Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warriors 09 - Practical virgin runner seeks advice

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

TURFMAN wrote: »
    T-runner

Is the new section of the route reasonably well marked out and/or easy to follow?

Also, it has been rumoured that Adam Bowden from the UK is taking part this year.
    Can you confirm ?

The new section will be well marked and flagged all the way. There is a wall that goes from a north south direction at the back of the summit Cairn. The last 400 metres of the climb are along this wall (in a south to north direction) although most of the climbing is done at that stage. You dont have to remeber all that just giving you an idea if your familiar with where that wall is.
    It descends down the old route.

I heard that Adam Bowden has not registered. He was due to race and apparently he was preparing his travel arrangements so I dont know what happened.

Its a pity because as the (current?) British steeplechase champion and international triathlete he would have been one of the favourites for the win and a good one for the organisers to have there.

There are a few more of his ilk running though although attempts to extract more names from the organisers have so far proven unsuccessful.

Id expect the course to run maybe a minute quicker for the fastest runner than the old course. Outside the top 20-30 I think the course will start to run slower as more time is lost by runners on less mileage (less leg strenght) and more pacing errors are made slowing times over the mountain and on the long 4 miles of road back to Strandhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Pocabella

I'll be there, still training. Haven't had the internet in case people thought I dropped off the face of the planet!

stmochtas wrote: »
    Warriors Run - 29/08/2009
    stmochtas

Roll call for the warriors as the thread has been quiet, just wondering who will be there. A bit of niggle myself but intend to be at the start line.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 GeraldineN

My training hasn't been going according to plan to say the least! Now after reading about the climb bit, I'm doubting my ability! Don't know what to do, wouldn't mind coming last, but to start it and not finish wouldn't be good, 2 weeks training left, is it still do-able? Geraldine

GeraldineN wrote: »
    My training hasn't been going according to plan to say the least! Now after reading about the climb bit, I'm doubting my ability! Don't know what to do, wouldn't mind coming last, but to start it and not finish wouldn't be good, 2 weeks training left, is it still do-able? Geraldine

Hi Geraldine,

Its still very doable. The point about the climb is that you must run easily out to it. The vast majority of people will walk most of the climb.
    When a race starts people tend to get excited and the adrenaline rush can make them go harder at the start. It is not the distance that is the problem generally its people going out too fast.

If youre training is a bit short a conservative approach is best. Go out easy (it should not feel too hard). When you reach the climb you will be relatively strong and will get through it. (its a walk, a slog, but just a walk).

Youll get a great buzz when you reach the top. Again hold back and relax going down in preparation for the road run back.

The last couple of miles will be tough but youll get there.

I would suggest:

Get a long run in an evening this week. If youre in Sligo Do 5k before the tourist climb, go up and down and do 5k after. Nice and easy, just get through it. As part of your training for the weekend go up and down the mountain again. If youre in Sligo town get your hands on a bike and cycle out and back.

This will make the mountain section more comfortable for you on the day and if you pace it right before the mountain the long run will help you get home on the run after the mountain.

Take an energy gel at the water station after the mountain on race day.
    This is a little sachet of liquid, high in energy which you take with water. It gives you a boost and will get you an extra mile or two to Strandhill (maybe all the way) comfortably. You can get them in any cycling shop. Practicw it on your long run.

Put a good week in this week and youll be fine. Rest up for a couple of days before the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 GeraldineN

Thanks so much for your advice T-runner - that's twice you've helped me! I'll take on board all your words of wisdom - calm down and enjoy the day! but get the training in this week (unfortunately I'm in Belfast, but I do have the Cavehill beside me that I was supposed to do the training on, but will this week!) Thanks again, Geraldine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭SligoL

Loving all your advice T Runner, thanks!

Do you think climbing the tourist climb on Sunday is too close to the race? I was planning on doing my last long run (the road section of the route) on Saturday (22nd) and shorter runs during the week before the race. If I climbed the tourist climb on Sunday 23rd, would that still give my legs enough time to recover before the weekend?

Getting quite nervous I have to say....

SligoL wrote: »
    Loving all your advice T Runner, thanks!

Do you think climbing the tourist climb on Sunday is too close to the race? I was planning on doing my last long run (the road section of the route) on Saturday (22nd) and shorter runs during the week before the race. If I climbed the tourist climb on Sunday 23rd, would that still give my legs enough time to recover before the weekend?

Getting quite nervous I have to say....

Hi SligoL,

If you havent done that much downhill running up to now I would do the tourist climb at the weekend but take it very easy on the descent.

Running hard downhill can cause a lot of muscle pain in the thighs for a few days after the first time but is not painful subsequently.

You could do a run there some evening this week.

The important thing about practising the climb is getting used to walking up a steep uphill. You could jog/walk easily as far as the gate half way up and then walk to the top. Jog/walk easily back to the gate and up you go again.
    Dont kill yourself with the pace, nice and controlled, hands on knees to help your legs. Your breathing will be hard but keep it under control.

It will take you under 10 mins from the gate up so similar to the actual race which has 2 steep bits.

Another possibility:

If you are up and top and want to see the last bit of the race climb then follow the wall at the bak of the cairn left (south). There is a sheep track beside this wall which is the last part of the climb follow the sheep track until it goes downhill for a while.

So in this case go up the mountain via tourist track take a left at cairn folow the sheep track until it goes down for a while and then run back up it.

Very Easy on the downhill.

Good luck

Thanks a million T Runner, all advice is very welcome at this point. My hills work has been lacking, so while I'm comfortable enough doing the distance, I'm quite worried about the hills.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

wish i had seen this thread months ago!! looks like il be waiting til nxt yr. I posted in this forum about a running club/group in strandhill, sligo. if anyone is interested here is a link

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055653586

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

frag420 wrote: »
    wish i had seen this thread months ago!! looks like il be waiting til nxt yr. I posted in this forum about a running club/group in strandhill, sligo. if anyone is interested here is a link

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055653586

http://sligoac.blogspot.com/

I believe they cater for all levels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭leana

i had entered a few weeks ago but due to injury my physio says the warriors is a definate no-no this year. anyone know how to give my place back or pass it on to someone. i'm sure there are still plenty of people out there looking to enter.

P

leana wrote: »
    i had entered a few weeks ago but due to injury my physio says the warriors is a definate no-no this year. anyone know how to give my place back or pass it on to someone. i'm sure there are still plenty of people out there looking to enter.

P

Hi Leana,

Sorry to hear about the injury. I believe they have a waiting list of runners so you should be able to unregister. email them: info[@]warriorsfestival[dot]com
    and see what they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Narraweena

Lena
    Sorry to hear you can't make the run, I'm currently on the waiting list so it'd be a great help to those of us on the waiting list if you let the committee know you are not running before Friday as the list is to be finalised this weekend. thanx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭machintoshlover

Hey guys

What kind of times are you guys hoping to get? Im going to try run sub 75 but with this new route not so sure!

How is the training going with a week and a half left? - I ran the old course today - I got around it but was fairly slow going - hoping for improvement on the day - just going to do some shorter runs and a bit of hill running and not doing anything past next Wednesday.

Anyway best of luck to everybody-its a great run which is always run in good spirit with some great craic afterwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

I'm just hoping the broom wagon doesn't pick me up! :o

Haha, that is my one true fear!! I think I'd rather hide in a bush or start the long walk back to town rather than be carted back to the strand on the slowcoach bus!!!

I was hoping for a time of under 90 minutes but I'm thinking now, realistically, it'll be more like 100.

Got my Guide to Warriors Run email there.

Looks like they're going all out: Runners village, hydration tent, physios, fireworkd etc.

There is a bad rumour going around that some runners who didnt get registered intend to have a go at the race unregistered.

This is obviously a bad idea for safety reasons as the organisers have prepared meticulously to deal with and ensure the safety of 800 registetered people on the mountain and have capped the number for this reason. Anyway looks like anyone trying it will only get the 4.5 k or so till the offroad section. there will be marshalls on the gate to the offroad sections on the lookout.

Anyway I doubt anyone here is planning it but if you here of anyone thinking of it please dissuade them. Relevant section of the guide quoted below.

6 days to go and had a final fast continuos run at race pace this morning.
    Will start easing up now and looking for forward to having a good cut at it on saturday.
    Please note that an entry cap of 800 Runners was placed on this years race for safety purposes. There has been many people who unfortunatley left it too late to register. Some have stated they may join in anyway untimed for fun. This defeats the purpose of the safety cap.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL AN UNREGISTERED PERSON BE ALLOWED TAKE PART IN THE RUN ON THE DAY. MARSHALLS WILL BLOCK ANY/ALL
    RUNNERS WITHOUT A BIB NUMBER, CHIP OR WRISTBAND OR ASK GARDAI TO REMOVE THEM FROM THE COURSE.

We would be grateful if you could pass this message along to anyone you know who may be hoping to do this to avoid embarrasment.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

T runner wrote: »
    Hi Leana,

Sorry to hear about the injury. I believe they have a waiting list of runners so you should be able to unregister. email them: info[@]warriorsfestival[dot]com
    and see what they say.

I have had to pull out as well due to a dose of the flu. I phoned the no on the website and they will be giving my place to someone on the waiting list. I hope that this has made someone on the list happy!

I am gutted as this was one race I had earmarked this year. They will be refunding my entry fee in the next week or so. Doesn't happen with many other races!

Best of luck to everyone in the race. Hope you enjoy it and tks T runner for all the good advice and input to this and the other Warrior threads.

Roll on 2010!

geld wrote: »
    I have had to pull out as well due to a dose of the flu. I phoned the no on the website and they will be giving my place to someone on the waiting list. I hope that this has made someone on the list happy!

I am gutted as this was one race I had earmarked this year. They will be refunding my entry fee in the next week or so. Doesn't happen with many other races!

Best of luck to everyone in the race. Hope you enjoy it and tks T runner for all the good advice and input to this and the other Warrior threads.

Roll on 2010!

Sorry to hear that Geld.

Maybe pick out another race to act as a replacement this year.

Powerscourt Ridge is a very tough all out mountain race. THeres a few great road races in the west and dublin coming up too. Maybe have a go at the cross country season? Plenty to look forward to.

Well be doing some training on the course later this year for next year so will post up in good time about that.

Sorry to hear that Geld.

Powerscourt Ridge is a very tough all out mountain race.

It certainly is. Have done it a few times and will do it again in Oct. Rest well this week everyone.

• Advertisement

More advice T Runner.....we'd be lost without you!

What is your opinion on food and hydration on the day of the run? In any runs I've done recently, they've been early in the morning so I've had an early breakfast. However, I'm not sure what to eat that day and whether to drink much water.

As always, your opinion would be appreciated :)

SligoL wrote: »
    More advice T Runner.....we'd be lost without you!

What is your opinion on food and hydration on the day of the run? In any runs I've done recently, they've been early in the morning so I've had an early breakfast. However, I'm not sure what to eat that day and whether to drink much water.

As always, your opinion would be appreciated :)

Hi SligoL

Eat well (healthily) this week and drink plenty of fluids. Cut out any snacks unhealthy stuff if possible.

Maybe have a substantial meal of pasta the day before the race. You wont feel too hungry in the morning. On the day of the race have a substantial breakfast lunch maybe about 3.5-4 hrs before the race. Dont eat too much but eat enough so youre not hungry at race start. You need that time for the digestive system. Sip on fluids during the morning (dont overdo). I usually drink 500ml sports drink between 90-40 mins before race start. You dont need to drink after that (maybe a sip of water) as you will be well hydrated from the week and it will just mean an unwanted visit to the loo close to race start.

The conditions look to be cool but there may be sun. If there is any sun the climb will be hot as we are climbing the south side of the mountain for a lot of the climb. If you need to have a supporter with a sports drink for you at the far side of the mountain.

If you start easy you will take a lot of the sting out of the mountain.
    Basically-start easy and youll finish fast!

Hi T Runnner,

Thanks a million, I'll follow your advice to a "T"!!

Cheers

I hear there are going to be 6 video cameras at the race including one on a hoist for the descent (if its not too windy) so keep smiling!

Nationwide have a slot on it the following wednesday and the rest of the race will be kept for the Warriors Run archives and hopefully they will stick it up for us to look at!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

stmochtas
    MoonDancer
    rovers_runner
    T_Runner
    GoHard
    Geld
    Hail 2 Da Chimp

Looking forward to this now... Well, looking forward to the pub afterwards :pac:

I hear there are going to be 6 video cameras at the race including one on a hoist for the descent (if its not too windy) so keep smiling!

No way!!? will they be transmitted back to the cannon where people can get a live feed?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭mdlb

stmochtas
    MoonDancer
    rovers_runner
    T_Runner
    GoHard
    Geld
    Hail 2 Da Chimp
    mdlb

MoonDancer wrote: »
    No way!!? will they be transmitted back to the cannon where people can get a live feed?

Not 100% sure on that Moondancer. Hopefully they will have the live feed. I know they will be editing it and showing in the marquis that evening though which will be good for the runners too.

BTW if anyone has a supporter taking photos that they could put on the net Im sure the organisers would link to it if ye sent them the link.

stmochtas
    MoonDancer
    rovers_runner
    T_Runner
    GoHard
    Geld ( Have had to pull out - flu place gone to someone on the witing list)
    Hail 2 Da Chimp
    mdlb

• Advertisement

Oh no Geld! Sorry to hear. Typical isn't it!
    Hope you get better soon!

Advertisement