Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warriors 09 - Practical virgin runner seeks advice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

Hi everyone,
    I've decided to start a running log to keep the motivation up, I'm really serious about this training & want to be able for the Warriors run :D
    Here's the link
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055490396
    I've decided to wait until tomorrow to start logging because I want the whole diary in there, so I can look back & see how well I've progressed :D
    Pocabella, you should start one too and we can compare :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Pocabella

Good idea MoonDancer, I've already started a blog about my progress. Am I allowed to post it here? I'll post it and if it gets taken down then I'll just post me weekly progress on your one so we can compare notes. Hope you're getting on well, I'm in my second week of the Daniels plan. Finding it great. Won a little battle of the willls with myself to go out last night and felt so great after doing it!! Anyway, my blog is http://pocabella.wordpress.com/POp along and have a gawk. We can defo do this thing. It's really great having someone in the same position to bounce progress off. Take care for now. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 owenbjj

hi every one, would any one mind telling me what the warrior run is?

HI Owenbjj,

The warriors run is a 15/16k run that takes place as the pinnacle of the Warriors Festival in Strandhill in Sligo. The race starts at the seafront in strandhill and goes along an undulating road track. It then goes around to the back of the mountain Knocknarae, up to the top of the mountain, around the cairn on the top and back down again along the roads to the seafront. I have decided to do it this year despite having never done any running (competitive or recreational) before. Two weeks into a training plan so far. The race isn't until the 29th of August this year. Check it out. http://www.warriorsfestival.com/

owenbjj wrote: »
    hi every one, would any one mind telling me what the warrior run is?

It is a run up knocknarea mountain,
    Here's the link to the offical website
    http://www.warriorsfestival.com/
    Hope that helps :D

• Advertisement

wow, that looks mad. not just a boring marathon, sounds cool :cool:

Pocabella wrote: »
    HI Owenbjj,

The warriors run is a 15/16k run that takes place as the pinnacle of the Warriors Festival in Strandhill in Sligo. The race starts at the seafront in strandhill and goes along an undulating road track. It then goes around to the back of the mountain Knocknarae, up to the top of the mountain, around the cairn on the top and back down again along the roads to the seafront. I have decided to do it this year despite having never done any running (competitive or recreational) before. Two weeks into a training plan so far. The race isn't until the 29th of August this year. Check it out. http://www.warriorsfestival.com/

it looks very cool, what sort of training are you doing? how are you finding it?

Hi pocabella,
    You are some writer! Loved reading your blog! How did you find doing the 2min run/1min walk?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 GeraldineN

I've just read this thread and am soooo tempted to take up this challenge. I'm supposed to be doing Paris marathon in 7 weeks & to say my training hasn't been going well is an understatment. Also, I think that the fact I call my daughter Meabh it's calling out to me too - what a challenge it would be! I'll keep reading all your posts to keep up my interest and to make me more determined to do it!! Geraldine

MoonDancer wrote: »
    Hi pocabella,
    You are some writer! Loved reading your blog! How did you find doing the 2min run/1min walk?

Thank you very much MoonDancer. You are very complimentary! I'll keep posting there regularly so check in every now and again. And at the start of every week I'll put my previous week's training log on there so you can reference. THe 7 x (2 min/1 min) stint was tougher that the 10 x (1 min/1 min) but it wasn't quite as tough as I thought it was going to be. THat said, I'd given myself a two day rest from the last day's training as my shin was sore and I was also running on grass on the advice of t runner. Tonight I'll be back to the 7 x (2 min/1min) and I'll be back on hard ground so we'll see how I fare after that.
    How are you getting on yourself? Actually I'll go and check your training log!

• Advertisement

GeraldineN wrote: »
    I've just read this thread and am soooo tempted to take up this challenge. I'm supposed to be doing Paris marathon in 7 weeks & to say my training hasn't been going well is an understatment. Also, I think that the fact I call my daughter Meabh it's calling out to me too - what a challenge it would be! I'll keep reading all your posts to keep up my interest and to make me more determined to do it!! Geraldine

Geraldine defo do it. If you're already in training for a marathon then it won't be as hard for you. MoonDancer and I have come from nothing. I wouldn't even run for the last bus to paradise before this!!
    PLus the Maebh thing will make it a bit more sentimental for you.

Thanks for your response, you've really motivated me, my training is going well now eventually, and it is a challenge I'd love to do! I'll keep you posted!

Hello everyone, Running Training Blog updated. Three weeks in now. Feel like an Olympian. This is a record for me!!

:)http://pocabella.wordpress.com/:)

Well done Pocabella, you've really got the bug now, there's no stopping you. Loved the fact you told us what your 'reverse crunches' etc. were, I was just wondering how to do them, so thanks for that! You really are a great motivator!! Keep it up! Geraldine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Hi Folks, there is a proposed new route for the uphill section of the warriors run this year. This will mean a different route up and down to cope with expected very large numbers for the 25th anniversary.

There is an oppurtunity to test out the new route (mountain section) this sat 28th March at 10.30 am starting at mountain carpark. Everyone and all standards welcome. We will be breaking the climb into small sections taking a rest at the top of each and regrouping. No-one will be left behind, its just for fun and to check out the route.

We can give everyones feedback to the Warriors committee and they will decide whether or not to go ahead with it.

BTW online registration open now www.warriorsfestival.com (no manual registration this year).

If you cant make it but would like details of the route for training just PM me.

Dont Forget: 1000 euro for first male and female, club team prizes, race switched to saturday 29th August (not sunday) and therell be plenty of parties in Strandhill that night!

T Runner

Thanks for the info! You can count me in on Sat, I'll be there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Disappointed not to make this but will definitely hit knocknarea over the Easter break for a run. Training is going well but I have not done too much hill work yet.

Sound, I'll be there. Registered for the run yesterday. Go number 49!!!! NO number 49, don't lie don't lie down and go asleep!!! You're on the side of a mountain!! GET UP NUMBER 49!!!!

:)https://pocabella.wordpress.com/ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

No. 52 here :)

Training fell apart the last month / month and a half so have to get my finger out, holiday in a week or two and then 4 months to the event.

See your blog is featured on the Warriors festival site pocabella, fair play :D

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭mdlb

no. 46 here:):D

got great run in two weeks and then ill be heading for the hills......big old hill in silvermines with my name on it!! should see me right !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Bump!
    Lads, any feedback on how the proposed new route went down?
    I'm registering this year for sure now, is it definitely moved to the Saturday regardless of the route?

Is there a map of the new mountain route out of interest ?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Also is there any chance that an Easter meet could be organized as I am going to be going for a run on Knocknarea anyway.

Bump!
    Lads, any feedback on how the proposed new route went down?
    I'm registering this year for sure now, is it definitely moved to the Saturday regardless of the route?

Is there a map of the new mountain route out of interest ?

Hi Rovers Runner,

I was on the route on Saturday last with T-runner and some others. Instead of going up the normal path and coming back down that way, the proposed route starts about a mile down the road (if you come out of the car park, turn left and go for abouit a mile until you come to a lay-by on the left hand side of the road) We went in a gate opposite the lay-by and went straight up a field, through the gate at the top and then turned right along the fence and followed a sheep track along a wall that continued up the mountian for a few minutes. Then we went straight up a really steep bit and then followed the mountain around to the left along a multiple sheep track where you could see right out across sligo. We kept going until we hit a stone wall that went straight up the mountain and we followed that all the way up to the cairn. Then we went round the cairn and came back down the tourist track.

There may be a better way of describing that better but you'd have to ask t-runner.

I've never done the run before but I've been up the tourist track when I was younger. The new route is definitely more challenging but also more interesting. There's a really steep bit that would put hairs on your chest but the view's great after that part.

The new route if it goes through would mean that you'd avoid traffic with people coming up and down at the same time.

It's defo happening on Saturday regardless as far as I'm aware.

Hope this sheds a little light.

:)http://pocabella.wordpress.com/ :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Hi

Pocabellas description is very accurate there. I can send you a map if they PM me their emal address.
    Note the route is not finalized, the Warriors committee will decide based on feedback from the run last saturday and also on other concerns they may have.

Great runs by Poca, Moondancer, Hail da chimp amd others. We had 10 + out to test it.

The proposed new uphill is more challenging (and more rewarding) the downhill remains the same. The man and woman who wins the first prizes of 1000 euros will earn it!

There will be another Recce on the Easter weekend probably Easter saturday at 10.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Pocabella wrote: »
    Hi Rovers Runner,

I was on the route on Saturday last with T-runner and some others. Instead of going up the normal path and coming back down that way, the proposed route starts about a mile down the road (if you come out of the car park, turn left and go for abouit a mile until you come to a lay-by on the left hand side of the road) We went in a gate opposite the lay-by and went straight up a field, through the gate at the top and then turned right along the fence and followed a sheep track along a wall that continued up the mountian for a few minutes. Then we went straight up a really steep bit and then followed the mountain around to the left along a multiple sheep track where you could see right out across sligo. We kept going until we hit a stone wall that went straight up the mountain and we followed that all the way up to the cairn. Then we went round the cairn and came back down the tourist track.

There may be a better way of describing that better but you'd have to ask t-runner.

I've never done the run before but I've been up the tourist track when I was younger. The new route is definitely more challenging but also more interesting. There's a really steep bit that would put hairs on your chest but the view's great after that part.

The new route if it goes through would mean that you'd avoid traffic with people coming up and down at the same time.

It's defo happening on Saturday regardless as far as I'm aware.

Hope this sheds a little light.

:)http://pocabella.wordpress.com/ :)

Thanks for the update Pocabella, have an idea that lay by might be, around Rathcarrick woods ?
    Sounds as tough as the old course if not tougher so either way it'll be a challenge.

Thanks for that T Runner! but I have to admit I was a bit crap at that! :o I think I was the only one who had to actually sit down numerous times coming up that steep part! lol. Fair play to all of ye, you all flew through it, especially Pocabella! You sure impressed me!!! You kept up with all the proper Runners!!

When you come out of the car park you actually turn right going back towards Strandhill and that lay away is about a mile down that road.
    I enjoyed it. Torture, but a pure sense of accomplishment when you get to the top.

Thanks for that T Runner! but I have to admit I was a bit crap at that! :o I think I was the only one who had to actually sit down numerous times coming up that steep part! lol. Fair play to all of ye, you all flew through it, especially Pocabella! You sure impressed me!!! You kept up with all the proper Runners!!

When you come out of the car park you actually turn right going back towards Strandhill and that lay away is about a mile down that road.
    I enjoyed it. Torture, but a pure sense of accomplishment when you get to the top.

Whoops! Yeah I meant turn right, don't mind my navigational dyslexia. Thanks Moondancer but to be honest I think the fact that either of us were able for it at all is to our credit!! I'd like to see how i feel about going up the mountain after the run up from the cannon!!

It felt great coming back down alright. I was flying down and as a result my quads were in BITS on sunday and yesterday. I had to come down any stairs one at a time. The old eccentric training caught them off guard. There's no preparation for that sort of downhill running I suppose.

I'm defo on for another jaunt on Easter Saturday.

Are you going to do the Mountain again Easter Sunday? God you are flying it, I was reading your blog & now you're running for 10 mins! I still haven't been able to complete the 1st 4 weeks continuously, something always happens and I have to give it a break. I'm fed up & I want to progress!!! Last week I was in hospital due to an allergic reaction with breathing problems, but still tried the Mountain Sat. I was completely drained though. Today I went for the 10x 1min run half of it was on hills and I felt a whole lot better. I think I'm going to do two weeks more of the 1st plan & then move onto the next plan. And I also gave up smoking yesterday, I'm sure that'll help the most! That just shows you the determination right there! lol

Are you going to do the Mountain again Easter Sunday? God you are flying it, I was reading your blog & now you're running for 10 mins! I still haven't been able to complete the 1st 4 weeks continuously, something always happens and I have to give it a break. I'm fed up & I want to progress!!! Last week I was in hospital due to an allergic reaction with breathing problems, but still tried the Mountain Sat. I was completely drained though. Today I went for the 10x 1min run half of it was on hills and I felt a whole lot better. I think I'm going to do two weeks more of the 1st plan & then move onto the next plan. And I also gave up smoking yesterday, I'm sure that'll help the most! That just shows you the determination right there! lol

Hells bells Moondancer I can't believe you went up the mountain even though you were in hospital. Fair play x 1000,000! In fairness you are showing serious grit in sticking with it even though you've been sick. Hats 100% off to you.

Regarding the plan, I did three weeks on the first stage three on the second and that's why I'm on the third now. When I changed up to doing the 10 min stints it was hard enough but I'm getting used to it. Seeing as you've given up the fags you'll probably be able to do the same. YOu'll know yourself. If it's starting to get easier in the third week, change up on the fourth cos you want to keep yourself challenged to get fit.

Yeah I'd say I'll defo come back up on Easter weekend. It's good to get out of Dublin cos it stops me spending loads of money getting into a state in out on the piss (although I'd say Fentan who own's Harry's in Rosses Point would be to differ on the getting into a state issue :rolleyes: ) I'd say you'll be on for getting back up the mountain on Easter Saturday closer to the time.

• Advertisement

Yeah that's what I'll do, I might see how I am with 1 more week on 1st plan & move up then. Today on my last bit of the run, I ran uphill for 3 minutes just for the craic! So I know I can run 3 minutes uphill, it's probably all in my head that I'm not able for more than the 1st plan. I'm hoping to get back on the Mountain this weekend, but I need to find someone to go with me. That route we did Sat is a great workout!
    Talking about going out, geez, I haven't been out in ages. I'm not bothered much anymore because I usually want to get out for a run next day! I'm hooked I tell ya! :D

Advertisement