Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complete beginner's running log!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

hi moondancer best of luck with your training and log.
    plenty of knowledgeable people on here for any advice or support you might need.
    the only advice i can offer is, consistency is the key.
    if you train regularly you will run longer and faster.
    thats the beauty of this sport , if you train consistently and sensibly you will improve.
    best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 19,502 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Best of luck with the training plan, and giving up the ciggies.
    Interestingly, I found that as I trained more and more I had less need for the cigarettes. When you give 'em up, running is a great substitute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

To keep your motivation, you might want to try some other organised races before the Warriors Run.

If you are in the Sligo area, the local club organises Fit4Life runs every 2 weeks on a handicap system, started last week continuing until end of April aimed at beginners.

Should be details in the local papers, or I can send on if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Well done MoonDancer.

Run! When you start off you'll only be able to run for a bit but make sure you actually attempt to run.

You'll start off doing run a bit....walk a bit...run a bit...walk abit. But you will eventually be doing constant runs and increasing the distances and times.

Make sure you don't slack off, keep at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Well Done MoonDancer.
    I'm still walking most of the time and putting some jogs in as well. I'd be cycling as well if the OH would pump up the tyres and look at the breaks for me (cough cough....MCOS).
    It's slowly becoming addictive. Joining the 1000 mile challenge is definitely one way of helping you to run up the miles... No one wants to be at the bottom of the list :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

WOW, I wasn't expecting all these replies :D
    Thanks for the support everyone, it really means a lot :D
    I would definatly be intrested in the fit4life thing, would you mind passing on the info to me if possible?

Today I offically started the training!
    Here's how it went........

5 min warm up brisk walk
    10x(1 min run/1 min walk)
    5 min cool down walk
    Total mileage is 2.07 miles!

The 1st couple of of 1 min runs were a bit tough, but after the 2nd I was bursting with energy, it felt so good to get out there and actually run. Today was gorgeous outside & felt like spring was officially here!
    Note to self: bring a bottle of water next time, after the 5th min run I was so thirsty all I could think of was getting home, but I stuck it out :D

My mother babysat, she said to me when I was heading out the door... 'oh bring a jacket with you' Haha!!

According to the plan, it's a 3 day schedule, but I can add more days if I want to. I think I'm gonna stick to the 3 days running this week & maybe add a 4th one next week, don't want to do too much too soon.

Tomorrow will be an 'off' day :D

Yay, I'm doing it! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

MoonDancer wrote: »
    I would definatly be intrested in the fit4life thing, would you mind passing on the info to me if possible?

Today I offically started the training!
    Here's how it went........

5 min warm up brisk walk
    10x(1 min run/1 min walk)
    5 min cool down walk
    Total mileage is 2.07 miles!

The 1st couple of of 1 min runs were a bit tough, but after the 2nd I was bursting with energy, it felt so good to get out there and actually run. Today was gorgeous outside & felt like spring was officially here!
    Note to self: bring a bottle of water next time, after the 5th min run I was so thirsty all I could think of was getting home, but I stuck it out :D

My mother babysat, she said to me when I was heading out the door... 'oh bring a jacket with you' Haha!!

According to the plan, it's a 3 day schedule, but I can add more days if I want to. I think I'm gonna stick to the 3 days running this week & maybe add a 4th one next week, don't want to do too much too soon.

Tomorrow will be an 'off' day :D

Yay, I'm doing it! lol

Well done moondancer, thats a great start!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

MoonDancer wrote: »

Yay, I'm doing it! lol

For Sligo Fit4Life see:
    http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/?p=5584#more-5584

For the first one there were almost 80 participants with times up to 26 mins for 4km.
    There is also an 8k, women only in april, maybe something to aim towards.

DL

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Pocabella

Hey Moon Dancer,

How are you getting on? Good work on the starting yesterday! It feels great doesn't it. I'm in my second week now. I've never stuck at an exercise regime but I have high hopes for this. Where are you running? SLigo is it? I'd much prefer that scenery-wise to dublin at the moment. I'm keeping my running blog updated so feel free to keep track. I'll kepp popping in here! I assume you're running tonight if you were off last night. Best of luck with it!!

Pocabella
    :)http://pocabella.wordpress.com:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Well done on the start :)

• Advertisement

Well, this is just typical!
    I've been up all night last night nursing sick children & now today I'm not feeling too good either. Won't be any running for me today, I can barely walk up the stairs without feeling like my legs are gonna give way :(
    Typical, typical! But as soon as I am better, I will be out that door!!! :D

Heya MOondancer,

HOw you getting on. Hope the children are ok and you're feeling better. Did you get out at all? Hope it's going well for you. I have just updated on my blog. Spent ages writing so will let you read progress there. ALso will have week's training log up too later on. Three weeks in. This is a record for me!!

Hi Pocabella,
    Haven't been out since, my son is in Hospital at the moment, he's OK just got a bad dose poor fella.
    Well done to you, you're doing really well, I still haven't done a whole week yet. Once things get back to normal & everyone is better I'm gonna be back into the training :D
    Nice to hear from you,
    Keep up the good work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

that's good going Moondancer

Keep up the good progress

Finally able to get back into this!!
    I went to the gym yesterday & spent some time on the treadmill, I was too embarrased to do the 1 minute walk & 1 min jog while everyone was there so I decided to do my own thing.

5 min warm-up walk
    6 x 3 min jog - 30 second walk (random setting on treadmill so had some hills)
    5 min cool down walk.

I think it's way easier to run on the treadmill then to run on the road, which is probably why I didn't collapse after 3 mins of running & only 30 seconds recover walk!

I'm going out tonight so it'll prob be Sunday when I get out for another run :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Fairplay on getting back into it. I found the Treadmill great when starting off, but honestly know you can't beat the open doors. It takes a bit of getting used to, but there's nothing like getting out for a run on a Weekend Morning, when you know half the country are probably still in bed nursing their respective hangovers. :pac:

I made myself go out for a run inspite of being out the night before!
    I went out with my brother who is an experienced runner, feeling sorry for him having to stop and walk with me I decided to just run as long as I could and take as little recovery time as I could.
    It averaged out about
    3 min warm up walk
    3 minute run 30 second walk
    After about a mile & half of this I was worn out and the running time got less and less and the last 10 mins I had to walk.
    We did a total of about 3 miles
    I will be taking today off and going out for another run tomorrow sticking to the Daniels running plan.

I wasn't able to get out today for a run, so for compensation, I'll be getting up at dawn for a part mountain hike part run!!!
    I think that should make up for me missing a day!! :D

Roddy23 wrote: »
    Fairplay on getting back into it. I found the Treadmill great when starting off, but honestly know you can't beat the open doors. It takes a bit of getting used to, but there's nothing like getting out for a run on a Weekend Morning, when you know half the country are probably still in bed nursing their respective hangovers. :pac:

Thank you :D I know what you mean, I'm so delighted with myself that I went out the next morning after a night out. It made for a great start to the day with the improving weather :D

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭findingfitness

Hey moondancer

Fair play for getting out there... Im not long at all this either and you will be amazed at how fast you see improvements. I went out for a run today and one of the neighbours actually pulled her car up on the road cause she had to tell me that she was impressed I was out running and that she was just starting to herself.... she also said that I had lost weight which of course is lovely to hear... funny thing is I havent hardly lost a pound but my shape is changing really fast.... so keep up the good work the only advice I will give you is dont be a bit embarrased about other people in the gym everyone started somewhere and they wont take a bit of notice... and dont try and keep up with people to start with anyway cause you have to take things at your own pace..... happy running.

• Advertisement

Hey moondancer

Fair play for getting out there... Im not long at all this either and you will be amazed at how fast you see improvements. I went out for a run today and one of the neighbours actually pulled her car up on the road cause she had to tell me that she was impressed I was out running and that she was just starting to herself.... she also said that I had lost weight which of course is lovely to hear... funny thing is I havent hardly lost a pound but my shape is changing really fast.... so keep up the good work the only advice I will give you is dont be a bit embarrased about other people in the gym everyone started somewhere and they wont take a bit of notice... and dont try and keep up with people to start with anyway cause you have to take things at your own pace..... happy running.

you are right! I've just started to realise that, I have to go at my own pace or it's asking for trouble!
    Thank you for the kind words & good luck yourself with the training :D

Yesterday I did the top part of Knocknarea Mountain, I must have been insane to think I could run some of it! I still have a long way to go to be ready for the Warriors run! I have decided that it might be a good idea if I go out & climb the Mountain once a week if I can.
    I have also decided that I need to start some hill running seeing as this training is mainly so I'll be fit to complete the warriors run this year.
    I'll be going out for a run later today :D

Edited to add, while everyone was sound asleep in bed, I had my breakfast beside the Cairn of Knocknarea Mountain!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

That sounds really nice! Beautiful day for it yesterday too.

How's your son doing btw?

That sounds really nice! Beautiful day for it yesterday too.

How's your son doing btw?

It was, so beautiful!!!
    He's a lot better, he got a really bad cold & multiple infections & got badly dehydrated, so he needed to stay in hospital for 4 days. Thankfully he's recovered quickly & back to his normal self. Thanks for asking :D

Today's plan is
    5 min warm up walk
    7x 2 min run, 1 min walk.
    4 min cool down walk
    I only managed to run 4 times out of 7. Energy levels are really low today, might be too many late nights catching up on me as the diet is good.

Heya Moondancer,

Well done on getting back on the horse. You are so lucky to be living in Sligo, so many beautiful places to run. We have a cottage down there and I wish I was there all the time. HOpe you are getting on well. I know what you mean about the keeping your own pace, I have my pace and I went out with a mate who's eleven inches taller than me and he outstrided me big time! Keep up the good work. I'm still training too, so much fitter than at the start but a really long way to go too, going down to do the mountain this weekend though. Can't wait.
    Take care and happy training!

:)http://pocabella.wordpress.com/ :)

Thanks Pocabella!!
    You are doing really well, You're way ahead of me in the training! next time you're in Sligo we should meet up for the craic and go for a run! and pints later! :D lol

I'm going to have to take some time off training as today I was in hospital with an allergic reaction to a shot the doc gave me today. Believe me, that was NOT fun!!! and the last time I'll be taking that medicine!

I only took 3 days off training. Saturday I met up with the fellow boards runners & we ran up Knocknarea Mountain to check out the possible new Warriors route. (lucky me!)
    Did a slow jog about a mile, had to walk about 3 times- I wouldn't mind that, but it was downhill! :o
    We had a very steep uphill climb in the fields for about another mile, I was crap at that, even needed to sit down a few times! :o Maybe 3 day's rest from hospital wasn't enough because I felt very weak.
    As soon as the steepest part was over, I managed to get some strength and run around the cairn & run the whole way back to the carpark without getting out of breath, which I am very proud of!
    I think the whole lot was about 4.5 miles

I've noticed people are dating their logs, something I never thought of doing! So here I am copying you!! :D

5 min warm up walk
    10x 1 min run- 1 min walk.
    That was the offical plan, but I felt like I could run longer after a couple of 1 minute runs, and I didn't need the whole 1 minute walk to catch my breath so I just walked 20-30 seconds & went ahead with about 2 minute runs, on a very hilly road.
    At the end of the run, I decided to keep running uphill till I got home for 3 minutes just for the craic, I managed it, Wrecked at the top, but I did it!
    total of 2 miles. Most of it was ran too.
    Could this be an improvement!!?? I hope so! :D

I'm also off the fags- 3 days today.

• Advertisement

Today I did
    5 min warm up walk
    7 x 2 min run, 1 min walk.
    4 min cool down walk
    Total mileage 2.5

I also threw a massive hill in there about 400 Metres! (massive to me!) Really steep & I managed to run the whole way up, and back down again.

I can see the fitness improving slightly. I'm not half as knackered as I was & definitely the recovery time is getting less.
    Looking back, the first time I ever ran, I was puffed out & gasping for air after running just 40 seconds! I'll be running with the pro's soon! :cool:

Advertisement