshi Kitano.

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Mansized Wreath

The Ninth Gate- Well actually re-watched it,brilliant film.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

The Pianist - Very good film but not a patch on Schindlers List

Network - The acting and dialogue was outstanding and it definetely deserves its classic status.

Cinema Paradiso - Not as good as I thought it would be. Everything in it was forced onto you especially the emotional scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

The message is that you don't **** with Takeshi Kitano.

That is all.

I'll take that:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

The Raid: I loved it. It's not even really a movie it's more of an experience, i've never seen a movie where there was so much interaction between the audience...there was even a round of applause after one of the fight scenes...mid movie...in feckin Ireland! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Tayleur

The Descendants. Found it to be a big old meh of a movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

The Beguiled.

A wonderful gothic set piece but them harpie's
    sure did a dirty job on The Clint.

:eek:

All he did was to try to be a humanitarian during the war.

:(

• Site Banned Posts: 105 ✭✭telly_lover

Quantum of Solace - I've decided I don't like Daniel Craig as Bond.
    Layer Cake - Like Rockn'Rolla except a little lacking on the plot side.
    Bigga Then Ben - I wasn't expecting much and I didn't get much. It's low budget but it has some killer lines.
    Howl (Biopic of the poet Allen Ginsberg) It's unusual and I like it. I like how they used animation for some of the poetry scenes.
    Pineapple Express - I usually can't stand Seth Rogan but this was funny. And James Franco is hilarious in it.

i actually liked quantum of sollace the second time i saw it but daniel craig is too much of a bruiser to be bond , he,s just not cool and sophisticated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

Hot Fuzz - on TV3 right now.

What's great about this film is that I am always copping on to new jokes!!

Latest - "Forget it, Nicholas. It's Sandford."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,547 ✭✭✭✭briany

Trust (2010): A 14 year old girl's life is thrown into turmoil when an older predatory online suitor comes into her life and makes advances toward her.

Very good drama which tries to give a three dimensional portrayal of such a scenario and how it affects the people caught up in it.

8/10

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Love Letter

A film that constantly runs the risk of being sentimental crap, but impressively never is. A very genuine and warm-hearted film, and its sentimental streak actually works as director Iwai Shunji knows that balance between crowd-pleasing and genuine emotion. A real affection for its characters helps, as does smart cinematography and unusual but engaging editing techniques. Pitch-perfect ending, too.

For what it is, can't imagine anyone doing any better. Amazed it hasn't had a remake, because it's the rare film that would appeal to a more mainstream audience as well as world cinema fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

American Beauty

Haven't seen it in years. God damn it's a good movie. Do yourself a favor and watch it if you haven't yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

Chinese - Godard film from the 1960s about Communism.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Wanderlust - disappointing successor to Role Models by David Wain. Role Models was fun, silly OTT good fun. But this was just lazy cringey humour, particularly Rudd's "dick / dyick / vag" monologue in front of the mirror. Not good at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I had the misfortune to catch the end of "Hot Fuzz" (2007) last night and what a pile of crap - I want those minutes of my life back TV3! It was neither remotely funny or exciting. I see over on Imdb it gets a high rating but I just don't get it. Somebody else please agree with me. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I had the misfortune to catch the end of "Hot Fuzz" (2007) last night and what a pile of crap - I want those minutes of my life back TV3! It was neither remotely funny or exciting. I see over on Imdb it gets a high rating but I just don't get it. Somebody else please agree with me. :D

Can you really pass judgement on a film if you only seen the end of it? Have to say I liked it, not as good as Shaun of the Dead but still good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Hot Fuzz is fantastic, ahead of Shaun of the Dead for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I saw the end of the matrix first, thought it was a load of bull****. From actually watching the film proper, I regard it as one of my favourites.

tl:dr? Watching films from the start is better :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Hot Fuzz is fantastic, ahead of Shaun of the Dead for me.

same here, its fantastic, SOTD is good but really overrated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

since UPC cut us off, we only had RTE 1 last night, so my house mate and I watched the Client and Julie and Julia. both good films. The Client got a bit ridiculous towards the end though. and Amy Adams became a bit annoying in J&J but Meryl Streep is an absolute LEGEND!!! I love her!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Hot Fuzz - on TV3 right now.

What's great about this film is that I am always copping on to new jokes!!

Latest - "Forget it, Nicholas. It's Sandford."

That's what I love about Frost/Pegg outings, from Spaced to the films there are always tons of subtle little jokes and nods to classic films.

You are on your own there JD, I love Hot Fuzz if you have not watched it all do so. By just watching the ending you are missing out!

krudler wrote: »
    same here, its fantastic, SOTD is good but really overrated

I don't know that it is overrated, I think it is just tailor made for certain people, in the same way Spaced was.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

Stalag 17 - one of the first Hollywood POW movies and far better than the more famous titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I caught Snow White and the Huntsman during the week, after the recommendation of a friend. I should've listened to my instincts and stayed away from it - Kristen Stewart just doesn't seem capable of pulling off a decent performance. The film was long and it seemed to be very drawn out, which is painful when you're watching such a boring film. My advice, avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭UserName 217

Seen American Pie and Project X recently.

American Pie, I thought it was funny and just like the first two.

Project X, Thought it was good until the end bit.
    The man with the flame thrower, the whole film your thinking such a cool party can't get any more mad without being non-believable, and then your man comes out with a flame thrower etc.

Dempsey wrote: »
    I saw the end of the matrix first, thought it was a load of bull****. From actually watching the film proper, I regard it as one of my favourites.

tl:dr? Watching films from the start is better :pac:

Good point, I watched a chunk out of an early episode of 24 and hated it but shortly afterwards watched a full episode and became hooked. That said, Hot Fuzz is still a pile of parrot droppings - surely somebody else agrees with me?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Good point, I watched a chunk out of an early episode of 24 and hated it but shortly afterwards watched a full episode and became hooked. That said, Hot Fuzz is still a pile of parrot droppings - surely somebody else agrees with me?
    No one agrees with you, because you're wrong.

No one agrees with you, because you're wrong.

Is that an opinion or a fact?

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

That said, Hot Fuzz is still a pile of parrot droppings - surely somebody else agrees with me?

I agree with anger and venom!!!:mad:

I've turned off probably half a dozen films in all my years because of their sh1tness...and this pile of crap was one of them.

At one stage I thought I was watching a doc!!!!!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

While I don't agree with you entirely, 'Hot Fuzz' certainly doesn't live up to the promise of 'Shaun of the Dead', that's for sure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement