Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warriors 09 - Practical virgin runner seeks advice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 GeraldineN

Warriors Run - 29/08/2009
    stmochtas
    MoonDancer
    rovers_runner
    T_Runner
    GoHard
    Geld ( Have had to pull out - flu place gone to someone on the witing list)
    Hail 2 Da Chimp
    mdlb
    Geraldine (a very nervous!)

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

15 hours to go & this time tomorrow it'll be all over & some of us will be drunk :D

Good luck to everyone at the race :D

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

Cant wait:)
    Just back from a walk up the new route seems a lot longer than the usual way.

BRING IT ON

Best of luck everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

good morning here in Strandhill, little wind, nice cool dry conditions for running thus far. Let's hope it stays dry till 4pm..
    The organisers are really on top of it so far, the road is coned off already.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Hopefully it will stay dry (until I get down the mountain at least :pac:)

Best of luck to everyone doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Warriors Run - 29/08/2009
    stmochtas
    MoonDancer
    rovers_runner
    T_Runner
    GoHard
    Geld ( Have had to pull out - flu place gone to someone on the waiting list)
    Hail 2 Da Chimp
    mdlb
    Geraldine (a very nervous!)
    Qweeva! - local expert

Can't decide between Asics Kayanos or Salomon Speed Cross 2s!

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

Results are now up on the website http://www.warriorsfestival.com/content/results

Looking forward to hear how everyone got on. Just curious to know did everyone wear their ordinary road runners or did you go for any of the trail variety?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭SligoL

geld wrote: »
    Results are now up on the website http://www.warriorsfestival.com/content/results

Looking forward to hear how everyone got on. Just curious to know did everyone wear their ordinary road runners or did you go for any of the trail variety?

The legs are a bit sore today ;) Delighted with the race, wanted to do it sub 90 and just barely did, so v.happy with it. The mountain was tough, practically crawled up. Will definitely be doing more hills work before NEXT YEAR'S RACE!!!!!! Hope everyone is still alive and kicking after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

geld wrote: »

I wore my road runners (Asics Kayanos). Definitely the way to go for this race. There were a few slippy moments but not enough to justify wearing trail/mountain runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Wore my Brooks running shoes and slipped just the once. Running shoes are the way to go. If they have a good grip all the better. Finished in 1:27 and happy to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Article about the race in todays Irish Times.

Indeed, Kenyan-born Josphat Boit, first past the finishing line with a time of 53 minutes........was basking in the rapturous applause of thousands of spectators when a giant screen at the beach front showed other runners just circling the massive cairn where Maeve is reputed to have been buried, standing upright and facing Ulster.

Good enough quote and gives an idea of what a good experience it was for spectator and athlete alike. The crowds were enormous!

Josphat Boit took the win although he didn't have it his own way. He had national steeplechase runner up Emmet Dunleavy for company and these two led all the way to the mountain. Emmet didnt have enough time to transistion to the longer event after the track season but its only a matter of time before he wins this event.

Last years winner Owen Gahan had a tremendous climb nn the mountain moving into second and then to within striking distance of the Kenyan at the summit Cairn. Gahn passed him quickly early in the descent but Boit, although confident of his speed on the upcoming 6k of road could not afford to concede too much time to Gahan. Boit showed the true grit by keeping Gahan's advantage after the mountain to a mere 5 seconds. Boit quickly caught up and pushed on to secure a 45 second win although it wasnt quite comfortable.

John Lenihan recovering from a groin injury that had him sidelined for most of the last month had a steady race and once he was through the mountain let loose and pushed for home. It looked like 4th place might have been in range but he unluckily injured his calf 3k out and showed tremendous courage to finish holding hi splace in sixth. A fast finishing Peterx probably could have caught him (just 5 seconds adrift) only for the destraction of having to swat off a local competitor.
    It was a lesson to me watching Lenihan fight for his life for that last place even when injury had meant that he was a lot further than the front than he would have liked to have been. Whether he is winning the world championships in Zermatt or fighting for sixth place in a race in Strandhill the man's attitude does not change.
    The womens race was wide open with a suprise win for Anne Fitzpatrick of Belfast in a time of 75 mins.

Well done to Pocabella, Moondancer, SligoL, STmochtas Gohard and all the other Boards posters (how did you get on Geraldine and everyone else ?).

I wont go on about organisation too much but my opinion is that at 30 euro a head competitors got the best value value per Euro of any similar event in Ireland. I think the organisers showed what competitors should expect in return when handing over this type of money and have raised the bar big time.

One leading member of Newcastle AC from county Down, said that the organisation was superior to the Belfast marathon.Im not from the organising committee myself BTW but am from the area and was deloighted with how my community came out to make it a happy and memorable weekend for everyone.

The same Newcastle AC showed that Queen Maeve was pointing the right direction with a determined raid for the team prize. They were thwarted by the men of IMRA led home by John Lenihan.

Congrats on breaking the Sub 1 Hr T runner and winning first local!
    Thanks for all the help!

Congrats on breaking the Sub 1 Hr T runner and winning first local!
    Thanks for all the help!

Thanks Hail, How did you get on yourself? It was some party around the beach after!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭bren74

I have to say Saturdays race was one of the best racing events I have ever experienced. The challenging course, amazing setting, first class organisation and phenomenal support has firmly established the Warriors on my racing calendar. I never ran a hill race before but I will never forget the feeling of running by the cairn with the pain in my calf’s dissipating and been replaced by pure adrenalin hurtling down the hill. Support on all sections was fantastic and did Standhill proud.
    As for my race I was delighted with 65.45s, I had strong road sections, but fell back a bit on the hill. Overall very pleased as I had a rest week post track two weeks ago.
    T-runner - great posts and advice in the run up to the event
    I will definitely be back next year.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭machintoshlover

Have to agree with the other posters that the organisation was top notch as well as the support.

Thanks for all the advice T runner - it really was invaluable and your tactic of taking it easy worked spot on! Also congratulations on getting under the hour mark.

I didn't beat my intended target of getting sub 70 but was in in 73 mins so I beat last yrs time and am determined to get this sub 70 next year!

Well done to everybody else who took part - it was one tough run and hope ye were happy on the day.

bren74 wrote: »

Dead right Verdana, thanks a million for all the advice, it was great knowing what training to do/what to eat and drink before the race. Cannot WAIT to do it again next year, although I'll be running more hills in preparation for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

Well thank god it's over! I felt like quitting as soon as we got on that hill after the church! I finished it in 2hrs 3mins, more then double your time T runner! lol
    So next year I'd like to get 1hr 45 at least. 1:30 would be even better, but thats way out of my league!
    All the people that have no time on the result page, did they not finish or something?
    Did anyone hear of any injuries from the Mountain part? It was hard enough trying to run I was afraid I'd break my ankle!
    Fair play to all the locals, they cheered me on & it got me through the last part of the race :D

bren74 wrote: »
    I have to say Saturdays race was one of the best racing events I have ever experienced. The challenging course, amazing setting, first class organisation and phenomenal support has firmly established the Warriors on my racing calendar. I never ran a hill race before but I will never forget the feeling of running by the cairn with the pain in my calf’s dissipating and been replaced by pure adrenalin hurtling down the hill. Support on all sections was fantastic and did Standhill proud.
    As for my race I was delighted with 65.45s, I had strong road sections, but fell back a bit on the hill. Overall very pleased as I had a rest week post track two weeks ago.

Thanks Bren.

That was most definately the best part of the race-that flat section before the Cairn-pure heaven. You can actually see both Nephin and Errigal on a clear day from that spot if youd time to look around.

In one sense the old route was more brutal in that you were forced to turn around and descend while not recovered from the pain of the climb.

I also liked that there was a transition into the offroad climb also: the first 200-300m off road werent that steep relatively speaking.

T runner wrote: »
    Thanks Hail, How did you get on yourself? It was some party around the beach after!

I did OK, got 1:19 but thought I'd have done better. Have a knee injury that decided to flair up as soon as I got off the mountain, which was a pity as I was actually fresh enough and had a good time coming off the mountain.
    Was in the Strand after, missed the fireworks too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Best race I've been too.
    Amazing community involvement, very very well organised, huge crowds, great racing, good party afterwards, very dodgy trophies - this race has it all!
    It would be easy to say a lot of other races could look to this one but what it really shows me is that excellence in organisation should be a given but an atmosphere comes from engaging the local community. This was amazing, a fine way to cap the summer fun.
    The hospitality was fantastic and even extended to T runners brother cooking up a munchies fry at 3am!
    John Lenihan is a legend, it's always amazing to race against him. He passed me on the road section after I'd passed him on the mountain descent and he just kept going even though it sounded and looked like he should collapse in pain and suffering. Dion McNeilly also showed there's hope for us all with a fine 4th place, not too shabby for a 46 year old man..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Baluba

Howyiz. Ran the race with Pocabella's gang, had a great weekend, enjoyed the race and will go again next year if I'm free.

I think there was only the one non-finisher, one of our lads collapsed somewhere around the turn onto the main road back into Strandhill and ended up in Sligo general, disturbing both my post-race celebrations and the footy on in the pub (some people have no consideration). Dehydration seems to have been the main culprit. He has pretty much recovered physically at this stage, but his pride has been scheduled in for 8 weeks of intense physio.

The other names on the list are folk who registered but didn't compete, with two broken toes; a lack of training; and a possible mental breakdown detailing the demise of three of them.

Twas my first race too, and also the furthest I've ever run, so I was a bit freaked out before the race. Took it easy along the start but then found myself stuck in the throngs going up the mountain where, in general, I found it pretty tricky to overtake. Will never know for certain, but this may have left me with extra juice for the last few k, I was able to fly down the mountain (only 1 fall!) and picked it up from just after the roundabout (1k to go?) for a strong finish that almost killed me. 72 minutes, with the feeling I could take 5 off next year with some more training and a bit of knowledge of the course (hadn't seen the course before either, looking up to my left as we approached the hill was a bit scary).

Well done to the rest of the folk here, I had scanned this thread every now and then to see if I could pick up any tips, so thanks for your comments.

Here's to the top 50 next year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭sobriquet

Another happy finisher here, and like many others I want to pass on massive thanks to T Runner who's been so helpful and inspiring online and off, and congrats again on a great race and well deserved first local.

Great to meet stmochtas and hail 2 da chimp briefly too, congrats to them and everyone who competed. @ Stmochtas - sub 80 next year for definite; @ hail - all going well I'll be trying to join you for a sub 75 finish... My first time doing it was 102 minutes of murder, never thought I'd be saying that.

Big thanks to the organisers too, I have to say they pulled off a great weekend overall. Makes me proud to say it's my local race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭sfhawke7w

as a former local, even though still consider myself a local, great to hear such positive reports, to believe that only a few years ago there was talk of there not being a warriors run, my dad did his 16th warriors this weekend and for 63yrs of age knocked 27secs off last years time coming in at 1hr 18mins, personally think he is mad doing it,but admire him so much, he mentioned that new route meant no overtaking like the old route but maybe that is why times were good as not as mad going up and down the normal route which i find a killer doing on at a normal pace and people had more energy doing the rest of the run.

we do a water station outside my parents house every year and were quite surprised how clean and unmucky people were as figured would be quite mucky.

to everyone that took part congrats and well done and hopefully it will stay as is becuase it is a good challenge and if a person never does it again to say you have done it is enough.

might even consider doing it next year but then i can go sit on queen maeve any day of week!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 GeraldineN

Ok so my legs are a bit sore today, but the craic that I had far outweighs the pain. I took it slow and steady as instructed by T Runner, and steadily plodded my way round the course, meeting Moon Dancer was a great coincidence!! Running along chatting with her and she said to me 'Are you Geraldine by any chance'!! What's the chances!! Had a really fab day which continued long into the night! The marshalls, other runners, crowds, atmosphere was fantastic, had a ball, and although I came in long after others, the cheers I got crossing, you'd thought I won! My family had a ball too. Thanks T Runner for all your advice, I was thinking about your words of wisdom on my way round. Will definitely do this again next year - still can't wipe the smile off my face!! :D

Just to let everyone know that apparently, Nationwide are doing a feature on the Warriors Run on RTE One @ 7pm on Wednesday. Personally, I'm hoping that I don't make an appearance.....

sobriquet wrote: »
    Great to meet stmochtas and hail 2 da chimp briefly too, congrats to them and everyone who competed. @ Stmochtas - sub 80 next year for definite; @ hail - all going well I'll be trying to join you for a sub 75 finish... My first time doing it was 102 minutes of murder, never thought I'd be saying that.

Hey Sobriquet, where abouts did I meet you? I know I met a few boardsies alright but can't put a (user)name to the face.
    The last 4 years my times have been:
    1:23
    1:17
    1:18
    1:19

God damn it, I thought I'd get under 1:15 this year, no joy though. Finished the mountain section at 48mins and felt really good at that stage, so thought I'd be able to pull a sprint finish out of the bag...

Some photos HERE

If anyone finds more let us know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Ben777

Hi, Completed the Warriors Run on Saturday and had a great time. Just took up running 11 weeks ago (apart from weekly 20 mins on the treadmill in the gym) - Went Round in 1.36 but would like to have went around in less than 90 mins. Event, People, organisers and volunteers all great and would do it again.

Whats the advice for a person new to running to increase times etc - Is there any other fell runs in N Ireland / Ireland coming up like this again?

Thanks
    B

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭bren74

SligoL wrote: »
    Just to let everyone know that apparently, Nationwide are doing a feature on the Warriors Run on RTE One @ 7pm on Wednesday. Personally, I'm hoping that I don't make an appearance.....

I've heard this from numerous people but Nationwide isnt in the TV listings for today apart from a repeat at 03.15 tonight -
    Anyone know for sure when its on?

Advertisement